Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Silverado!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays:
5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    The chat sounds cool

Bad thing is i have school till 10pm mon tue and thursday till august.
  • mpalombompalombo Member Posts: 186
    Hello,

My name is Mark, I've been on the Avalanche board and the Silverado board for a few months. It's great to be able to get opinions and help from everybody when you need it and to offer it when I can.

My truck is a '00 3 door ext. cab Z71 LS. Its Dark carmine red on top and pewter on bottom with pewter flares. Its pretty much loaded, I didn't get an LT because I prefer cloth seats.

I hope to have my website back up soon!

Mark
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Here's my intro-
    Rick, own a '01 Silverado 2wd x-cab LS,5.3, dark carmine, lowered with Hotchkis coils and springs-2/4 drop, Stull billet grille inserts,billet bowtie emblem, bed rug, ARE hard cover, remote start,tinted door glass, deleted emblems.
  • dallas75dallas75 Member Posts: 72
    Jerry M. 1999 Z-71 X-Cab, Indigo Blue on top, Pewter on bottom. Westin CPS Platinum Step-Bars, Airaid Intake, APC Carbon Euro-TailLights, BFG AT's 285/16. Future Mods: Borla or PV catback exhaust, Weld EVO Rims.

Later all!
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 21
    Conrad R. own a 2001 LT 2WD X-Cab, 5.3L, Pewter, Smittybilt nerfs, Line-X UTR, Bushwacker Diamondback bed-rail caps, K&N air filter, HPIII, MagnaFlow muffler, seat covers(gotta protect the leather), R&D Acc.'s headlight module, Sylvania's Cool Blue headlamp bulbs. Future Mods: Looking at installing a PV cat-back system, power tailgate lock, looking at installing an Airaid, Volent or K&N intake system, still researching.

Valky
  • mrurlmrurl Member Posts: 116
    But I do have a Sierra, 5.3l, Excab, 3.73 rear locker, 4x2. Pretty maxed out with bucket seats (cloth) etc. With 17000+ miles I still love driving it. I've had it a little over 1 year.

More truck talk can be found at my website, www.gearheadsanonymous.com.

Peter
  • mtrammellmtrammell Member Posts: 125
    Been on the Silverado thread for almost 2 years now. Don't say much anymore, just laugh a lot listening to Ryan, Red, Quad and the rest.

I currently own a 2K 1500LS XCab 5.3/Auto Ride Control White over Pewter. Ordered a new 2500HD CC LS Duramax/Allison back in May. Order was accepted by GM on 6/7 and yesterday I got a TPW of 7/30. New one will also be white w/graphite interior. Options allow for two tone exterior paint, but GM still won't accept.

Mikey
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    Been on the Rado threads only a few months now. I just got an 01 Rado LS Z71 with ext cab power seats 5.3L 3.73 w/rear locker. Power seats, wheel flares privacy glass, electrochromatic rv mirror pretty much loaded! Only got about 1100 miles and LOVE the truck. My only complaint so far is an annoying squeak behind the drivers seat that Im still trying to figure out!

Nice to meet y'all. Hey Ryan! WHASSSUPPPP???!!!
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    It's summer! Summer is cars, trucks, beer, and gf; What are you doing in school? I made the same mistake; 112 semester hours in two years when I was working on my BSEE, but at least I had the excuse that I was married back then.
    -- Don
    I actually took a leave from one job so i have weekends off.
  • 87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    I've been around the Edmunds Silverado and pickup topics for about a year and a half. I don't post much but visit often.

I have a 2000 Silverado LS x-cab, longbed, 4.8 L auto, 2WD, 3.42 rear end with locker, Indigo Blue Metallic with Graphite cloth interior, delete carpeting.

I've added the following aftermarket items:
    ARE MX mid-high cap, color matched
    Duraliner under the rail bed liner
    Hidden Hitch Class III hitch
    Aluminum billet hitch cover
    Dee Zee Black Guardian cab length running boards with front mud flaps
    Plasticolor rear mud flaps
    Kraco mats
    Lund Interceptor bug guard
    WeatherTech vent visors
    OSI Swing Away hitch mount bike rack

I've had the truck since April '00 and now have about 25000 miles on it. It has required only routine maintainence and the Goodyear tires have a lot of life left on them.
  • michgndrmichgndr Member Posts: 160
    Hi. My name's Mark, and I drive a Silverado.

Actually, it's the best one. A lot of people add a lot of extra stuff to theirs, and change tires, and use Zaino, and all sorts of crazy things trying to have as cool a truck as mine, but it's pointless. :-)

'01 xcab Z71 Z82 locker 40/20/40 tan cloth

This one is the BEST

Ryan
    Yours looks kinda bent and scrunched up, and you got a big hunk of useless steel on the front. ;-)
    I use it to push the competition out of my way

Ryan
    Yeah, I remember some discussion about stuck vans and riding lawn mowers before I went on vacation.

BTW, my truck is Forest Green with scattered Japanese Beetle gut spots. Nice.
    mines blue with the front end (and front wheel wells) all muddy

Ryan
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    digital camera so I can keep up with Ryan...

LOL

Jim
  • thomasb2thomasb2 Member Posts: 5
    Hello everyone, my name is Tom.I live in southern N.H.I own a 2001 2500HD 4wd ext. cab long bed.I ordered it with the 6.0 auto,plow prep,tow package,LS package,aux. battery, bench seat,m/s tires(Firestones),locking diff.,electronic transfer case, and I had the carpet deleted for the rubber floor covering( I am very happy with this as I have three little boys under 8 years old), the color is Victory Red.
  • y2kz71y2kz71 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, I recognize some of the members from other forums but I am looking forward to having good discussions from this forum. I hope we can help each other out from time to time. I have a 2000 Chevrolet Silverado Z71.
  • mpalombompalombo Member Posts: 186
    I am also in New Hampshire, more south than you. I'm in Salem. I used to have a friend who lived in Farmington about 10 years ago. I have a 2000 1500 Z71 Ls Ext. cab. I love it, I've had it just over a year now. No major problems, a few minor ones.

Good luck with your truck.

Mark
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    bco here. been around the 'rado threads since the first one. haven't been around for awhile thanks to a new job and place to live, but i'll stop in occasionally. i have a '00 LS that i got in january of '00 (one of the first with four doors) with just about everything but power leather heated seats. add'l options include:
    bilstein shocks, westin cps nerfs, line-x under the rail spray-in, wade bed-rail caps, bazooka tube, 2 100 watt 6" audiobahns (front), 2 50 watt blaupunkt 4x6's in the rear, a 4x75w legacy amp, and a nice big scratch/dent on the passenger side rear flank (*&%#-ing parking garages!).

i do most maintanence myself and recommend my pictrail website to those interested in doing their's themselves too. i've also got some great maintenance documents on word, excel, and powerpoint that i'll be happy to send you if you sign my pictrail guest book.

bco
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    Kyle: It is good to see ya back. How is the new job going? Check in with your good comments when appropriate.
  • hihosilver2hihosilver2 Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased a '02 Siverado.... love it. I guess that I'll just keep watching for info in the hall that could be informative.
  • cwillisjcwillisj Member Posts: 8
    Here in Ohio's snow belt we measure the white stuff in feet, not inches. My 2001 Silverado 1500 4wd ext cab is ready for winter! With the 5.3L I get good gas mileage and it rides and handles like a big luxury car. Coupled with a good dose of common sense, I am looking forward to traveling around the country this winter.
    now all we need is snow (im from mw indiana)

Its been in the 50-60's lately :(
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    THE SNOWS ON IT'S WAY !
    WHEN?

Supposed to snow tues night but i am doubting that :(
  • cwillisjcwillisj Member Posts: 8
    Here in NE Ohio my Silverado and I are still patiently waiting for our first snow. Anxious, but not too anxious, to see how this beast does in winter conditions. I do like this mild weather so that I can keep my black beauty clean and free of the road salt. Some snow would be nice for Christmas. Happy Holidays!
    if it dont snow im going to where they make it.

Found a ski place up in michigan. Makes their own snow WOOHOO!!!
  • y2kgmcy2kgmc Member Posts: 23
    Hi, I'm Ed 2001 Silverado Ext. cab 2500HD LS 6.0 4.10 posi Indigo Blue with Ryanflares. had a 2000 GMC Sierra 4.8 that was POS.
    haha ryanflares NICE

sounds like a nice truck
  • grumpy558grumpy558 Member Posts: 7
    Brand new to the Silverado--Just purchased 02 Chev 3500 CC; Lt, 8.1/allison;dually;pewter--only 200 miles on it--hope everything stays straight with this truck.
    Plan on puting Lance camper on it in a couple of months--time to roam the USA--
    Stay Safe---
    grumpy
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Did you recently purchase or lease your first full-size pick-up truck? If so, The Wall Street Journal is curious about your experience with it, especially if you traded in a car for the truck. Please send your story directly to jfallon@edmunds.com. Please include the model truck you drive, your city and state of residence, and your e-mail address.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • boat10boat10 Member Posts: 59
    Purchased new '02 LS Silverado, 2wd, short box yesterday. Summit white, grey interior, 342 rear end, heavy duty suspension(X85), 255\70r16 tires, deep tinted glass, 4800 v8, automatic, and Aluminum wheels. Got terrific rebate. Listed for $24,489. Paid $18,300 out the door. Truck was only 9 days old. Had a '00 Buick Park Avenue on lease, GM PULL AHEAD program done it for me. I also have a '02 LT Trailblazer loaded (now belongs to the wife), she is much happier with the Trailblazer. All is HAPPY at my house now!!!!
  • seaboseabo Member Posts: 3

hometown@aol.com/seabo/myhomepage/auto.html
  • dan915dan915 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, my name is DannyJ and I'm new to edumds.com. I posted a message this morning, #2483. I hope to get a response soon. I signed on two weeks ago and have been reading everything I could about the Silverado. I've learned a lot. I'm looking forward to seeing more!
  • bowtieman1bowtieman1 Member Posts: 38
    Back to edmunds. Used to be here, left for a while, now Im back. Good to read info on silverados. Work in Automotive parts supply base. Also from NE Ohio. Waiting to see info on 4 dr on the true half ton platform.

cwillisj- what part of NE Ohio??
  • chevytexaschevytexas Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a new 1500 ext cab, and I am already having issues with terrible wind and road noise on the driver side only. If you sit on the passenger side, it rides like a quiet baby, if you are on the driver's side, you can hear cars coming up from behind you two car legths back! Very frustrating and aggravating...does anyone have any ideas????

Also, does anyone notice that when you open the glove box the first time after starting the engine, your cargo light indicator goes on!!! What is up with that??? Distracting to say the least! I tried this in two different ones with the same results...ideas???? flaw???
  • bowtieman1bowtieman1 Member Posts: 38
    First- check to make sure the rear door is latched firm. With the door closed, pull back and forth and see it it moves. If the door is not latched firmly with no movement you will get the wind noise even with the front door closed. The ext cab rear doors can be difficult to get completely latched, especially if it is cold. GM knows about the hard latch issue and has a repair procedure. A GM dealer should be able to tell you all about it if the problem continues. If this is not the problem check on the weather seals. make sure that they are in place and not out of position. GM is also famous for having weather seals that fall out, especially the one at the top of the drivers door.

Went out to my truck and opened the glove box. My cargo light did not come on. Do not have advise on that one. GO to the silverado/gmc hangout and post there. obyone may have an answer.
  • lrymallrymal Member Posts: 105
    My 2003 Silverado has no wind or road noise coming through any of the doors. I agree with bowtieman that the extended cab door on that truck's driver side is not completely closed, thus allowing noise entry.

I also checked for the cargo indicator lamp coming on when the glove box door was opened. Nope, didn't come on.
  • fishon1fishon1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 Liter V8 engine. It has 21,000 miles and is still under warranty,

I have recently noticed a valve knock / lifter noise that lasts about 5 to 10 seconds when I start it up cold.

I have mentioned this to my chevy dealer and was told that this is normal during cold starts and not to be concerned as it takes a few seconds
    for the oil to distribute.

I understand this, but to me this "metal on metal " noise sounds bad and I am concerned that it could lead to future problems after my warranty runs out.

Am I being too fussy and paranoid or do I have a legitimate concern ?
    Is there something that can be done ?
    Should I also document when I discussed this with my dealer ?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Am I being too fussy and paranoid or do I have a legitimate concern ? You have a legitimate concern.

Is there something that can be done ? Have the dealer document in writing that the cold start knock condition exists on your truck in case you do have future problems or GM comes out with a fix outside of your warranty period.

Should I also document when I discussed this with my dealer ? Absolutely, more details the better.
  • texsuntexsun Member Posts: 23
    Like #7, not a Silverado owner, but have been and would again if they change the front end....

I've been reading posts on the site since mid '98 while considering buying a 99 model.

Traded in a '97 'Rado, 2WD, EC, 4.6L, auto. Had the rear end seepage, dealer replaced rear end; tranny catastrophic failure at 48,000 - new tranny, traded in at 54,000 for a '99 GMC Sierra SLT 3 dr Ext Cab, C1500, loaded, 5.3L, 4sp auto, 3.42. Daughter now owns it and it's running great at 68,000 miles with no problems. And it has had the engine chatter since the first oil change.

Waited a year after the crew cabs came out to read the reviews, then went looking for a crew cab. Would have bought 'Rado or Sierra, but found the Sierra with the specs I wanted, an '02 GMC SLT 1500HD 2WD, loaded, 6.0, auto, 3.73 with rear locker - in white with neutral leather interior.

Pretty much stock except for installing the K&N Generation II FIPK. I've noticed 1-2 mpg improvement, but the HP gain was phenomenal. I average 13-15 city/14-16 hwy. When towing a 4400 lb Trail-lite, drops to 12-14 hwy. Next project later this month is to install Flowmaster 70 series duals, then I'll work on dressing it up.

Have had the engine chatter since first oil change. Hasn't affected performance, so I just keep reporting it at each service. And the front-end knock during hard right/left turns when parking. Lube normally fixes it. Currently at 25,000 and rolling strong.

See you on the boards. Bud
  • hopster1hopster1 Member Posts: 14
    Looking at a 2000 1500 LT Ext Cab Short Bed,5.3 V8, Z71 suspension, 4.10 Rear axle, K&N Air filter, Jet Black, Leather Heated Seats.

The thing drives great but what kind of gas mileage should I expect? Should I be aware of any possible problems??

Thanks in Advance.

Hopster1
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    That is my truck except in white and has 3.73 rear. My mileage over 36k miles has ranged from 10 mpg to 18 mpg. Love the power.. No trouble except a bad plug fixed under warranty at 3k miles. Others have reported various problems with 2WD versions.
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    I have the same set up as that truck including the K&N air filter, but my truck has the 3.73 locker in the rear. So far with probably about 75% hiway driving i average somewhere between about 15-17.
  • 69vetteguy69vetteguy Member Posts: 1
    Hello everybody. I have followed the discussion for a while and found everyone really helpful when "issues" with my truck occur.

2000 Silverado ex. cab Z71 5.3(what an engine!) Black/Grey....getting larger tires in a couple of weeks.
  • due39due39 Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I am Duey from Montana. Just got a 1999 Silverado. Charcoal Grey, X Cab, Short Box 4x4 and 5.3 engine. I just love the truck. Drives great, great power. great looking. I had a 1991 Nissan Pickup, Nissan was OK around town, but stinks on the highway. Only one thing I have, When driving on a rough road I can hear a rattle, sounds like it's coming from the front wheel, if I step on the brake a little, it seems to go away. Could something be loose in the front Brake caliper?? Thanks if anyone can help.Thanks Duey
This discussion has been closed.