Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Reliability

13»

Comments

• Options
    2009forestxal2009forestxal Member Posts: 5
    aatherton, thanks for the info. The date ranges for my car and engine need to be compared. I will post updates regarding Subaru NA and the dealerships response to this data.
  • Options
    Hi ateixeira, This is OEM without modifications, without very exciting driving. The engine was cold when the noise started. But now that I am thinking about it, the engine was always noisy at start up, but I figured it was the AC clutch, because it sounded like an AC clutch. Anyway, no mods or chips.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    Ouch. 10,000 miles on OEM oil sounds like a death sentence to me. However, I find it shocking that the needed services were never mentioned by the servicing dealer. I get emails all the time from my local dealer saying one service or another is due. I find them a little annoying since I do most of my own maintenance, but I do think it is, in general, a valuable reminder.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    "aatherton, thanks for the info. The date ranges for my car and engine need to be compared. I will post updates regarding Subaru NA and the dealerships response to this data."

Well, my data was for failure due to a defect in the XT con rod bearings.

You said your XT's main bearings failed, and have now added that your XT's oil was not changed for 10,000 miles. It sounds like it was not even checked. The oil became sludgey, the filter filled with crud, and the oil burned off until the level dropped to the bottom of the sump. All of that probably happened -- a lack of lubrication which would wear and damage the main bearings.

The required oil change interval for an XT is 3,750 miles. That is why Subaru is saying the warranty does not cover your engine.

If a car is brought in to fix a rattle, it will not get its oil changed unless that is asked for. There is no connection between the timing of a rattle visit, and the schedule of an oil change.

Nor is it the dealer's responsibility to keep track of when the last oil change was done and when the next one is due. The dealer may attempt automated notifications that an oil change appears to be coming due, but the service writer dealing with a rattle complaint is not likely to think "oil change".
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Call 800-SUBARU3.

I read that entire thread, and a couple of people were helped out even though they skipped some oil changes.

Be nice, you get more bees with honey. I used to work at a Help Desk and trust me, kill them with kindness.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks to all for sharing thoughts and analysis...including consideration of my somewhat imprecise data. I know there is good intent and wisdom in the discussion. It helps me understand and to make better decisions. Regards
  • Options
    poughkeepsiepoughkeepsie Member Posts: 1
    58,000 miles and apparently we have a damaged rod requiring engine replacement. The power train warranty expired in April.

We complained of a serious vibration a year ago which could not be diagnosed. Could that have been connected to this problem?

Anyone have similar problems?">
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Call 800-SUBARU3 and open up a case number. Be nice, though, you get more bees with honey.

You're still below 60k miles, remind them about that.
This discussion has been closed.