Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• bcoolbcool Member Posts: 59
    I just bought some SCC Z-6 133 cables - $70. The fit is pretty good and I didn't notice any problems in a trial run. Supposedly they require only 1/4 inches of clearance.
  • peterson33peterson33 Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the info on the cables BCool. $70 would be great for the couple of days that I would use them a year.

Where did you get them?
  • raja1raja1 Member Posts: 1
    I had to buy a car urgently..found a 99 SAAB 9-5 V6 with 100,000 miles on it...went ahead and dished out 6300$ and bought it without doing much research...

i read the messages on the forum and im getting concerned abt the expensive repairs i might have to carry out...

could you guys pls advise me on how to take good care of the car...do i buy an extended warranty or something? if so,kindly suggest some company...

thanks

raja
  • ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    i now have 85,000 miles on my 9.5 and for the past few weeks i have been smelling a strong odor to brake fluid or hydraulic fluid but no leaks anywhere.

is this the same type of bad smell that has been associateed with this car ?

i know that the smell problem is typical of some saabs but i never had it.does anyone know or can qualified the type of odor
    I got them off the internet from vulcantire.com. Be careful - the lookup table will match the 135's with the 225-45/17's. They are too big. Get the 133's. According to the table they also fit the alternate Aero tire, the 215-55/16.
  • aerodriveraerodriver Member Posts: 12
    Bcool: Thanks for the tip on tire cables for my Aero! I think I will order a pair and check them out before I invest in Spider Spikes. Btw, how did you learn that the 133's fit properly, and that the 135's are too big? I can't find any additional info on the Vulcan website. (I assume from your prior post that you learned the hard way...?) Thanks.
  • accsellaccsell Member Posts: 5
    blckislandguy................

Thanks for the input regarding my exhaust/gas smell in the cabin area upon idle. I took my 1999 - 144M SE to my local SAAB Dealer and they diagnosed a collapsed intake hose and such. I then checked with 2 other independent repair facilities and it appears that SAAB released a Technical Service Bulletin in 10/2003 for this very problem. The solution is a replacement hose package and apparently replacement of the oil sending unit and drilling a breather hole in the crankcase and installation of a breather tube.

Has anyone had this done to their Baby yet?

Thanks, AccSell.
    Trial and error. I bought the 135's. When I got them I was sort of suspicious because the 225-45/17 tire size was not listed on the tab. The tires on the tab seemed larger. I put them on anyway, and drove around the block. The rubber tensioner had lost all of it's tension and the cables were very loose. So, I ordered the 133's. They fit nicely.
  • aerodriveraerodriver Member Posts: 12
    Bcool: Thanks again. The cables arrived yesterday and I hope to try them out soon. No longer is my Aero stranded below the snow line!
  • nitinnitin Member Posts: 1
    Guys,

I am planning to buy a 2001 saab se from a private seller. Its done 49000 miles and almost completed the warranty. The car is good in condition except that the seller has no service records after mar 2004.
    Whats a good price for this car?

Thank You,
    Nitin
    Somewhere between $14K to 17K. The SE V-6 has a heavier motor and requires a little more brake maintenance than its I-4 sister. It seems that there are more SE V-6's on the market than the I-4's.
  • what_say_you2what_say_you2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at the Saab 9 5 2005. What goes wrong with this car- is it expensive to keep running? Think Lexus would be a smarter buy reliability wise?
    A new SAAB 9-5 has free maintanence for 3 or 4 years and a pretty good warranty. The 9-5 (2.3 liter) also has a very good reliability record. Hard to beat that. I think that you'll find that the SAAB rides better, is more manuverable, sits more comfortably and has some better qualities than a Lexus - brakes, steering, stereo, looks for example.
  • j umbergerj umberger Member Posts: 15
    I think 2001s would be more in the $12k range now. My 2002 with 35k miles on it was only worth $12-15k retail a few months ago - dealer said wholesale was around $9k.
    Hands down if you like the looks of a Lexus, go with that. Saab won't come close in terms of reliability or cost/hassles of repair.

Our 2002 9-5 needed new rotors after 25,000 miles. And the last year we've had it in the shop 16 times. Mostly warranty-covered items breaking, but still a big hassle being at the dealer every 3-4 weeks. And if you encounter any major problems, Saab corporate won't help you out.
  • maniktalamaniktala Member Posts: 3
    I POSTED COUPLE OF MESSAGES ABOUT 1999 SAAB 9-5 WITH 71K ON IT. IT DIED ON ME THE OTHER DAY ON HIGHWAY WHILE DRIVING. DEALERS COULDNT FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM AND THEY SAY EVERYTHING IS ALRITE BUT THERE IS DEFINATELY SOMETHING WRONG. IT STARTS SOMETIMES AND THEN WHEN CAR IS WARMED UP THE ENGINE STOPS EVEN WHILE DRIVING.

IF HERE SOMEONE CAN GUIDE ME AND ADVICE ME OR IF THIS HAPPENED TO SOMEBODY OVER HERE. NOT SURE WHAT TO DO IN THIS SITUATION AS DEALERS COULDNT FIND ANY PROBLEM
  • hungshyhungshy Member Posts: 74
    From my experience, different dealer has different inspect method to find the problem. So please try others that will help you find the answer soon.
    Our 2002 9-5 drove fine for over a year and then the transmission began acting strange. Began cutting out and hesitating while accelerating. Almost rear-ended twice because of it. Dealer "could not replicate problem" after checking it 16 times over a 12 month period. We finally turned in the lease three months early because my wife was afraid to drive the car. We were unable to get anyone from corporate or even a regional rep to get involved. The customer service call center even delined our request to refund one month's base payment since it was in the shop for 45 days for this and other warranty repairs. GOOD LUCK.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    JLumberger, I may not agree with you on the stats on recent SAAB reliability but I sure do agree with you on how they know how to kill a brand. Why put up with the quirks of a SAAB if you aren't going to get some hand holding when you have a problem? Why buy a suit from Brooks if they aren't going to adjust the waist free of charge after 30 days?

Take SAAB resale figures. Unlike a Lexus or the Germans, no one buys a SAAB at MSRP. The factory has artificially high list prices, subvents the leases and deep discounts to move the iron. As a result the resale values are awful. And the brand is cheapened. (I think though that if you compute the resale values from transaction prices, they aren't that bad.)

All of this reduces the brand to a K Mart item. This strategy (fictitous list prices, move the iron at any cost, poor customer service and no incentives for brand loyalty) must be driven by people who care only that they keep their job for one more quarter and to hell with the integrity of the brand.

Speaking of strategy, the buff books have announcements about SAABs new 9-3 touring wagon/sport wagon. The problem is that it is only going to be offerred in 2WD! No one in their right mind is going to buy one with all the great AWD wagons available in this niche. SAAB by sticking to 2WD has simply given up the "winter car" niche they held 30 years ago.

Maybe they just ought to roll up SAAB and merge with Saturn to form just ONE underperforming division?
    good comments - I agree with you

I wasn't aware of the 2WD sport wagon - no niche there...sounds like they reached once again into the GM parts bin and threw something together.

I negotiated the $36k sticker on our 2002 9-5 down to $30k, which I thought was an amazing deal. I was shocked to learn 2 1/2 yrs later that wholesale was $9k. That's well below the average 3 year depreciation on most vehicles. And you're right - steep GM discounts, poor customer service and no regard for the integrity of the brand reduces a once cult brand to K Mart items.
    Meanwhile, my Audi continues to exceed my expectations at every turn and we LOVE our new Land Rover LR3. It's reassuring to know some brands are still building great products and creating loyal customers.
    J Lumberger, SAAB is really in trouble because you're the kind of guy that they should be selling to. Obviously, you are willing to put with some of the hassles with the less than stellar launch of the LR3 and the less than perfect Audi to enjoy driving/owning them. If SAAB can't keep an LR3 owner happy (How many times has yours stalled?)...

While I sympathize with you on your resale value, you didn't tell us how many miles it has, what color and equipment or what NADA retail or Kelly Blue Book is. Say, that the average retail value is 15K before a high mileage, bad color or manual shift deduction. Fifteen thousand is OK because that is a 50% residual over three years. Only certain SUVs do much better. Lets keep in mind, that your 9K wholesale price is only a wholesale price and could be mileage, color and equipment driven.

I think it is important to compare resale with transaction price, not suggested list price. The much touted BMW high resale is in part a function of the yuppies paying full list price for the blue propeller on the hood. I'd rather buy a three year old AERO at a great price.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Sounds bad. DI cassette?
  • jay898jay898 Member Posts: 2
    wipers do not go to park position on my 9.5 what is the problem?
  • aeronautaeronaut Member Posts: 12
    See some pics of my car taken last summer at
    www.cardomain.com/memberpage/807002
  • bookman05bookman05 Member Posts: 6
    any info available on upcoming 2006 saab 9-5? i am most concerned that the new model will include rear curtain airbags and also include stability control. any information would be greatly appreciated.
    I have the same problem with the wipers on my 9-5. I was going to ask the dealer about it next time in.
  • kerberoskerberos Member Posts: 1
    My Saab 9-5 V6 has just eaten its tranny at 91K miles. The dealer wants $4500 to replace it ( $2184 for the tranny the rest for labor). The Saab is the worst car I have owned in 30 years of driving ( maybe the Lada Niva I owned in Africa was worse ), it has very poor build quality and terrible reliability. It is constantly in the shop for some problem a veritable money pit.
    Anyone replaced a tranny at home ? does the subframe have to come out ?
    Sorry about the problem. But what about this for an idea. There are junkyards that specialize in Saab and other foreign cars. Purchase a used but tested tranny with a warranty and then have an idependent guy install it? Sure, it won't be as good as the one you are going to get for $2184 but given your mood you aren't going to own the car much longer.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Or take it to an independent transmission shop or SAAB technician who will do it for much less.
  • mikesaabmikesaab Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem--turned out it was a failed sensor on the camshaft!
  • 99saab95se99saab95se Member Posts: 2
    Maniktala, i just took my 99 saab 95 SE 4cly to the saab dealer yesterday. they told me it was an ignition switch(maybe ignition cassette) and the intercooler hose. I am still waiting to get it back but they told me that would fix the problem. Have they recommended anything else to you?

My Steering wheel trembles slightly when the car is in gear at a stop light. It does not tremble while on and in park. Anyone know what this could be? Thanks!
  • 64221306422130 Member Posts: 47
    I have an 01 9-5SE with 57K that I bought certified a couple of years ago - it is my 4th Saab. Has anyone noticed that the service/customer service levels have been decreasing considerably? I took the car into Walnut Creek and for the first time in 7 years was refused a loaner (new staff) and the problems I entered with were not able to be diagnosed despite the fact that they were fairly obvious (cooling fan noise, noisy shocks, etc). I called Saab to complain about the loaner policy and the staff at the dealer - the operator did not care and kept referring to me as a Saturn owner. Seems like GM has finally taken over...
  • camdencamden Member Posts: 1
    I am about to purchase a 01 9-5SE with 39,000 miles. I am unfamiliar with saabs and was wondering if this a reliable car or should I pass on it?
  • stan18stan18 Member Posts: 8
    Don't know where you guys live, but I'm seeing '02's (lower miles, great shape, non-ugly colored Aeros, at least) selling for close to $20K. There are plenty listed in the local classifieds for > $20K.
    With respect to the steering wheel trembling: If it is only "slightly", then it's life with a 4 banger (especially if you have A/C and many options running while stopped in gear). 4s don't idle as smoothly as a good 6 or 8... An oil change usually smooths things out for a few months (this is how I really judge when to change the oil... when the stop light trembles become too noticeable)... but it's never going to be "buttery smooth" like, say, a Lexus v6.

The '02 Linears where really bad in this respect (something about the 1st year of the 5 spd auto tranny - the Aeros were less impacted as they had different motor mounts). Suppose your tranny could use an oil change if the engine oil change doesn't do the trick.
    Stan18, I'd love to have you explain how tired, old oil contributes to engine vibratation. Maybe the molecule chains are now shortened? The anti-vibration additives are dilluted? The free radicals are in suspension? This proposition reminds me of Andy Granatelli and STP. Its nuts.
  • 99saab95se99saab95se Member Posts: 2
    i was driveing down the freeway. and my Abs, brake and the centeral warning light came on. Does any one know what this means... the brakes did click once in awhile but other then that the brakes worked as normal. The brakes also squeal but no other real problems. Am i looking at a major problem?
    OK, you busted me. I'm not a mechanical or chemical engineer so the following very well may be nonsense.

My assumption was that as the oil gets dirty (more impurities, nothing to do with additives, free radicals or molecular chains), its lubrication properties degrade (If this is not true, why do we bother to change the oil? Big Oil Conspiracy?). More friction adds to the load on the engine and causes more vibration in the drivetrain... just like turning on the AC and all your accessories can make a 4 cyl idle more "bumpy" - or do you dispute this, too? Why does putting the tranny in N or P decrease the vibration? Less load (my assumption - same reasoning is behind to the recommendation to have the tranny serviced).

There is a "fix" that Saab dealers will perform when people complain about the idle shudder: increase the idle RPM a bit. Explain that please (my assumption was that a slight increase in RPM better handles the load on the engine while idling in gear).

Please show me the errors in my logic.
  • aeronautaeronaut Member Posts: 12
    Picture of the next all new 9-5. Slated for 2008, will have V-6 and AWD. Source Automotorsport. Pic at www.cardomain.com/memberpage/807002
  • sunwaptasunwapta Member Posts: 5
    I agree with aerodriver. I had more problems with my Toyota 4Runner than I ever had with either of my Saab 9000s. And far less severe problems than our 2002 Honda Odyssey or our Mazda Millenia S.

I sold my '86 Saab turbo with nearly 350,000 km - all original drivetrain, turbo, transmission etc. except the clutch. My '95 Aero has had a couple minor problems and one electronic module failure but that is all. (However finally now at age ten its had to have costly new clutch and exhaust system installed.)

Basically, it's been a fantastic car. I thought we'd trade it off for something but instead we traded off our Honda Odyssey and will keep the Saab for a few more years.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    RIP Saab. GM has finally removed the feeding tube.
    I don't know. What I saw looked sharp, contemporary, maybe too BMWish with the Bangleized rear and with the huge wheels but definetly what AERO should have been about since 2000. The AWD drivetrain is a step in the 21st century. The car should draw in people upset with the Audi lack of reliability and those concerned about the "hey, look at me" connotation of driving a BMW.
  • duhey2duhey2 Member Posts: 6
    I saw a blurb or two about this under news for GM today (which has since been buried under news of earnings warnings and the like). The NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation is starting a preliminary investigation into DI cassette failure. Below is word from the ODI website (sorry for the caps):

ODI HAS RECEIVED 35 REPORTS OF ALLEGED ENGINE STALLING DUE TO THE FAILURE OF THE IGNITION DISCHARGE MODULE (IDM) "CASSETTE" ON THE SUBJECT VEHICLES. TWELVE (12) COMPLAINTS WERE RECEIVED ON MODEL YEAR (MY) 2000-2002 SAAB 9-3 VEHICLES AND 23 ON MY 1999-2002 9-5 VEHICLES. ALL COMPLAINANTS REPORTED THAT THE ENGINE SHUT DOWN SUDDENLY WITHOUT WARNING AND MOST REPORTED THAT THE VEHICLE WOULD NOT RESTART. IN THREE (3) INCIDENTS, THE COMPLAINANTS REPORTED SMOKE AND/OR FLAMES RESULTED FROM THE IDM MODULE FAILURE. THE MAJORITY OF THE INCIDENTS REPORTEDLY OCCURRED BETWEEN 40 TO 75 MPH. AT LEAST FIVE (5) COMPLAINANTS REPORTED DAMAGE TO THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER FROM RAW FUEL BEING PUMPED THROUGH THE ENGINE. IN ADDITION, TWO (2) COMPLAINANTS, SHOWN IN "OTHER" IN THE FAILURE REPORT SUMMARY ABOVE, ATTRIBUTED NON-STALL DRIVABILITY PROBLEMS TO THE DAMAGED IDM. A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN OPENED TO ASSESS THE SCOPE, FREQUENCY, AND POTENTIAL SAFETY-RELATED CONSEQUENCES OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT.
  • saaboysaaboy Member Posts: 23
    Wow! That looks really nice. But the back looks kinda like a Vectra? I hope the inside isn't all GM. And is that V6 gonna be turbo? So many things that they can screw up...
  • saaboysaaboy Member Posts: 23
    actually I'd like to take back my last comment. Even though I like the headligts and wedge shape, it doesn't have: traditional 9-5 hood shape, no bumper/style line thing going acroos side of car, and it doesn't have the side blinkers.
  • rwouellrwouell Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my first saab. 01 9-5 base auto with premium package. off lease 50000 miles paid 13K for it. Is this a decent price? Also do the headlights come on automatically if left in the daytime running light position? Thanks for any input.
    geez blckislandguy, I go out of town for a few weeks and you turn into a wise guy!

Actually, you are exactly right, which is why I'm so frustrated. We are Saab's exact target market. We want a solid and safe car, unique styling, thoughtful engineering and a vehicle that's nice to look at. We will put up with less-than-Lexus reliability and quality, but when the company does not stand behind their product and does not respond to customer safety concerns, that's when I become frustrated. I was glad to see some press on the stalling/transmission issue finally. There is a problem out there.

Not sure where you're seeing all the Audi reliability problems - they seem to be rating close to saab everywhere I look. And everyone I know who has one loves it. Then again, their customer service is top notch, so some problems may be easily forgotten.

re: resale, my Saab 9-5 was black/tan with 30,000 miles on it. Perfect condition. I thought I mentioned I paid $30k, not the sticker, which was $36k. $15k would have been fine, but $9-$12k is lousy.
    I'm in Southern CA

Retail and private listings may be higher - I see them in the high teens, but that's about it.

The $9k was a wholesaler quote through the dealer. That's what wholesalers are willing to pay for the car from a dealer, meaning trading a Saab is not an option.
  • rwouellrwouell Member Posts: 2
    After reading through all the posts I'm a little concerned about reliability after 60K miles. I bought a used 01 9-5 base with 50K miles and plan to use the car to commute anywhere from 100 to 250 miles a day. Should I be worried about reliabitily after the 60K miles? Any input would be appreciated.
    I understand the difference between wholesale and retail, and why you cannot expect to trade a car for the same price as you see listed in the classifieds. However, there is typically a relationship between the two numbers, and I doubt if the retail markup is >50% (my logic: I see listings for cars in lower 20s retail (mostly posted by local dealers), probably selling for near 20 (give or take)... so guessing if a dealer is willing to sell near 20, then wholesale is near 15... but this is all speculation... I'm in sales, but not car sales).

I guess Saabs are cheaper in So CA... not too much of a surprise since front-wheel drive is probably seen as a disadvantage in this market segment since it never snows and rarely rains. Since I live "up north" (Chicago with frequent trips to Wisconsin and Michigan), I'd rather not have a rear wheel drive car.