Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

TRUCK STOP: pickups discussion

pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
Here, anything goes... as long as it's related to pickups, and it's within the guidelines of our participants agreement, then you don't have to worry about going "off topic." ;-)

- Have a question/comment to make about pickup trucks, but don't know where to put it, then post it here.

- Going off topic in one of our other discussions, but would like to continue your discussion..., continue it in this discussion...

-Got a interesting truck story you'd like to tell, post it here.

Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas
Host
Pickups Message Board
Tagged:

Comments

• pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    What was your primary reason for buying a pickup truck? And, what is it about driving a pickup truck that you like/dislike the most?

Btw, prior to my current vehicle, I drove a 6 cyl kingcab for 5 years. In addition to the style, my main motive for buying a pickup was to have enough storage space to transport all my equipment. So for me it was a life style... necessity.

I think if I ever do buy another pickup, it will most likely be a full size/4 door crew cab. Let's hope the gas prices go down before then. ;-)

Who's next?

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Pocahontas just curious whats your current vehicle

Ok back in 1998 sitting in my english class i was board and started thinking (yes i actually thought about something) buying my first vehicle. That night i went online to motor trend dot com. This is the first time i seen it. Spy pics of the new silverado. I was in awe. I went to the local chevy dealership and got a brochure started reading and doing "research" i guess you can call it. About a week later i got a job. I told myself i am going to save up as much as i can so i could buy a truck. I worked and worked and worked. My first year i was putting in 50-60 hrs a week until school started then i went to like 20. I had 2 weekends off that summer. The next summer i got an internship at a local company. I worked 40 hours a wk here and 40 at my other job all summer. School started again and i went down to about 30 hrs a wk total between the 2. Then this past spring i had the majority (i was like 3K short) of buying my truck. Talked it over with the folks and my dad went along with it. I ordered it and in april it came in. This past summer i worked full time at my internship and like 20 hrs a wk at my other job. I am still at both working about 30-35 hrs a wk. My only expenses are gas and insurance and all the darn accessories i keep thinking of to buy (i really need to stop buying them soon)

Well why i bought my truck

First was looks i have to be honest i guess you can say "love at first sight"

Second functionality. A bigger truck is very versitile. It can and has hauled 5 people. It has done everything in the past 8 months i have needed it for. In the future it will do even more (tow a boat thats next on the toys list).

I got something i really wanted and liked. I worked hard for it so i guess you can call it a present to myself

Ok sorry for the long post

Ryan
    Btw, I had a chance to sit in a Silverado, among other trucks, at the recent 2000 Central Florida auto show. Nice truck; this one was loaded with every conceivable option, including leather... extremely roomy and comfortable.

To answer your question: my main vehicle is a van. The exact make/model is in my Edmunds' profile. Click on my name, or any participants name, to read the information in their profile. Okay?

Talk later. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board
  • cspauldingcspaulding Member Posts: 159
    I have a 2000 Chevy Crew Cab K2500 with a 454. Looking for anyone who has a newer 454 with problems. We have a lifter that is clicking (zone manager is telling us this is normal; we don't think so), also poor power (373 gears, can't even turn the tires on dry pavement). Have had/driven other 454s and never had one with problems like this. Truck has 14,000 miles on it, had it ordered in as a "dream truck", which should have the balls to do/go through some major stuff, but this one got stuck on a sandy fire lane about a month after we got it.

Also having problems with posi (differential), 4-wheel drive lever (on the floor, won't shift-locks up), & interior. Chevy won't do anything for any of the problems...zone manager says the 4wd locks in on 4th or 5th try generally, so there is nothing they can/will do. Motor they have basically told us has to blow up before they will fix it.

After having been a Chevy lover for years (we also have an '84 K25 (in the process of putting a racing motor into that one) and a '92 K1500 (which, with a 305, suped up, and 125K miles, has more balls than the 454), I'm really discouraged in recommending a Chevy to anyone right now...attitude after the sale stinks. Anyway, if anyone out there has problems/solutions, please write.

Thanks,
    chris
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Try going to another dealer. Some are bad - others will bend over backwards. The place you bought it may not be the best place to get service.

Good luck -
    I second z71bill's suggestion. Dealer services do differ from one to another....

Also, here's direct link to our Chevy Silverado problems discussion where you should also post (copy/paste) your question.

Try using the Board Search, on the upper left side of the page, to find other topics of interest throughout Town Hall. Good luck. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Edmunds.com Host
    Pickups Message Board
  • 87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    Utility - I can haul pretty much anything I need to, including 6 people, with my extended cab silverado. My previous 2 vehicles were also pickups: an '82 F-150 and a '92 Dakota club cab. I moved back to a full sized extended cab because the kids will need more room as they grow. Also, I could get the long bed. There were quite a few times I wished the Dakota had had an *' bed.

Style - I just like the way pickups look.

Mileage - Yes, mileage. My F-150 only got 16-17 mpg highway. My Silverado gets about 21 mpg highway which is as good as my wife's Grand Caravan or my Old Dakota.

Safety - I'm convinced big iron protects you better. My wife and two kids survived without a scratch when a Bronco crossed the center line and totalled my Dakota. Passenger compartment was completely intact. In a compact car I'm sure they would have suffered serious injury. Also, you have better visibility sitting higher up.

Parking is the biggest downside. At 20'+ it'a difficult job at times.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    You THINK they are safe, and then you see one with the roof crushed flat after rolling across the median. Or you see one spin uncontrollably on sheer ice. Glad I made it through the ice storm without incident. Love my truck, but glad I was in the car. No abs, no air bag, but it stayed on the road. Saw HUNDREDS of vehicles, stuck, overturned, abandoned. 90% were pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles. Security is often an illusion.
    I obviously can't be certain but I would bet most of the trucks and SUVs you saw out of action were due to the drivers either being unaware of or ignoring the limitations of their vehicles.
  • cspauldingcspaulding Member Posts: 159
    Thanks for the advice on going to another dealer...we already have, also had a Zone Manager down to look at it. We've been told a variety of things...i.e., it's our imagination, the truck has a radical roller cam (that's what they told me-I'm a woman- but I didn't buy into that one; then they told my husband that it is the valves, but it's normal), one tire wore down & the truck's supposed to have locking diff. - they told me I'm making too many right hand turns! Oh yeah, Chevy service, at least here in Wisconsin, stinks!
    Be sure to document all your problems and visits to the dealer. If your problem is not acceptable to you, you should check with your state attorney general, and/or consumer affairs division, to see what your options are. You can most likely find them online... via any number of search engines (i.e. yahoo).

Also, here are some other Town Hall discussions that you might find helpful: Lemon Law!!! and Vibrating Chevy Silverado Buyback Good luck and keep us posted. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    If you need more info on a buyback, go to this site for a step by step walk through from beginning to end on a buyback. In this case, it was a '00 Sierra.

http://agmlemon.freeservers.com/

Good luck!!
  • jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 1
    We're a small machine shop. Haul 500 - 1000 lbs in our current pickup (light duty chevy, 120,000 miles). Need to look at a newer vehicle and would like advice on Chevy, Ford, Dodge.All city driving, high gas prices, need automatic.

A new/used 2000 model is ok. Should I look at diesel? No 4-wheeler. Your advice please.

Thanks.
  • amoraamora Member Posts: 204
    If you are happy with Chevrolet truck, then buy new Reg Cab C1500 long bed with 200 HP 4.3L V6.
    See road tests and feedback from other owners re Dodge and Ford. They offer comparable
    trucks.

Good luck
    Are you looking for a compact or full size pickup? Here are a couple of discussions that you might find helpful:

-Compact Pickups: Frontier, Ranger, Tacoma, S10, Dakota, B-Series, & Hombre.
    - Silverado vs F-150 vs Ram vs Tundra

In addition, you should copy/paste your post into these discussions:
    Which truck to buy? AND Looking for a good used truck.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board
  • justtheonejusttheone Member Posts: 403
    That 52 been on that farm from the start. It worked at first haulin a tabacco train too that warehouse for many a year. Got us a tank on it now, usin it for sprayin and such. Its been gone trough end too end many a time, but it keeps workin hard now. Got us some older ones still, from past generations that worked that farm too. Them ones is all parked now, but we still got em all. They be various big3 ones, thinkin that oldest be a 29 model now, but aint sure on it. Good luck on this one now!
  • greg116greg116 Member Posts: 116
    I'm going to be in the market for a new truck soon. I started out lusting after the Dakota, then fell for the S-10 because of it's 4-wheel discs, sportside box and 3rd door. Now I hear their interior trim stinks and the platform is outdated. So now i'm open for ideas.

I'm thinking about a Tacoma, but hear they're somewhat gutless and I don't want a supercharger.

So heres the deal: I'm an 18-year-old Canadian guy about to start making 50-60K a year(you can laugh all you want, but its true), so money isnt much of an issue. I like skiing, and usually take 1 or 2 people with me when I do it. I like 4x4s, although a limited-slip 2wd MIGHT be acceptable. I will always go for the top powertrain available in a model, and I dislike drum brakes, dealerships and buying used most of all. I want something that will LAST FOREVER, has plenty of punch and enough room to accomodate someone who only feels comfortable behind the wheel of something as or bigger than a Durango.

I'm considering fullsize (Sierra, Ram) or even SUV (Tahoe, Durango), but I want to exhaust everything here first, and I'll never buy Ford. Why? One word: Explorer. 'nuff said.
    Get a Landcruiser or LEXUS equiv...may last forever...
    Have you looked into the new 4 door S-10? Only downside is a very small bed.

Tacoma now has a 4 door also.

Ryan
    Here are a couple ongoing discussions, from this message board, that you may find helpful: Silverado vs F-150 vs Ram vs Tundra. (part II) and Which truck to buy? Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your message.

Also, if you're considering a Sierra or Ram, you should check out Edmund's True Market Value: Deals of the week. Both of those trucks are featured there.

Good luck. And please return to let us know your decision. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Edmunds.com Host
    Pickups Message Board
  • timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    When I moved to Texas after an overseas assignment in Sri Lanka (very lucrative, especially since I met and married my wife in the Philippines while on that tour), we had to buy everything. Our first purchase was a one-owner (actually one-leasee) 1995 Civic which served us very well. However, my wife (who had begun salivating over Eddie Bauer Ford Expeditions despite my protestations that it would be a cold day in Texas before I paid over $40,000 for a externally-oversized and internally-space-limited, gas-guzzling, expensive maintenance status mobile) started thinking that I would be safer on my daily 15 mile commute through the wilds of the Dallas/Fort Worth area in a larger hunk of metal. This was when I first noticed that some pickup trucks were pretty darmed snazzy. Having lusted after an Odyssey for some time which had acclimated me to these Edmund's forums, I went searching herein for any flames on my two top choices (based primarilly on appearance attraction). I found that the Toyota Tundra would cost me significantly more than the Ford F-150 and that there was no apparent reliability advantage for that money. In fact even in the versus topics, few flames were flung at the F-150s (if even the opposition has nothing bad to say...). A bit more internet research, a flurry of e-mails, some leg work and a bargaining wife netted us an excellent deal this last August on a left over brand new 1999 custom F-150 XLT Supercab with which we have remained very pleased. Well, my wife is not as pleased as I am. Since she has neither her long-desired Expedition nor an Odyssey to comfort her, she sometimes accuses me of loving the truck more than I do her. I just don't understand; parking further out in the lot not only helps protect that gorgeous Toreador Red paint from the nicks, scatches and dings of outrageous fortune but also provides a great opportunity for a little excersize. Somehow, since she is 7 months pregnant and is supposed to be walking more, I thought she would apprecitate the elegance of achieving these two positive results. Instead, I get yelled at. Go figure. Must be those pregnancy hormones or some other mysterious female thing, I guess?.... (Just kidding, Honey! ;-) ;-) ;-))

pocahontas: re your wish, "Let's hope the gas prices go down before then. ;-)" Your smiley thingy indicates that you suspect the truth; while the prices have sometimes jumped dramatically for shortage scare reasons, the norm remains that prices are continuously and inexorably increasing. I can remember 19 cent a gallon gas. I do not remember a single significant price decrease in 30 years of buying gas. Sigh. I guess we can still hope....
    To the participant that posted that message. although your information was valuable, our Town Hall Participant's Agreement forbids the use of any profanity in our discussions.

Edmund's Town Hall guidelines are geared towards making this a family oriented website suitable for people of all ages..., including small children.

Unfortunately, because we (hosts) are not allowed to edit participant messages, if there's one word in the post that's a problem, we have no other option but to delete the entire message... losing the important information as well.

Please feel free to re-post your message, omitting the profane language. Thanks for your participation.

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board
    Thanks for your input. I agree some of pickups out there are "pretty darn snazzy." Speaking of which, have you seen the new Lincoln Blackwood?

Btw, in the last few days, I've seen gas in my area is down to as low 125.9 per gallon. This was at the local Cosco. So perhaps there's still hope...

Talk to you later. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board
  • timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    Yeah, I admit that our area is down from the panic high of around $1.50 a gallon to around $1.25 now. I just don't consider that a price decrease when we started out a year or so back at under a dollar a gallon. To me, though the prices peaked and then backed off, the net affect of this recent "crisis" is a substantial increase in the price of gas. It's a matter of my failure to buy the concept that it was ever worth the $1.50 in the first place.

Of course, I still remember the house my parents bought for $30,000 in Sioux City, IA in the late sixties and so think of that as the price range for a house instead of for a vehicle (notwithstanding what I actually paid for my house or for my latest vehicle). I guess that makes me a bona fide old fogey and/or curmudgeon now.... ;-)
    Most i paid in gas all yr was $2.02 a gallon. Truck took $48 worth of gas that fillup.

Now its around $1.31-$1.35 thats a good range i can live with it as long as it stays under $1.50

Ryan
    87 $1.89
    89 $1.99
    92 $2.09

So with the HPIII unit running premium....$50 a tankful for the 'rado and $65 for the Denali...
    Landcruiser is a bit much for me. Im not into bigtime luxo yet, but its an idea

I've heard about the S-10 crewcab and the truth is, i'd never buy one. the bed is WAY too small and the backseat outclassed. I like the Tacoma Double Cab a lot, but again, theyre a little underpowered, but then again some engine mods would help.
    greg116, if you like this truck a lot and are concerned with
    power, get dealer installed supercharger...
    In deciding what to buy, you should also compare insurance costs.... especially if you're under 25. Not to be discouraging, but insurance rates on suvs and trucks can be quite high.

Good luck. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board
    Poco insurance rates for pickups are going down at least mine is. I am only 21 too. I pay about $600 every 6 months

Greg i hear you about that bed they might as well not even put one there

NEW pics of my truck with new tires

http://www.picturetrail.com/ryanbab

Ryan
    Makes a difference if you're under Mommy and Daddy's plan or on your own...
  • ghentonghenton Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in a new pickup truck for some solid off-roading fun and adventure, but I want a real off-truck. I would actually like to stay in the small or medium truck segment versus the full-size pickup segment. Who makes a real off-road vehicle? I don't want something with a "pretty" interior because I expect it'll get real muddy the first couple times out in the mud bogs. I really like the Chevy S10 and its sister truck, GMC's Sonoma, with the "highrider" option. Looks cool and works well, but the interior appointments that are standard with it are much too nice for the kind of abuse I plan on putting it through - this will be my weekend warrior truck!

Gregg
    Dean it is in my name

Not under mommy and daddy
    ghenton,

Check out some of the off-road/four wheeler magazines,
    they feature many new, used off road trucks IN OFF ROAD
    conditions with comments/articles....then check into a
    club

Good luck
    really, making enough money and i already have an idea of cost

how much power does the supercharged motor make? hp and torque?
    Generally speaking...looking at increase of 100 hp
    So I can get a Tacoma with 290-300 hp? Kick-[non-permissible content removed]! Does It apply to the 4Runner too? how does it affect mileage? How about rear-brake conversions? I HATE drums.
    Generally speaking of course. On the 4runner I think its 265hp up from 190. That's the TRD version.
    Well thats still pretty nice... And I do like the looks of the 4runner and Taco DC.. it warrants a closer look. I was also looking at the new Chevy TrailBlazers and theyre gonna be a hit.
  • rm13rm13 Member Posts: 46
    Which one is the truck? Which is the car?

http://news.excite.com/news/ap/010108/08/auto-show-awards
    You'll find them both in Edmund's New Truck Guide. However, in the article/link above, it seems like they're referring to the PT Cruiser as a car; and the Mdx as a truck. Was I suppose to answer that? Or were you just asking a rhetorical question? ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board
  • rich32rich32 Member Posts: 9
    After agonizing for weeks over the pros and cons of getting a drop-in or spray-in liner, I'm now thinking that a Bedrug liner might better suit my generally light duty uses (camping, hauling a dog, trips to Home Depot...). I'm still a bit concerned about durability though and wonder if the Bedrug would be prone to tearing or other problems. Will it hold up to hauling firewood, lumber, rocks? If I'm hauling sand or gravel I would plan on removing the liner or putting in plywood so I could use a shovel.

Also, where have you found the best deals on the Bedrug. I plan to install it myself.
    While you're waiting for a response here, you may also want to try asking (copy/paste) your question in our active Pickup Bed Liners discussion. Good luck. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    Well, actually my parents suggested it when shopping for my graduation present. It hadn't even occurred to me to get a truck, but I think they had it in mind that they'd be able to commandeer it for use around the house, which they have, and they also didnt want me to be one of these teenagers flyin down the highway with 6-7 people crammed into a sedan. So they got me my '95 Ranger regular cab, which I never thought I'd use for serious hauning, but it's hauled cinder blocks and plywood from Home Deopot, lawn furniture, trash for those late night dump runs, every possession I own between the home and the dorms, leaves, exercise equipment such as treadmills on delivers for work, and loads of various other sizes. And it has also served as a faithful daily commuter, starting up without fail every time I've turned the key right up to its present 65,000 miles with no squeaks and rattles and netting 20-25 miles per gallon depending on whether I was able to keep that right foot under a tight leash and stay below 85. I also love the cheap maintenance costs... this Saturday I'm paying the dealer 282 ddollars including labor for a timing belt AND a serpentine belt. Until further notice(read as until I get a lemon) I am a ford fanatic, and my next truck, probably about 2 years away, will be an extended cab F150(if the optimists on this board are correct about gas prices) or an extended cab V6 4x4 Ranger(if the pessimists prove correct.)

Somehow, soemwhere along the way, and I couldn't tell you exactly where this happened, I became a 'truck guy', going accessory wild with things like stone deflectors, vent visors, and bed covers. I could no longer see myself driving anything I'd have to bend over or squat down to get into. And I wil always want to be able to drive something sturdy that I know will take punishment. It's funny, but the other night me and some friends were going clubbing in D.C. and a friend of mine with a Civic Si riding low on 17's had to drive someone else's car because he feared suspension damage on teh bad roads in the city. It certainly is nice te be able to know I can inadvertantly fly over the occassional pot hole and not have to worry about a thrown off alignment, bent rim, etc... Sorry about the long post, but in short, I love trucks.
    ed
    HOME DEPOT ???????

(shaking my head)

Guess ill be unemployed soon

:(

Ryan
    and thanks for your story. Glad to hear that your truck has served you well.... ;-)

To Ryan- What's the problem with Home Depot...? Just curious.

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board
    Eagle Hardware was a lot bigger than Menard's and they no longer exist. So how long will Menard's be there.....no one really knows but everyone I know don't like Lowe's and prefer the 24 hour Home Depot.....
    Im not worried menards isnt going down. 2 new stores are opening up within the month. Many more to come. They are close to 150 stores and not slowing.

We dont have any lowes in our area but we will soon.

Home depot in indiana isnt open 24 hrs. One in chicago is but not around here.

Ryan
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    I feel bad man... I'd hate to think my frequenting Home Depot would be the cause of you loosing the primary source of funds for all those toys on for the 'rado...;)

ed
This discussion has been closed.