Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Suspension and Alignment

thndrcatthndrcat Member Posts: 2
If I let go of the steering wheel, it immediately veers to the right. Any ideas?
Judy

Comments

• clintonbclintonb Member Posts: 2
    My truck often veers to the left, but it is usually because my left front tire needs more air. That's a simple thing you could check.
  • 63pro63pro Member Posts: 15
    I have '91 Dakota, 3.6, rwd, standard cab. I want to basically replace or repair my front suspension. I bought a Hanes manual, an appropriate year/dealer service manual and am anxious to go at it. However, I am finding these manuals just don't cover enough detail to get me throught this. As an example, in looking at replacing the upper ball joint, I just assumed it was some kind of press fit, but when I went to auto parts store to get the replacement, it kind of looked like the joint "screwed" into some kind of "spacer" on the top portion of the control arm. This was not touched on by either of the manuals. I do have some mechanical sense, but still need help. I went on You Tube video, gained a little insight, but not much. Auto store personnel could help if I had a Camero, but seemed as baffled as me when they saw the replacement joint. Do any of you folks have any first hand experience you could share? I want to change both ball joints, spring, shock, and tie rod. Some I don't need help with, but upper ball joint and perhaps changing out all control arm bushings are in this no help catagory. Any help you could send me would be greatly appreciated. :confuse:
  • meesy26346meesy26346 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 w/ a lift on it...do you know if I can purchase a kit to level out the pitch of the front/rear drive shafts so that the front one stops eating u-joints and the rear one stops whining so much? If so, do you know where I can purchase this from? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • tjames1984tjames1984 Member Posts: 6
    We have a 94 Dakota (4x4, 318, manual tranny) and it needs control arms. All of the ones that we have seen so far online (and at the local junk yards) look completely different from whats on it now- granted- it's a salvage titled truck- so God knows whats on it now and what is SUPPOSED to be on it. Does anyone have a picture of the original STOCK control arms? or know where to get them? Just need both uppers...if they come with ball joints already installed- that would be AWESOME. If not- I'm definitely NOT going through AutoZone again for ball-joints. One of them is the reason we now need control arms. Replaced ball joints not even 3 weeks ago- and one of the ball joints didn't stay pressed in- vibrated up, shredded itself, and now we need a new driver's side control arm.- but not going to replace one without the other.