Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercury Sable Problems

Comments

• Options
    harmarharmar Member Posts: 94
    Is your "Micron air filter" the "cabin air filter" my '99 Sable has? If so, I just had mine replaced. My service manager (an honest man) tells me it is located under the cover/moulding at the lower edge of the windshield. The wipers must be removed, then the cover to get at it. The part cost me $35 + .3 hour to install. Good luck!
  • Options
    brad5280brad5280 Member Posts: 11
    My '95's headlights (low beam only) were going out. When I jiggled the directional arm, they would come back.(which you know controls ability to flash high beams, or keep on constant).
    Now they won't come on at all. Highs and parking lights work OK, NO LOWSs. Anyone hear of this or know how to fix (I can probably do it myself, but fooling with steering column-electrical is scaring me). I am reluctant to take it to a mechanic for a $$$$$$ repair bill.
    Any feedback or help would be appreciated.
    Sable going strong at 116K but thinking of a new vehicle soon.
  • Options
    gjohnson5gjohnson5 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Massachusetts and my wife and I are looking to purchase a Sable LS Premium sedan.
    Question is are ABS brakes standard on this model?
    According to Edmunds the LS Premium northeast package lists ABS as standard (no charge). However, reading the sticker we didn't see the ABS system listed. Also, any comments on the fact that the LS premium comes with rear drum brakes??

Thanks

Jerry
  • Options
    pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    Hi Jerry,

Since this conference focuses on maintenance and repair issues, the best place to ask that question would be in our Mercury Sable topic over in the Sedans Conference. You can just click on that link to go there.

Good luck.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • Options
    mitchel2mitchel2 Member Posts: 1
    Sir, the windshield wipers do NOT have to be remove to replace the micron filter, and as for holding down cost, do it yourself. It is a very easy procedure by simply removing the push pins and clips holding the molding in place. The filter can be purchased at nearly any good auto parts store for around $8.00
  • Options
    larrys1larrys1 Member Posts: 15
    Purchased an 89 Sable nearly three years ago, and have been relatively happy with its performance. It is an LS Wagon with a 3.8 and 73k miles. Anyhow, I began having problems when accelerating. It is sluggish, and seems almost like one of my plugs is misfiring. I had a full tune-up only 5k miles ago. Also, I did bring it to my mechanic, who indicates that everything seems fine with the plugs and electrical system. He seems to think it may be "vapor lock" and suggests I bring it to the dealer for repair, since they would me most familiar. I NEVER bring my cars to the dealer, out of fear of costly bills. Has anyone had a similar problem with their fuel system? Also, I forgot to mention that I get a slight smell of gasoline when running the AC, which I am told is attributed to the same problem. Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    pcarroll1pcarroll1 Member Posts: 1
    My 96 Sable develops a dash noise when air temp is above 85 degrees and speed is above 60 mph. It sounds like there's a honking or groaning goose in the dash. Noise shifts from right side to left side depending on how wind is hitting car. Whether a/c is on or off makes no difference. Dealer clueless. I even videotaped, but no help from them. Anyone else experiencing this? Help!
  • Options
    neddoneddo Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium Sedan. Upon picking the car up at the dealer, I was told that there is a problem with my headlights because they are on when the car is running, even though the lamp control is in the off position. I then looked in the owner's manual and noticed a daytime running light (drl)section (if equipped). The lights appear to be operating in conformity with the drl feature, however, none of the Sable brochures or window sticker indicate whether or not my car has this feature. So, does anyone know if a 2000 Sable LS Premium Sedan has the drl feature.
  • Options
    Someone around here might know the answer to your question, but you should be able to find other 2000 Sable owners over in our Sedans conference.

If you use the Topic Search feature on the left side of the page for Sable you can find a link to the most current topic in Sedans.

Good luck, and welcome to Town Hall!

Pat
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, mitchel2. Closer look at the moulding shows it's a two-piecer split in the middle. Passenger's side is easily removed with standard tools on hand. The filter is quite accessible under it. AutoZone has the filters for $18 + tax.
  • Options
    anthonyd1anthonyd1 Member Posts: 1
    I also had the recall performed on my Duratech. I read the posts and intentionally did not bring the car in for the recall until I learned more. However, I just had the car in for an oil change and they did the reprogramming without my consent.

The car definitely performs much more anemically now. At highway speeds, the accelerator has little effect and when the car finally decides to downshift, all passengers are treated to a round of whiplash. Then, the car quickly upshifts again and refuses to accelerate further. I am not being picky - this is really bad.

I am very angry. I purchased this car a few months ago because I liked the way it performed. It is simply not the car I purchased any more. This could legitimately be a bait-and-switch complaint. My plea - has anybody found a cure from Ford for this yet?? If not, this should escalate further.
  • Options
    susanchinisusanchini Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 Sable LX that also makes a humming noise. At first very infrequent, more often when damp or wet. Now it is getting more often, and does not have to be wet. The noise stops when the brakes are tapped on. We have had it to the dealer several times and they have yet to hear the noise.
  • Options
    mfemfe1mfemfe1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Sable LS with 3.0L, 24 Valve engine with 11k miles. Oil pump went wide open, losing entire oil inventory, engine seized and crank broke. Looking at engine replacement. Has anyone else had same problem?
  • Options
    burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    What exactly do you mean? Did the oil pump fail and the engine lose oil pressure? Or did a large leak develop and all the oil drain out?
  • Options
    al1001al1001 Member Posts: 2
    I've been reading through this forum and others and haven't found any 2000 recall-repaired Sable/Taurus owner who's expressed satisfaction with the "fix" (Ford 00B38 - reprogramming of the PCM on certain [Duratec] Sables and Tauruses)...quite the contrary: e.g. "I am very angry."

[Perhaps the PCM itself wasn't designed with adequate gradation in progammability for dealers to attain satisfactory adjustments of the PCM?]

If the current repair/re-programming situation doesn't change -- and customers are left basically with "a car they didn't buy" -- might there be a risk that the now-reduced-performance "repaired" vehicles could become relegated to "lemon" status? Yes, it's early -- and I haven't seen anyone post a response from Ford regarding the unsatisfactoriness of their recall "repair" -- but assuming the current "repair" situation doesn't change, what status could be ascribed to these "fixed" vehicles? What might Ford be reasonably expected to offer to rectify the matter for owners who bought an apparently once-decently-performing vehicle?

From consistency of feedback reports, it sure seems the recall-repaired Duratec 2000 Sables have been converted to a totally different vehicle than the one customers purchased (customers who were likely influenced by reviewers' articles when the car was in its original, "unfixed" state).

How long before the recall notice appears in the NHTSA database? Is there a period of time within which manufacturers are required to report the recall to that organization? The "May Recalls" were listed as of July 13. I haven't seen Ford's April recall notice listed yet.

Are dealers obligated to perform the "repair" on *any* of the Duratec vehicles they get their hands on, even if the owner says "No, don't do it!"? I'm recalling back to the person who took in his car for an oil change and the dealer automatically "repaired" it without his knowledge and consent.

An '87 Mercury Sable owner (...shopping...but not for a 2000 Duratec Sable/Taurus any longer)
  • Options
    20432043 Member Posts: 2
    My 98 Mercury Sable did the same thing. Bright young tech by the name of Heath Link at Aero Ford in Cobleskill, NY, fixed the problem in 10 seconds by performing WDS diagnostic and reprogramming the neutral spin cycle.

Good Luck!

Lois Bailey cdhs@global2000.net
  • Options
    aloiaaloia Member Posts: 1
    My 96 sable also has a clunking noise. It appears to be coming from the right front suspension. The bumpier the road the more it makes the noise. The dealer confirmed the noise but never found it. Very Disappointed
  • Options
    nikki15nikki15 Member Posts: 9
    I have been following and have made a few posts concerning this recall in the station wagons conference. As I stated there I had the recall done and did not notice much if any difference right away, BUT after spending some time on the highway there is definitely a change in power and mileage. I have an appointment for an oil change soon which I will also try to find out some info on this matter.
  • Options
    jft26jft26 Member Posts: 35
    I just read jag2kid's mention ( 16 Mar '00 , #5 ) of paint peeling/oxidation on the 91 SABLE
    ( Dk. Titanium Clearcoat ) and I was wondering what ever happened with the issue. I just noticed the roof and trunk lid of my 89 SABLE showing signs of oxidation. I realize, as someone mentioned in a subsequent note, that the '91 SABLE is up in age but I remember paint lasting alot longer than that .... especially if it has been cared for. My 89 SABLE is Lt. Titanium Clearcoat. The car is in very good condition aside from the paint oxidation. Just curious!
  • Options
    ottersden1ottersden1 Member Posts: 4
    I have owned many cars- but none ever looked as bad as our '89 Taurus paint. Same as jft26- Oxidation of the clear coat. Same happened on my in-laws '89 Lincoln continental. When we broke down and brought the car to Maaco- they said that the Fords/Mercury were keeping them in business. The manager said they painted 11 in the last 3 months alone. The car is great otherwise. With 140K on it- the only major complaint would be the most pathetic power steering pumps in the industry- The Ford Powersteering pumps are below standards and should be banished. Considering we have a '99 Sable w/11K miles and I did add some to it. I had an '89 Maxima and never even thought to add a drop of fluid, nor to my 94, or 96- each racking up 50-100K miles. What's the deal with Fords?
  • Options
    tjf2000tjf2000 Member Posts: 61
    Found the following for what's it worth:

Service Bulletin Number: 8484
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 136
    Date of Bulletin: 0004
    NHTSA Item Number: SB613648
    Make: MERCURY
    Model: SABLE
    Year: 2000
    Component: POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:UNKNOWN TYPE
    Summary: INFORMATION REGARDING SOME VEHICLES EXHIBITING VARIOUS DRIVEABILITY OR TRANSMISSION SHIFT RELATED PROBLEMS. **MR

Service Bulletin Number: 8536
    NHTSA Item Number: SB613668
    Component: POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:AUTOMATIC:CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM)
    Summary: INFORMATION REGARDING PCM PROGRAMMING PER ONP 00B38. **MR

Service Bulletin Number: 8562
    NHTSA Item Number: SB613678
    Summary: INFORMATION ON CONFIGURING AXLE RATIO WITH THE NGS OR WDS. **MR

Service Bulletin Number: 8583
    NHTSA Item Number: SB613689
    Component: ENGINE
    Summary: SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT DTC P1518 AND / OR P1519, RELATED TO INTAKE MANIFOLD RUNNER CONTROL (IMRC). *MR

Service Bulletin Number: 14074
    NHTSA Item Number: SB613697
    Summary: ALL VEHICLES CONTAINING POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULES (PCM) REQUIRE AXLE RATIO AND TIRE REVOLUTION PER MILE INFORMATION DURING A PCM REPLACEMENT OR PCM REPROGRAM. **MR

Service Bulletin Number: 14087
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 137
    NHTSA Item Number: SB613729
    Component: FUEL:CARBURETOR:UNKNOWN TYPE:MANIFOLD:INTAKE
    Summary: SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P1518 AND/OR P1519, RELATED TO INTAKE MANIFOLD RUNNER CONTROL (IMRC). **MR
  • Options
    rbudn83510rbudn83510 Member Posts: 23
    i had the pcm recall done on my 2000 sable and the car performed so terrible i was ready to discuss swapping it with another new car from my dealer. I only had 6000 miles on the car and was rather perplexed. This was my second sable and i was simply in love with this car. All the things i hated about my 1997 were fixed with this car and the engine/transmission combination performed flawlessly....until this recall!!! Anyway, my dealer played very "dumb" when i asked him if any other people were complaining. He said he never heard a complaint and he did 100's of these recalls!!! Why are they so evasive?? Anyway i showed him some posts on this site and he took the car in and reprogrammed the pcm!! the car is MUCH better now but still not up to pre-recall specs. I can at least live with it but im not sure if i should keep pursuing this or just give up. Anybody else have any other experiences???
  • Options
    johnf99johnf99 Member Posts: 1
    There are many good deals on the Sable, and many cars available - all LS Premiums with the Touring package.

Is there any way to tell if the cars in stock have been fixed? Is there a fix?

I expect that they have all had the recall repair, but since I've never driven one, how can I know if the car is running the way it's supposed to?
  • Options
    kennethj357kennethj357 Member Posts: 1
    My '97 Mercury Sable's standard factory alarm
    system has crapped-out. I can't lock-up the car
    without the alarm system activating (horn beeps
    and headlights flash). This happens about 80% of the time.

I read the owner's manual and all it says about
    deactivating the alarm is to unlock the car -- not
    a good idea if you're parked in the mall parking
    lot!
    Anyway, does anybody know (1) how to lock the car
    but turn the alarm off? or (2)(better yet) how to
    trouble-shoot this problem or a likely fix?

HELP !!!
  • Options
    madcroat2madcroat2 Member Posts: 4
    I think you might be a little too worried about theft.
    I never use an alarm, in fact I leave the car wide open. I have enough headaches in my life to have to deal with a car alarm. People are so ridicuolus with their car alarms, I see them all the time putting their car alarm while parked right in front of a starbucks, for example!
    Come on people, wake up! Let em steal it if they want it! Who cares!!
    No offense to you guy!
  • Options
    susanchinisusanchini Member Posts: 2
    I had trouble with my alarm going off on my 1996 Sable too. Our dealer checked it out and the only thing he could come up with was a rubber ring under the hood was somewhat worn, allowing the metal to make a connection, and then having the alarm go off. Even if it was not set to go off. He replaced the ring, and we have not had any trouble since. The invoice said sensors found hood gromet bad, R+R gromet., also something about a plug button. It cost under $20.00, and now I can lock the car again. Hope that helps you.
  • Options
    nkukpr01nkukpr01 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Sable GS sedan that last week dumped between two and three quarts of a pink colored, oily fluid in my driveway. The car has 4000 miles and has not left home town since purchase last November. Towed towed to dealer who has claimed for past week nothing can be found (carefully worded, and not the same as nothing wrong). All fluid levels he claims are OK. No more confidence in this car. Looking for anyone with similar problem or knowledge of same. Assuming for now the problem is with the transmission, and have talked with a trans repair tech who suggested a pushed seal. Dealer says no. Looking for help to gather as much information to make this car safe again. Major failure of this type at speed could be disaster, and I don't even want to go there.
  • Options
    michellebluemichelleblue Member Posts: 1
    I too have had my 2000 Sable's PCM reprogrammed. Just like the others posted, I have also had decreased power, sluggishness, whiplash, and decreased fuel economy. I am doing good to get 20 mpg on the highway. My husbands 3/4 ton truck gets better than that. I have also noticed that I can smell gasoline every time that I start up the car. Has anyone else had this problem? I have taken the car in 4 time, to three different dealerships, to have it looked at. All but one said that it drove like all others of that model. That is b.s. because it does not drive at all like it did when we bought it.
    One dealership did say that it didn't drive right and that it was consuming more fuel than it should. However they did not know what to do to fix it since the reprogramming is all computerized and set by Ford. They even called the Ford hotline to no avail. I am very frustrated to say the least. I am glad to know that other people are having the same problem, because like the others the dealerships all act as if my car is the only one that has the problem.

Any further information would be apprecitiated.
  • Options
    danielj3danielj3 Member Posts: 19
    Today a light appeared on my Merc. Sable s.w.
    instrument panel. Its an exclamationt point lit up. The car became sluggish and the transmission,
    at times, seemed to have trouble engaging gears.

Much later the check engine light came on. At times the car rode well and at other times the
    engine would not respond. The lights all work
    and so did the alarm system. However I noticed that the doors did not lock themselves automatically as usual. Radio, wipers and horn
    worked also. The speedometer did not operate, but fuel gauge and tachometer seemed to function normally.

This car is a 2000 model which I purchased four months ago. I lost confidence in it. I should kick
    myself for buying Ford. Especially after the treatment I received at the dealership and later
    with Ford customer service.
  • Options
    shank6shank6 Member Posts: 64
    Could you folks help me out with a quick question.These power control modules, are they adjusted before the cars are sold, or will Ford / Mercury send out a recall if I buy one. The value on the LS Premiums with all the options is much less expensive than the Camry. I've got a 99 Taurus with the 3.0 Duratec. It's got plenty of pep and I've never received a recall notice at all. I love the look of the car, but am becoming a little wary of buying after reading all the posts.
  • Options
    tjf2000tjf2000 Member Posts: 61
    According to my dealer if the car needs to be re-programmed it must be done before a new car can be delivered. I bought an LS Wagon with the Duratec about 3 weeks ago I have put about 3500 miles on it so far. Before I picked it up I reviewed this PCM re-programming issue with them. Power is very good, no funny shifts, and mileage has been between 23.5 and 27 mpg.
  • Options
    shank6shank6 Member Posts: 64
    Thanks, tjf. I'm gonna take one more test drive and bring the issue to the dealers attention again. the last time the sales rep said he had no knowledge of such a recall notice. I'll keep you posted.
  • Options
    I had my Sable checked by a Ford dealer svce.dept.
    It took them a day to get back to me and the problem was that a rodent (squirrel, mouse, rat,
    etc.) chewed about 12 wires in the engine compartment. This made the car malfunction. The
    repair was not covered by the manufacturers warranty because it was damage done. It cost me
    painful $$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    Today I sprayed a repelant and put two glue traps
    by the tires. Hopefully the animal or animals if
    not repelled will walk on the glue and die.
    A very upsetting ordeal no doubt. I thought it was
    Fords building a mistake but I overreacted. This
    Merc. station wagon is a nice one.
  • Options
    footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Our 93 Sable LS wagon has 50K on it. It has developed a clattering sound in the engine that you can hear above 2000 rpm after the engine is warm. We took it to our dealership, who at first couldn't figure what is was and then later called back to tell us the engine's 'lower end', bearings etc. were shot and the engine needed replacement. This sounds a bit far fetched. It runs good, doesn't burn any oil and doesn't smoke. How can this be true?
  • Options
    Did you check afterwards the levels of all your fluids? That would tell you what leaked. Or at least the dealer should have told you what leaked. It must have been a leak. rr
  • Options
    I have a 93 Sable I bought used at an auction.
    The engine is strong and generally runs ok except for 2 problems.
    After it's warm and running, there is a fuel odor that comes into the cabin from the vents, when the fan or a/c is on.
    Also the car jerks quite often before the trans goes in to the next gear. Usually around 30 mph,, 43 mph, and 53mph roughly.
    Anybody know what's wrong and how to fix?
  • Options
    Hey I have a 93 Sable. I get the same fuel odor when running the a/c or the fan. Did you ever find out what is the problem and how to fix?
  • Options
    bbbonebbbone Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 Sable, and at 75K developed the same rattle. Engine ran great, kept it like that for 6 months. It got worse, and I replaced the engine. Got one rebuilt by a company called Jasper, and installed by the dealer. Cost over 3 grand, but has 3 year 75K warranty. One year later, all is well.

Question for you though. Did you have a major coolant leak, about six months before this? I did, and I think I had coolant in the engine, that will kill the main bearing.
  • Options
    mr_almr_al Member Posts: 9
    Hi Everyone, been awhile since I been here, but enjoy listening to everyone's feedback. My wife is looking at wanting a 99 Sable LS, After owning a 96 Sable that I dumped the mile past 36K, I was leary of getting another one, but I do admit, I did overall enjoy the handling and performance of them. (when they weren't in the shop) Noting the responses on the 99's and 2000 sables, are they worth it? I am going to buy used from a Rental car place (Hertz) and am hearing nightmares about how people drive rentals. Anyone got any suggestions? Should I go new? Are the 99 and 2000 Sables full of headaches? Is buying from a Rental Car company a safe investment? Would like some feedback. Thanks for the help. Al mr_al@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Welcome back!

Probably the best place for you to find this kind of information is over in our Sedans conference. Try this topic:

Mercury Sable (Topic #3401) in Sedans.

Good luck.

Pat
  • Options
    scribesscribes Member Posts: 1
    Just got back from Merc dealer and leased a 2000 Sable LS Premium. I had absolutely no idea before today that I would get this car. The transmission went on my 1986 Olds on the way to look at a Le Sabre and I was stuck 7 miles away from the dealership! I started to hoof it and came to a Linc/Merc dealer. I told the salesman I wanted a Buick Le Sabre because of the Bench seats.He said he had a Sable with a Bench and I was surprised,and after he gave me a price of $349.00 x 36 mos. w/leather,moonroof,6 CD player, and all the other toys, I became interested. What sealed the deal was only $700.00 out of pocket! I had him throw in a pinstripe (a new car without a stripe just doesn't "get it").We wrote the deal and I pick it up Monday.
    Oh yeah, my '86 Olds is still parked in the same place, and I will call 1-800-2-donate and they can have it.(the lot kid gave me a ride home).
    After reading here about the PCM problems, I will call first thing Mon. morning and find out what procedures should be taken.
    I thank the posters here for keeping a tenacious attitude and staying on top of any problems. Just look at the Firestone/Ford mess right now. Stay vigilant.
  • Options
    I ask all the Mercury Sable owners to open your hoods and look at the wires in the engine compartment. Do you notice that these wires are not thoroughly covered by harnesses or tapes?
    Please refer to my earlier post Mercury Sable breakdown above.

Re: a rodent chewing through wires, according to a Ford service dept that fixed my car. They claimed that this damage is not covered by warranty so it cost me quite a bit of money.

These unexposed cables seem to me to be a flaw in design and not just damage. In other words, a problem waiting to happen.

Daniel in NY
  • Options
    tasyotasyo Member Posts: 2
    I have some small debris and dust inside the lens assembly of the speedometer ( gauges ), bought a 97 Taurus/Sable Haynes manual hoping that I can clean and remove it myself. Found out that the manual is a piece of crap.

How do I remove the lens ? Do I have to remove the Radio ? I tried removing the 2 screws above the dashboard lens and the panel is still hard to remove, I was suspecting the there is a screw inside the Radio Assembly to remove the panel below (right) it and how do I remove the panel on the Headlight switch area (left)?
  • Options
    rgal926rgal926 Member Posts: 2
    I have notice that my 1999 Sable has begun to work the wipers by itself. The wipers are turned off. There is no one thing that I can say yes it happens when....

It can go days without happening or it can happen every time I drive. It doesn't matter if I am using the turn signal, just cleaned the windshield or haven't touched the wipers at all. Sometimes it happens when sitting still or when I am driving.

If you have had this problem please let me know. I have the car almost a year and this just started about 3 weeks ago.
  • Options
    iugradiugrad Member Posts: 1
    I'm here to tell you that the 2000 Sable IS very luxurious and a smooooooth ride; however, I had this aggravating clunking noise in my 1995 Ford Contour and now in my beautiful 2000 Sable!! The Ford was checking many too many times to count and they never found the cause, though they did hear the noise. It seems more prevalent when someone is riding in the back seat. I've taken to just turning up the amazing Mach premium sound system...
  • Options
    In early June, I had an '00 Taurus SE rental for a week and 1800 miles through PA, OH and MI. It, too, had the rear clunking with 0-150# in the rear seat. Except for that and the numerous scratches vandals keyed along its sides, it was a beautiful car. Don't just accept the problem; take it back and complain till it's fixed right. Go to as many dealers as necessary to find the one that will listen to you and fix it. Read some of the prior posts. They make it clear these clunks CAN be fixed if you are persistent and adamant. Good luck!
  • Options
    speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    If you have comprehensive insurance, I think you can get it covered under an "Act of God". I had a '91 Topaz that squirrels built a nest in while I was on vacation. I started it up when I got back and the engine heat ignited the nest, setting part of the engine on fire. All the damage, including the smoke damage, as covered under an "act of god". Just a thought to try and get a few of your $$$ back!

Regards,

Pete
  • Options
    Thank you for the advise. I will certainly look
    into it. Ill report back.

As a matter of fact Ive seen a squirrel where I park climbing on tires and getting into engine
    compartments of other cars.

Ive been using a repellent which I spray on tires.
    I will call my insurance co. asap though.

Thanks again
  • Options
    footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    We are having the engine replaced too. Fortunately we have an extended, extended warranty which we bought last year from AAA when the original 6 year extended warranty expired. Cost around $2K, so looks to be a good deal as this engine will run around $3500.
    No engine leaks, but the bearings are toast.

Definately our last Ford vehicle. We are training our kids, friends and relatives too. If Toyota can build 150K cars in the USA, there's only one reason that Ford doesn't. They don't want to.
  • Options
    28062806 Member Posts: 1
    Have a new 2000 Sable with the duratec engine and would like to know what some of you are getting in the way of fuel mileage? I've been averaging 21 in Texas with the air conditioning on.
This discussion has been closed.