Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What you would want in the next Tundra...

natureboy1natureboy1 Member Posts: 55
edited March 2014 in Toyota
What you would want in the next Tundra...

Comments

• jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Full size.
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    regular doors for the back. The current ones create a trap you if parked next to another car
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    • A much more comfortable rear seat.
    • A 5-speed automatic.
    • A 5-speed manual on the V8.
    • On-Demand-Full-Time 4WD like that of the Sequoia.
    • More adventurous (and less derivative) styling.
    • More clever and useful features such as:
    —A tailgate that folds out and down to become a loading ramp.
    —Storage pockets in the rear fenders like the Chevy Avalanche.
    • A 3/4 ton model added.
    • Offer an 8' bed with the extended cab.

Bob
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    You can have ALL of those features on GM trucks, just not ALL on the same model. And that's the way it will have to be. One truck cannot be all things to all people. I would not buy an on-demand-full-time-awd system. Part-time 4wd is better for trucks. For sport utes, you could argue otherwise. To the extent that Tundra styling is derivative of Tacoma styling, I agree, although I don't think either looks that bad.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I wish they would use real metal rather than that chinese mystery metal they use. I think the truck would be real sweet then.
    I disagree. There's no reason at all why the things I suggested won't (or can't) happen on one vehicle.

It's up to customers to demand those items, if that's what they want. There are no "technical" or "engineering" reasons why they can't occur. It's nothing more than a marketing issue.

When I said "derivative styling," I wasn't referring to the Tacoma. Instead I was referring to the fact that Toyota borrowed heavily upon the Ford F-150 for visual inspiration.

Bob
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Dang. Have a hard time telling the two apart at a distance. But the fact that they wanted to initially name it the T-150 leads me to believe otherwise. I hope Toyota didn't think Ford would had let them get away with that.
    Certainly the Tundra has a family resemblance to the Tacoma. But it also "borrowed" a lot of Ford styling/feature cues too.

It has a rear locking tailgate latch that's almost identical to that found on the F-150's. The general profile and front end bear a (poor) but similar feeling as the F-150. The center pod (heater & radio control housing) on the instrument panel has an almost "ovoid" design similar to that found on the Ford Taurus of a couple of years ago. Clearly Toyota designers have been looking over Ford designer's shoulders.

Bob
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    cheaper price... less gas guzzling motor...
  • tavgradtavgrad Member Posts: 201
    full size:
    Doors, seats, appearance, bed.
    y'know, to justify the full size price.

exterior looks are okay. Looks better than the chevy (sorry).

dash and panel is just too damn hokey. More guages, buttons.

I wish it was not so americanized. COlumn gear shifter should be on the floor next to the levers. Column shifter should be optional.
  • chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    lol
    oh man this is the funniest thing I ever read, first I agreed with you, then I though you were crazy to not like Chevy styling, then I just had to laugh, a floor shifter on a pickup lol then it really will be a camry with a pickup bed.
  • pboltspbolts Member Posts: 13
    From what I,ve been reading, a Tundra "double cab"
    will not be available until the fall of 2003.
    The "double cab" of course being, four full size front hinged doors very similar to the Tacoma Double cab configuration.
    I don,t recall the article stating what the exact wheelbase or bed length will be, but more then likely it will share the same wheelbase as the current Tundra and end up with a bed length of slightly less than six feet.
    So in about 24 months, this is what I'm hoping to see in the Sunday paper:

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab, SR5 4x4 5spd manual, 4.7L V-8, LS rear end , disc brakes front and rear, towing package and maybe some nice other suprises from the clever Toyota engineers.
    The "Hot" market for a crew cab configuration is here right now TOYOTA MOTOR CORP , so please come out with a Tundra Double cab that was worth the wait.
    clever toyota engineers, they may have good engineers but they are not clever, they go by the old japanese philosophy-steal all designs copy everyone. ie. F150 = tundra/T-150
  • natureboy1natureboy1 Member Posts: 55
    I have read evidence (from more than once source) that the F150 was "inspired" by the Toyota T100... Just think about it for a second. The T100 came before the "new" Ford, the "new" Chev, and even the "new" Dodge. Before the T100, all of these trucks were basically "square boxes". I had a T100 and I loved it, and I know there a great many people out there who basically thought this truck was a joke, but agree or disagree, the T100 was in my opinion the first truck out there with any real amount of distinctive style...

All of sudden here comes the 1996 F150 with its rounded corners and sloped down and curved hood. You'd be lying to yourself if you don't believe Ford took some styling cues from Toyota when designing this truck... They took some ideas from the 1994 Ram, but the T100 was definitely on their minds as well.
    You have got to be kidding. The T100 was Toyota's most miserable flop.
    lol
    yeah ford copied the crappiest pickup in history
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    What do you think it is a sports car?

Trucks dont have floor shifters (other than the 4wd)
    I was trying to think of a good reason but I couldn't its just that isnt the way it is suppose to be. lol
    yes, i said floor shifter! the shifter is on the floor when it's manual transmission, why not as an automatic? (Import pickups have console floor shifters.) I have also a 1994 T100 4x4 with the manual, and it does not take up any space! and forget that push button 4x4 crap! put the 4x4 levers back down there where they freaking belong!

natureboy is right about the copying thing. All domestic p'ups were styleless and boxy looked alike, ram being the ugliest until 1994.

I know this does not settle well you traditionalists, but being that trucks are getting even more popular than ever, style must come into play. And that does not mean add more chrome.
    I always liked the T-100 (with the 3.4L engine, 5-speed, extended cab, and 4x4). My neighbor has one just like that, and loves it. It hasn't caused him a bit of trouble, and fits his needs perfectly.

Bob
    rsholland that is the exact kind i have, too. Gave me NO problems since I had it for the past 6 years. Unfortunately, my needs have outgrown it.
    A crew cab would do, but I can't wait for two more years.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    The F150 copied the T-100. The Tundra is an evolution of the T-100.

Column shifters make more since for an automatic especially for those people that are sitting in the center postion of the front seat or in some trucks, the only seat.

Things to add to Tundra:
    a 3/4 or 1 ton model to haul more weight
    extended-cab long bed model
    extended cab that is worth something
    bigger gas tank as option for those camping trips
    optional towing mirrors AKA Ford F-250
    built-in towing packages with 7-plug harness
    60/40 seats for all models
    choice of seats without armrest
    all vinyl material on types of configurations
    regular cab V8 2WD
    manual for the V8
    a bigger V8 to accomodate bigger truck
    a diesel as an option
    a base V8 model
    Column shifters as standard on regular cab with automatics, floor shifters optional on extended cabs with automatics. Is that better?

-An extended cab with no suicide doors (like the little tacoma), convential doors that swing out (like supercrew or that all new dodge ram)
    -Fender flares that look better. The ones in front don't even connect to the front bumper.
    -It's got great ground clearance and space in the wheelwells. It needs LARGER tires.
    -
    Maybe you could answer this for me. I know no one else can but do you know what the largest size tire you can fit under a tundra TRD (no mods).

On my silverado the largest i can fit is 285/75/R16 (some other sizes will fit like 305 something but they will rub slightly)

Thanks

Ryan
  • tjparkertjparker Member Posts: 25
    "The F150 copied the T-100. The Tundra is an evolution of the T-100."

They're both copies (and not particularly inspired copies at that) of the 1960 Studebaker Champ Pickup, which is still an attractive truck today. Trouble is, the new trucks look like a cross between the Studebaker and a bottom-dwelling, mud-sucking catfish, particularly the F-150 when viewed from the side.
    Seriously, I was thinking the same thing. I didn't post it because I didn't think anyone here would remember that truck from the early '60s. No question, the Champ and the T-100/Tundra all share that same soft rounded look. Here's a link to Studebaker trucks:

http://studeo.tripod.com/ov.htm

Glad I'm not the only geezer on this forum! :)

Bob
    you got a point, tjparker. However, chevy didn't even attempt to take a big chance on their redesign. At least ford made an effort.

ryan, 305s might be able to do it, but i would have to verify that. here in LA, I've seen quite a few tundras drive by with beefies and not appearing to be lifted. Chevy's don't have much space in the wheelwells, that's why when you see them with 305-33's, they have some rancho lift on it. My old T100 has 33's with only a 1.5" lift. If a tacoma can have 33's, why not a tundra?
    Let me get back to you on that. email me to remind me.
  • tjparkertjparker Member Posts: 25
    I find it nice to know, also, that *I'm* not the only one hung up on old designs!

Seriously, though I don't like the looks of the F-150, I do like the heavier pickups from Ford. Trouble is, they're all too thirsty for my taste. I'll probably just keep using my 1960 VW Singlecab for hauling.

Have always wanted one of the Stude Champs in 4x4, though...
  • joeltranejoeltrane Member Posts: 25
    I'd like to see a reg cab, 2wd, v-8 with a stick.

I also have to agree with natureboy. I feel that Ford did have the T100 lines in mind when they redesigned the F150. And.. when looking to market a new truck, the T150 would have been a natural progression. I guess Ford thought it was all about them. Too bad.

Obyone, I agree that the T100 (unfortunately) was a flop. But you wouldn't believe the number of people who busted my chops about my T100 looking like an F150, even after I explained to them that the T100 was in production several years before the latest F150.

Chevtruck_fan: Ford copied the crappiest truck in history. What's that supposed to mean??? Just because the T100 didn't appeal to the American market(i.e. flopped), doesn't mean it's a crappy truck. My T100 meets my needs nicely. Never(not yet anyway) had a problem, starts right up everytime I get in it, and does just what I ask it to do.

take care all,
    jab
    joeltrane, here in LA, i have no one razzing my T100. All say it's a fine truck they admitted that it met intermediate needs. Most of friends and neighbors always asked me to help them move or pick up stuff at the home depot, etc. It defininitely was not enough to win any Big "3" (now 2 1/2) full size fans.
    I outgrew the T100 and now I need something with full size seating, without having a 4' bed. This month I'm taking my T100 and my mommy mall hauler to shop for a pickup. I seriously looked at the tundra, but the rear seating steered me away. My son is growing like a weed, and he will outgrow the rear before my payments are done.

My Wish list: a crew cab, interior, an aggressive interior with more more more, 5 sp. auto, 17" tires and rims (at least an option), and wider stance (for my larger friends). Everything else is fine. If they can do that by the redesign, I'll get another toyota.
  • duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    ...last year - I'd like them to keep the styling the same for a LONG time. Can't stand radical redesign every 4-5 years that tells everybody that I'm driving an "old" truck! Believe this helps with resale value as well. I tend to keep mine ten years or so - yes, that's a bit long to ask.

So they can add all the options you've been talking about and come out with an HD model - and get rid of that stupid bleep horn. As long as the body style remains essentially unchanged, I'll remain loyal.
    will mean that your trucks resale value went out the door.
    is a grill change here, larger fender flares there, the most is a redesigned dash. Look at the tacoma: same platform since 1994 (as 1995), and they call the 2001 a redesign.
    but then again...being that toyota is playing catchup with the competitiors, and have to in order to keep loyal consumer base...

ducky, it will change, so get ready to trade up in '05. Otherwise, you should have gotten a chevy, where they redesign every 15 years.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Look at the sales figures for compact pickups. While the Ranger sells many more pickups - Tacoma has passed up the S10 in sales. I hardly call this "playing catchup".

I don't think when the Tacoma came out in '94 they thought that it would pass up Chevy. Give the Tundra a few more years.
    Bama states,"Give the Tundra a few more years"....hmmm...to go the way of the T100? Cause if history is any indicator...well you know where it's heading cause Toyota is close...but they still didn't get it right.
    I'm sure the Chevy die hards said the Tacoma would go away. Now the S-10 is sucking wind.

Explain to me how Chev "got it right"? Your Hyundai Lemonado has been in the shop 4 months. This is getting it right?
    S-10 is sucking wind? S-10s are great trucks. I also think tacomas are very good trucks too they both can take alot of abuse and still keep going. I think the tacoma is more of a truck than the tundra is

Have you heard about the colorado? Itll be more tundra sized.
    Yes the S-10 is sucking wind.

S-10 sales YTD are DOWN 26.2%
    Tacoma sales YTD are UP 11.7%
    ok ok enough sales figs ok

I am just trying to say the S-10 is a good truck

But this will go around and around i know so ill leave it at this
    Bama,
    the tacoma outsells the s-10, huh? Well, let's put this into perspective. They have been competing with the COMPACT pickup scene for a long time, and it has earned its place as a competent COMPACT pickup arena. We are talking unchartered territory here for toyota. CONSUMER FULL SIZE!
    So guess what? They are playing catch up.
    Toyota has also another contender to worry about: nissan. Their full size will be due in '04. The domestics (and their loyal fans) laugh at this. Nissan makes excellent trucks, but they get shadowed by toyota in everything. I don't doubt that nissan will come out with something that will blow the tundra away. toyota shines and stays in the top selling list with their reputation for reliability and longevity only.
    the colorado will be just what chevy needs, because the compact pickups from gm are just....blah.
    yea they are blah

nissan pickup will probably be to "futuristic" look at the frontier
    Not exactly uncharted - the T100 has been around since '93. Granted - it wasn't a sales success, but it had two fatal flaws - the lack of a V8 engine option, and it was too expensive. Both of these flaws have been cured by the Tundra.

No doubt they are playing catch up, but their Tundra sales are up 2% since last year when most Big2 pickup sales are down. They are slowly capturing marketshare.

Toyota built a brand new factory two years ago in Indiana. Since then, that factory is producing 250,000 SUVs and pickups per year. I would call that a huge success.
    bama, I don't think that the T100 was classified as full sized, but intermediate (if there is a classification in autos).
    Providing it w/ the Lexus V8 back then, despite the smaller size, it would have had a better chance. tundra is a far cry better than the t100, but it still is not enough to woo any body who is considering chevy (ford, maybe). i'm trading up my t100, but unfortunately, not for a tundra. maybe in the redesign.

And by the way ryanbab...i checked about larger tires like 35's on the TRD...3 professionals told me that you have to lift it if you go offroad. Maybe opting for wider rims...
    If you want larger rims, i would recommend 17's. if you don't go offroad
  • toddstocktoddstock Member Posts: 268
    Now all the Chevy girls are in here arguing.... You guys really are too much...

I personally wouldn't mind having the backseat bigger in case I have passengers... Everything else I am pretty happy with... Very good truck, and serves my purpose real well, and is imo, the best 1/2 TON truck out there..

It's hilarious, the Chevy guys thought they found out something to talk chit about, and got burned... Trying to say Toyota copied Ford, when it was vice versa.... Take the feet out of your mouths, suck it up, and admit you were WRONG yet again....

Peace to all my boys out there driving their trucks...

Hey Oby, I constantly see Bama saying your truck has been in the shop for 4 months and never see you correct him.... Please tell me that he is just messin witcha... If not, and you are continually f-ing with the Toyota guys, you are not very bright... With all due respect, of course...
    Bama as usual exaggerates. I don't pay much attention to what he says cause he is always saying the same old thing like Shakerado, 1/4 ton pickup and such making difficult to have any kind of intelligent discussion.
    There is no need to lie just because you are embarassed about your Lemonado's service history. Suck it up!

You yourself posted that your Lemonado spent 126 days in the shop. This was months ago.

When I state that your Lemonado spent 4 months in the shop, I am actually understating what a piece of junk your truck is.
    Any chance of getting back on topic here?

Bob
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    Absolutely, no chance!
    1. Give an option to get the truck equipped with the TRD supercharger from the factory. The Tundra would then have 340 hp and more torque than the Ford Lightning with only 5lb of boost! With the Tundra being lighter than the Ford - it should be a rocket!

2. Come out with a 3/4 ton diesel.

3. Give an option for a real high end stereo. (one with an insane number of watts and a subwoofer).
    This is an honest question have they dynoed a tundra with a supercharger? Does it infact have 340HP??? Were the numbers published?

I think a factory supercharger for any one of the trucks (chevy toyota dodge ford would be a good idea)

Another idea would be factory lifted trucks (2-3-4")
This discussion has been closed.