Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner vs Toyota Highlander

jkk1961jkk1961 Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Toyota
Looking to purchase a reliable SUV. Seems that Toyota is pushing the 2001 4 Runners with incentives, and according to Edmunds, one can be had for about $500 over invoice. The Highlander on the other hand is going around $2000 over invoice. Drove the Highlander and didn't care for the captain's chairs, will be driving a 4 Runner today. The "obvious" choice would seem to be 4 Runner. Any thoughts?

Comments

• gwapogwapo Member Posts: 20
    It's so easy to decide when you've got much money.
  • johndoe6johndoe6 Member Posts: 12
    If you like the trucklike ride in an SUV then you should consider the Runner. The Highlander has a more car-like ride according to the posts in the Toyota Highlander topic. You should get what you like and what you can afford.
    Let us know what you think of the Runner and what you have decided to purchase.
    HP
  • verywellverywell Member Posts: 1
    Re 4-Runner as Highlander, 4-runner will be a truck-like handler and ride but a very serviceable vehicle. I just bought a Highlander and it's great; built on a Lexus RS300 chassis and thus car-like in handling and ride; plenty of power with the 220 HP gun. I, too, found first two dealers I went to wanted $500-1000 over sticker-this about two months after its coming on the market. Took delivery on my Highlander on Memorial Day; found a local dealer who discounted it about $1400 below sticker and gave me nearly $1500 more for my trade that other dealers offered; that way, I came out almost $3000 less than the other deals I looked at. You may have to look around to find it but it's worth the effort and wait.
  • mikenhgolfmikenhgolf Member Posts: 6
    off road stuff, then pick the 4Runner. If you are gonna be mostly on cement, but want snow/ice help, go with the Highlander.

If you are gonna have ppl in the back seats, I think HL. The rear of the 4R is most un-comfy!
  • pillarspillars Member Posts: 1
    I drove a Highlander about a month ago, fully expecting to like it, based on the reviews. I found the 4 with 2-wheel drive didn't have enough power to handle traffic. Then I tried a 6 with 4-wheel drive. It felt as if the power was constantly shifting (on a straight-away highway) from wheel to wheel, as if they were competing for it. Very unsettling. Not much power.

Had never driven a 4-Runner. Read the reports. Found a clean '97 SR5. Drove it. Loved it. Bought it.

This replaces a 1990 Carry wagon with 165,000 miles in mint condition - not a speck of rust - new brakes, shocks, paint. Mint. In case you know anyone looking.
  • rodwilliams11rodwilliams11 Member Posts: 4
    I own a 4Runner and a Lexus RX300. Wife likes the Lexus and I like the 4Runner. I feel too removed from the road in the Lexus, but it is more comfy on trips and much more comfy in the rear. Don't expect to off-road in the Highlander. Not made for that.
  • sjsazsjsaz Member Posts: 10
    I test drove both and found that the Highlander has alot more pick-up & more interior room. But wait until Feb 2002 when I believe the new look 4runner should debut
  • rljslickrljslick Member Posts: 59
    I keep hearing that the new 4 Runner will be out in 2003. If Toyota is planning to release a new 4 Runner in a few months someone would have seen one by now.
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    From what I've been able to find, or put together, the next 4Runner will be out for the 2003 model year, which I think means around mid 2002, like with the Highlander. I think that is also why Toyota is pushing the 4Runner and Corolla, because newer versions will be out sometime this year. I don't know why the Tundra is included with these two though.
  • rmormo Member Posts: 1
    Hope this info will be helpful to everyone out there. The new 2003 4-Runners will be in Dealer showrooms on Oct. 15th 2002. Yes they will be totally redisigned, much larger with a V8 engine and optional third row seat.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Unless you are offroading or towing on a regular basis, get the highlander - much more comfy ride and more room in the back, not to mention easier on the gas and a few grand cheaper...

...well, except that right now, 4Runners are being sold $5-8K below sticker, because in two months plus the 2003 will be here, and with the dramatic improvements they are apparently making, no-one will look twice at the 2002 again!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    These two vehicles are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I personally own a 99 SR5 4X4 4-Runner with 100,000 mi on the odometer. Great vehicle with no problems. But, if you want comfy, go with the Highlander,but, if you don't mind a stiffer ride, I think the 4-Runner is more durable for multiple usage. But, the 4-Runner is definately more $$,so, if that's an issue, buy the Highlander. The 4-Runner rides on a truck frame and the Highlander on a car frame.
  • carlmoorejrcarlmoorejr Member Posts: 23
    I test drove a used 01 Highlander Limited for a day. Comfortable,carlike ride,very well appointed.I really liked it.{not it's price}, Then I test drove 01 used SR5 4Runner. Smaller inside, truck ride and feel.Bought the Runner the next day. Paid less for the Runner and not as luxo as the Highlander but I think it will be much more of a 4wheel drive machine than the Highlander. I suggest drive em both and consider how you will be mostly using it. Both are good dependable machines. Build quality and value is good. Their are bargains out there if you look long enough.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Neither the RX nor the HL have usefull AWD systems. There is just enough fluid in the VC to allow them to be marketed as AWD without incurring customer legal response.
  • brad_22brad_22 Member Posts: 154
    Have you ever shared your research about the HL AWD system with anyone at Toyota? I'm curious what their response is/would be.
    But lots and lots of email traffic to/from:

customer_satisfaction_inquiries@lexus.com

The responses are usually so cryptic as to need translation, but by who?

"the description of the VC on the Lexus web page is from the dictionary, and may not reflect the actual implementation."

Some of them are posted on the RX300 thread.
  • greggsa4greggsa4 Member Posts: 24
    We have both the 4runner and the Highlander. The 4runner works out better if I'm hauling something (the rear window goes down and sometimes I have to stick things out of it). The Highlander drives much nicer . We love it. Buy the vehicle that fits your needs. Also, I saw pictures of the new 4runner on one of edmunds web sites. It might have been in the 4runner town hall I don't remember. If you look around enough you'll find it. It looks alot like the Sequioa.
    is way more practical for around town useage, and smoother in its ride. It also has a lower-emissions engine! (yay!) Plus, it gets better mileage.

But in just a couple of weeks, the new 4Runner is going to be here, with WAY more power and lots of new luxury amenities and techno gizmos oriented to offroading, without much of a price increase. Of course, the HL is cheaper. And now, with the new Runner upsized, HL will probably be a little smaller too.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• lexus_addictedlexus_addicted Member Posts: 24
    that there will be a substantial price hike for the 2003 redesign.
    It is impossible for Toyota to maintain prices at 2002 levels or even with a slight price increase.
    Price increase, imo, will be proportionally to the incorporation of new equipment and other techno gizmos.
    base price has increased, but middle of the pack 4WD is going to be around $30K - they have released prices - and that is the same as the old model. Apparently 4Runner sales dropped substantially in 2001 and it scared the Toyota folks, so they lowered the price a little and added lots of stuff for the '03 to get sales back up to 100,000 annually.

• abtsellerabtseller Member Posts: 291
    03 4Runner. Its an SR5 4wd. Nicely equipped. Very nice vehicle. Much bigger than the 02. Has the 4.7L V8 from the Tundra/ Sequoia. These babies will be bringing full sticker for a while. Lots of back seat room/ leg room.

MSRP on this one is $34,xxx, it has a sunroof, all the airbags, the aluminum wheels, roof rack, mats, and the dual cargo area.

Ed
  • esswebessweb Member Posts: 51
    The 4 Runner V8 Sport is about 3k more than a similarly equiped highlander V6 non-limited. Other than the off-roading which few of us do, the 4 Runner offer a V8 engine that doesn't consume any more gas(a little more), a 5 speed auto vs. a 4, and more JBL speakes if you option, a side curtain airbag instead of side airbag in the HL. Oh, and the suspension is enhanced in the Sport version also. I think all that worth the 3K extra, if it is still within your budget.
    SR5 highlanders rarely top $30K, and have to be fully loaded to do so. If you want a 2WD, their range is around $28K. 4Runner sport V-8 starts at $34K, so that is $6K, not 3. Perhaps you meant the SR5, which is $30K, and is only about $2K more than HL with the V-6.

But in that case, you do not get the sport suspension in the Runner, and the mileage is 15/19 Runner vs 18/22 HL. As soon as you option in the JBL sound system in the Runner, the price gap widens again.

It remains to be seen (and varies widely around the country) whether good deals can be had on the Runner right now, given its newness, whereas dealers are bargaining on HLs.

• esswebessweb Member Posts: 51
    4 Runner V8 Sport + DJ + GY = 29986 (invoice)

HL V6 SR5 + AG + CQ + HE + VD +BE = 26688 (invoice)

In order to get the VSC and Side Airbag in HL, you probably have to order all those other things. And 4 runner does offer more standard features like privacy glass, remote keyless and stuff.
  • mabucfanmabucfan Member Posts: 5
    I have to call in the experts here! We are down to models in our search for a new vehicle: the 4Runner and the Highlander. The reviews for the Highlander have been spectacular, and I enjoyed the ride. Drove the 4Runner yesterday - and really enjoyed that ride as well!

The issues I have, and what I'm looking for advice on:

1. My key considerations for the new vehicle: storage space (I've been driving a Civic for 7 years) and enhanced handling in inclement weather - is the AWD a better option, or 4WD? I am not a hardcore off roader.

2. On the 4Runner - can you stay in 4WD with the SR5 V8? If I stick with the V6, are the 4WD modes easy to understand, and get into while driving?

Any help here is appreciated.

Thanks!
  • twobrownstwobrowns Member Posts: 52
    I recentlly purchased an 03 highlander. Prior to the purchased I test drove both back to back and I prefered the car like handling of the Highlander and the better gas milage and I would seldom get off road . The 4runner is a terific veh. and I am certain I would have been satisfied with this veh.
  • tfuzztfuzz Member Posts: 93
    I traded a 2001 Highlander for a 2003 4Runner. Both are excellent vehicles. I would not have traded except 1) I prefer a truck based SUV for towing our pop-up camper, 2) occasionally I need to go through a blizzard (drifting snow) in the middle of the night to get to work, 3) I expect to do some light off roading (fire roads, that sort of thing) more often in the future, and 4) I frequently carry two dogs in the back and like to be able to roll the back window down part way for better ventilation (while parked).

The HL was a little more comfortable (for me anyway--definitely more car-like), had better gas mileage, and I thought was a little more fun to drive. It was also cheaper to insure and had lower property taxes. I didn't notice a whole lot of difference in interior room between the two, but you can check the exact measurements in the specs. If space is your main concern you might also check out the Honda Pilot. The HL did just fine in inclement weather, even ice and snow (but doesn't have the ground clearance or locking differential for really deep snow). If you want/need a truck based SUV the Runner would probably fit your need better. If you want/need a car based SUV look at the HL. Except reasons mentioned above I would probably rather have my HL back. However, for a truck the Runner is VERY nice and you don't give up much comfort (for highway cruising) at all.
    1. split decision - Runner has more storage space, but if all you will be facing is rain and snow on pavement, the AWD is all you really need. The edge goes to HL - save yourself a few $$.

2. On the V-8 Runner, you are in 4WD all the time. On the V-6, you go to 2WD (rear drive) by pressing a button on the dash - it is very easy and you will not even notice it.

Runner is much heavier, will drive as such, and will get worse gas mileage. BUT if interior space is your number one priority, it does have an advantage over HL.

• gklatvgklatv Member Posts: 35
    I own '00 4Runner and '03 HL. Most likely you will be happier with HL in a long run - quieter and more comfortable car-like ride, plenty of interior room and cargo space, AWD system with V6, better gas mileage. I love my 4Runner, but prefer wife's HL going places with family.
  • andrews928andrews928 Member Posts: 64
    If you drive an 03 4Runner I think you would agree it is a much nicer vehicle than the 00 4Runner. I'm sure there is a big differnce in ride quality between your 00 4Runner and your 03 HL but the difference(after driving both 03 models) in my opinion is insignificant.
    is not AWD, not even close.

Well, it really is, but only with good traction.

been a quiter!

Still trying to head off Bush's war, even today.
    are promised nightly here in San Francisco...

Loved that post about the asphalt/concrete comparison...even though no-one has laid concrete around here in 50 years due to the cost, so that what there is left is cracked and buckling, causing that rough ride that highlander owner posted about....

Of course, concrete doesn't last as long.

And some AWD is better than no AWD, even in mid-priced Toyota crossovers! LOL

• brad_22brad_22 Member Posts: 154
    ...recently gave the Highlander a "9" out of 10 when compared against the off-roading capability of some other cross-over SUVs. I know this doesn't qualify the HL as a boulder-basher, but they did have some nice comments about the Highlander's performance in the snow.

That "AWD" has to be good for something! : )
    I suppose the X5 and ML aren't crossover vehicles.

"concrete doesn't last as long..."

IMMHO concrete will last a lot longer than asphalt provided the under-layment is properly prepared.
    that was what I meant to say: asphalt doesn't last as long.

Soon you will need a hummer just to traverse the supposedly-paved roads of California...

It would really help a lot if we could outlaw studded tires or even put a surcharge on them based on the number of days they were not needed in each county.

Surcharge would be dedicated to repairing the roadbed damage by stud useage.
  • afmsc89afmsc89 Member Posts: 1
    Reading through the messages, everything boils down to preference. My wife has a 02 HL Limited with AWD V6 and I have the 4R Limited V8. I had the opportunity to drive the HL to Columbus OH from SA,TX and to handled and performed as well as my 4R. If you're a person mover I would go with the HL if you do outside activities and want a more eclectic SUV I would pick the 4R. Either way, they are both worth the $$$ Both SUVs provide the quality and dependiblity I have expected and come to appreciate for over 25 years.
    Your 4R could have made that trip safely in the worse snow/ice storm of the century, the HL wouldn't have gotten more than a block fromyour home.

If the HL is as comfortable and reliable as my 01 AWD RX (it is, close anyway) then you made the right choice for a fair-weather drive.
  • sistercrystinsistercrystin Member Posts: 6
    I'd just finished test-driving the Pilot EX-L/NAV (eh...*hand see-sawing back and forth*...bit overrated, I thought) and, since the Toyota dealership was just down the road, stopped by to test drive the HL Limited.

I wasn't all that impressed with the Highlander, either, and my hubby and I agreed that we needed a bit more cargo room. With two dogs and plans for me to do a bit of travel nursing in Phoenix and Seattle, we knew we'd need AWD or 4WD and a NAV.

I'd taken a few peeks on-line at the 4Runner, and my brother (a mechanic back home) couldn't praise it enough. Decided to take a V6 out for a spin...and LOVED it. My chest was pushed back into the seat when I gave the accelerator a less-than-gentle nudge, the cargo room was just what we needed, and though the 'Runner's turning radius will never beat my Accord's on-a-dime nimbleness, it still hung a u-turn in less space than I expected.

Four and a half hours (and much negotiation 'tween me, the sales manager, and my brother on my cell phone) later, I was taking my new "baby" home. By the way, the NAV's been a Godsend; I'm not afraid of getting lost anymore.
  • stevtecstevtec Member Posts: 4
    You see that black pickup truck all the way out near the water across the deep sand?

Our "not AWD" Highlander made it all the way through 5-6 in deep sand out to the water near where that truck was without much of a problem. Our "not AWD" Highlander also made it all the way up the 2-3 mile sand road which also had some deep stuff to cut through as well without much of a problem.

Our "not AWD" Highlander also made it through the DC blizzards this past winter which had schools shut down for over a week. It got my fiance to and from the hospital she works at everyday without a problem. It also made it through a blizzard from the DC area up to Pennsylvania and back over Christmas. When the HL started slipping and sliding a bit, the VSC/TRAC system did its thing and kept it on the road when other vehicles were sitting in ditches.

Here's my car....

It took almost two hours to dig that sucker out of nearly 2 FEET of snow.

Now here's our "not AWD" Highlander...

We used our rear bumper and the "not AWD" system in combination as a "shovel" and I had that thing out and ready to get my fiance to the hospital in about 2 minutes. You see how clear it is around it? Thats all thanks to our "not AWD" system working. :-)

By the way, there was a 2WD Rodeo stuck in the middle of a halfway plowed road on the way back from dropping my fiance off at the hospital she works at. To get around them, I drove our "not AWD" Highlander around them THROUGH A SNOWBANK without a problem. After I parked in our parking spot which was only shoveled with our "rear bumper" and only somebody with a AWD system could get into it, I went back and helped PUSH the people with the stuck 2WD Rodeo to get them going.

And whereas I have to be extremely careful and light-foot it in my Maxima during wet/rainy weather when pulling out, especially on an incline, you can simply stomp on it in our "not AWD" Highlander without a care in the world and there is always plenty of traction.

Yeah, the HL doesn't have any locking differentials. We don't need one. It doesn't even have a limited slip besides the center diff - VSC/TRAC replaces that and then some. And no, it doesn't have a low-range transfer case. We don't need that either. But for a "not AWD" AWD system, the HL sure does do a pretty damn good job of doing things and going places where 2WD's can't get!

Thank you, drive through. image

- Steve
    You drove backward before taking the picture, was that to simulate RWD in a FWD vehicle and is that how you outdid the other vehicles?

:-)

Rear bumper as snow shovel, definitely a RWD capability.

Look, I survived too many years in north central MT with only RWD to question the extra advantage and capability of the HL and/or RX AWD system. I would certainly expect an HL or RX to be able, even more capable, of doing the same.

Where I am coming from:

Two Jeeps, and 85 and a 92, both with the "deluxe" AWD/4WD system. If you're shopping, or looking, for capability close to those, as was/am I, then the HL nor the RX will not be even a close match.

I was hoping the RX330, with the new brake modulation AWD system, would bring it closer to the Jeep drivetrain standard, but now I have learned of a firmware "time-out", maybe as little as 45 seconds, to protect the ABS/VSC/Trac/AWD/BD/BA pump motor from being overtaxed and thereby over-heating.

At this point I will probably still buy an RX330, but will devise a ciruit so the pump motor can be more directly and but still automatically activated.

I will be buying the air suspension model and WILL be adding wheel spacers all around so snowchains can be safely used, if ever required.

Oh, my 78 911 Targa has been out on the west coast sandy beaches quite often, it's a [non-permissible content removed] cleaning out the sand afterwards from the wheelies...

Never bothered with tire pressures either.
  • stevtecstevtec Member Posts: 4
    That's easy. Once it starts snowing, it's pretty much snowy all winter long, right? So you can take your 2WD vehicle and put some good winter tires on it and even add chains if you want and you'll be doing just as well if not better than a 4WD/AWD vehicle w/o winter tires. In Finland (spent some time here on business), hardly ANYBODY has 4WD/AWD. Most cars are FWD, and when the snowy seasons starts they just put on studded tires. The Finns all have two sets of tires.

Here in the DC area the climate is a bit different. There could be 6 inches of snow to plow through one day, and completely dry the next. Nobody uses chains around here. Nobody uses winter tires either. You'll just rip them to shreds as soon as the roads are plowed in a day or so and then it's back to dry pavement. That's why AWD is useful around here. You can run a single set of tires that will work "okay" in all conditions and AWD gives you the extra traction when you need it.

But comments like these.....
    ========== wwest ==========
    "Neither the RX nor the HL have usefull AWD systems. There is just enough fluid in the VC to allow them to be marketed as AWD without incurring customer legal response.

HL is not AWD, not even close.
    Well, it really is, but only with good traction.

Your 4R could have made that trip safely in the worse snow/ice storm of the century, the HL wouldn't have gotten more than a block fromyour home."
    ========== /wwest ==========
    ...are pretty misleading, IMHO.

The HL/RX do "not have useful AWD systems"? Not useful to whom? Someobdy that needs to go boulder hopping??! image If that's what you mean, heavy-duty off road, then yes, I'll agree to that. But our HL's AWD system has handled mild to moderate duty off-roading just fine for us. Whether it's unplowed 6in snow roads, or fairly deep sand at the beach, its made it through it all.

A snow/ice storm of the decade (not century) just rolled through the mid-atlantic / northeast corridor this past winter, and my fiance was able to make it from the DC area to Pennsylvania WHILE IT WAS SNOWING/ICING just fine. Tons of 2WD cars were off the road and in fact I was begging and pleading for her to NOT make the trip but she insisted. AWD + VSC/TRAC worked just fine. And while my parents had their 2WD cars parked at the bottom of the hill-top development they live on, our AWD Highlander made it just fine all the way up the hill.

Now, could a 2WD with snow tires and possibly snow chains have done all this? Sure, I don't see why not. But we don't live in a climate where there is a regular and severe enough snowy season to actually warrant buying and planning for this equipment. Montana is a bit different. So is Finland.

If you're to the point where you're hitting this 45 second timeout on the VSC/TRAC, then you're already in it deep enough that you probably need a better AWD/4WD system anyways with either locking or limited slip diffs both front and rear. In that case, buy a Jeep. image Even on the beach, snow, and other bad weather, VSC/TRAC has never been working for more than an instant or two for us.

As for your Porsche on the beach...

My Maxima has 6.1in of ground clearance, performance biased tires, and an open-diff FWD setup. I could have made it out on the beach just fine too. After a rainstorm packing it all down. image The 5-6in deep completely dry and grainy stuff we cut through in the HL AWD would have gotten my Maxima stuck almost right away, and I bet it would have gotten your Porsche stuck too.

So anyways, maybe the HL/RX AWD system is "not useful" to you. But that doesn't mean that you can make a blanket statement about it claiming that it is in general "not useful" to all people. It's certainly been VERY useful to us both in getting my fiance to work through snow/ice when the entire city is shut down, and in having a little fun on the weekend also. image

- Steve
    that a simple FWD RX or HL with VSC/Trac wouldn't have done just as well??

And even I can tell you that a RWD RX or HL would have done all you asked.

Beach sand WAS dry and grainy, that's why so much of it ended up inside the car.

Grew up in NE Arkansas, mostly, fifth grade in Philly. Other than tractor and mules learned to drive in NH (and Goose Bay) in the USAF. Lots of experience negotiating in and around B47s and KC97s on an ice and snow covered ramp.

Then off to MT (and ND) for Boeing on the Minuteman project. Met my wife in MT and stayed over for a bit.

Settled in Seattle in 65.

My core feeling is that the AWD RX and HL are a waste of money over the FWD with VSC and Trac.
  • 243243 Member Posts: 6
    I am looking at the highlander / 4runner or lexus 330.. after all the extra's the toyota's aren't that far behind in price. I am leaning towards the lexus .. any comments.
    The only reason I know of to buy one of these is if you expect to encounter really adverse roadbed conditions this coming winter. It truly does have a 4WD, rear biased to boot, and enough suspension clearance for snowchains if needed.

If you expect to encounter this type of condition in an HL or RX then get the RX330 with air suspension (it has more rear tire/strut clearance) and add 1" wheel spacers all around so you can use snowchains safely.

The 4runner AWD/4WD system will not give up and leave you stranded on a snowy mountain pass some dark and stormy night.

The HL or RX might very well.
  • terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    This is kind of a unfair comparison. They are not for the same market. Toyota agrees with me otherwise they wouldn't be selling the two side by side.

The Highlander, imo, is like the Subaru Outback. AWD or FWD (both capable of good traction in incliment weather) and good cargo capacity. Designed for the, as Nissan would say, "On-road adventures".

The 4Runner is designed to be what the 4Runner always has been- legendary off-road. DSC, VDC, TC, XREAS, locking diff, 4hi, 4lo...I mean this ain't designed just for a snowy day to grandma's house!

The 4Runner is on a truck chassis. Rugged, tough frame for off-roading, live axle for articulation, more ground clearance, full array of skid plates, humongus 4 wheel disc brakes. The features are designed for things other than what the Highlander is. The 4Runner is a LEV vehicle and I assume the Highlander is too.
    Fortunately, the brilliant minds at Toyota also made the 03 4Runner so good ON-road that it's really a "do it all and do it all WELL" suv. That's what an suv should be right? Do everything. The 4Runner can do that.

BUT, you don't do "everything" and don't want to. The Highlander fills the bill. Car body, car ride and plenty of room. It gets great reviews and I'm sure they will continue with a new-improved generation Highlander to keep the success rolling.

Designed for two different markets. Both perfectly happy to do what they were designed to.
  • pwanghkpwanghk Member Posts: 1
    Greetings:

I am wondering if anyone here test drive or own both 2004 4Runner v6 sport edition and 2004 Highlander v6? If so, which one is punchier (more responsive) when passing other cars on the highway and which one is quieter?

Advance thanks for your feedback.

Paul
    the HL is more punchy at highway speeds, although the Runner is no slouch. Unfortunately, it was not quite a fair comparison in that regard, as the Runner was a 4WD, and the HL was a FWD.

4Runner is significantly quieter at highway speeds than the HL.

This discussion has been closed.