Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• tennlexustennlexus Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone come across an issue with the check engine light coming on and the shop stating it's the camshaft sensor? If so, any idea what this would cost to fix? Is there any other possible problems it can cause?
  • mmcconnell2mmcconnell2 Member Posts: 1
    roddmod11:
    You mentioned Type IV transmission fluid from the Lexus dealer. I have a SC400 and was told only to use type T (I think it was type T-II, but can't recall-- could have said IV). Is this what you are referring to, or are there other options?

I had a total flush/replacement 2-3 years ago, and experienced occasional "shuddering" at low speeds afterwards. I read where this can be caused by using the wrong fluid, and sure enough, found that the shop used Dexron or whatever they commonly used. The wrong fluid was in the car for at least a year before I had it serviced (but not totally replaced) with type T. The shuddering problem went away, so I didn't do anything more. Could this damage the transmission by keeping the mix of Dexron?

BTW, I found the exact same fluid at a Toyota dealer for almost half the price of the Lexus dealer.
  • freddyvonfreddyvon Member Posts: 5
    Hello ~ (it is a 1994 LS)
    I Have A burned Out ETC Power button bulb (no big deal just the Little light) , you cant see it at night, and I suppose when I am changing that bulb I will replace the gear shift Ones too ( P,R,N,D etc...) the green Ones , However, I dont know How to get to the bulbs How do I lift the gear shifter plastic plate cover to get to the bulbs if anyone knows please let me know.
    Happy Lexus Owner,
    Paul
  • pj2323pj2323 Member Posts: 43
    why does lexus not recommend replacing fuel and transmission filters?
  • roddmod11roddmod11 Member Posts: 55
    Hi to all, the reason I found out that Lexus does not recommend a replacement of the fuel filter, is that it is to hard to get off, you end up breaking the fuel line because the threads were damaged when the factory put them on and rust has built up and they wont come off, once you twist a line the complete line has to be replaced.This means if you fill up with a bad tank of gas it could cost you more than a filter replacement. Also as miles build up the filter gets dirty and this causes your pump current to go up because it has to push harder, good practice on most cars would be to change the filter at least every 15K to 30K not Lexus, they will tell you that the filter last the life of the car, make sense to you? I have cut them open and they are built the same as any filter with a paper element. The Trans filter they will say it is a screen and does not need to be changed, I have had this filter out and even with 200K miles on LS400s it has not looked clogged, so if the car is not driven hard they may have a point on this filter, by the way the way around the fuel filter on my car was to cut the line with a tubing cutter add high pressure fuel hose and install a K&N filter, the shops cannot do this it would be a liability nightmare.
    Those little bulbs, the ones for the shifter that are in the instrument cluster are not hard to change once you get the cluster out, you have to remove some screws,force the front cover off, and the wiring harness plugs have to be pulled, if your not comfortable doing this I would let someone who is do it. I have also found that the bulb connection between the socket and the circuit board, which is just the bulb wires pressed onto the board by the bulb holder, can also have a high resistance connection, so what I do is coat the board traces with a product called DEOXIT by CRAIG CORP, this really does a good job, I do this with all the bulbs and you know about half of the ones that were out work OK after this, also you might want to take your old bulbs into your Toyota parts dealer, you can save anywhere from 3 to 6 bucks a bulb. Also even if the socket is not the same on a bulb you can take the bulb out and change sockets, just bend the wires straight with a small pick and pull.
    Not a common problem unless a person removed the engine covers and forgot to stick the cam sensor wire back in the clip and it hung and the belt wore though the connecting wire.
    Sell it Quick, Noo no just kidding , Lexus LS400 makes with out question, and I challage anyone to debate on this the BEST drive train in the world, while you might have created a little more clutch material in your filter,(might want to have it changed)depends on how hard you were on it when it was shuttering,Dexron 5 is closer to the TYPE IV than Dexron III or II, dont worry about it, your have many 100K miles left.
  • blkmgkblkmgk Member Posts: 54
    What is the effect when used?
    Does anyone feel a difference when in use?
    IF ONE OF THE BACK WHEELS STARTS SPINNING THE BRAKE FOR THAT WHEEL IS APPLIED, AND THE ENGINE IS THROTTLED DOWN UNTIL THE WHEEL SLOWS DOWN,YOUR ECT LIGHT ON THE DASH SHOULD LIGHT USUALLY FLICKERS, WHEN THE SYSTEM KICKS IN, IF YOU REALLY WHAT TO CHECK IT OUT PUT ONE BACK WHEEL OFF THE ROAD ON GRAVEL AND HIT THE GAS, THE LS400 HAS ONE OF THE BEST TRACTION CONTROLS IN ANY CAR.
  • vcso2279vcso2279 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, can anyone advise why my 94 ls400 makes a loud engine noise between 2000-3000 rpm. Under idling, the engine is very quite. Only under load the engine is loud, it almost sounds like pining. Please advise. First time writing and love this site and all the previous comments. thanks in advance.
  • rd8ard8a Member Posts: 11
    roddmod, are you sure? I had fuel filter replaced by dealer and nothing that you mention happened...
    Many I should explain how I received the info on the filters, I had first heard about problems getting the filters off the LS 400 and even some other Toyota products from the IATN site, this is a site that is for Professional auto servicing techninans, they were complaining that they where having major problems getting the filters off some could but most came to the conclussion that it was not worth the effort as Toyota does not recommend the filter changes as part of there maintenance, the bad thread info came from this site,some were using some wild methods to try to get the filters off, I made a trip to my Lexus dealer to try and get info on this as I wanted my filter changed I wanted to do it myself but after reading the problem the pro techs were having I wanted to know what the Lexus service group thought, I set up a appointment to have a valve adjustment done and I asked to have the Fuel filter changed, and the Trans filter, I was told that they do not change the fuel filter it is lifetime and the same for the Trans filter, (he said it was a screen and never has to be replaced), he would not budge on this position, then I talked one of the technicians and I ask about the fuel filter and he said no leave it alone you will twist the lines trying to get it off, this info may not be true for the newer Lexus I dont know if things have changed I am just giving you what I found out.
    my lexus dealer was going to replace my fuel filter with the 125,000 service. they called me and said it would not break loose, and if it twisted the lines, it would cost apprx. 300.00. i left the old one on. this was a 1992 ls.
  • q45manq45man Member Posts: 416
    By not changing the fuel filter until 125k or 65,000 miles after the warranty expired don't you think you are responsible for some of the problem.
    We recommend that they be changed every 30k or 2 years.
    Hope this is the only thing you've been negligent on watch out for power steering pump leaking because the PS fluid doesn't get changed, then it takes out the alternator.
  • freddyvonfreddyvon Member Posts: 5
    Hello ~
    Well I have had to change the Power Steering Pump AND my Rack and Pinion all within the same year on my 1994 with LESS then a 100,000 miles on it, so I need to know WHEN to change out my power steering fluid because just these two jobs cost me $2,000. Ok well I hope someone can help.
  • lexor2lexor2 Member Posts: 11
    Would appreciate input from anyone who has experience with erratic instrument cluster and needles. When my 1994 LS is cold the cluster remains dark. After a half hour or so of driving, the needles flicker and finally the whole shebang lights up. The console lights go through the same thing. Once operational, they all will stay on all day. The warm up period seems to be taking longer as time passes. The dealer informs me that this is a circuit board problem and will cost about $900.00 for parts and $200.00 for labor. I do not have a clue as to where this damn circuit board is located on the car. If I knew where to look, I'd start a search for a salvage or re manufactured one. This seems to be a problem with 1994 LS 400s.
    with fancy gadgets who wish to DIY need the two volume service tech repair test manuals [cost around $300] model and year specific. Everything you need will be found inside these 2,000 pages.
    How will you know the junk yard parts [circuit board] are any better?
    The board runs behind and interconnects all the gauges.

Did you ever run the battery down and get a jump start? This is a no no on a lux car.
    depends on how long you want a trouble free car.
    At the minimum 2 years or 30k for: diff, tranny, PS, traction, brakes, coolant and of course every 90 days for oil.
    Remember AC Freon 134a is a fluid [under pressure] and contains oil to lube the compressor, which turns acidic and eats through components. There is a dryer module which should be changed every 4 years or 60k to maximize system life.
    Q45man, really appreciate reading your posts. About the PS fluid, is it okay to just siphon the fluid and replace, or is it necessary to bleed the system?
    the fault is with the dealer. the car has been in for every service. a lot of us put our trust in mechanics, that can not be trusted.
    how are you suppose to start the vehicle with a dead battery, if you can not jump start it? charge the battery or replace it.
    Dear Q45 I have seen you post info about changing the freon and the dryer, I have done a fair amount of work on systems and study on air conditioning systems and never heard of changing the freon or dryer as a maintenance item, it is true that 134a is more acidic than R12 but that is the nature of the beast, the dryer is in the system to remove moisture, and if the system has not been open to air there is no reason to change it, the breakdown of compressors can clog the orifice and dryer but as a maintenance item?
    If you go to Clublexus.com you will see posts I have made on the I.P. board problems, I am looking for someone to send me a old defective board so we can get to the bottom on how to fix these things, the SC group has a fix for their P.C. board dash problem the LS people do not as of yet, if you want to change it, you have to pull the I.P. out and remove screws and connectors, scary to most.

I.P. = Instrument panel
    The biggest problem with jump starting cars is the spikes that can be introduced buy the act of hooking up the connections, acring and sparking should be kept to a minimun, when hooking up the connections, also the condition of your battery can create a load problem when hooked up, IMO your battery should be changed every four years this will take care of the worry of the dead battery, make sure your ignition switch is in the off position when you replace the battery or jump start, make sure that when the battery is changed that the connectors and posts are cleaned so that the fresh lead is exposed,the LS turns off the headlights and interior power so I don't really think your battery should be going dead unless something else is going on. If you look in your owners manual it will give you guidelines about jumping the battery.
    if you jump start another car with your ls, can it burn the circuit board?
  • lexor2lexor2 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the quick comeback Rod. I'll check out your posts at clublexus. If and when I let the dlr fix this problem, I'll damn sure keep the old part so I can scope out where it failed. I hate irratic failures!
    The act of vacuuming down the ac system and measuring the weight of the freon is an importantant diagnostic tool to find and assess small leaks.
    The oil is what changes and becomes acidic [less so on R134a]. The major problem is the longterm permeabilty of the rubber hoses and the gaskets [o rings] coupling the compressor.

Yes the LS is considered maintenance free until it fails! And as most of you know a complete rebuild can run $2500 plus.
    My point was simple inexpensive things to do to prolong its life and exchanging the oil and a new dryer at the midpoint seeems to add a year or two [getting system beyond 150-200k].
    At our facility we have 4 customers with LS beyond 300,000 miles, my personal Q has 226,000 miles and still on the original components [R12] except for replacing the dryers twice.
    You have customers with LS beyond 300,000, wow.
  • djr7399djr7399 Member Posts: 24
    Hello Lexus lovers,

I have a 1995 LS400, had a fog light just burn out, tried to replace the light myself and was wondering how the heck do you get to the bulb, has anyone tried to change their fog light bulbs, seems the front light and fog light are integrated together, any suggestions, of course I know I can take to the dealer but thought I could do this one myself. fog light is located in front of the battery on the driver's side.

thanks

dj
    Check your owners manual it is in there, very simple job.If for some reason it is not in there I will post.
    Rod, not in the owner's manuel, checked that 1st, let me know the suggestion you come up with.

dj
    Anybody know the answer to question in post #471?
    The PS system has two filter screen to trap wear material, which get clogged from not changing the fluid!
    You can suck out a little fluid from the filler port, multiple times but cleaning the screens requires disassembly and back flushing.
    Anything is better than nothing.
    You have to remove the headlight and you have to remove the clearance light, there is one screw for the clearance light, when the screw is out pull the clearance light out( it is pinned in rubber mounts)then you can get at the rest of the screws for the headlight assy, remove the headlight with the fog light then remove the three screws and separate the fog light from the headlight, you might have to remove the air cleaner cover to get at some screws, look around and things will make sense to you, you will have pull hard on the clearance to get it out.
    Good Luck.
  • poliwhirlguypoliwhirlguy Member Posts: 21
    Thank you so much. I tried to pull the side assembly out the first time but I didn't want to break it by pulling too hard. So I gave it another go and voila now the bulbs are replaced. It is nice to know that other lexus owners are inclined to share their knowledge with others. I was getting really upset that the one light was burnt out and was ready for a trip to the shop just to get it fixed. People call me a perfectionist but when it comes to my LS400, how can I say I own a lexus if there is a burnt out headlight??? even if it is only the side one? :) Thanks again.
    Hello Rod,

Didn't get a chance to try to replace the bulb yet, But I see a fellow lexus owners(poliwhirlguy) had the same problem, wow poli, guess we probably had the same thoughts on the LS, I see it works, I will try this weekend to replace and respone like you have.
    rod thanks for the reply u also poliwhirlguy.

dj
  • pfioriopfiorio Member Posts: 2
    As a new member I have just finished reading every single post and must say that I owe a huge debt of gratitude to all who have posted solutions and given repair advice. Just finding a reasonably priced source for my leaking AC display is a godsend. However, at this very moment I have a slight headache; anyone have a source for hood support struts at a reasonable price? I've tried my local discount places and they don't seem to carry anything for my 92 LS400. Thanks!
    I finally found the time to change the atf fluid on my '96 LS400.(100,000miles) I went to a toyota dealer and purchased a gallon of ATF fluid Type T-IV. $27.00. (only comes in gallon).
    I drained my old oil and measured it. about 3 liters. So I poured in some new stuff and went for a test drive(20 miles). I must say that I did notice more pick up. But My real concern is that after I finished the drive and checked the atf fluid dipstick, I noticed that it did not show as much oil as before the change. What would be the difference? Does it need more oil? How can I tell?THanks!!
    Well Rod,

you were right, changed the fog light on the LS400. thanks for your input it was very simple. I wonder what the dealer would have charged for that ten minute job. thanks again for the directions on fixing the fog lights, I love this site.

dj
    I see I should jump on this site more often, if what you have taken out and measured and replaced with the same amount unless it was low to start with, you should be ok, the dipstick tells all, but read the owners manual, the fluid expands when hot, this will change your dipstick reading. As there is a hot and cold range on the stick.
    For all the suspension gurus out there...i was wondering if it's possible to convert the air suspension on my 95 LS400 to the standard one. currently, the ride is horrible and something is definitely wrong with the system as i approach 85k. the car has that shudder from the back right and the car does not drive straight even after 3 alignments in the past 3 months. the only thing i can think of is that the suspension is going but i do not want to have to pay all that $$$ every 100k just to have the car ride nice. let me know.
    A nice floaty cushy ride is what LS is known for!
    You can purchase the springs and seats plus new standard shocks, boots, bump stops and change everything over and disable the air compressor. Check with junkyards to find the springs [only use 95 model] don't go redesigning something.
    q45...the main reason is the high mileage i put on my LS400. i drive about 30000 per year just for work purposes so that doesn't include the other recreational driving i do for regular shopping. so i average about 30-35k miles per year. the air suspension is so expensive to replace (my dealer quoted me a price topping 3k) i do not want to have to replace that each time the suspension goes bad which numerous posts have said is 100k. that's every 3 years!!!!

do you know if there is anything else that would have to modified like within the onboard computer? were they linked somehow so that the car will think it always have the air suspension? and...do you think any auto shop would be able to do this or would i have to use the dealer? my cousin is head mechanic at a local shop and has worked on my previous ES most of the time. with all the gadgets and things in the LS including the air suspension would it be better to just pay the extra $$$ at the dealer for the replacement or try my luck with the mechanic? :)
    We are kind of unique since both our locations only work on Lexus and Infiniti [which we started out on by not enough were sold]. The Infiniti certified techs had no trouble switching after reading the 2 - 4" thick shop manuals [$275 per year/model] for each year and model.
    Many dealers won't modify a car due to liability and if they do they surely won't use junkyard parts. To buy all new would run $500 per wheel.
    The Q45a had a much more complicated system which cost $6,000 to partial rebuild every 60k or so.
    We do a lot of retrofits on Q but all LS owners so far have opted to repair the airride.
    I had a similiar experience where I was driving 33k rough miles per year for 3 years [thank goodness that's over] it was costing close to 18 cents per mile to keep the car as new from 100k to 200k...new shocks and brakes every year,all day Sat maintenance once a month.
    When you drive this kind of mileage you have to spend $3-$4k per year minimum or the build of wear gets out of hand quick....watch out for suspension: front tension rods, upper/ lower a arms.
    Remember the older 90-93 were built better than the newer ones.
  • dealerfloridadealerflorida Member Posts: 50
    As a suggestion, why not get a quote for parts and shop manual from Ryan at www.irontoad.com, then a seasoned patient mechanic who works for a reasonable price per hour could probably do the job? we all know altering the factory design does not have the same result as replacing with exact OEM parts.
    Please explain your opinion for the better earlier build?
    I have owned 2 1992's and now own a 1997. I find the same engine and tranny, rear end, and suspension 92.3/97 pretty much the same car. The 92's gave me many aged related problems I have not experienced with the 97.
    In earlier posts I spoke of the slipping tranny after dropping the tran pan and fluid replacing.

First the correct fluid level check is hot (very hot) engine running on level ground.

Second dropping the pan does not release more fluid than opening the drain plug, both should drain 2 liters, or just above a quart.

Third the only logical reason for dropping tran pan is to access the permanent re-usable filter and clean it.

I ran into problems from incorrect earlier posts indicating that a pan drop releases more than 2 liters. This caused me to overfill after pan drop. I am not sure what the overfill caused but the car is fine now after a trip to the dealer.
    The level was up and down and inaccurate after fluid change. I drained it again and put back the correct amount to achieve proper level. this also did not work.
    I brought car to the dealer and was informed that the drain plug was stripped and fluid was leaking out. I was surprised as there was no fluid on floor under car ever, or as told under pressure on highway the leak only occurs, which would leave a trace of fluid on the under carriage. I approved the change of the pan with new drain plug ($295.00, reasonable) and ever since the tranny is fine.

I also heeded the advice of Q45MAN and changed the power steering fluid and cleaned screens ($300.00, pricey I thought) while auto was at dealer.
    The 97 is my daily driver and I really enjoy the car!
    "I have owned 2 1992's and now own a 1997. I find the same engine and tranny, rear end, and suspension 92.3/97 pretty much the same car. The 92's gave me many aged related problems I have not experienced with the 97."
    {so a 5 newer car should have few age problems}
    Obviously you have not examined the front suspension check out the tension rods, and upper a arms. The 90 lasted forever, after 95 we are seeing early failure [150,000 miles].
    We have 3 customers with over [not much but over] 300,000 miles on 90 LS400.
    The nice thing is they did improve the brakes.

"The '95 LS400 represented the first major overhaul for what Kazuo Okamoto, chief engineer of the '95 LS400, referred to as the "cherished child" in the Lexus/Toyota world.
    Interestingly, the '95 car went on a diet, losing some 95 kilograms (210 pounds).
    [[ 6% weight reduction was primarily removing [redesigning] the over designed components that never failed]].
    On the other hand, that year the Lexus engineers made the body significantly stiffer - which allowed for more fine-tuning of the suspension, resulting in improved handling." {at the expense of longevity}

Overall length stayed exactly the same, while the wheelbase increased by 35 millimetres (1.4 inches) to 2,850 mm (112.2 in.).
  • drivinfooldrivinfool Member Posts: 10
    Hey guys, you seem to be the main gurus on this board--I am having a major problem with my '94 LS--the engine cuts off on deceleration--no particular pattern as to when it does it, except that it is always at a low speed such as turning a corner or approaching a stop, or simply coming up behind another car. This loss of power is unnerving as I have almost rear-ended the car in front of me since I have no brakes! Doesn't seem to matter how long car has been running or whether engine is cold or hot; it has occurred 7 times now since I had in in for service in Nov. They were aware of the problem at the time, I had a complete a/c evaporator replacment and several other repairs to the tune of $2400. They kept my car for 5 days and on the way home, the car died again. They have no explanation except that "maybe" it needs a vacumn part (a $1000 part)
    but it is only a guess. It still may not be the problem. I guess my question is should I take my chances and have the part replaced? The car has 127M miles and this will make almost $4000 we have spent in a month's time. We have replaced PS pump, timing belt, water pump all since 95,000 miles. This makes a total of over $7000 spent in 30M mile span. My husband is pretty disgusted and we are ready to get rid of the car as we are not particularly impressed with the way the dealership has handled things either. They had the car two days without beginning the work and we had to call them to find out what was going on. Very poor communication. I had car in again on 12/20 and this is when they suggested it might need this part, but the computer module was showing no malfunction problems.

I might add that all maint. etc has been done on schedule, we are original owners but when is enough enough? This was my first Lexus and overall have been very pleased but also feel that maintenance is very high since this dealer is only one in the area.

Thanks for your input!