Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Pet Peeves

2»

Comments

• jckeenanjckeenan Member Posts: 3
    *Worst tire traction ever. Constantly skidding through snow, worst ever.
    *Poor seat heaters. Anyone else have a problem?
    *Paint bubbling and peeling off back emblem plate (replaced)
    *Poor Bose quality
    *"Key" light comes on frequently while driving... ????
    *Windows go down fine, but "thump" on the way back up

Some of these are move than peeves, actual problems. I've only had the car since May. Not the happiest.... I also am having poor customer service at my dealer. Example with windows, "Mam, I don't hear what you hear" But everyone else in my car does....
  • vikefan7vikefan7 Member Posts: 8
    I don't have a problem with the seat heaters, other than they get too damn hot. Would be nice to have a few options for how hot you want them to get.

My Bose sounds awesome, no complaints there.

As far as the key light is concerned, look in the manual. It suggests not putting your key in certain areas of the car because it can't "see" it.

I also have the thumping noise when my windows are rolled up, but it doesn't really bother me. It just means there's a good seal. :) If your window sounds like mine does, I don't know how they couldn't hear it...
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    *Worst tire traction ever. Constantly skidding through snow, worst ever.
    > Bridgestone Dueler 400 H/L is bad on snow. It's well-known.

*Poor seat heaters. Anyone else have a problem?
    > One setting is not flexible to anyone. But "poor"? What do you meant?

*Paint bubbling and peeling off back emblem plate (replaced)
    > Not a problem on mine.

*Poor Bose quality
    > When it comes to stereo, it is relative. People who know will say thar all Bose systems are trash. I think mine on CX9 is way better than my other vehicles. Of course, I am one of those who don't know stereo well.

*"Key" light comes on frequently while driving... ????
    > Your SmartKey ECU cannot see your key. Where do you put your key when it happened? SmartKey fob can be interfered by cell phone. Don't put them in the same pocket.

*Windows go down fine, but "thump" on the way back up
    > If the "thump" happens in the middle when rolling up/down, your problem is waiting to happen. Mine evetually stuck half-way. The cause is very simple. Some styroform(?) came loose blocking the glass mechanism. Let Mazda dealer check it out. It should be very smooth and quiet going up or down.
  • vikefan7vikefan7 Member Posts: 8
    Mone only thumps when it completely closes.
  • norseman56norseman56 Member Posts: 2
    It amazes me what people whine about.

So the CX 9 isn't PERFECT...so what? I think it's a wonderful vehicle. It is fast, quiet, smooth, excellent on the longerg drives.

The ONLY think I don't really care for is where they put the seat controls. I activate the seatback control every time I get in, and have to readjust it. Just a quirk, and I have gotten used to it. I think I'd rather have the seat controls on the door, though.

What can I say? I love my Mazda. It's been a wonderful experience from the day I walked into the dealership and signed the papers.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It amazes me what people whine about.

Whines and peeves are not the same thing.

The ONLY think [sic] I don't really care for is where they put the seat controls.

Is that a whine or a peeve? ;)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • nastacionastacio Member Posts: 370
    - Incredibly annoying, every time I start the car I need to press the "Outside" button to display the external temperature.

- Use actual aluminum on the trim pieces around the center console and doors. The coating on the plastic pieces is very fragile.

- Programming phone numbers in the bluetooth is very frustrating. Any mistake or misspelling throws you back at the main menu.

- No way to give commands while the automated voice recites all the phone options.
  • avmbaavmba Member Posts: 27
    Actually, you can give commands and interrupt the system by pressing the phone button on the steering wheel while the automated voice is talking. Give it a try!
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    In regards to your bullet #2 about the trim pieces, if you find the paint is scraping off easily, there is a TSB out for Mazda to replace those pieces free of charge.

Mine were damaged and all scraped up within 1 month and I wrote to Mazda to complain. Soon after a TSB was issued.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/cx-9/bulletin/09-033-08-1993.pdf

They'll replace for free if car is under warranty.
  • ewsncewsnc Member Posts: 14
    Noticed it on My 09 GT AWD. Is it left open by design or is my car missing a cover? I saw dirt has found it way in and started to build up.
    The rear glass water spray comes through that hole, but I agree, it looks like something is missing when you first look at it. If others on the thread can comment, maybe I am missing a part too. 08 GT.
  • 99zoomr99zoomr Member Posts: 55
    Nope, your not missing any part. It's just a hole. I don't notice it much, but maybe that's the advantage of having a darker color...
    My Cx-9 is brilliant black, I only see the hole when I look at it. :-)
  • vermontervermonter Member Posts: 10
    My small pet peeve with the CX-9 is the lack of light in the rear cargo area. When you open the back, there is no illumination behind the third row seats and the door lights do not come on. We have the black interior and sometimes at night I have to crack open a door and then return to the cargo area to see if I left anything back there.
    vermonter,
    You meant that even the light on the inside of the hatch does not come on?
    Did you set the switch on the 2nd row ceiling to "door" mode?
    Mine comes on every time I open the hatch. :confuse:
  • cx9doncx9don Member Posts: 2
    The clocks that loose time are a know defect that dealers will fix, by replacing the entire display module, if you bring the car in and complain. Don't ask me why they continue to install these clocks when they know they are defective. This is part of my major complaint, not with the wonderful CX-9 but with Mazda policies. There are a number of known faults in early CX-9's covered by Tech Bulletins but they are only corrected if you bring your car in and complain. The lose of power issue when climbing hills at low speed is potentially dangerous in my opinion and I believe Mazda should have issued a recall. The replacement of rear calipers and front disc pads should also have been covered by recalls.
    cx9don,
    I believe you were talking about the non-NAVI version, correct?
    The latter's time is based on GPS satellites. It is as accurate as the atomic clock.
    One does need to adjust for DST.
    The NAVI version does not allow you to adjust seconds or minutes. Only +/- hours.
    Hi Ceric,

All three ceiling lights are set to "door" and none of them illuminate when I open the hatch. They light up when I open any of the doors though.

Is there a light in the hatch door? I haven't looked during the day...
    There is a pretty big light on the inside panel of the hatch.
    Mine turns on when hatch is opened.
    Ha! I guess I should have looked during the day. The light on the inside of the hatch was turned off. It's all good.

I have no pet peeves - I love our CX-9!
  • cx9doncx9don Member Posts: 2
    You are correct, the clock problem is only found on non-NAVI vehicles. I had my replacement clock installed yesterday. Local dealer is great but I am not impressed with corporate Mazda.
  • haymistahaymista Member Posts: 12
    The size of the sunglass compartment. Not a big deal, but the compartment is incredibly small.
  • sanjaynsanjayn Member Posts: 8
    I bought a 2009 AWD port last week. All good so far but we have hardly 500 miles on it.
    My peeves:

1. Minimal internal storage, esp in front
    2. No Compass, would have been nice to have that included in the driver info module.
    3.Auto dimming mirror is not standard.
    I agree with #1. Very minimal....However, it eliminates the clutter of junk that one can stockpile.

2. Compass is built into the GPS system or into the Homelink /auto dimm add-on mirror
    3. Built into HomeLink mirror
    It seems that an Gentex autodimming mirror with compass will solve your #2/#3 complaints. Can't help you with the 1st, though.
    http://www.mazdaparts.org/au10.html
    Installation is fairly easy with clear instruction from Mazda.
    It would take about 1/2 - 2 hours depending on you skills.
  • newawdcx9newawdcx9 Member Posts: 7
    1. Rear hatch does not open high enough. I am 5'10" and I hit my head.
    2. Black floor carpets show dirt easily.
    3. Tow package not available on FWD models (except GT with a "mandatory" GT assist option).
    4. Dealers and salesman not knowing the tow capabilities of their cars.

But I bought it after looking at Pilots (2nd choice), Highlander (yawn), Sante Fe (good value but too small), Veracruz (too mushy and too expensive), Traverse/Acadia (poor availability ans too expensive). IMHO the best CUV out there.
  • wdhytewdhyte Member Posts: 92
    I don't think you're right on #2 and #3 Howard...or something is really wierd.
    We just got a 09 Grand Touring that has the HomeLink auto dimm mirror and it doesn't have the compass in it. If I look at the .pdf file on mazda usa of vehicle specs, it says the compass homelink auto dim mirror is standard BUT, if I look in the glossy marketing brochure it shows it as NOT available for the GT and it does show an autodim mirror w/garage door opener...like it was an afterthought? the wording just seems awkward to me. But something is fishy for sure...I'm inclned to go back to the dealer and ask them where my compass auto dim homelink mirror is that mazda usa shows as 'standard' (and i know i'll get the ol 'specs subject to change w/o notice' response); still it stinks...no compass on the GT...looking at parts/acc you can't even find/order the homelink auto dim without compass...it only asks if you have the auto sensor for the wipers or not. sheesh...Dave
    does it auto UNlock when you come back or do you need to hit the door button or fob control to do it?
    No. It does not auto-unlock for you. You still have to press the black dot on the handle. It is a good feature when your hands are full getting off the vehicle.
    The mirror is an aftermarket mirror model that MazdaUSA chooses, The model I have, installed by Mazda is the GENK45 as found on this site.
    http://www.mobilevideo4less.com/gentex/homelink.html

According to MazdaUSA their specification for the GT is the Homelink Compass Mirror as STANDARD. Go select Build a Vehicle, and choose Grand Touring. At the bottom of the list is this mirror model. I had to pay extra for mine.

Sounds to me like your dealer did a switcher-roo on you!
    yeah I think so as well but after discussing it with the boss ;) ...we came to the conclusion it would be a PITA whenever you get home and go in the house w/the car safely in the garage. If you had to go back out and didn't have the fob, its locked...or one of the kids go out to it, its locked...and if its lik emy F150 and you reach in the open window (assuming its open of course) and its locked and the alarm is set, if you operate the unlock from the inside and open the door the alarm goes off. Anyway...I'll probably not get it turned on. I did see in the forum here (forget which thread) about being able to have the dealer set the doors to autolock if you shift out of P or start moving or something...no ref in the manual to that affect. Know if it's true or not? TIA...Dave
    yeah I know! That's how I stumbled on it...I thought it very wierd that a SUV in this day and age would NOT have a compass in it...so after I saw that and then the vehicle specs showing it STD, well I got a bit PO'd doncha know ...so I'll be heading down to the dealer when my plates come in (we have about 400mi on it and really like it) and will be cornering somebody about this. Nice thing is that I obviously don't need the installation kit as it's already wired for the homelink/auto dim so it has to have both 12v feeds (ignition and constant). It *should* be just a swap of the head I'd imagine. Thanks for the reply...Dave
    and darned if you're not right about the mirror too. Went to the Gentex site you listed and theres the one I have, the GENK40. I am not amused/impressed. I WILL be taking this up with the dealer. I'll letcha know how it turns out. Thanks for the assist!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    As you say, sometimes brochures and ad copy changes. What does the Monroney sticker say, if anything?

Edmunds doesn't list the Auto-Dimming Mirror w/Compass and Homelink option pack as being available for the Grand Touring and it's not listed under the standard features.
    Monroney sticker? AKA the window sticker? It says "auto dim mirror" ...doesn't mention the Homelink system (which it has). It also shows a date of 20090627 so its a pretty recent production model. We'll see what I can get from whining ;)...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's a bit odd - Edmunds doesn't list Homelink for the Grand Touring that I can find. link
  • jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    the 2009 CX-9 brochure does say "Auto-dimming mirror; garage door opener" as "S" (standard) on the GT. i am sure by garage door opener, they mean the homelink system.
    yep, I came to the same conclusion; i.e., that the garage door opener is mazda speak for the homelink...thats why I thought the brochure read a bit awkward in that regard. elsewhere they use the brand name homelink and suddenly say (in the brochure) the homelink/auto dim with compass is not avail but the auto dim with the garage door opener is?? hhhhhmmmmmmmmm...something is fishy here methinks...is there a problem? does it not work in the GT (cant imagine why not)? and still if you look at the vehicle specs on line or roll your via the 'build your model' you CAN get the auto dim w/HL and w/Compass...so go figure eh...more to this than meets the eye...
    But the MazdaUSA sight does not lie!

Go the the MazdaUSA site and build yourself a 2009, CX-9 AWD GT. The Homelink Mirror with Compass shows up on the right.

THAT is how Mazda built and sells the car. Unless your dealer monkeyd with the sticker, you got shafted.
    Get screen captures of the website today. Just in case they change to the 2010 models between now and then, you'll have proof that Mazda builds the car with the homelink with Compass
    now THIS is a really good idea...thanks! I was gonna print it out too...heh...
    again, good idea...got it and the .pdf of the veh specs too...but...this is probably what is going to give me trouble...under the 'terms and conditions' at the bottom of all the site pages:

"INFORMATION AND ILLUSTRATIONS

Information and illustrations in the web site are based on the latest competitive and Mazda product information available at the time of posting. Some equipment shown is optional at extra cost; specific options may be available only in combination with other options. Specific combinations of equipment or features may vary from time to time and by geographic area: Colors in illustrations may vary from actual upholstery or paint colors due to reproduction and the specifications of users' computer hardware and software. Mazda reserves the right to make changes without notice in product content and price at any time."

still, i'im going to do my best clarence darrow and argue their sox off... :shades:
    Well that sucks...

Just don't show them that part....

Quite honestly, if you don't get satisfaction, Call MazdaUSA and file a complaint. I'm 85% positive that you'll get a credit for Mazda services to have it replaced.

Their customer service is excellent and I have been re-imbursed for their mistakes.
    It is very easy to leave it unlocked when parked in garage.
    All you have to do is close the driver's door at a step farer than you normally do.
    At beyond 3ft, the SmartKey can't sense your fob, therefore, no beep/no autolock.
    I do it all the times. Once you get to the routines, it comes very naturally.
    Sometimes, you have to leave the driver's door ajar to prevent it from locking.
    Cases include fueling up at gas station with passengers inside.
    Anyway, the up sides are
    - fun to show off to your friends and bystanders
    - useful when your hands are full leaving the vehicle
    well, strike #1

wrote (email) and called Mazda USA and they told me "specs change"...didn't matter that its still on their website that you can get the compass mirror...bascially told me things change...tuff noogies (and the droid I spoke with at first told me basically that I drove it off the lot that way...)

buttheads.

next stop, the dealer themselves...stay tuned.
    For lack of a better place to post this, I chose here ;)

after paying nearly $30k (not counting the TTL of course) for a new NON-NAV GT, seems to me that it *should* have the following as well:

1. built in COMPASS; (see my other posts on this, this is nuts; my 9 year old F150 came std with this)
    2. HD capable radio; (here in DFW, darn near every FM station has HD these days and more are coming all over the county, not just here)
    3. RDS capable radio; (c'mon, my 9 year old F150 also has this std...sheesh)
    4. LOTS more internal storage in the cabin; seen lots of posts on this one incl the reviews by Edmunds and Consumer Reports - they sure didn't make good use of the huge center console did they (and my wife would add the overhead storage for sunglasses where she CAN'T put hers because they don't fit)?
    5. ability to unlock the liftgate like the doors; just by pressing the buttons on the driver/pass door we can unlock the veh. Would be nice to be able to hit the latch lever on the back and hold it and have the veh unlock it when you're standing there with your hands full - just like the front doors do, instead of going to the doors first or using the unlock button on the fob itself
    6. Better MPG; duh ...wonder why other makers vehicles in the same class with the same size motor are getting better combined?

obviously none of these are a 'deal' breaker for me as we bought one and really do like it a lot...but it could have been nearly 100% with the above (I say nearly because I'm sure there's something I've missed)

anyway, not a rant posting, just an observation...what have you guys/gals noted and would add/change?
    well, strike #2 and #3 came in rapid succession.
    MazdaUSA says tuff noogies...thats what ya get for believing whatcha read.
    The Dealer, while they agreed and tried to argue for me to corporate, weren't about to pony up the tremendous difference of $60 to get me the compass version of the mirror.
    Soooooooo, got tired of waiting on em and I picked one up from eBay via a guy called wembleysells for $164 w/free shipping; thats $31 better than anywhere else I found it (and trust me I've looked). It's perfect and works great. I had a couple of questions and he came right back with answers and away we go. I'm not pitching for him (well not completely) but he delivered a good product at a great price and supported it afterwards. I wish his guarantee was better (30 days) but I saved the money and it looks brand new so I'm happy with it; just NOT happy w/Mazda.
    ...Dave
  • braqmoorebraqmoore Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I just purchased a 2010 CX-9 Sport last week and love it overall.

I searched the forums to see if anyone else had addressed my specific pet peeve and didn't find it, so here it goes: the angle of the gas pedal is too steep. I feel like after driving around town for any longer than 10 minutes I'm fighting off a shin splint. Has anyone else found this to be the case? We didn't notice it when we test drove it and I'm not sure if it would have been a dealbreaker, but it's really uncomfortable to drive.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has found this to be the case and, if so, is there a fix or a way to make it less steep? :cry:
  • rabadashrabadash Member Posts: 11
    You've probably discovered it by now, but there is a soft concealed button on the liftgate. On mine it's on the right side, half way between the plate and the right edge. Just feel under there. Pushing it once will unlock all doors.