Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Should I buy a used Cadillac DeVille?

edman2edman2 Member Posts: 10
edited June 2014 in Cadillac
I have been given the opportunity to buy a 2002 Cadillac DeVille that looks like it just came out of the showroom. It is in impeccable condition with 36.000 miles, never driven in snow or salt. The seller deals in very expensive original old cars.
I have a 2002 Chrysler 300M and if I pay him the $12,000 asking price..it would almost be like making an even trade. My Chrysler is also in very good condition, with 65,000 miles and has some features ( such as steering wheel controls for radio, CD, etc) but obviously the Caddy has things that my Chrysler would never have. I'm not sure which model it is...my only concern would be the expense if something goes wrong. If you were me, would you make this purchase?

Comments

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    You might want to adjust the value of your 300m down to $8-8500 then look at the deal again. You might also consider how well maintained each vehicle is re: fluid changes that can be documented. The Caddy is an unknown quantity while you know your car so that needs to be considered. Parts for Caddy's are higher but maybe nothing will go wrong. Have you driven the Cadillac?
  • edman2edman2 Member Posts: 10
    No..and I've had a change of heart...thanks for your reply....My Chrysler, so I've been told by several people is worth more than an equal car because of demand for a Chrysler 300M body style, in excellent condition before they changed to the mafia 300M.......which, in my opinion, by comparison, has no style at all......
  • carcrazy35carcrazy35 Member Posts: 9
    i own a 2003 cadillac deville, i bought it in 2006 with 31000 miles, it has 98000 now , it was more comfertible than the chrysler 300, dont know if it was the m or not . i get 28 mpg hwy , 21 city. it has the northstar v8 . i havent had any poblems as of yet. jerry
    : i own a 2003 cadillac deville, i bought it in 2006 with 31000 miles, it has 98000 now , it was more comfertible than the chrysler 300, dont know if it was the m or not . i get 28 mpg hwy , 21 city. it has the northstar v8 . i havent had any poblems as of yet. jerry
    Jerry... after thinking it over...my concerns would be maintenance costs, parts, etc.
    So..as beautiful and tempting as this Deville looked, I decided against buying it.
    thanks for your input.....

Edman222
    Incidentally....my 2002 300M rides like a dream and altho I have had to replace the Air Conditioning Compressor and front sway bars along with the shifter cable..the car has given me 64,000 miles of care-free driving. It gets about 21 mpg around town and I have gotten as much as 28 mpg highway.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    How did you know the sway bars needed replacing?
    common problem with that series of 300Ms....CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK...over every little bump in the road..I have a friend who has almost 20 years as a mechanic for a Chrysler dealer and he told me that.......about $300-350 to replace.
  • dovie1dovie1 Member Posts: 1
    I am buyying a 2002 Cadillac DeVille DTS next week. Its a one owner car and it has 67,000 miles on it.
    I am not at all worried, because this will be my 4th time buying a used Cadillac and they have always treated me well

The car I am now driving is a 1989 Cadillac DeVille 4 door and has only 86,000 orig. miles on it. I have owned it for 14 years and the only big expense I have had with it is 2 years ago my A/C went out.

I would own nothing but a Cadillac...
    I think you should have take the deal edman, even if you kept the car you have presently.
    i own a 2006 cadillac dts. i liked my 2003 deville better. i cant get comforble in the dts, i was telling my wife earlier today that we should sell it and get a different cadillac, it has about 42000 miles on it garage kept, in very good cond.i:ll ask 17000.00 for it. i have a clear title to it. i have hip and back problems so i have to get comforble to travel. so if you dont buy the 02, dts you may want to check mine out.
  • tony92tony92 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. carcrazy35. I would like more information on your 2006 Caddillac DTS such as color and where you are located. Thank You.
  • natashagates92natashagates92 Member Posts: 1
    I am itself buying a second hand Cadillac. It was in a good condition.
This discussion has been closed.