Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee XJ Exhaust

morosemofermorosemofer Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Jeep
i want to get rid of my catalytic convertor and i need to know if anyone knows a cheap and simple way of going about this any help would be greatly appriciated


  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    if you drive it on the road you can get fined for removing the cat
  • i live in florida where there is no smog inspection so im not really worried about that.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    the fed has smog vans and they can park them wher ever they want to do a polution check they can tell if the cat is gone by the exaust (with the hipe of globle warming i don,t trust them)
  • 5213252132 Posts: 62
    Are you serious?
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    yep live in az and see them on the edge of freeway all the time
    take pitcture of car and driver +linc plate send notice gotya
  • if i ever see one ill worry about it but im not breaking any laws local or federal in the state that i live in so i cant get a ticket because in not doing anything illegal. i can also put wood bumpers on my xj and take the doors off and still not get a ticket
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    It's a violation of federal law to remove a catalytic converter.

    "In addition to federal law, forty-five out of the fifty States also have statutes or regulations which prohibit tampering with the pollution control equipment on motor vehicles or driving or selling such vehicles. Thus, vehicle owners who tamper with their own vehicles may be subject to substantial penalties under both federal and State law."

    (EPA Factsheet - pdf file).

    Not only are you smogging up your air, removing a cat likely will hurt the performance of your car. (Full Line Exhaust)
  • tdosetdose Posts: 3
    Ok i have looked every where I can think of and can't just the piping for the exhaust, i want to put a flowmaster 70 Series on my cherokee but can't find the pipes to go with it? I Know people do it, do they all have the pipes custom made?!?
  • 66phil66phil Posts: 4
    I read a few posts. Most of them are from Do-gooders who apparently want to become Government enforcers. My instincts tell me that you chances of getting caught without a converter are about like getting a jay walking ticket. Has anyone every gone to court because they were caught removing the converter? I think not. Anyway, a couple things to keep in mind. I think you can still buy a "converter test pipe". I believe this is made specifically for permanent replacement, but they word it as such to be legal. I did buy one several years ago, they may not be available now. You will have to check. Also, does you car have any o2 sensors? That could be a big problem because the fuel mixture is constantly adjusted to those reading, and no converter means you have to take them off. That wouldn't work; your car wouldn't even start most likely. IF you have no O2 sensors, get the Catalytic converter test pipe. If you have O2 sensors, get the Magn-flo (I think that is the name, might be Magnum ) Flo-thru Converter. Get it on eBAy and have your local muffler shop install it. Make sure they use the largest diameter exhaust pipe from that point to th tips. Hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.