Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Ford Ranger Differential Replacement

paprangerpapranger Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Ford
I'm replacing the (failed) ford differential in my 1999 Ford Ranger with a Detroit TrueTrac. I'm having a problem fitting the TrueTrac with the ABS exciter (tone) ring. The Truetrac doesn't have a milled notch to accept the tone-ring tab (as the original diff case did). I am thinking to grind a small recess in the diff case housing to accept the tab as its done in the original housing. Does anyone know of a reason why this won't work? Orientation doesn't seem to be relevant, but I could be wrong.

2nd question: Any reason why the original tone ring can't be reused. I seem to remember seeing someplace that it should be replaced, but I'd like to finish this job today (and its the weekend).

Thanks

Comments

• 1998 Ranger 2WD with 142,000 miles. Rear has been whining for past few months. I popped the cover off to change fluid. found the right carrier bearing sloppy. Where can I get information on replacing carrier bearings on this truck. Nothing available in my Chilton or Haynes manuals. I have a dial indicator, so thats not a problem
This discussion has been closed.