Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Turn Radius

pcfranzpcfranz Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Toyota
I have a 1997 Tacoma extra cab. I love the truck, but hate the turn radius. It is huge. I am considering buying a newer Tacoma. Has anyone else had this problem, and what year should I get in order to avoid this problem?

Comments

• bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    I have a 1992. It has a huge turning radius almost like a full size truck. I checked out an 08 Taco, and it had a huge turning radius too. One would think Toyota would want to improve something that bad in 15 years, but I guess not.

The shorter bed/shorter wheelbase Tacos have a shorter turning radius. I checked out a PreRunner regular cab, and it was decent.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Oh, c'mon people. The longer the wheelbase, the larger the turn radius. It's not a "problem", it's physics and geometry.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    It's geometry that can be corrected. I rank the ridiculous turn radius right up there with omitting cruise control.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    It's not the wheelbase, it's the front suspension and steering geometry. As an example, Ford offers the F450 front axle on the F350 as an option... in doing so, the turning radius on an otherwise identical truck is reduced several feet because the F450 front end allows for a greater tire cut. Toyota could very easily alter the front suspension to do the same and reduce the turning radius of the Tacoma.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    We have a Ford F-650 at work and it turns in half the distance my GMC Safari does. I have half the size and double the diameter. I feel so slighted ;)
This discussion has been closed.