Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

03 auto trans fluid change or add new additives ?

dlstarrydlstarry Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Jeep
I want to change auto trans fluid & fillter in my 03 GC. My dealer tells me they don't do that unless the fluid is burnt or dark colored, & they don't change fillters unless it has to much resistance.
They have a machine that adds all of the new additives & checks the fillter.
They say that the oil never wares out but they addatives do, & this is the way Mopar wants them to do it, rather then taking the oil pan off.
Also this way all of the fluid has the right amount of additives, even the fluid that's in the converter.

Anyone ever hear of this before, & if so is it the best way to do it ?

Thank you
Denny

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I'm thinking that your dealer is, ummm, less than upstanding. What he's talking about is a transmission flush, a procedure that has caused any number of Chrysler 41TE transmissions to fail for various reasons (including but not limited to: clogging or damaging the filter, polluting the transmission with incorrect, dirty and/or worn out fluid, introducing additives that are harmful to the transmission, and misuse by the operator). The only approved method for servicing the 41TE is to drop the pan, replace the filter, and top off the fluid with ~4 quarts of ATF+4 (the ONLY fluid you should EVER use in your 41TE transmission, period, full stop, the end). Anything else will pad the dealer's pockets (and empty yours), AND potentially ruin your transmission (thus accelerating the funds transfer from your pocket to his).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dlstarrydlstarry Member Posts: 6
    Hi: Shipo

Thank you for the info, I'm glad I asked before having the dealer do
    it there way. I was thinking this might not be the best way to do it.

Thanks
    Denny
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I agree with Shipo. I just did a similar procedure on my wife's Outback (the only other auto tranny car we own). Outback's have a transmission drain plug, and an external filter, so no need to drop the pan. Just drain what fluid you can, then replace with the same amount (of the proper type, of course). In the Outback, this replaces about one-third of the transmission fluid. Do this every year and over the course of 3 or 4 years you will have effectively changed out all the fluid.
This discussion has been closed.