Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    It isn't. You have remember that Justin is posting from another planet.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Golf is available with great engine. The 1.9L TDI. It is a Wards ten best engine and achieves 49 MPG compared to 37 MPG of the MINI. Golf has 155 lb/ft of torque and the MINI only 110. And the Golf has 18 cu ft of cargo capacity (more than even the Jetta) and the MINI only has 5 cu ft.
    PERFORMANCE. What is performance to you? When I think of performance, I don't think of luggage space and fuel mileage. I guess I'm just crazy. Using that criteria for performance, the Porsche 911 twin turbo must be one of the WORST performing cars out there.
    Performance is the manner in which something functions. To quote the dictionary "The way in which someone or something functions: The pilot rated the airplane's performance in high winds.".
    MPG is one aspect of performance, cargo capacity is one aspect of performance, top speed is one aspect of performance, skidpad and etc., etc...
    TDI has excellent off line performance due to high torque at low RPM, will go 110 MPH, and still achieve over 40 MPG. The difference between going 0-60 in 7 seconds or 10 seconds is not the most important criteria in purchasing a vehicle for me. Taking off from a stoplight, merging on an onramp, passing, cruising at 85 MPH are all functions that are performed w/o any difficulty in a TDI. I used to ride a VFR 750 and drive a Capri RS with modified 5.0 so I am well aware of high speed performance. For the most part I believe it belongs on the track.
    The 1.8T is a very nice motor but I have the same sheetmetal as the 1.8T Jetta on my TDI and I can travel 700 miles plus on a single tank of fuel. And the fuel is $0.24/gal less expensive than premium. I can travel just as fast thru a corner as a 1.8T, you can accelerate faster though I expect I will catch you at the next stoplight in city driving and in highway driving unless a 1.8T is driven at greater than 110 MPH then the TDI will be able to keep up.
    2.0 is likely adequate for most people, even if this topic does have a majority of 1.8T owners. Most of which have rattles which both my Jetta and Golf do not have.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    just FYI, in 02 you can get a 2 door Golf (not a REAL GTI in my opinion) with the 1.8T. in my friends case, he got a 4 door 5 speed 2.0 Golf that accelerates within seconds of a 115hp (base) Mini. It just happens to cost several thousands of dollars less, and as far as handling goes, i know that the Mini is based on BMW specs, and that makes YOU salivate, but not everyone agrees with you on that. :) my friend wanted good performance and nice looks. he decided the Mini isn't a car you can live with in two years after they are considered "over"....the Golf isn't gorgeous, but it will age well. i tend to agree. the Mini, right now, just isn't worth the cash. maybe in awhile when they stop getting MSRP.

the Mini is just like the PT Cruiser and Beetle. A gimmick. that gets old in less than a year. in my opinion it is a neat little car, but they are already EVERYWHERE i look around here. not unique anymore. and that is really all it has going for it, in my opinion. in fact, a Golf is much more rare it seems. everyone has Jettas :) not to mention, in my opinion again, the Mini interior is straight out of Pontiac school of design. too round, too much shiny stuff. seems like it is better put together, with a step up in quality, but that isn't saying much. why can't all car makers offer quality and functionality and simple style like VW, at a VW price?

newcar -

lay off the (not so) smart remarks. they make you look extremely "slow" - we haven't been in "attack" mode in almost two weeks! get with the program. even BLUEGUY and I are playing nicely. :)

just some friendly advice....
    The mini performs better than a Golf 2.0L. Period. How it looks, whether or not it's a fad, etc. is irrelevent.

moparbad- When most people think of performance with regards to automobiles, they don't think of fuel mileage or cargo capacity. You chose aspects of performance that would put the Golf ahead of the Mini and would make the statement "got him better performance" true. Well, most people don't think of performance that way which is the reason you don't hear Civic Hybrids and Golf TDI's refered to as "performance" cars. You know exactly what I am talking about and I have a feeling that you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

"For the most part I believe it (performance) belongs on the track."

And you belong in a TDI Golf.....
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    >>Golf is available with great engine. The 1.9L TDI. It is a Wards ten best engine and achieves 49 MPG compared to 37 MPG of the MINI. Golf has 155 lb/ft of torque and the MINI only 110. And the Golf has 18 cu ft of cargo capacity (more than even the Jetta) and the MINI only has 5 cu ft. <<

Okey dokey. To each his own, man. When I think performance I think of something quick off the line, that has some punch and that doesn't weigh down the vehicle. TDI's have some pull but what's the 0-60 on one of those? 9-10-11 seconds? C'mon my 91 Stanza did better than that. And while I may care a bit about gas mileage, when it comes to gas or performance, performance always wins for me. I can stop for gas more often...

Justin, FYI in 02 you CANNOT get a Golf with a 1.8T. You can get a GTI, but not a Golf. 01 was the last year of the 1.8T Golf. http://www.edmunds.com/new/2002/volkswagen/golf/index.html Check out the page with all the Golf versions. No 1.8T. Just the TDI and the 2.0.

I do agree about the mini being the flavor of the month. And I think it's too small. But from everything I've heard, it handles as if it were glued to the road. And with the S model it'll hit 60 in under 7 seconds. Not too shabby.

• fhohiofhohio Member Posts: 10
    Our 2001 Jetta uses around a quart of oil every 1500 miles or so. I'm not certain if VW has changes the piston rings or not regarding this issue. If you have a brand new Jetta 2000 (miles) as the one posting indicated, this issue may have been resolved after our was built (May 2001). This appears to be a common complaint with the 2 liter engine. There is a technical service bulletin out on this topic. but it applies to all models, not a specific engine.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    VW considers a quart every 1000 miles to be "normal", so if you aren't using more than that they won't do anything to help you.
    The majority of Jetta sales are the 2.0 model. That should give you an indication of what type of performance the buyers are looking for. Safety, style, quality of materials and cost are all ahead of 0-60 mph. So don't tell me that the 1.8T is the only motor that will perform for Jetta buyers. Having sold cars for period of time after I graduated college I was amazed at what was driving the purchase decision. Payment,seating comfort, color, how big is the trunk, how does the radio sound, safety, V6 or 4 cyl., and on and on. The person seeking 0-60 mph and handling was NOT looking for a 4 door sedan like the Jetta. Now VW has created an image of performance with the 1.8T and VR6 Jetta but they are driving off the lot in the 2.0.

Was I "arguing" just to argue? No, I was providing a different viewpoint to counter the 1.8T is great and everything else is crap viewpoint that I see so often here.
    How many TDI sales are there? How minute is that portion?

Yes, I'm well aware of what the sequacious masses prefer...SUVs, minivans, Camcords, etc. They're not interested in luxury, style, performance or anything beyond cupholders and if it's as good as the Jones's car.

For under 20k I couldn't find another car that matched the Jetta's mix of safety, luxury-like feel and some sporting character. Now if all I cared about was some measure of luxury and safety, I could have purchased a roomier, more reliable, better made soulless Honda or Toyota.

While final 0-60 numbers aren't paramount, they do determine for me if a car feels safe. If I can not accelerate to 60 in under 8 seconds I feel VERY vulnerable when merging onto the freeway. The 2.0 from my experience felt decidely unsafe for just that reason. It couldn't get out of its own way unless it's perched atop a hill.

Maybe others can live with an unresponsive engine and a constant feeling of the car's rear-end dragging. Sorry, that doesn't fly for me. Never will.
    Two seconds are the difference between safe and unsafe. ROTFLMAO! quote blueguy- If I can not accelerate to 60 in under 8 seconds I feel VERY vulnerable when merging onto the freeway. The 2.0 from my experience felt decidely unsafe for just that reason. It couldn't get out of its own way unless it's perched atop a hill.-end Your entitled to your opinion as am I, but two seconds is nothing for a skilled driver.
    For those considering a Jetta and wondering if a 2.0 is too slow, count off two seconds and if you feel vulnerable thinking about it the 2.0 is not for you. After reading your hill comment I realize just how EXTREME your opinion is.
    As far as TDI sales they are between 10-15% of total sales. The number sold is limited more by the number of engines available right now more than it is by consumer demand. Even if there were more TDI available I doubt that the percentage would ever reach 20% in the current climate of low fuel prices and the desire for more HP and bigger vehicles in the US. How long can it be before we see Ford Expeditions with 500 HP that get 9 mpg? I'll stick with my 50 MPG, 10 second 0-60(I don't feel unsafe!), 16" Montreal II wheels for extra traction, Jetta TDI.
    >>2 seconds is nothing for a skilled driver<<

Get real, it's 10 seconds. It's hard enough making the Jetta perform well at 7.1-7.5 seconds, I can't imagine the abject horror of merging onto San Diego freeways in a car that takes that long to reach a meager 65 mph (which is too slow to begin with). No amount of skill can compensate for the fact that the base and TDI Jetta can't easily merge from a on-ramp lamp. I've seen the 2.slows and TDIs getting onto the freeway from the lights. I've passed them too. Without breaking 5k on the tach. They're perpetually standing still when it comes to merging/changing lanes.

To be frank 0-60 isn't really indicative of what I need so much as the 0-75 times required for me to launch from a freeway on-ramp and merge comfortably with the flow of traffic. Do I want to slice through traffic or suffer the indiginity of seeing another car's lights bearing down on me because my car can't slip into the flow? Maybe for "skilled" drivers it's fun cutting off people traveling faster than they are, or even better, braking into the lane after one car speeds by so the next guy has to slam on his brakes for you. I see those "skilled" drivers every day: "I can't reach a reasonable rate of speed quickly, but I'll move into your lane and cut you off, then add to my error by hitting my brakes as you approach." (why the blazes do people do that anyway?!!!)

I did driver's ed at 15 (after 5 years of driving on my own already) and I remember the horror of getting onto the freeway in a K-car (I was used to driving a Z28, Pulsar and various V6/V8 powered trucks). You simply can't go from a standstill to freeway speeds in a safe amount of time in a car like that. You're forced to merge by simply cutting off people and making them slam on their brakes or braking (momentum crushed) and then moving into the lane. No thanks.

To be honest my Jetta's not nearly fast enough for me. The 1.8T feels nice but I think the car needs another 100 HP and 100 lb-ft of torque to really feel comfortable at all times. Even now I reach points where I need to leap forward with more speed and the 1.8T can't make it happen fast enough.

We have different needs and driving styles. You value MPG - I really don't. While I'd like to see north of 25 mpg in the Jetta more than once a year, I realize it's my own fault that I don't. No big loss, so I buy more gas.

500 HP Expeditions? Can Ford build an engine that powerful? I thought they were tapped out with their Focus. LOL (before people attack, I'm aware of Ford's futile attempts at performance cars: Mustang Cobra, GT-40, etc).
  • chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    I must admit, 100 more hp in the 1.8T would be soo fun, but I don't think anybody needs that much power to "be comfortable." Thats just ridiculous, you are out of regular sedan territory in terms of acceleration at the point, it would have to be a competitor for the M3. That much hp in a FWD vehicle would be tough to manage as well. If you look at the Saab 9-3 Viggen, it actually has to limit the torque in first gear to 187 ft-lbs (from 237 I think) just to keep things manageable. Nobody NEEDS that much power, its just fun to have.

In terms of the TDI not being able to get out its own way, I dont know if you have driven it or not, but I have no problems getting on and off the highway. I drive on three highways in each direction on my commute to work, and have to accelerate out of 7, count them 7 (I know, it sucks money out of my wallet pretty fast), and I find myself accelerating faster than most of the other cars. Traffic on the Mass Pike in the Boston area is extremely aggressive, and I have no problems keeping up. I don't pull out in front of people at a slow speed, and I hate people that do. I think that is less of a function of your car's ability to accelerate and more a function of poor judgment.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I think I am one of the few (in here at least) to support and praise my 2.0 Jetta. Yes, it is not as fast as the 1.8 or V6, but for me it is smooth and gets good fuel economy. You all are arguing over which engine is best, but the important point to remember is VW provides the Jetta in various engine configurations. That said, each buyer that goes into a VW show room has the option of choosing an engine that BEST suits their lifestyle. Whether that be fuel economy (TDi), performance (1.8 or V6) or a combination of both (2.0). They have Jettas for everyone. So, I don't see the point in arguing. Everyone has their opinion and can choose what they want. If VW thought everyone wanted to drive the same kind of Jetta they would only provide one choice for the engine.

This is just my analysis on VW Jetta/engine choices.

BTW - I love my 2.0 jetta. Also, I have over 2,000 miles on my Jetta and the oil dip stick has not budged from full. It may appear that VW finally fixed the oil consumption issues of the past. At least I hope so.
    What I meant to say up there was that I have to accelerate out of 7 tollbooths every day, I kind of neglected to actually say tollbooths. Hehe.
    If people in San Diego knew how to drive on the road without going 100mph for no darn reason at all, then you wouldn't need a 280hp engine in a car. I drove on the 5 back in 1999, almost got myself killed by some dumb jerk cutting me off when we were travelling at 80+mph, and that was the SLOW lane. People just need to slow down to normal speeds (esp. in CA), and then maybe it would be easier to merge onto the roads.
    I would have gotten the 2.0 and saved the money had there not been previous concerns about oil consumption. But I do find the 2.0 a little dull though. You have to really work it to get going, and it's still alot slower than the 1.8T. It ends up getting worse fuel economy when you work it hard too.

On the other hand, the TDI is pretty good. I wanted pure, brute power in my Jetta, so I got the turbo engine. Next time, I might settle for a diesel (I drive ~100 miles a day usually) if they bring over the bigger, better diesels from Europe in the MKV.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I agree, the 2.0 is VERY dull compared to the 1.8t. The 1.8 loaner I had was quit fun to drive. Once the turbo lag disappeared, the car really kicked it. Though sometimes the lag was a bit frustrating. The turbo kick was almost too harsh sometimes.
    I remember someone in here talking about initial quality vs. durability with regards to the VW. I didn't know JD power did this study, but here it is:

http://detnews.com/2001/autos/0111/20/b01-345143.htm
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Bigger more powerful?

Some of PD TDI motor, are more powerful, (130 & 150 bhp), but not bigger.

The 2.5L V6 TDI makes about as much power has the 1.9L 150 bhp PD TDI.
    >>people in San Diego knew how to drive on the road without going 100mph for no darn reason at all, then you wouldn't need a 280hp engine in a car. I drove on the 5 back in 1999, almost got myself killed by some dumb jerk cutting me off when we were travelling at 80+mph, and that was the SLOW lane. People just need to slow down to normal speeds (esp. in CA), and then maybe it would be easier to merge onto the roads. <<

Different strokes. I go nuts when I drive in Oregon and Nevada as everybody does exactly the speed limit. It's like those states are giant retirement communities. One weird thing I've noticed in those states is that other drivers actively block you from speeding. I eventually caught on to this and found myself travelling in the slow lane quickly and then cutting over to the faster lanes to pass. Seems you can sneak up on the slow drivers from directly behind but if you're in another lane they see you and block you. Weird.

Oh, 280 in a Jetta would be magic. Yeah outa the front wheels that'd be an issue (though the Maxima puts out 255), so maybe they should slap the 4Motion into it too! Heh, heh, heh.
    Are you one of those people who cuts in and out of traffic unsafely just so he can speed like an idiot? That is so not safe to do on the highway. Those type of people are always the ones whose tag numbers I report to the State Police.
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    blueguydotcom - you are troublin' me :)

driving since 10? and the need for 300 hp to feel "adequate"

wow...all I can say is wow. I don't think you merge into traffic as much as you race into pole positions on the freeway. I have never driven a San Diego freeway, but I cannot imagine they are radically different than Chicago, Minneapolis, or Phoenix freeways in demeanor or aggressiveness. Launching your car 0-60 in 3.9 seconds may make you feel good, but I think the other factors that weight into what would make a car that fast are costly indeed.

The 1.8T is a very nice engine, lots of pop and verve for a small, quasi-entry level, sports sedan. The TDI, on the other hand, gives you real world performance that is more than adequate for 99% of the world's drivers (and yes, I ALWAYS think my cars could benefit from a little more power myself) but also give commuters a good comprimise of utility and frugality. The 2L is a decent engine, but other than the savings of purchasing a 2L, I think it falls a little short on both sides, neither blistering performance nor frugality. That is why it is not well-loved by most "enthusiasts" IMO, because the engine has the worst sides of both coins (other engines) a 30 mpg engine that is on par with the performance of the TDI. But saving $2k out the door at the dealership is no joke, and the 2L should be an easier car to maintain (no turbo or diesel vs. gas issues).

I can respect your need for speed blueguy...but I question your use of the word "need" when I think "want" would be more accurate a description. I want a Porsche 911 Turbo once in a great while, to blip past annoying trucks and drunk drivers weaving to and fro...but most days my lil 138 hp 318ti is enough to get me around just fine, even accelerating onto the highways.

Besides, unless you onramps are only 100 ft long, you should have plenty of space in your lane to reach a safe speed before you merge. I can hit 75 easily in my slow car before I need to merge over into the traffic lanes...

not trying to pick on you, but it just didn't add up to responsible driving/ownership to me. Could be wrong... :)

happy motoring, and remember, the right lane is for slower traffic, the left lane for loading and unloading...
    Vocus, I tend to stick to one lane (usually the fast lane, though during high traffic times the slow lane's often the most open), unless I have to move around people who are only doing 75-80 in the fast lane. Not much is more annoying than coming up on a slowpoke in the fast lane, flashing your lights and they just camp there. According to CA's state law, they're supposed to move to the right when it's safe. 95% of the people in the world don't do this, thus requiring that I change lanes, go around them and then back into the lane.

BTW, what good does it do to call the police? It's not like you can get a ticket without a cop witnessing the infraction. FWIW, i've been driving for 18 years (12 legally) and I've only got one speeding ticket (earned in Nevada while arguing and not paying attention to NV's outback, [non-permissible content removed] law enforcement officers).
    My dream car is the 911 Turbo. That'd fit my needs perfectly. Or an M5 (best of all worlds, german, beautiful, room for 4 and luggage and it's got a beast under the hood). For now the Jetta will suffice (though the g35c is calling my name).

And yes I started driving at 10. My friend's parents would take us out to college parking lots and also to a several hundred acre farm outside of Sacramento and we'd tear it up with all sorts of cars. Lots of fun. I'd say it's the best way to learn how far you can push a car if you can drive around without fear of hitting anything. Hey what happens if I yank the parking brake up and crank the wheels? Try it. Induce oversteer in a FWD car (not an easy task)? Give it a go. Purposely fishtail with a RWD car? Go for it.

And the one on-ramp I use daily from work actually is about 100-150ft. It's a short one and it requires you get on it. The idea is, do you get on it and strain the engine or can you hit it and have more on-tap should it be needed? There's the key element. Most cars can hit 80+ in the 1/4 mile today, but how many can do that and continue to pull strongly? Not many. I know, I drove just about every car made before settling on the Jetta.
  • AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    You need to go get yourself a GIAC chip. :^)

200+hp and 245lb-ft from your 1.8T

It'll feel like a whole new car. Probably should order a new diverter valve at the same time tho. :^)
    There are 3 different "stages" with the APR chips. I was told, because I have the Tiptronic automatic transmission, that I could only go to stage 2. That provides like 220hp or something like that though. I next to never have situations where more power would be beneficial for my car, so it doesn't really bother me.
    I would say that is quite a reasonable speed to be moving at in the fast lane. CA state law may say they have to move over, I know first hand Mass state law says the same. My friend got pulled over for failure to keep right and got a $100 ticket (dropped in court). I am sure CA state law also says however that you are required to not be going faster than that, so it shouldnt be an issue. I am not crusading against speeding, I usually maintain 75-80 in a 65 on my commute, but I will hit 90 now and then if I am trying to get around something or I lose track. Just saying that 80 really isnt slow.

Oh and BTW, my TDI is still pulling strong when I get past 80. My 60-80 acceleration time is probably pretty close to your 1.8T, while staying in 5th no less.
    A friend of mine has the APR chip in his 01 1.8T Golf. Loves it. It's got insane amounts of on-tap power.

I would chip mine if not for the fact that I hope to part ways with the car in near future (hopefully by year's end).
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    I'm not really sure where you are from, but here in MASS, diesel is more expensive than gasoline.

a neat place to compare prices:

http://www.massachusettsgasprices.com/retail_price_chart.asp

Haven't seen a mini here yet.

The beetle and PT cruiser are going strong here, not out of style as you suggest.

quality? Not from the rattles people here complain about.
    "...I'm well aware of what the sequacious masses prefer...SUVs, minivans, Camcords, etc. They're not interested in luxury, style, performance or anything beyond cupholders and if it's as good as the Jones's car.

They want decent, reliable, affordable transportation. Is that so bad?
    "Traffic on the Mass Pike in the Boston area is extremely aggressive, and I have no problems keeping up. I don't pull out in front of people at a slow speed, and I hate people that do. I think that is less of a function of your car's ability to accelerate and more a function of poor judgment."

---
    "...knew how to drive on the road without going 100mph for no darn reason at all, then you wouldn't need a 280hp engine in a car."

Yeah, I thought it sounded funny too. Kind of like someone is trying to make up for lack of driving skill and judgement with horsepower.

?
    Out here diesel is cheap. It's a steal at $1.49 a gallon (compared to $1.75 a gallon for premium). Figure in the added mpgs you get with a TDI and most owners are probably saving at least $500 when compared to my $1000 a year gas bill.

Anonymous, "They want decent, reliable, affordable transportation. Is that so bad?"

I know. That's what I wrote. They're not interested in anything beyond cupholders (the true mark of quality in the USA) and what the Joneses' drive.
  • AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    Was it Dave Barry who said that "Anyone driving faster than you is a maniac, and anyone driving slower is an idiot." ?
    I think it was Dave. So true too.
    I dont know what gas stations you are going to, but the ones that I usually see, excluding the one at the airport, the diesel price runs from 10 cents lower than regular unleaded to the same price, rarely higher. I have been paying between 1.299/gal to 1.379/gal at stations both in Boston and Worcester. The stations at the rest areas on the Pike (which I avoid due to poor quality diesel) seem to hold the diesel price level with the regular unleaded price, either 1.399 or 1.419 lately.
    And the diesel is cheaper than regular grade gas? I pay 133.9 for regular gas for my turbo and it runs fine. Sometimes (lately, because it's been pretty hot), I put in 89 octane for 139.9 a gallon. Diesel is about the same price here as regular gas (Baltimore, MD), but the diesel goes 2x the distance on the same gallon though. :( I am thinking I should have gotten a TDI since I drive ~100 miles a day. Oh well, I loved the 1.8T once I drove it.

One more thing, yesterday about the PD 1.9 TDI? What does "PD" stand for, anyone? Thanks. :)
    It definitely seems to be running cheaper than regular grade gas, making me feel even better about my purchase! The only exception to this, and it really boggles my mind, is the Citgo station at Logan Airport. I am working on the Airport end of the Big Dig, and that is the closest station to our office. The diesel there is the same price as the premium 91 octane stuff (1.699!). You never see anybody using the pump, so the fuel must be pretty old too.

In relation to that other question, I am not entirely sure, but I think that PD means Pumpe-Diesel. What that means however, I have no idea. Only that it makes you go faster, and that I want one. :-D
    I know they will more than likely never be able to do a TDI with the power of a 1.8T. But if they can get pretty close (maybe a second behind), then I would definitely bite. I would like saving the money on the diesel fuel due to increased mileage.
    VW already has. THe 150 bhp PD TDI is slightly behind the 1.8T in standstill accleration tests (abour 0.1 to 0.2 seconds slower). But blows the doors off the 1.8T in the 30-50 mph, 50-70 mph, etc...tests.
  • lochlyn_decklochlyn_deck Member Posts: 9
    I thought I remembered a post on this board about a fog lamp/light kit for the Jetta (1999-Current). The post included some pictures of what the unit looked like separate and installed on the Jetta. It also mentioned that it was not recommended for the TDI because of intake cooling(?), but seemed to do okay. Anyone remember this post? If not, anyone have any info on kits specifically for the Jetta? Thanks.
    You can't put the fog lights in the bottom openings if you have the TDI because it will block airflow to the intercooler, and possibly cause engine damage. You do this and mess up the engine, the warranty will not cover it.
    That PD TDI isn't here on our shores yet though. I mean when that engine comes out, I will definitely be in line for purchasing the car. :)
    some over on the TDIclub has done and noted no ill-effects with some blockage of the intercooler.

People in Europe with TDI's and 1.8T's also use that kit as well.

Restricting some flow to the intercooler isn't really going to do too much damage. The real affect is the possibility of making less power.
  • bimmer12bimmer12 Member Posts: 72
    Iw as wondering if anyone could tell me more about the JEtta GLI- 200hp, 6 speed looks pretty nice- Is this a limited production vehicle like the Golf 337 or is this just a new engine choice to compliment the 1.8, 2.0, and TDI? Has anyone bought it and can comment?

Thanks
    the 24v 201 hp VR6 is the replacement for the old VR6, and the GLI is simply a new trimline that showcases it. I know the engine is not limited production, and I am pretty sure the GLI itself is not either. I couldn't afford to purchase one, but I did take it for a drive. It feels a lot faster than the 1.8T, more than the 20 hp advantage would indicate. It was a blast to drive, and the 6 speed was great. The sport seats are also super grippy and dont have the awful lint-grabbing velour if you decide not to go the leather route.
    I would love them to offer the GLI in automatic form, since I can't drive a stick shift. If I want automatic and the new VR6, I would have to go to the GLX model (too expensive and too many toys I don't need).

However, there seems to have been some issues with the throttle for the new engine. It seems very jerky, from what I have read about it. Also, the VR6 uses alot more gas than the 1.8T does as well.