Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class: Accessories & Modifications

susan67susan67 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
We just purchased a 1997 E320 last week and have been trying to program our Genie intelicode garage door opener to the car's remote. After calling Genie, they faxed us with directions that did not work on our car. They told us that if the car was an early 1997 model, it may not work. Has anyone encountered this problem or have any advice as to how we can program it into our car. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• tonyman21tonyman21 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Susan, just try this regardless of what the instructions say.

1. Push the "training button" located under a little door on the opener itself (the unit that is hung from your garage ceiling). A light may come on when you push the button.

2. Then push the hand-held garage door opener button that makes the door go up and down while you are holding the hand-held opener 2-3 inches from the button you are "training" in the car.

3. Hold both buttons (on garage door opener and in car) until the light on the visor (or rear view mirror, depending on the model) starts to blink quickly. That should do it. Try a couple of times if it does not work the first time.

Good luck,

Tony
  • chappye430wchappye430w Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2001 E430 4Matic. It came with 17" stock aluminum 5 slot wheels and Pirelli P7000 SuperSport P235/45/17 94W M+S tires.

I would like to put larger chrome wheels and tires on this vehicle. My idea was to use the stock wheels and tires for the winter and the new ones for the summer.

What is the largest wheel and tire combination I can use?

Who has already done this?

My concern is that I do not want to get incorrect readings from my speedometer/odometer/on-board navigation...

Thanks for any input!

Chris
  • thegeneraltsothegeneraltso Member Posts: 25
    i would go to 18 inch max since anything bigger than that is very expensive. try the tirerack.com people. they are great and have sample pic of your car with the big wheels on it.
  • rxkerxke Member Posts: 168
    Hi

I just went to replace my wiper blades for the first time for my E320 (2002). The blades did not really last that long(6 months) with not much use. Does anyone have any suggestions for replacing them with something other than the normal replacement wiper blade. Something that might last a little longer?

Thanks for any suggestions.

RXKE
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Not sure they last any longer, but I switched to a standard 24" blade a year or two ago and they work just fine. You won't even notice the 1" less coverage. The good news is the blade refills are available at any auto store for less than half the MB price.. You will have to initally buy the entire blade assembly, usually around $7-8 dollars; then it's just the refills from then on..
  • sculptordeansculptordean Member Posts: 1
    The factory Phone was analogue that year and has since been rendered obsolete, Is there an aftermarket digital phone that can be adapted to the original setup. What did all the original owners do when the cell phone companies went digital. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • beepabeepa Member Posts: 12
    I'm in the same boat sculptordean. I'm not sure but I think MB has a new phone that will retro fit. Motorola V60 or something like that. Check it out!
  • jimc14jimc14 Member Posts: 10
    We would like to install a cd changer in our '01 E430 trunk. Anybody know what model changer and bracket we need? Thanks
  • kbharris1kbharris1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi
    Does anybody know of a "trading post" where I can share and obtain different COMAND CD cuts? I have successfully burnt a copy of my COMAND CD and use the copy in case I lose the original. I'm interested in obtaining (a) a newer version for my region as well as (b) other regions.
    Thanks.
  • josterholtjosterholt Member Posts: 11
    I have just bought a new (2004) E320, and it didnt have an incar phone. I want to put on in, but I am interested in a dealer installed MB phone. Has anyone had any good experience with installed systems other than MB. I use a Motorola V60 phone.

Thanks
  • barry45rpmbarry45rpm Member Posts: 98
    I use a V 60 & just took delivery of an 04 E 500. I ordered the V 60 from the factory (but the dealer can put it in too) The actual Cellular carrier must be specified so you get the right phone to work with your current carrier. Mine is Verizon & I changed my plan to a family share plan & got a second number for the car. Verizon charges 20 bucks a month & it doesnt matter which phone uses the total number of my plan's monthly minutes. I did this because the MB phone is too expensive to walk around with it clipped to my belt to lose or damage. It is an extremely well integrated phone/car/dashboard combo.
    Bite the bullet & do it once, the right way. get the phone from the MB dealer.
  • frjoefrjoe Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 E320. I've a CD changer I want to install in it. Does anybody know where I can get the bracket to hold it in its place in the trunk? The dealer seems not to know.
  • westoncpawestoncpa Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2003 E320 and am interested in replacing the stock 225/55 R 16 "H" tires with either a 17" or 18" tire. I am also looking to replace the stock Mercedes 16" rims w/17" or 18" AMG rims.

Has anyone else upgraded the wheels and rims on their 2003 E320???
  • big_9_erbig_9_er Member Posts: 3
    I would not recommend waisting money on getting a one or two inch bigger rim unless you drive in the snow all the time.
    If your going to spend money, spend a few extra and get at least 19" wheels.
    I have 19" wheel and it's lowered a little.
    It looks amazing and the ride quality is not that bad.
  • big_9_erbig_9_er Member Posts: 3
    I have a E320 that's lowered with 19" Brabus and 265/30/19 Nitto's on the back and 235/30/19 on the front.

Looks great, handles great and still rides fairly well considering the setup.
  • crtcrt Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 1999 E320 wagon the radio reception is terrible and it does not have a CD player. Instead of paying the $500 for the 6 disc player that goes in the rear side panel. I am thinking of installing a Blitzsafe auxiliary input converter which would allow me to play an Ipod or Shuffle using the existing CD player controls on the MB radio. I would like to hear from anybody who has already installed one. I would particularly like to know if the controls work reasonably well and if there is a good way to get the Ipod connection into the center console.

Thanks,
  • fredrostarrfredrostarr Member Posts: 1
    Contemplating the 19" wheels as well. Should I go with the 19x8.5 or 19x10?
  • krupiekrupie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Mercedes with horrible radio sound quality. The CD sounds great, but with the radio I have intermittent problems with the quality, or tone, of the music going bad. Sometimes the right speakers turn off completely, then the sound returns to perfect. They replaced the radio, the amplifier and they say they have checked all of the wiring. Next they want to replace the antenna amplifier. Any similar problems, or suggestions?
  • lcheulcheu Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a 2001 E 320 & it appears that the car already has the factory/dealer installed phone system. There is the cradle in the center arm rest. What phones will work in that cradle? Do I need to get a specially-equipped phone to work with the MB-system?

Thanks
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Are you talking about AM or FM reception? The AM reception in the E-class has been pitiful for many years now and cannot be improved. If you are talking FM, keep pressuring the dealer. I've had a '96 and an '01 and both FM radios have been superb. :cry:
  • blissfulblissful Member Posts: 84
    Are you still as sold on the integrated phone as you were a year and a half ago? Am about to order a new car and wondering if it is worth the investment. I see two prices on the list:
    "Hands Free" and "Hands Free Voice". I would choose the former as I don't do a LOT of driving and talking, but when I do, it would be nice to look up numbers on the dash display instead of trying to do it with my handset.

On the other hand, I already own a Motorola V-710 (which is one of the same phones MBZ sells for $600+) which is Bluetooth and voice compatible, so perhaps it is not really worth the freight unless I were a driving fool?

Appreciate your thoughts
  • christopher1a1christopher1a1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a good Internet source of high-performance parts, (Chips, K&N's, ect..) for my 03 MB E500 can anone recomend a site..s on the web for Parts, or even how to places?
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Do a search for k&n filters.Came up with many suppliers. Same for the other items.
  • blissfulblissful Member Posts: 84
    Does anyone know whether these cars come prewired with phone/hands free and just need to have certain codes input to make things work? Or is there additional hardware required? Looks like all the buttons are there, and I have some technical specs that look like the data to turn these things on, but dont know where it would occur. Just curious.
  • janiepeajaniepea Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone ever respond to this posting? I'm about to buy a 2001 E320 that has the phone equipment but I'm not sure whether it will work with my Treo 650. Any ideas?
    Thanks -
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    www.wireless4mb.com is where you need to go. The answer is no. The MB handsfree system includes a cradle/phone combination in the armrest. You have to use the MB phone. They are coming out with a bluetooth "cradle" option shortly. You might be able to upgrade an 01E with that cradle and then be able to use the bluetooth connection of your treo.
  • drv4fundrv4fun Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

I've had my 06 E-class sedan for almost a year now and noticed the other day another E-class with a different tail lights than mine. It was badgeless so I couldn't tell if it was a 350 or 500. It had a bunch of LED looking lights on the top part of the tail lights. I know for sure mine does not look like that. I've looked at a few sites and could not find it. Is this an AMG thing and can I order it somewhere for my E-350? Anyone know?

TIA
  • lanewbielanewbie Member Posts: 25
    I cannot seem to get a straight answer on whether the E350 has bluetooth phone capability and whether it allows voice activation. Even edmunds.com doesn't specify. There is a "hands-free phone" option, but it is not clear whether you can use your phone via bluetooth, or whether you have to get a new phone from Mercedes. Does anyone know the answer?
  • lanewbielanewbie Member Posts: 25
    I didn't get an answer to my posting here May 8th, so today I posted it in another E-class forum. But I'm also going to repost here in hopes of getting an answer somewhere.

Can one of you E-class owners or experts tell me whether the hands free communication option in the 2006 E350 allows you to use your own phone via Bluetooth, or whether you have to buy a new Mercedes phone (and therefore have yet another phone number!). I would like to be able to use my own Bluetooth phone, through the E350 audio system, giving it voice commands. Can I do this? The dealer isn't sure.

Thanks!
  • alissaalissa Member Posts: 9
    Posted today on emercedesbenz.com

It's been only two months since Mercedes announced the second coming of the E-Class, an updated version of the widely popular sedan that features a number of new revisions. More power, slightly enhanced styling, and a wealth of new electrical components are just a few of the changes the 2007 E can boast of.

To view the full press release and more photos click here
  • rleyrley Member Posts: 4
    Not sure if you got an answer yet, but my understanding is that Bluetooth is available, but (and it is a big but) you have to buy a bluetooth interface module. The cost is $350.00! You can get info at wireless4MB.com. Or you could get a handset cradle (if one is available for your phone). Again, go to wireless4MB.com to get information.

I gotta tell ya, MB just keeps on ripping you off. I guess they assume money doesn't matter to us.
  • nimhrodnimhrod Member Posts: 49
    I just read your post from '03 about the NAV CD. Did you ever find a place where you can upidate or trade nav DVD's? I have an E320 CDI and need an update as I'm a realtor, but can't afford the buy the full blown new one.

Thx!
  • mbmexmbmex Member Posts: 2
    those tail lights only come in avantgarde package and amg. i just bought a 2003 e320 designo interior and avantgarde package and it came with those cool lights. :blush: ">
This discussion has been closed.