Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier Noises

jkoelkerjkoelker Member Posts: 1
I have a 2000 Frontier V-6 4WD automatic. The last few times I've used 4WD (in 4H setting), I get a sporadic knocking noise under the floorboard - feels like it's directly under the accelerator pedal. You can hear it AND feel it - it goes on randomly for a few miles, then seems to settle down and go away. I first noticed it when coming out of 4WD and back to 2WD a week or so ago. As I said, after a few miles, it quieted down. Today, in a snowstorm, I put it into 4WD and got the same thing. Once again, it quieted down after a few miles. The noise sounds like metal hitting metal - it isn't constant - sort of random and sporadic.

Anybody have a clue what that's all about?

Thanks.

Jon

Comments

• ljolleyljolley Member Posts: 3
    07 nissan frontier makes a whining noise similar to the sound of a drill, when truck is driving, then stops a few minutes after it is put in park?
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    edited July 2010
    If the whining noise is coming from the engine and varies with RPMs, the noise might be your secondary timing chain tensioners. See TSBs NTB07-042a and NTB09-128. If you're still within your powertrain warranty, you're covered.
  • sgtrock62sgtrock62 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2010 Nissan Frontier. The blower fan unit for the Ac/heating system makes a low whining noise when the fan is running in a low speed. Has anyone else noticed this in their truck.
  • eli03eli03 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 Frontier s/c and am hearing a rattling sound when I hit the accelerator. It is more apparent when the engine is cold and/or UNDER acceleration in the 2000-2500 rpm range. What could be causing this?
  • crazyivan06crazyivan06 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased an '06 Frontier XE. Occasionally it will make a loud ticking noise shortly after starting the motor. The noise lasts for about 10 seconds then stops. It doesn't occur every time but is very annoying when it does. Dealer says it has to do with a "self-test" of the Airbag and is normal. Unacceptable. Any Ideas??
  • s0mdumb9uys0mdumb9uy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Frontier NISMO 4x4. The mechanic at the dealership said that its the timing chain that causes the clicking noise. Something about the chain rubbing with the plastic guides and overtime with wear and tear eventually will start rubbing metal to metal with the guides. Of course i'm not a mechanic but it sounds legit.