Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

"Certified" luxury car

tedbelltedbell Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
I am looking at "certified" late model used Mercedes, Lexus, or Infinity. If it's certified by the manufacturer, is it still a good idea to have it checked out by an independent mechanic to feel safe buying it?

Thanks!!

Comments

• No
  • I beg to differ. I bought a CPO 2003 Lexus SC430. Salesman told me a CPO car must never have been in an accident. Next day I took it to the body shop I use for a touch up on the paint and was asked if I was aware the car had been in an accident (front and rear impacts areas). I called Lexus and asked if a Lexus can sell a car that has been in an accident as a CPO car. The long answer shortened is "yes" as long as it is deemed safe. During this adventure I learned that the dealership keeps the 150 + item checklist the mechanic uses to go over the car. By law here in California you can get the checklist and review it. When I requested the checklist a few days after I bought the car, the dealership gave it to me and sure enough the body damage was noted. With that info the Lexus delaership unwound the contract. I bought a new 2007 BMW 335i hardtop convertible instead.
This discussion has been closed.