Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2004 Grand Caravan Towing recommendations

runem99runem99 Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Chrysler
I am looking to tow a boat with my 2004 Grand Caravan. It is a SXT with a 3.8 L V6. I know that I need to put a few things, such as a trans-cooler, load-leveling suspension and I'm pretty sure there is a couple other things that need to go on it. I can't seem to find anywhere that offers a kit or even a list of what is needed and where to get it. Any advise on this would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    First off, how heavy is your boat and trailer rig? If it's over 1,800 pounds (or 1,500 if you are going to have more than two persons in the van), then there is absolutely nothing that you can do to your van to make it legal for you to tow your trailer, period, full stop, the end.

If you opt to tow a trailer over the guidelines set forth in your Owner's Manual and have an accident, even if it isn't your fault, you may be blamed for it and have to cover the liability for the accident, you're gonna be in some serious financial hurt because your insurance company will have been let off the hook due to the overweight tow. Long story short from a legal perspective, you cannot retroactively give your van a Trailer Towing Package, even if you convert the entire van to the mechanical equivalent of a van with a factory tow package.

Now, if your trailer is 1,800 pounds or less, then adding a tranny cooler and a hitch is pretty much all you need to do. If your trailer is heavier than that, you'd be best off buying another vehicle to tow with.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    runem99runem99 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info, especially the cya legal stuff.

The entire rig (Boat, Trailer, Motor) runs between 1800-2000 lbs. I know the Caravan limit is 1800lbs but what I don't understand is how I could have bought it with a tow package to pull up to 3600 lbs but I can't add those same enhancements now? Maybe I am missing something but if the new vans add suspension changes, transcoolers and a different radiator to give it the "Tow Package", then whey can't I add those to mine now?

Thanks again for the info.
  • Options
    You can add the components, you just cannot legally change the towing limit as set forth by the manufacturer. Right or wrong, that's how the laws work :(

I'm quite sure if you call your insurance company and tell them that you want to tow a boat that is 200 pounds over what Chrysler has certified your vehicle to tow, they'll tell you that if you have an accident, you're on your own, no coverage. It sucks, but there it is.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    tryntotow2tryntotow2 Member Posts: 1
    The question was simply "what are the components required for the tow package"...the owners manual states a more than adequate towing capacity with this package. It would be interesting to get someone knowledgeable about these components instead of the legal ramifications of having that upgrade installed after the vehicle is purchased.

thanks
    b
  • Options
    Your rant not withstanding, I stand by what I said over a year ago and will comment no further on the issue.
This discussion has been closed.