Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GM Performance Parts for Yukon

fastdog1fastdog1 Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in GMC
2005 Denali, 6.2. Has anyone installed or heard of experiences with the Catback exhaust system (touring or performance), Catback exhaust tip, (single or double walled), or the Performance air intake that GM offers? Please just comment on the GM parts. They would run about $1200 plus install. I know there are many aftermarket options that might be cheaper, I just like using manufacturer accessories.

Comments

• brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 36
    2005 MY has 6.0L engine, the 6.2L didnt come out till GMT900 body style in 2007
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Corsa has a great catback system. A GM dealership has the option of installing any type of aftermarket parts. Usually the one that provides the most profit. Unless it has an 8 digit GM part no. it is not a GM part.

Cold air intake? Save your money. You will get maybe 1HP increase at a cost of over $350. You will also get increased in cab noise and a dirty throttle body. Been there done that.
  • fastdog1fastdog1 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the info on the cold air intake. Won't waste my money. The exhaust system is GM. It wasn't just offered through the dealership parts, I had looked at it from GM's accessory website.
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    I can't agree more about the Cold Air Intake... only a fashion statement with nothing great that's worth the money.
  • daveinfldaveinfl Member Posts: 2
    I've made a few mods to my Denali, most between 25k-35k miles. First, I added a slightly used K & N intake from eBay ($225). I agree with the statements above concerning small power increase and noise (but I like the noise). Second, I ordered a set of Gibson shorty headers (in Stainless Steel) and a Gibson cat-back system. Gibson makes at least two models. I went for the single exhaust pipe for torque and low noise (I know, I stated I liked noise, but not ehaust). I wanted to keep a low noise level since it is a luxury ride. These two mods easily raised the HP +25.

Then I got a set (4) of slotted & drilled rotors off eBay ($50 each, including shipping) and ordered EBC brake pads from an online store that sent me the wrong items. Eventually I got the correct pads and braking was improved as was pedal feel (reduced sponginess), but the EBC rear pads wore-out within 12K miles. The local garage that had installed then for me replaced them with premium Wagner pads that have run probably 60k now. I was skeptical about the rotors because they were a no-name & cheap, but they have been great showing little wear and have been turned once. They now have over 100k on them and will probably see 200k.

My Autoride compressor failed at 101k (outside extended warranty). Replcing the compressor was to be $1200 so I got a set of Bilstien shocks and springs (rear) for about $350. They give a slightly firmer ride, but have a couple of flaws that, if known, I would not have replaced the Autoride. #1 towing. Since the rear Nivomat units (which are HUGE) were replaced with shocks AND springs, the rear will still squat with a heavy load. The Autoride NEVER did this; they auto-level. #2 idiot light. The "Service Ride Control" message light is on whenever the engine is running. I have tried a couple of things recommended on this forum to no avail. I'll have to live with it. (I wish I would have held onto those Sachs Nivomats....)

Outside of replacing plugs and wires with better than stock grade stuff, the last mod was a BBK 80mm throttle body (used from eBay $125). WOW! this thing added as much HP as the headers & cat-back. I think the stock throttle body was a weak link between the intake & exhaust. Also, my stock TB was bad anyway (two replaced under warranty).

I like my Denali better than any other vehicle I've owned, but with gas at $4 and rising, all the mods I've done to gain power that I don't use has increased my MPG about +2 with air, +4 without. Since I live in SW Florida, the air is on 9 months out of the year. I just turned over 135k miles and it still runs and drives like new. The interior is getting a little tattered, but it is PAID FOR.

Either I'll get a Jeep Liberty CRD or I'll see the Denali turn over 200k within the next couple of years.
This discussion has been closed.