Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• asethiasethi Member Posts: 76
    >..... at 120mph+ on the highway when the road starts turning..

!!!!!!
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    Near your neighborhood, on 287 :-)
    Don't try this at home boys & girls..

I 've hit 140-141mph on 287 (w/speedometer error probably 135-6) and the tach was still around 7100rpm, another 1,000 to go! :) But I can never hit redline in 5th unless I had an S/C or turbo.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
  • shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    One day, I was cruise at 70mph (with cruise control on) with my Prelude while I saw a speed monitor that tell you how fast you are going, it shows 63. Does that means the tach. on prelude is off by 10%? If that is the case, when the needle tell you that you are going 145, you are really only going like 131mph. Has anyone notice this kind of problem or it is the speed monitor?

I have yet got a speeding ticket with my lude, so I am not sure, anyone?
    only1harry:

Good thing I've moved to MA now! :-)

shmang:

If you have a G5, it's probably not that old to have such problems. Those speed monitors are not that accurate and it usually takes them a while to calculate speed. I'm guessing you were speeding, cause those monitors are usually at 20-30 miles speed zones. If that's the case then it probably didn't get enough time to calculate your speed.

Looks like everybody here is speeding ;-) Take it easy guys, don't speed on city roads, what are the ramps for. ;-)
    I have a 99 base 5spd. when I went through the monitor, the speed limit is 55mph. (It is at the border of NY state and MA that tell every one to slow down b/c the speed limit in MA before you goes into NY state is 65. So, first off, I was not speeding(70 in a 65 zone is not speeding right?) Second, IMO, the speedo is a little bit off on the Lude and the reading on the monitor is also a bit off, and that might be the reason for such big a different(63 vs 70). Anyway, I normally drive 5mph faster than speed limit if the speed limit is 40 or below and 10mph faster otherwise, unless it is a straight highway with few cars around, I will open it up a little bit, but this is rarely done since Dec. 98 when I got 99 my Lude.
  • trish17trish17 Member Posts: 3
    I just got an automatic 01 prelude at 22899 all by email. Edmunds showed 22930 as TMV so I had no problem paying 30 less.
    That is a great deal for a SS prelude, IMO. Congratulations.

What color is your Lude, is it the silver? Please don't tell me it is blue.... Just kidding!
  • trish17trish17 Member Posts: 3
    Yep it's silver.
    I am jealous, man! At the time I bought mine(99), silver is not available. I should wait for a year or so to get the silver. Instead, I got the white, which is the closest to silver...
    Ok, here it goes. I 've been pulled over several times in my Civic and GSR. I also know exactly what the tachometer error is on the GSR. Prelude shouldn't be too far off since they 're all Hondas.
    Most of the time I get pulled over (don't have a laser detector yet, my radar is useless in NY but works wonders in NJ). The cops always clock me at 2 to 3mph less than what my speedometer shows, the same with my '97 Civic. I 'm usually going 80 and cops pull me over for doing 77 or 78. It's always these 2 numbers. Luckily I get out of most of these..
    Now I guess that at 140mph the speedometer error is a little greater than at 80mph...??
    Ok, speedo: When I had my car dynoed earlier this year, you can watch the tach and the RPMs on the computer monitor and of course you get the printouts at the end (I got the actual files of my dyno as well). Everytime the REV limiter kicked in the PC application/monitor showed that my engine speed was just about 8100rpm. The tach inside the car always showed between 8300-8400. So yes, the tach is off as well. In case of the GSR and all GSRs for that fact, the difference is always at least 250 RPM!
    Prelude should be the same because my friend's REV limiter in his SH always kicks in just shy of 8K RPM instead of 7600-7000. I think they design them this way so we shift when the tach needle reaches redline, when in fact we can shift another 300rpm later or when rev. limiter engages. Maybe they figure this might prolong engine life? don't know, your guess is as good as mine, but I guarantee you these small innacuracies in RPM & Speed are intentional.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • cota99cota99 Member Posts: 28
    If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay in total for your Prelude? Thanks in advance.
  • nathe0nathe0 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a new Prelude. Based on my experience with understeer in hard corners with smaller Hondas, it seems to me the SH with ATTS would be a nice feature. I've visited dealers and they've told me that the SH isn't available for 2001, and they don't seem to know what the ATTS is. Is it true that the SH is no longer available, or is my dealer in just not well connected?
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    although they should know what the SH feature is. They probably just don't want to tell since they can't sell it to you.
    >..and they don't seem to know what the ATTS is.
    I would wonder what else those dealers do not now about the car???

I'm pretty sure (110%) that 2001 SH EXISTS! I'd suggest you try other dealerships in your area. Internet would also be a good option - at least you'll find out if the car is available anywhere else or not? The dealers would of course lie to you if they have a base prelude sitting in their lot (or a buddy dealer's lot) that they want to sell before the year is over. Go Internet!
  • 5gen_prelude5gen_prelude Member Posts: 11
    Canadiancl is correct - no SH for Canada, however it still exists for the states.
  • hgileshgiles Member Posts: 66
    go to www.honda2001.com or go to a better dealership for details
  • edblakeleyedblakeley Member Posts: 6
    Hi Gang,

I currently drive a 95 Integra RS (base) and it has given me 100,000 trouble free miles. However, I would like to move up to something with a little more refinement and torque - specifically, I dislike all of the engine, wind and road noise that comes with the ride of the Integra.

Can anyone give me an idea if the prelude would be a good choice to address my tastes? I am hoping that I could get a good deal on a new one after the new Integra hits the Acura showrooms.

Thanks!
    Ed.
    Ed, my sincere suggestion is that you go test drive the prelude yourself and find out if it's got what you're looking for. In my opinion you'd be pleased. One more thing, though - if you wait too long, you may not find one ...
  • blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    The Prelude is much faster than the RS, so if you're looking for a performance upgrade, I think you'll be very pleased. On the other hand, while the Prelude is more refined than the Integra, it's not a Lexus. There's still a substantial amount of engine noise, especially at high revs.

I'd second asethi's suggestion to take a test drive to see if the Prelude is what you're looking for, as well as his recommendation that you do it soon. I bought my 2001 Prelude in October, and dealers were already making good deals, because the model is a slow seller. But because it's a slow seller, the total number manufactured is small, and they're likely to sell out by the end of the model year.
  • car_fevercar_fever Member Posts: 9
    Wind/Engine/Road noise are unavoidable in the Prelude... It's a typical Honda cars' problem, and i'm kind of annoyed by those things... but other than that, Prelude is a great car: good looking (outside and inside), great handling... etc... like asethi says, go ahead and have a test drive! but i'm pretty sure prelude is better than the current integra... :)
  • racerzrx7racerzrx7 Member Posts: 11
    It sounds like you need a more comfortable car than the Prelude because Integra and Prelude have pretty much same Wind/Engine/Road noise. As a high performance car, because of their high rev, low profile tires and gas suspension, it will suffer the comfort. Anyway, go and have a test drive to get your own feeling. A Honda Accord V6 coupe would be a great replacement for your Integra, lots of torque, more comfort with a reasonable price.

I own the Prelude 2001 and love it's excellent handling (doesn't mean comfort), high rev and sporty look and feel. High rev means noise, but that's the way it should be :I).
  • sidmansidman Member Posts: 10
    I have been sold on Honda for years and currently have '98 Civic Ex coupe with a lease ending soon. I had been set on the 5 spd Prelude '01 but recently was pointed to the '01 WV GTI glx as a comparable rival loaded with a lot more features with the same sticker price(my only complaint with the Prelude has been that the interior is rather sparse and reminds me of the last two civics I have had. I would appreciate some guidance.
    sidman
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    VW's are more problematic than Hondas. Besides I think the Prelude looks alot sportier. One potential downside is the Prelude may be extinct within the next couple of years.
    Thanks for the advice.. I actually would simply love to buy an Accord Coupe, but I am deathly allergic to automatic transmissions. And those TipTronic things are pathetic.

Unfortunately it seems that Honda/Acura isn't all that interested in manual transmission dinosaurs like me... only their 4 cyl cars have that option.

I figured that a Prelude was the closest thing to a manual V6 sports coupe in the lineup of all Toyota and Honda/Acura cars at the $20,000 range (except the Solara, which I don't like the looks of). Since Toyota/Honda are the only two manufacturers I will consider, I am sure am disappointed with the slim pickings out there. An IS300 would be wonderful, but too expensive. A manual V6 Accord coupe would be perfect. Oh well...

Actually, you know what is sad? A friend of mine has a 5spd 96 Ford Probe GT. The ride is refined and quiet, the engine and transmission is decent (Mazda), and it looks pretty good too. Its too bad Honda doesn't make anything comparable.

My tentative plan was to look into the Prelude once the new Integra was released, so I could maybe leverage a better deal.
    Rebuttal? :)
  • blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    Ed, you might want to take a look at the Mitsubishi Eclipse GT. It has a refined V6, comfortable ride, available 5-speed manual, and it's pretty quick.

Personally, I decided that I prefered the Prelude's razor-sharp handling and VTEC rush, but you might find the Eclipse more to your taste. That is, if you're willing to consider Mitsubishi.
    now I know better where you stand. The way I figure is, given the constraints that you have, you have 3 choices:
    1- Next gen Integra
    2- Prelude
    3- Celica - if you don't mind its looks.

One more thing is that I don't believe you'd get a better deal on the prelude just because there's a fresh integra in the market. Yes, Honda doesn't sell that many preludes, but they don't make that many as well. The last couple years have seen fresh coupes like cougar, celica, eclipse, (mustang?),... but this has not brought down the price of a prelude. Good luck with your decision.
    >1. Low-rev torque is weak;
    So rev it up - that's why you have a 7500 rpm redline. :-)

>2. Tires not "grippy"(stock Bridgestone RE-92);
    True. The car is much more capable of with better tires.

>3. Semi-auto is slow;(Actually I enjoy the full-auto more)
    This is true for any car in this class/price range.

>4. Body hardness;(although I know the Prelude's body is a lot stiffer than Civic and Integra)
    I heard and read that S2000's body is really hard and strong, is tht true???
    Do you mean the suspension or the construction? Of couse S2K has a better suspension - it should, it's a different class of car.
    Oh boy, do you guys put down the Integra.. I think the GSR is very comparable to a Prelude. I 've driven both many times (well the Prelude, I mean, I own a '99 GSR)
    As far as body regidity, my friend says my GSR feels a light tighter and rigit than his '98 SH.

Anyway, our friend is looking for more torque with a more cushy and less noisy ride WITH a 5-sp. no less! I think his choices are almost next to none in the low $20K range. The Eclipse GT would probably be the best choice but they go for around $24-25K, like a fully loaded SH.
    Another thing to consider is the very strong rumors that once the new Integra is out, there won't be any more Preludes, but just a high output Civic, like an Si/Si-R taking the Prelude's place. We 'll see..
    I was in Europe this past summer and only saw 1 Prelude. My cousins told me that they 're very expensive over there and that there are many other good choices for less money. The said a Prelude over there is almost the same price as a BMW 323 (or a 320 with a 2.0L, they got different models there with smaller engines).
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • hikaruhikaru Member Posts: 2
    I think the Prelude is way too popular in US and Canada just because there aren't many good competitors.
    If you can import any car to the US, what will you bring to "compete with" the Prelude?
    Hey prelude owners, given another $10K what car would you buy next and why? Please only reply if you drive a prelude. And, no 4-doors please.
    A sincere thanks for all of the advice so far... the year-end bonus came in early, so I am ready to buy at any time.. unfortunately, questions remain for Prelude owners..

1) It seems that most here believe that the Prelude is not much more refined than the Integra... but I was looking at the vehicle weights between the two.. the Prelude weighs about 400 lbs more! I know that the slightly larger engine would be part of that, but I was under the assumption that some of the difference was due to better insulation and sound deadening material... am I wrong? The sizes of the cars are not much different...

2) I also realized (I think) that the Prelude will ONLY run on the high octane stuff.. that it is required, not just recommended.. is that so??

3) I might consider a Mitsubishi Eclipse, but I am Canadian, and Mitsu isn't in our marketplace. But to be honest, it would be doubtful that I would stray from Honda/Toyota. As an aside, take a look at the long term review section in Edmunds, and read the review on the Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape. Then scan down to the recall section... positively frightening!! This is precisely the reason that I am sold on Honda/Toyota quality.

4) Don't get me wrong, I love to rev the engine, and would have nooo problem with the VTEC engine. But I just want to make sure that the noise isn't overly excessive, especially at non-Vtec rpms at highways speeds, like my Integra is.

4) The reason that I haven't simply gone down to the corner Honda dealer and test driven a Prelude is because the closest dealer to me is about 300 miles away. I would rather learn all I can before I make the commitment... hence all the questions (thanks again for tolerating me!!)

Ed.
  • hikaruhikaru Member Posts: 2
    Being a big HONDA fan myself, I think I will get a S2000;
    Or the BMW coupe.
  • jk111jk111 Member Posts: 125
    yep, prelude is pretty expensive over there. I just read the CAR magazine yesterday and the prelude cost about 24k pounds at england! Not to mention they have the 130bph version and 200bhp version. But there compact car selection is so extensive over there, WRX, Evol 6, Clio v6..

edblakeley, have you considered the Maxima? You can probably find a Maxima SE for 24 grand. Not to mention it is comfortable, quick, low noise level and available in stick.
  • hgileshgiles Member Posts: 66
    My next car is a 2004 M3. I love my 98 SH, though. Unfortunately, I can't get the M3 right now.
  • racerzrx7racerzrx7 Member Posts: 11
    Next car? Good question. If I can get the S2000 with the MSRP price, I would go for it :o). The new Integra (Accura RSX) is coming and let's see what they get. M3 is way too expensive, at least 20K in additional to the Prelude. Lexus IS 300 is also a great car but it get 4 doors and automatic only. Hm... it seems not much choice here. Tell me yours ...
  • kkl1kkl1 Member Posts: 16
    Ed-

I have owned a '98 Prelude for 30 months. I add regular octane gasoline half the time and the premium fuel the other half. It does not seem to impair performance and my engine remains quiet and smooth. In addition, the owner's manual indicates that regular octane fuel can be used; the engine will retard timing to accomodate this, although performance could be impaired. I find the Prelude surprisingly quiet for highway cruising. With regards to refinement, opinions vary, but in a comparison test of several sport coupes about 1 year ago, Car and Driver indicated that the Prelude was more refined than the Integra (the Prelude also was first in that test overall). Good luck with your decision.

Ken
    Ed, I've got over 50K miles (mostly highway) on my 98 and I've never had any complaints about road noise. Actually, this car is much more quieter than the passenger cars that I sometimes rent. Vtech does (and should!) sound loud (and sweet), though. So, rest assured the noise is definitely not going to be "overly excessive". :-)
    Well, that's the reason I posted the question - I really don't have any car in mind! I definitely don't want the S2000, I need some more low end torque since I need a daily driver. So, what I'm looking for in my next car is - faster with more low-end torque and significantly better handling than the prelude. I don't want to spend another $10K for any car that almost handles the same and is 0.5 seconds faster than the prelude. Another thing you get with the Prelude is that it's not that common, would be nice if my next car is the same way. Honestly, I don't think I can get all this for just $10 more. The closest maybe an M coupem, but that's a lot more $$$? I don't know.
  • leftonlefton Member Posts: 8
    With all due respect to harry, gsr can't touch a ludes performance. Yes lude is heavier, due to more motor and heavier susp. But do the math and you will see stock vs stock lude wins the power to weight ratio. Also handles much better due to beefier anti roll bars, 16" wheels, ect. You can put a bigger motor in the civic platform, but, its still a civic. If you need more torque, wait for the is300 to get manual trans. in march. Of course this is my opinion but again do the math. Take the weight of each car and divide it by h/p and you get power to weight ratio. The car with more power to weight is quicker. also factor in torque, lude has a least 25 ft # more than gsr. Hope this helps, Doug
  • garmriftgarmrift Member Posts: 3
    Even if I had had 10k more to spend on a car (which I actually did), I would have still ended up with the Prelude. I considered BMW's, Lexus IS, Acura CL/Tl, etc., but in the end, I decided that I didn't want a "sport sedan." Two doors is enough for me, and plus, I love the styling.

I think the only car I would trade the Prelude for is an NSX. Not to say that there aren't other good cars out there, but none that I prefer over the Prelude. I wouldn't mind owning a Celica for a little while, since I'm somewhat of a loyal Celica owner, but in the end, I'd want my Prelude back.
    Well, I 'm waiting to see what the next Type-R is like (or RSX..) in '02.
    Being a GSR owner the Prelude is not much of an upgrade for me and nor do I have $$35-45K to spend on Bimmers or S2000. My next car would be in the mid to high 20's and hopefully the next gen. Type-R won't disappoint.
    I 'm very spoiled since I 've upgraded the suspension and my GSR handles the same as my brother's '98 Type-R, I can't see myself driving 4-dr sedans even if they call them sports sedans. It's very hard for a sedan to match a light coupe's handling.
    If the next Integra is faster than today's ITR and handles better, it will most likely be my choice, especially since I race a lot (on the track).
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    Well, comments here plus the photos and description of the new RSX have convinced me that I had might as well make the trip to test drive the Prelude.

I really don't like the look of the RSX... it looks basically like a gussied up civic... and I understand that there is no double wishbone suspension anymore!!! Inconceivable!!

The interior looks neat, but the shape, expecially from the rear, looks absolutely terrible in my eyes. To each his own I suppose, but it sure has made the decision easier, and I won't have to wait for anything now.

Boy, I wish that Nissan Z car was available sooner.... oh well, probably out of my price range anyway.

Ed.
  • qmercuryqmercury Member Posts: 9
    I am looking at purhcasing a '97 model Prelude with 27000 miles. Anyway, since that was the first year for that bodystyle and level of engine tuning, I was wondering if problems that come with early prodution would be included.

Also, anyone ever tried pulling a 750 pound trailer with a 5th generation Prelude?

Thanks,
  • garmriftgarmrift Member Posts: 3
    I think the Prelude is more refined than the Integra. I've also driven both extensively (own the Prelude, friend owns the Integra). Actually, depends on your definition of refined (sorry, I hate it when people do that). Most people, I think, though, would agree that the Prelude has a more solid feel to it than the Integra in terms of driving noise and interior comfort unless you're in the back.

In terms of body roll, etc. only1harry, with all due respect, you can't compare a car with modded suspension to one with stock suspension. I'm pretty sure that stock for stock, the Prelude has a more rigid chassis than the Integra, as well as less body roll when cornering. The Prelude is so fat and wide, it's kind of unfair to compare the two :)

I do like the GSR a lot, though, so i'm just pointing these things out for the benefit of the guy who's asking the questions.
  • foleymifoleymi Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a Honda del Sol and am beginning to look for something new. While the Prelude looks good, I'm wondering what people think about the new Mercedes coupe that just debuted. It will be under $30k and have the super-charged engine from the SLK. Any thoughts on if it's worth waiting for that, or just go with the cheaper Prelude now?
  • jk111jk111 Member Posts: 125
    I doubt you can find one for under 30 grand. MB dealers is going to make a killing by selling the car with add ons. Just the same way with the 3 series. You can get a base 323 for 27 grand, but none of the BMW dealers have a 323 with out add ons. I guess that is why IS300 is a real close competitor to the 3 series right now.

Prelude is a little more refined than the teg, but the teg is also 7-8 years old. The next gen of integra should be a lot more refined. I really want to see what the next gen of teg is like. Currently I am looking at Celica GT-S, but I am leaning towards the next gen of integra if it offers the same of better performance ..
  • garythorstedgarythorsted Member Posts: 4
    I have a 97 Prelude in "Clean" almost "Outstanding" condition (by Edmunds definition for calculating TMV) and 39000 miles. Edmunds says the car (Clean) is worth 14,100 or (Outstanding) 15,100 or thereabouts. Plus, I live in Albuquerque, NM. I want to trade it for a 2001 Accord EX/V6 because we're about to have a baby and both our cars need to be able to carry a baby. Not a bad move, Prelude to Accord EX.

Anyway, I've been laughed out of 2 dealerships on both accounts (1) the price I want for my car (one will generously give me 11,400, the other wouldn't give me a price when I told him the laughable Edmunds TMV) and (2) the price they want to sell me the Accord for (well over 1000 off of Edmunds TMV). What is the deal? Has anyone had any recent experience with either of these issues?

Thanks,
    Gary
  • garythorstedgarythorsted Member Posts: 4
    I am only one example, but my experience with my 97 (STD, not SH) has been excellent. I bought it new and have not had a problem, very solid. I have to sell it now (Read: post 97) but not because I want to. Since you are in the market, what are you willing to pay to give me a baseline. Read my post 97 to see what dealers will pay for them and compare that to what they are selling for. Let me know what price range is "fair" to you.

Thanks,
    Gary
  • presboogiepresboogie Member Posts: 4
    I've also been thinking about trading in my Prelude (1998) for a new Accord V6. I feel like I've been able to find good deals here in Atlanta.

Edmunds says my Prelude is worth about $15k trade-in and I was offered (after haggling) $14.6k. Not bad.

And I can get the 2001 Accord V6 for almost invoice. Of course, I go Griffin Honda outside Atlanta, instead of the dealers in the city. Better prices in the country. And more competition, perhaps, than New Mexico.

Don't let those $#!@ dealers take you over a barrel!

Good luck,
    Bill
    change (manual) transmission fluid with a 5spd Prelude if the shift is smooth? Or is there a manufacturer schedule to change manual transmission fluid?

My car just turn 30K and I am wondering if I need to change it or not. If yes, can someone give me some advise on how to drain it? (I kind of know how to fill/add fluid but have no idea on how to drain it.)

Thanks in advance.