Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rough Idle

dvosedvose Member Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Ford
I HAVE A 2000 F-150,W/ 5.4L JUST BOUGHT 3 WEEKS AGO, IT HAS JUST DEVELOPED A ROUGH IDLE, OR A SKIP AS THE SHOP FORMAN CALLED IT, THE FIRST TIME IN THEY UPDATED THE COMPUTER DIDN'T HELP, SECOND TIME THEY COULDEN'T FIND ANYTHING, THEY TOLD ME THE TRUCK HAS HIGH-PERFORMANCE HEADS ON IT AND TO IDLE ROUGH IS NORMAL, I DON'T AGREE,IT WILL BE GOING BACK NEXT WEEK.
ANYBODY ELESE EXPERIENCING TA ROUGH IDLE??

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    you might want to change dealers.
  • cspauldingcspaulding Member Posts: 159
    but my Chev. developed a thing where it would drop to 300 rpm, almost die out, then jump back up to 1000 rpm, it would run this cycle. They said it was a sensor.
    Good luck.
  • eater_33062eater_33062 Member Posts: 34
    HI CHRIS, MY 2000 GMC SIERRA 4X4 5.3 SLE WAS DOING THE SAME THING. I GUESS GM HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR A WHILE MY DEALER TOLD ME. THEY WENT TO TECH & PUT IN A NEW PROGRAM, IN PUTER. THIS WAS ABOUT A MONTH AGO. PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE GONE. HOPE THIS HELPS. LH PS I HAD TO SEND MY HYPERTECH PROGRAMER BACK FOR RE PROGRAM BECAUSE IT DIDN'T RECOGNIZE OR FIND NEW PROGRAM. I GOT IT BACK TODAY INSTALLED IT ALL IS FINE NOW. DON'T KNOW WHAT HYPERTECH DID BUT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS A 3 PROGRAM UP GRADE . MADE A BIG DIFFERERCE IN PERFORMANCE. LH
  • cspauldingcspaulding Member Posts: 159
    Thanks for the reply...they tried fixing mine by adjusting, also had to put in new lifters, valve seats, cylinder, etc. Stopped the problem for a few months, but now it's starting again. Still hoping for the engine to blow!

Chris
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Had that problem on my '90 S10. Know what fixed it? New PCV valve.
    THAT SIMPLE?
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Been thinking about that one Oby. Wasn't PCV valve, it was EGR valve. Sorry.
  • blume1blume1 Member Posts: 25
    I hope you don't have to go through What I have had to. My 99 F150 has done this since I drove it off the lot new- 19,500 miles ago -- I thought it was just a plug or something simple! - It has been in the shop approx 10 times -- to a different dealer once -- they both acknowledge its rough -- here's what my selling dealer has done : Changed plugs, Changed #4(I think) coil (this is the one where coolant "may" drip on the coil and mess the coil up, did a complete "engine balance", Changed out the complete main engine computer -- All done without the computer ever setting a code-- in other words the "computer says" it is all OK!!!
    So, not that they have not tried to fix it-- but now they won't do any more -- till it shows something wrong on the diagnostic. My selling dealer agrees with me -- it is rough as beck -- he says Ford will not let him do anything else. The "area re" (R. Deitz (Diet?) ) has been involved and his boss as well. Latest is this -- they offered me a 4000.00 rebate on a trade in. This meant that I would have to kick in another 4-5k for a new 2001 F150. THIS IS FOR A PROBLEM WHICH THEY WON"I TROUBLESHOOT ANY FURTHER. AND ONE WHICH THEY KNOW IS THERE!!!!I still have 17k and 16 months left on my warranty. NOW they are offering me a 75,000 --5yr warranty free -- I think this is to try and make me go away -- but my problem has not gone away.
    My original dealer thinks it is an injector but he says Ford won't let him fix my truck !!!
    I like everything else about the truck -- which is why I have not been too anxious to go thru Ford's Dispute Settlement Board, or persue My state's lemon law!! All I want is this truck to idle smooth like the 5 or 6 other new and used 5.4's I have test drove!!! I JUST WANT FORD TO FIX THE PROBLEM !!!!!--- HELP! -- If anyone has any ideas!!!!!!
    opinion from another dealer or an independent mechanic?
  • blume1blume1 Member Posts: 25
    I have been to another dealer -- they felt the rough idle -- ran all the diags -- then said that was all Ford would let them do --- Same sorry story!!!
    my own experience is if find no codes nuttin wrong wit your trk. all the dealers say dis,or we'll have to call tech hot line!!!! wat a joke tek comes bak wit wat codes did u find? and so on&so on cut da crap & find the problem . lh ps oby has a lot of nohow! on trks etc. lh
    There is a TSB regarding rough idle.

00-10-4 MAY 00 Rough Idle Speed/Stalls During Idle Speeds

You can find more info here:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/20/992017DE.html

If that doesn't help the dealer, the I would recommend seeking assistance from the BBB. That usually works.

BTW, do you know if Ford had solved the piston slap problem by '99?

HEY MARK, I TOLE U OBY KNOWS HIS STUFF, EVEN IF ME & HIM DISAGREE ON ONE 1 THING! NOT A BAD RECORD RITE!
This discussion has been closed.