Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

My RX350 smells bad after A/C is turned off!

env_engrenv_engr Member Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in Lexus
My RX has about 2000 miles on it now. I have been noticing that every time I switch from A/C to regular fan mode, some weird smell (not pleasent) comes from the fan and it keeps blowing for a long time. I want to check and see if this is normal? I had the same issue with my old 1998 Toyota Avalon but I thought new cars will not have that problem. Anyway...if you guys have the same problem and have a remedy, please help me.

Thanks,
SVK

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    There are two possible explanations.

Some manufacturers have begun coating the A/C cooling evaporator with an anti-microbial, fungicidal, chemical in order to alleviate the formation of the microbe colonies that lead to the mould and mildew odor, dirty gym socks odor, you sometimes get from A/C systems.

The second possibility is the mold and mildew odor itself, but at only 1000 miles that seems improbable.

As long as the A/C is operating the approximately 10,000 square inches of A/C evaporator cooling vane surface area will be coated with a thin film of condensate, water. Once you disable the A/C that thin coating will begin to evaporate off of those surfaces and flow into the cabin carrying with it whatever odors might arise from those same surfaces.

Go to airsept.com and read up on their EED, Electronic Evaporator Dryer.

In the meantime assuming it is mould and mildew odor you can combat it, and some instances of sudden windshield fogging early on a coolish morning drive, by leaving the windows down each and every night in the garage.
This discussion has been closed.