Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• oddsey_2014oddsey_2014 Member Posts: 4
    vehicle selling price: 40,250 + sales + tag+ documentation fee = 42k i paid

Is this a good price ?

Honda care extended warranty for 1560$
    also got Honda service plan for 1050$

are these good price as well ?
  • bwilson4bwilson4 Member Posts: 7
    When looking at a Honda, please be advised of the oil consumption issue that has led to a class action suit in October 2103 with details at http://settlement-claims.com/enginemisfire/. I have a 2010 Odyssey that consumed 3.85 quarts of oil through the dealership’s oil consumption test. Honda did a computer upgrade, but it still consumed 1.5 quarts in less than 4,000 miles. The official word from Honda was relayed to me 11/4/13 by a service manager at Classic Honda in Streetsboro, Ohio: Honda does not feel my issue warrants repairs at this time even though it has 53K miles and is still covered by the power train warranty. In other words, they indirectly told me to buy oil in bulk and deal with the issue myself. This settlement will reimburse customers for previous expenses and extend the power train warranty to 8 years, but they do not seem willing to actually fix the problem for me. Bottom line, this settlement proves to me that Honda was well aware of the issue with the 6 cylinder VCM engines for a long time, and now they do not feel the need to stand behind the product they sold me. I wish I had bought a Toyota or Chrysler. Buyers beware!
    When looking at a Honda, please be advised of the oil consumption issue that has led to a class action suit in October 2103 with details at http://settlement-claims.com/enginemisfire/. I have a 2010 Odyssey that consumed 3.85 quarts of oil through the dealership’s oil consumption test. Honda did a computer upgrade, but it still consumed 1.5 quarts in less than 4,000 miles. The official word from Honda was relayed to me 11/4/13 by a service manager at Classic Honda in Streetsboro, Ohio: Honda does not feel my issue warrants repairs at this time even though it has 53K miles and is still covered by the power train warranty. In other words, they indirectly told me to buy oil in bulk and deal with the issue myself. This settlement will reimburse customers for previous expenses and extend the power train warranty to 8 years, but they do not seem willing to actually fix the problem for me. Bottom line, this settlement proves to me that Honda was well aware of the issue with the 6 cylinder VCM engines for a long time, and now they do not feel the need to stand behind the product they sold me. I wish I had bought a Toyota or Chrysler. Buyers beware!
  • stallion_vstallion_v Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2013
    Dealers sell it at a much higher price.
    I got it at similar prices but contacted
    Www.Collegehillshonda.com
    lynn@collegehillshonda.com
    And got care @ 840 and maintenance @ 735 4yr/48k

This after research. There are others as well like sacchuchi

They will help you cancel your current contracts and get these new ones,
    Hope this help you save some greens
  • teej2010teej2010 Member Posts: 4
    So far I have gotten numbers in the same range. $37,xxx (including destination). Have only gotten a few dealers to detail those offers.
  • jojo333111jojo333111 Member Posts: 1
    Honday Odyssey EX-L with RES in NY

35773.58 price
    21310 residual

489/month

paying Docs/DMV/1st payment/Bank Fee up front
  • pristine11pristine11 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2013
    Vehicle selling price: 38300 (includes destination fee)
    -$500 flex cash financing through Honda (seems to be dealer specific)
    OTD: 40768.52 (6% sales tax)
    I should have had you do the negotiating for me. I am at $500 more.
    38,800 for Touring (includes destination)
    No flex because I skipped the Honda financing
    I got a few extras with a x-bars, roof rack and cargo tray, but i prefer your price!!
    That is lower than my deal by about 700 bucks. I think it is pretty good.
  • md_odysseymd_odyssey Member Posts: 1
    I am from the Maryland area. This seems to be a very good price.
    Can you give us more details?

Was the OTD price exactly 42K?
    Do you need to finance to get this price?
    Did the dealer apply any special incentives such as new grad, military etc.?
    Can you share the dealer name with us?

Thank you very much for sharing this.
  • hshunterhshunter Member Posts: 9
    What dealership did you get that price? I'm also looking for EX-L in NY.
  • boulterboulter Member Posts: 1
    Purchased: 11-8-13
    Dealer: Bernardi Honda, Natick, MA
    Trim: 2014 Honda Odyssey, EX-L
    Vehicle Price: $32,199 (including destination and wheel locks)
    Doc fee: $353
    Dealer installed accessories: $695 for ResistAll
    State Tax @ 6.25%: $2056
    Registration fee: $125
    Flex Cash: -$500
    No trade in
    OTD Price: $34,927

I think I did well, at least better than what TrueCar's best price was.
  • underdubunderdub Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

Purchased: 10/28/13
    Dealer: Freeman Honda, Dallas TX
    Trim: 2014 Honda Odyssey, Touring in Modern Steel Metallic (Gray)
    Vehicle Price: $38,219 (including destination and accessories)
    All fees: $341
    Dealer installed accessories included in price: Wheel locks, door edge guard, cargo tray.
    State Tax 6.25%: $2388
    OTD Price: $40,950

I think I could have pushed and gotten it down another $500 or so, but I had been shopping for a long time, and it wasn't worth the stress. At the time, this was a very good price in my area.

As a reminder, beware of the finance office. I caught them in several actual lies, "typo's" and one case of the finance manager coming in to "see if he could save me some money" and also sell me "value protection" aka an extended warranty. He lowered the interest rate by .25%, and changed some of the sales numbers. When I refused the deal, they raised the interest rate back to 1.9%, but left all of the inflated numbers. The regular finance lady just pushed it through and kept asking me to sign before I could review the document. "I don't want to take up any more of your time." Thankfully, I took the time to carefully review and do all the math and found the inflation. It was about $1800, and was surprisingly well hidden because of the down payment and document layout.

Hope this helps!
  • bostonqtbostonqt Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2013
    Purchased: 11-10-13
    Dealer: Bernardi Honda, Natick, MA
    Trim: 2014 Honda Odyssey EX
    Vehicle Price: $29,392 (including destination)
    Doc fee: $352
    Dealer installed accessories:none
    State Tax 6.25%: $1837
    Registration fee: $100
    Flex Cash: -$500
    OTD Price: $31,181

This was based on the "internet special" quote, which was only a few dollars less than the TrueCar price.
  • runnerlancerunnerlance Member Posts: 3
    Purchased 11/05/2013 at Ball Honda in National City
    2014 EX-L w/ Navigation in Smoky Topaz w/ Truffle interior
    Price included door edge guards, wheel locks, trunk mat, splash guards
    $35,148 (invoice + $830 for destination)
    $2,818.24 Sales tax (8%)
    $80 Doc Fee
    $20 Electronic filing fee
    $228 License
    $97 Registration
    $8.75 CA tire fee

$38,399.99 OTD, drive off cost.

Dealer secured financing at 1.49% x 66 months through my preferred credit union. This price was the best offer I found among the 4 different dealers I talked with, but I am a prior customer at Ball Honda and was told that is why they met my request to sell at invoice + destination. It was a good experience and I found the staff helpful (my thanks to Chris, Jose, and Jim in finance). Maybe I could have saved a few more bucks, but at the end of the day, my wife loves the car and we feel we were treated very fairly.
  • czar8878czar8878 Member Posts: 9
    Finally bought the 2014 black exterior/gray interior EX-L. Here's the breakdown of what I paid:
    $32,825 baseprice incl. $830 D&H
    $249 Doc fees
    $2300 Sales Tax
    $401 DMV fees
    $7 - tire tax
    - $500 Flex Cash (did financing to get this)
    Total of $35,282 OTD price
    Got free wheel locks along with this price.
    - Paid separately for $125 for Cargo tray.
    -Also got the 8 year/120K $0 deductible Honda Care extended warranty for $1400. Got a separate quote from another Honda dealer for $1345 mentioned in this forum but really liked this dealership so not going to change it through another dealer most likely.
    - Got free oil change and car wash for life (take it for what's it worth, but their lounge for customer wait et al. is on par with Acura dealerships so will be taking the car to service there)

Another point to mention, although my OTD was $35,282 and a decent deal (at least from what I have read here) I also had another internet quote from another dealer (a bit far away from where I am) for $34,950 OTD and didn't had the color in stock. I thought this dealership absolutely terrific in service and dealing with the customer and hence didn't hesitated to pay them few bucks more. Manager was a no BS guy when it came to pricing and sales person was extraordinary with his service, even dropped the new car to my home!

Good luck to everyone in their hunt!
  • gethonda1gethonda1 Member Posts: 2
    That's a good deal...free oil change and car wash for life --> is this mean as long as you own the car?.

Can you please share the dealer name?
  • czar8878czar8878 Member Posts: 9
    Yep, as long as I own the car get the oil change/car wash. This is Honda of Princeton dealership
  • pbunzpbunz Member Posts: 3
    Got a quote $43800 OTD in Houston, TX area. Accessories including window tint, wheel locks, cargo tray, splash guards. Is this a good deal ? Not sure if I should wait til around Dec for better deal. What do you guys think?
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    i think people aren't going to take the time to break down the deal for you. What is the actual purchase price of the vehicle and what add-ons were included in the OTD price? Sales tax, dealer fees and other added expenses affect the deal significantly...
  • pbunzpbunz Member Posts: 3
    Sales Price $40,000.00
    Destination $830.00
    Sales Tax (6.25%) $2,500
    Inventory Tax $150.00
    Title/Reg. fee $131.00
    Doc. Fees $189.00
    Drive Out $43800

Add-ons included were mentioned in previous post, which are window tint, wheel locks, cargo tray, splash guards.

What do you think?
  • wongster12wongster12 Member Posts: 1
    I am ready to get the Touring Elite at Spreen but the price is so much lower than every other dealership. Can you share your experience? Did they try to switch and bait you? Or was it fairly painless?
    Your price seems to be $618 below invoice plus some free options, so call it $1k under. I've seen TE deals on here for $2k under but they included flex cash of $500. The best price I've been offered is 39.3k including freight and flex cash (effectively $1500 less than yours). I'd wait until the end of the month and hit him for another grand plus flex. There aren't many buyers Thanksgiving weekend so it's historically a good time. IMHO, the best time is Christmas week...empty dealerships and year-end closeout. I will probably hit my local dealer again on the 26th and let him know I'll be driving past all the NO VA dealers enroute to Thanksgiving in NY. That's usually good enough for a few hundred off.
  • shineenushineenu Member Posts: 2
    Can you let me know the dealership in dc area providing $37,xxx (including destination) - please? I'm getting $39,5xx including destination. Thanks!
  • an_01an_01 Member Posts: 1
    2014 EXL-RES in Modern Steel Metallic:
    Price $34,500 (including destination charge, roof rack and cross-bars as add-ons, and minus Flex Cash). Also got the 6 year/100K $0 deductible Honda Care extended warranty for $1400.

This message board is incredibly helpful and I wouldn't have secured the deal that I did without the available research and buying experiences. Thanks to everyone for sharing.
  • jason143jason143 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a new Odyssey EX 2014 in Maryland on Nov 16th 2013.

Vehicle price: 28771.75 (including the destination)
    Title: 144
    Electronic Registration: 20
    Sales tax (6%): 1738.25
    License fee: 187
    Dealer processing fee: 199
    Financing: 5000 (0.9% interest) through Honda Finance to qualify for the $500 flex rebate
    Out-to-door price: 31060-500 (flex) =30560
    Included free accessories: fenderwell trim, door guards, splash guards, and wheel locks.
  • senmunsenmun Member Posts: 9
    Is this price with or without trade-in? Please provide the dealer name.

Have you by any chance got quote for EX-L?
    I got mine for 42K out of door. I did not cared what the sale price was and what service charges were. I wanted out of door for that much and I got it. Do not buy maintenance and care from them as they give you at higher price I am trying to cancel mine and get it from

Www.Collegehillshonda.com
    lynn@collegehillshonda.com
    Yes it was exactly 42k.

There was no grad, military incentive on this.

He gave me 500$ for doing financing with him.

I also took honda care and maintenance with them and that is pissing me off as they charge double on those 2 and now i am finding it difficult to cancel them. So I paid around 1500$ extra on those.
  • jason143jason143 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2013
    No trade-in. No rebate.
  • senmunsenmun Member Posts: 9
    Please provide the dealership name.
  • pavanvpavanv Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Is this in Northern VA region and is this the OTD price or just the price of the car and then added sales tax, title, tags and any dealer processing fees? I got a quote of $34,320 + taxes + processing fees etc. but I do not know about any extra accessories. This is for EX-L RES.

Please let me know.
  • butterfliesbutterflies Member Posts: 15
    Hi,

can you please email me the dealer's and the sale man?
    my email is butterflies105@yahoo.com

Thank you,
  • sunilgsunilg Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring with Celestial Blue exterior and Gray interior yesterday for $40,637 OTD in Bay Area (Avery Green Honda in Vallejo, CA). Sales price was $37,107 plus tax. Included splash guards, wheel locks and door edge protectors. The sales person was Don Tolentino. Good guy. Got the 1.9% APR for 60 months.

He actually gave me a price of 36,607 plus tax but could not give me the 1.9 APR. So, we went with the 37,107 offer. We probably could have gotten it a bit cheaper at another dealership but they did not have the color we wanted. We did not take any extended warranties. I had to drive about 200 miles to get it, but totally worth it, as the local dealers were asking for $2000+ more. We are totally happy with the purchase.

SG
  • infiniti11infiniti11 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    I'm negotiating with a dealer and the price we are at now is 27,195 for 2011 EX-L with 36,000 miles on it. It also a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle. Is that a fair price or should I try to knock it down further? Whats the best way to negotiate with dealers over email if I want to knock it down further?
  • bastonbaston Member Posts: 4
    SG, can you give a breakdown of the $37,107 OTD price? Also, you mentioned that you could have gotten it a bit cheaper at another dealership, which one is that?

Thanks.
  • ktlubbersktlubbers Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

We are looking at buying the 2014 (because apparently there aren't any 2013 EXL's left in Ca) Odyssey EXL w/out res or navi and was quoted $35k without taxes and license and another quote for $32,775 (without navigation or res). We live in Orange County, Ca - Can I ask you where you got this price for the EX-L w/Res plus the 250k warranty? It appears to be SO much better than what we are seeing, thank you!
    I just bought my fifth Odyssey yesterday. I previously owned three TEs and an EX before Touring models existed. Although I looked hard at the Touring and Elite, I couldn't see the extra $4-6K in value over the EX-L Nav. I bought the van at Priority Honda in Hampton and they were fantastic with two exceptions: First, the Doc fee was $599! Sick! Second, the finance manager tried to sell me a "Platinum Protection Package" that would have bumped the monthly payment $150 for 60 months! That makes the cost was $9,000! I hope very few people fall for it. With Honda financing 60 months at 1.9%, the numbers were:

MSRP: $38455
    Invoice: $35,223
    Sales Price: $34,222
    Less Flex Cash: $500
    Doc fee: $599

So, actual cost was $34,321 plus TTL with free cargo mat thrown in. the deal also includes lifetime engine warranty and free oil chnages for life.

I received reasonable value for my trade in...more than Car Max but less than Edmunds T/I value.
  • yarby03yarby03 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase a Honda Oddys 2014 Touring Elite. I have been quoted a sales price of 40,039 without tag/title/tax…(Milwaukee Area) Dealer said "drive off price" would be approx. 42,743

Is this a good deal??
    You can buy a new EX-L for about $4k more. So, why would you think of buying one that is already three years old? If you buy the new one, you'll make up for it in higher value at trade-in and through better standard features (e.g. 6-speed transmission). If I were looking at a 2011, I'd expect at least 25-30% off original MSRP ($24-25ish).
  • carstwocarstwo Member Posts: 6
    Anyone bought a TE 2014 in the NY/CT/NJ area recently? What are your experiences/ price break downs and dealership? TIA

Got quoted the following price for 2014 Touring Elite: selling:$43188 + fees + NY tax 8.125%= $47094 OTD incl roof rack, cross bars, mats, and splash guards.
  • hshunterhshunter Member Posts: 9
    Just picked up my 2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L with navigation. Here is my breakdown:

$34125 -vehicle
    $75 -doc fee
    $12.50 -Tire waste fee
    plus tax and dmv fee

I think I got a good deal?
    I bought my EX-L Navi last week. The purchase price was $33,722 with the $500 flex cash deducted and rear cargo mat thrown in. However, I paid a ridiculous $599 doc fee. I think the best I could have done was about $400 better, but my trade-in allowance was strong.

Bottom line: I think you did very well.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns a 2013-14 Honda Odyssey, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 13, 2013, for use in a print publication. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, December 11, for a copy of the survey.
  • kinetix16kinetix16 Member Posts: 1
    We're getting ready to buy our first real car (rest have been highschool/college cars, under $2000 in value).

We want to get a Honda Odyssey 2010, we found a great deal but the car facts showed its had an accident.

It's an EX-L, Leather, RES, 40k~ miles.

Considering the accident, how much should we be offering? There price seems just under what it would be w/o accident, but I'm thinking they're asking price is high now.

Thanks!
  • luphamlupham Member Posts: 4
    Just bought the 2014 Odyssey EX through the Costco car program. Their price around here is Invoice price, but the dealer had a special for Black Friday and the price was 942 below Invoice. Price before TTL was 29264. No financing, trade-ins, or other warranty purchases. Not a fantastic deal, but not bad, considering this was a no haggle, 5 minute deal - call, get price. Come in, give driver's license, insurance paperwork (had to wait a couple hours for the color vehicle we wanted to be transferred from another dealer - free of charge), come back and pay for it, and drove it home. Nice, easy, and decent pricing without any headaches, increased blood pressure, or aggrevation.
  • pricewpricew Member Posts: 18
    After lot of looking best deal I found in Plano, Frisco, Dallas area = Base 32,600 + ttl

with (Includes Destination and Handling and Dealer Added Equipment. Equipment consists of: Honda splash guards, Honda cargo tray, window tint, door/edge molding and Honda wheel locks)

Thanks
  • odyssey72odyssey72 Member Posts: 1
    1) Is this a good price for 2014 Odyssey EX-L with Navi in the Los Angeles area / Southern California area?

$34,150 (includes destination) Less $500 (Honda financing) = Net $33,650 Plus tax and license

2) Also, seeking recommendation for extended warranty 7/100,000 or 8/120,000

3) Pls advise where to check for inventory availability online. Was advise production is limited and prices may go up in Jan 2014. Is this true?

Thanks!
    I think $33,650 is a very good price. I paid $33,722 with a free cargo mat last week. I figure that I could have done about $400-500 better, but the trade-in allowance was strong. Speaking of trade-in allowance, that and other factors are probably the biggest determinants of whether or not you got a good deal. The best price for a new car is easily offset by low trade-in allowances or overpriced add-ons.