Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Honda Accord

Comments

• tankbeanstankbeans Posts: 585
    If you're talking about the backseats, then yes. ;)

But up front no.
  • I've received nothing but compliments on my Mystic Metallic Green 08 EX-L V6. I never thought I would own a green car. This shade of green appears at times more grey in certain lighting situations. Most agree it's very rich looking.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    heh-heh... funny boy. :sick:
  • I have owned Honda Accord for the past 20 years. Loved them all - until I saw the 2008 model. As much as I tried to like it, I couldn't! Looks a bit like a Saturn, or many other domeastic models, so I bought a Lexus. Hopefully in 4 years time, when they bring out the next model, I will buy another Accord.
  • sean35sean35 Posts: 6
    I think the Camry is much better than the Acoord. It is quick, luxurious, and cheap, while still having good looks and great MPG. There is even a hybrid, which is great. The Accord is more sporty, and there is no hybrid, good looks, or really much of anything
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    The Camry is a marshmallow on wheels. Look at a white sedan, and tell me that's not a marshmallow. Looks like one, drives like one too.
  • I test drove one in Hemet Ca in that color. The interior was black and overall it was a nice car. The exterior and interior go together well. It kind of makes the car look like a business class car instead of something sporty so my wife and I went with the black with black interior. The color is nice but not my kind of color on a car. Hope this helps.
  • keitha3keitha3 Posts: 124
    That's why there are different cars for different folk.

I seriously would not consider the current Camry. If I hadn't bought the Accord, I would have gotten a TL or the new Mazda6 or the Hyundai Azera or the Altima Hybrid or several other cars, but I just don't like the Camry styling, inside or out.

I'm not putting down Camry buyers, but, to me, the Accord is the better car. I also feel that they have taken a step backwards on the interior quality, fit and finish. I was just being driven in one today and it is not a car for me, but I'm glad you enjoy yours. For the record, I've owned both a Camry and Accord prior to my new purchase.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Regarding the subject line and subject matter of this post... we have a discussion devoted to Toyota Camry vs. Honda Accord. Perhaps you were looking for that one? :shades:
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Posts: 1,043
    In August I was ready to pull the trigger on a V6 EXL Coupe to save about $75 a month over leasing a new G35. When my wife sat in the Accord and saw the huge center stack with about 234 buttons she said no way. So shucks my wife made me lease a new G35.

The Accord sedan or a Camry were never in the picture, and I have leased 3 Accords in the past. I can't stand the rear end on the Accord sedan, and I hate the bulbous taillights on the Camry.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2015 QX60 RWD - Black Obsidian/Graphite - Premium Plus
    2017 Q60 3.0t RWD - Majestic White/Graphite - Premium Plus, Driver's Assist, Leather, Illuminated Kick Plates
  • Well for you I guess that's a winning situation. To be driving around in a G35 certainly can't be considered a bad alternative. In reality over the last year I've made contact with about 5 of those intimidating switches on that center stack. I guess the rest perform some kind of function, but they don't effect my daily use.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,724
    I think once the Accord has a deck lid spoiler or wing spoiler, it looks more pulled together, I think the rear of the Accord looks plain. But, it cannot be any worse than the new altima's rear end. Boy, try dragging that thing around town.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,042
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2008 or 2009 Honda Accord who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jwahl@edmunds.com no later than Monday, November 3, 2008 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    Just curious. I tried to follow the VCM threads here to find out but they wind together like linguini.
  • keitha3keitha3 Posts: 124
    Some have reported it does. I'm believing that most don't have this problem, although I'm also of the opinion that Honda should address the issue for those that do.

I already knew what price I was going to pay before going on a test drive. I insisted that the test drive would have to be a long one, including a lot of driving at freeway speeds, so I could assess whether I could notice the problem as has been documented here at Edmunds. I get along really nicely with this particular salesman, as we've bought from him before, but was firm that any perceived VCM problems would be a deal breaker. He was nice and off we went. I personally still haven't perceived anything and I do try to keep on noticing.

I'd suggest you set it up so that you can take a long test drive to test it out as best as possible. That would also allow for your testing of whether the seats are to your liking, as many have found them to be uncomfortable, whether from being too stiff or having an irritating lumbar support. On my ride, I deflated the lumbar support to its lowest position. Unfortunately, later on, after the purchase, I found myself uncomfortable. I spent some time adjusting the seats and they're now just wonderful for me personally. In that position, I found it more comfortable still to inflate the lumbar support a tad, but recognize we all have different bodies and tastes in comfort.
    Thanks Keith,

I came real close to buying an 08 Accrod until the VCM issues came up on these forums. I bought another new car recently. I am still mystified as to why Honda pushes this technology since a higher rate of gas consumption happens from a dead start or up hills where I don't believe the VCM kicks in - oh well. Don't get me wrong I am a Honda fan since I have owned 5 Honda/Acuras since 1984 and was happy with every single one of them. Definitely a driver oriented car. Much more than a Toyota although the I am sure the new Mazda6 is an alternative.

If I was a product manager at Honda I would insist on a Hybrid I4 and offer the V6 as a VCM-less model.

Hope everyone enjoys their 09 Accords.
  • I took the 2009 EX-L V6 w/Navi out for a test ride today and was informed that Honda has re-tuned the V6 to increase HP. The apparent result was a smooth VCM operation over what has been noted on the 2008. Very nice handling car at all speeds with nicely equipped features. It needed memory seats to really sell me.

Check it out for yourself. The VCM is not a factor in 2009.
    Though you feel upscale in the Accord, they cannot offer too many features, that would go right into Acura territory. Otheriwse its a close match, I am thinking if I don't get a TSX, I will get a loaded V6 Accord!

Thank you for letting us know, I had no idea they did this.
    I am glad they perhaps fixed the problem on the VCM. Now, if they can fix the dimming lights on the 4cyl, I would say that got themselves a good deal.
    The 4cyl doesn't get really great mileage compared to the V6 IMO.
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Posts: 1,043
    The 09 was not re-tuned to get the additional 3 HP, it was remeasured.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2015 QX60 RWD - Black Obsidian/Graphite - Premium Plus
    2017 Q60 3.0t RWD - Majestic White/Graphite - Premium Plus, Driver's Assist, Leather, Illuminated Kick Plates
  • Check out either vtec.net or Autoweek.com There are pictures of a new Accord Sport Wagon. Nice! :) Honda looks to be going after the Toyota Venza.

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=801271

kristi - you may want to start a new discussion
  • toyoman8toyoman8 Posts: 114
    What dimming lights are you talking about, dash lights? I have heard that head lights are frickering when the AC is on, not sure if they fixed that in 2009 models.
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Posts: 374
    It better start and stop the engine - I had an S2000 with push button start - the guys in the garage thought it was like most other manufacturers' push button starts - that it also stopped the engine. It did not - you turned the key to stop it - push it again? Just like cranking the key on any other car with the engine running - gind all the teeth off the starter motor! :surprise:
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Posts: 374
    The light dimming only happens with the 4 cyl cars and not the V6 VCM equipped cars
  • I am close to getting an 09 Accord EX-L. 4Cyl..Have they fixed the problem with the flickering headlights??
    I am really undecided BTW the 4 and the 6, but I heard that there are problems with the 6 also.
    Can someone enlighten me???
    First off the issues of the dimming lights have been going on for years, look for those previous posts. Now, the 08 models may seem to be a bit worse. But, looks completely normal to me. I had an 06 Accord, did the same thing, never thought a thing about it. Not until people brought it up here. The only to really tell for yourself. You need to go to the dealership and take the car out at night. Since it does get dark early, that will not be an issue.

I will say this, the 4cyl is peppy enough, and impressive, one of the best 4cyl engines out there. Think about your needs and wants, driving habits. Many posts on here are observations, does not mean it is the norm, and you have to feel that car out for yourself to get a true opinion. Read a few previous posts, with some observations. That will help.

Drive both cars, V6 and 4cyl. Another car to look at would be the Acura TSX with the peppy 4cyl. Lease deals are quite similar to the Accord right now! It is more sporty, has paddleshifters on the steering wheel, a bit more power than the 4cyl, but not quite a V6. Just a thought! Still a European Accord, still a Honda. Could be another option for you to look at.
  • Just picked our new Coupe LX-S last night and flipped through the manuals. Nowhere can I find a simple table that tells me the service intervals. I get the idea behind the dashboard reminders but also like to see something in writing that Honda recommends oil changes at 7.5k miles, plugs & filters at 30k etc... I typically go with 5K miles/oil chagne and push back when service 'advisor' tries to sell those expensive bundles.

Is there a table buried in the manual or on line? Thanks!
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    Honda is going with the Maintenance Minder system and hasn't been putting service intervals in their manuals lately. Some of the Gen 7 folks looked at the pre-06 model for the old service schedule since the cars were pretty much the same. You can find those on Honda's Owner's Link site.

I'm pretty comfortable with the MM system. Of course, your dealer would be glad to give you some sort of service schedule (like the unnecessary 3000k oil change.) ;)
  • tankbeanstankbeans Posts: 585
    My dealer wouldn't gain anything from that deal. They pay for all of the oil changes and only bring me in for the scheduled maintenance in the manual. Every time I go in they pull up the recommended services page from Honda's website and make recommendations from there. I have to start gathering some funds for the inevitable 60k as I don't have a garage am not handy and don't know any good small time mechanics. Most of the ones in my area are scheissters in one way or another.
This discussion has been closed.