Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Off Roading/Trail Reports

1235»

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Grab some of these and list em on http://isuzu-suvs.com

-mike

• hopkinsb4hopkinsb4 Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone! Do you have any model year suggestions for a cheap off-road trooper to be used for play purposes only. Are there any big things to look out for when purchasing a used trooper?

Thanks,
    Brian
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    What did those of you that went to Paragon Adventure Park think of it? Was it worth the drive/money? I am considering it since I am bored with the Pine Barrens and have been looking forward to going offroad soon.
    But be prepared to get damaged even on the "easy" trails. It's all rocks.

I'm thinking of planning a Pine Barrens Run sometime in June or July, would you be up for it?

-mike
    Thanks for the info. Not sure if that sounds worth it. Rocks would be intersting since I really have little experience with them, but it also seems like that kind of terrain would be harder on the truck even apart from visible damage.

Yes, depending on the date, the summer gets very busy with trips and picnic's, etc. A friend of mine just upgraded from a Montero to a Trooper and he is interested in hitting the trail too. The pine barrens is kind of vanilla, and I am gun shy of the water.

I am "jones'in" for some offroading. What other options are there in the tri-state region? I like the idea of having a destination, not just cruising around trails.
    Well then start planning for oct Uwharrie.

It's a haul, but well worth it. It's an experience. Camping, and difficult yet easy on your truck trails.

Other than PB and Paragon not much else in the tristate I know of.

-mike
  • emiuraemiura Member Posts: 59
    Came back from my annual Moab 'ZuZoo trip on Sunday. Been running with stock size tires for last 3 years, but I've finally upgraded to 265/75R16 this time, and that made it much easier to run trails. I've uploaded some pictures to Webshots:

http://community.webshots.com/user/emiura
    www.offroaders.com seem to find a lot of places in PA to go. Not sure if all the trails are legal? When I am up in the middle of the state you often see dirt roads that run up a mountain under powerlines...just too chicken to make the turn and head up them without knowing where I am and laws regarding.

PB would be OK. I am going to look for some forest information to see if I can find anything else too.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I did some rough rock mountain trails, the Borreggo Springs to Anza trail in particular. This starts out in the desert a hour and a half East of San Diego. It is hot and dry for growing California Dates down there. Anza is the top of the local mountain, it was snowing in Anza with heat ripples in the sunny air visible down below in Borrego once when I went. The trail starts in loose sand and cactus then gets weedy and goes through the tiny creek a while. I stopped there the first time (with only 1200 miles on my 1984 Trooper I got my first rocker panel dent) to see if I was still on the trail. I was, so I continued. The road gets steeper and turns to bare rock with big cracks that could tip you over. If tipped over it could easily mean a long bouncing fall down the mountain. This rocky part would benefit greatly from locking diffs. Anyway it is a fun 4 or 5 hours to go those 20 miles or so.
    I did some tire damage there too, I pulled back a flap of tread big enough to put my hand into, but it laid flat and I did not notice it till much later. The tire held air just fine, maybe because the original 1984 Trooper tires came with inner tubes.
    I will be in CT for a few days next month and was wondering if there were any good offroading locations? Anyone have any leads?
This discussion has been closed.