Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Nissan Altima Underbody Coating

ken75ken75 Posts: 52
edited March 2014 in Nissan
I have just purchased a 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL and am having the dealer apply an underbody coating. Is this a worthwhile endeavor or am I throwing $250.00 away? We will keep the car in excess of six or seven years and I figured it would be a good idea. Does it do the job and what kind of product might be used?

Are others out there happy with this automobile? All of the previous research I had done pointed to happy people who had bought the Altimas, however I did not consult a forum such as this one. Mistake? Thanks for your input.

Comments

• jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    the value of the underbody coating probably depends where you live. If live somewhere that gets a lot of snow, exposing the car to lots of salt, then It's deffinitly worth it. same if you live near the ocean.

as for happy owners, yea, I think the vast majority of owners are very happy with their altima's. There are some people who complain about very minor things, and some who are unfortunate and get a defective one though. It happens with every model/manufacturer. But considering how well the new redesigned altima is selling a year after its introduction, I can only assume people are really liking it. Last I saw, sales were up 25-30%.
  • ken75ken75 Posts: 52
    Thank you for your reply. I live in Minnesota where liberal amounts of salt are used and cars seem to disappear in a hurry. Will the undercoating make the car last longer? I guess only time will tell if this was a good decision.

I must say that this is a very nice vehicle and and I hope the fuel economy advertised is accurate. At any rate it will beat the MPG on the Ford F-150 I traded.
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    Will the undercoating make the car last longer? I guess only time will tell if this was a good decision

Yea, it will help a lot. Under normal conditions, the underbody won't rust excessivly. but as you said, you live in minnesota, and will be subjecting your car to very corrosive road salt 4 or 5 months of the year. IMO, you made a good investment.
    Thank you! I'll let you know what happens in six or seven years.
    If people up here would learn how to drive, we would'nt need all that salt.
    In a continuation of this undercoating thing, I had the process done today but could get no one to explain exactly what was to be done. I have had Ziebart do this in the past (long ago) and I wonder if the process is the same. Does somebody have the process readily at hand for an explanation? Thanks
This discussion has been closed.