Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Most reliable Pickup 1990 to 1996

gbradcsigbradcsi Member Posts: 3
Hi, i like to get a used truck, 1/2 or 3/4 ton. the most work it would have to do is tow a tow dolley once a year. mileage and reliability are the primary concerns. prefer a ford or a gm product or? also i would consider other years.
thanks in advance.
Garry
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    richcolorichcolo Member Posts: 81
    I don't know that they are the "most reliable", but mine has been very good--1/2 ton V-6 (4.3L) 2WD GM's are durable (164,000 and climbing) and efficient (20-24 MPG). I don't know what you mean by a tow dolley, but I've flat towed an old VW bug (1,700 lbs.) a lot, and up to about 3,500 lbs. occasionally. It isn't fast, but it gets the job done just fine. Actually, it isn't painfully slow, the pickup pulling the bug is way faster than the bug all by itself! These little 6 bangers, because they are light (about 3,800 lbs.) and have the same GVWR as any other 1500 series (6,400 lbs.) can haul a pretty stout load. I haul 2400 lbs of pellets (for a stove) about 40 miles several times a year, + my 200 lb. self, no trouble at all. When hauling right at GVWR, avoid any temptation to drag race, unless the road is icy...you might even beat the 4x4's then, not that I would know anything about it ;-)
  • Options
    amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    My '83 F150 Tan Long Bed, dual tank, dual battery, 5.0-2V, 3:55 axel, AOD tranny pick-up.
    Sold to construction worker in late '88. I did one dic pad replacement at 66,000 mi and a cracked Carburetor plate is all. And that was living in San Francisco with the steep hills and all. DisC pads were $6.00 for pair and 1 hr to install. Oh, vehicle had over 140,000 mi.

Other trouble free was '94 F150 Long Bed white LARIAT, dual tank, 5.0 EFI 195 HP, 3:55 axel, AOD tranny, tow hitch. This was a 2 yr lease and was turned in at lease end on a new Ranger XLT truck. Vehicle had under 25,000 mi.
  • Options
    gordo10gordo10 Member Posts: 3
    I have had a '90 Mazda B2200 since it was new & it has been a GEM! I have hauled loads over capacity & it's never complained. I have done regular maintance for about 99K now & nothing else has been required. I know it's not a Chevy or Ford,but I have had plenty of those & none came close for reliability. If you don't mind getting a consistant 26-30 MPG, think about it!
  • Options
    bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Ranked number 1 for full size pickups by J.D. Power. This was the result of a 5 year reliability study.
  • Options
    joeltranejoeltrane Member Posts: 25
    You are right on the money!

Garry, since you mentioned American I'll tell you about the 1990 GMC reg cab 1/2 ton pickup I drove when I was with the Gov't. It has(yes, they're still driving it) 190,000 miles and has seen numerous drivers over the years. It was fun to drive (auto) and still had(when I drove it) good power. The key(I think) was that it has been maintained very well by the regional mechanic over the years. So I believe you can find a good, reliable used American truck. You might try to find a private owner who has years and years of maintanence records for the truck he/she is trying to sell. That's a good sign.

Oh, and those Japanese trucks are no slouch either, right guys??? LOL
    hth,
    jab
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Might be needed as it seems a virus is spreading.
  • Options
    joeltranejoeltrane Member Posts: 25
    I don't get it.
  • Options
    ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    but my 1985 Toyota 1/2 ton lasted for 16 years and 230K miles before I donated it to the Salavation Army. Not because it didn't run but because CA smog requirements are a pain.

John
  • Options
    djenningdjenning Member Posts: 2
    My '92 Nissan should qualify for the most reliable just because it has never, in 170,000 miles (and counting) left me stranded or has otherwise broken down.
  • Options
    chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    Its nice you guys are recommending small pickups like nissan and T100.

Only truck Id avoid from these years is dodge pre-redesign.

how about a 1992 Chevy SS454 pickup, but of course that wouldn't do the milege end of the job,

I would get a Ford 3/4ton 5 speed with the 300 I6, milege, brute strength, be a great truck. Or just a 1/2 ton would do too.
This discussion has been closed.