Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota 4Runner Tires

gregwsgregws Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Toyota
I have an 08 Toyota 4Runner Sport with 17" tires (265/65/17). I want to put winter rims and tires on the vehicle but my local Toyota dealership is telling me that 17" steel rims are not available. 16" steel rims are available, however. Is it ok for me to go down a tire size from 17" to 16" on the Sport edition?

Comments

• Options
    bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    First off I wouldn't bother trying to get rims from the dealer....they'll charge you way too much!
    Try www.tirerack.com and see if they have wheels for your 4R. If your '08 isn't shown, try a 2007 model year....same thing.

Second I wouldn't go smaller. For one, your speedo and ABS system is calibrated for 17" tires. Your speedo and ABS system will be effected....
    Also you have a TPMS (tire pressure monitor system) that if you buy wheels without the sensors in the valve stems, your TPMS light will illuminate.
    If you do find rims with the sensors, they might need to be calibrated for your vehicle.
    I'd stick with 17" wheels.
  • Options
    mike805mike805 Member Posts: 33
    The 16" wheels will have a fractionally larger diameter if you get 265/70/16 tires. When I bought my 2006 I insisted they replace the 17" wheels with 16" for a better ride and better off road capability. Go to http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html to see the difference in size. I found that the Toyota 16" 4 Runner wheel won't fit a 4WD so they had to put Tacoma wheels on mine.
  • Options
    nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    "Second I wouldn't go smaller. For one, your speedo and ABS system is calibrated for 17" tires. Your speedo and ABS system will be effected.... "

Sorry, but you are completely wrong on this. The important thing is NOT the diameter of the wheels but the diameter of the TIRES! First, if the diameter of the tires is the same as OEM, then there will be zero affect on the speedo. Second, the ABS system doesn't care a bit about the size of your tires, as long as all of them are the same -- the ABS system detects differences in speed between tires.

I have 16" rims for the snow tires on my 2003 4Runner. It works just fine. You will need to check to make sure that the 16" rims fit over your brakes. I seem to recall that later 4Runners have slightly larger brakes, so while 16" rims fit on my truck they may not on yours.
  • Options
    bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    Sorry, but you are completely wrong on this......

OK
This discussion has been closed.