Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• saz25saz25 Member Posts: 152
    The trick is to not ask for quotes. Do your research on invoice price and incentives. You can get all $2000 of incentives on Hyundai by including it in your quote. You tell them what your price is. I've describes the procedure here in this thread. Once you ask for a quote, you're basically doomed to pay more than you could pay.

Steve
  • sanredsanred Member Posts: 7
    Backy

How do you find the invoice price of a car. Sticker on car has only MSRP and Hyundai website gives the MSRP.

What is the thread # where you have described the process ?

Thanks
    Sanket
  • unlv_rebelsunlv_rebels Member Posts: 32
    I generally don't buy extended warranty for electronics and appliances (laptop, TV, fridge, etc.,). What's the general opinion on Extended Warranty for new cars ? Is it worth paying about $990 (Warranty Direct) for 10 years/100,000 miles ?

Looking forward to hear from others. TIA.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You tell them what your price is.

By "get a quote" I meant find out what they will sell the car for. If you want to tell them what your price is, and see if they'll meet it, fine. But I always like the dealer to give me THEIR best price (which may or may not be their "real" best price) before I tell them what price I think is acceptable. What happens if they would in fact go LOWER than the price I give them? Do you think they'll offer a lower price to me out of the kindness of their hearts? I don't think so.

Once you give the dealership the price you are shooting for, you are doomed to get the car for no lower than that price. If that's OK with you, great.
  • sanredsanred Member Posts: 7
    Finally I took the deal (18630) which I was offered in Chicago to my Madison dealer (Zimbrick), he matched the price ($18605 +135 doc fee (after 1500 +500 rebates)) . I am bad negotiator hence I said yes. At the last minute rather than buying I leased the car.

Here are the details :
    Lease for 36 months / 208 +10 (tax)=218$/month
    200 $ down-payment for the first month.
    Residual =61%
    Price to buy after the lease –14,142

GLS + Popular Equipment Package (Ruby color – my wife wanted it)
    Carpeted Floor Mats
    Cargo Mat
    Cargo net
    Remote Start
    Rear Bumper Protector
    Wheel Locks

I will get the car tomorrow (as the car he has didn’t have remote start), as they need to get the vehicle.

Thank you everyone, this forum is really helpful. First I leased my Sienna and now Sonata.

Thanks
    San
  • blacmaxblacmax Member Posts: 3
    I read quite a bit of talk about "Out the door prices" and such, but not much talk about what the total cost with be. Unless all Sonata owners are strapped with cash (like a few are) then getting a good deal, lets say a 30k MSRP for 25K before TTL, will still put you over 30k, depending on what state you are in and what financing options you qualify for and length of loan, etc. I am guessing 60 months is standard, unless someone has a big down payment. Hyundai is offering 2.9% with the $1500 off or 0% for 60 months, without the option for $1500 off. Now which offer is the best? It depends on the purchase price, how long the vehicle is owned. Not really going to go into this anymore, but 0% beats $1500 plus 2.9% in some cases.
  • roseychicroseychic Member Posts: 4
    just got my hyundai sonata limited with the premium package in white with black leather for 23,790 plus tax and tag this included the $2,000 incentive and thanks to this group i did not pay any doc. fees. thank you for all your advice it really helped.
    Research is why I know that what I offer will always be less than they will ever quote. No dealer will voluntarily give away their holdback, not unless pushed hard. My offer always subtracts holdback from invoice, then I subtract all incentives. Do you think any dealer will offer you better than that out of the gate?
    Steve
  • piezonpiezon Member Posts: 23
    That's an awesome looking car at a great price. Ours is white with tan leather because we loved the two-tone interior look with the darker dashboard & console. We paid almost $2,000 more than you because my wife wanted the pano roof/navigation system/back-up camera plus our incentive was only $500 back in late may when the 2013's were just hitting the showrooms. And, we had to wait 4 weeks for them to locate the exact car.
    Enjoy the car.
    Do you think any dealer will offer you better than that out of the gate?

Out of the gate, probably not. In the end? Maybe. I have had and heard of amazing deals offered under special circumstances, e.g. dealer needs a couple sales to qualify for a special manufacturer incentive. Those are things you and I never hear about, and getting them involves some luck and also some skill.

If you give the dealer your target price at the start of negotiations, which is invoice less holdback less all known incentives, that's the best you will ever do. And not a bad deal at all, if you can get it. But maybe not the best deal... because you'll never know how far the dealer was willing to go below that.
    " And not a bad deal at all, if you can get it. But maybe not the best deal... because you'll never know how far the dealer was willing to go below that. "

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. It always works. I also make sure I never take the deal that the sales rep gives me. No matter what it is. I always make sure I price low enough such that the sales rep needs to get his/her manager or general manager involved. That is because sales rep are allowed to go so far.

I have always make sure that management gets involved. And another thing. If the sales rep ever did accept my offer on the spot without having to get management involved (which has never happened by the way), but if it did happen, I would walk. Because I would know that I should have made a lower quote. As I said that has never happened.

I also make it a point to challenge doc fees; to either get them removed or to lower the agreed-upon price even further such that the doc fee is eliminated or, at worst, reduced. That, again, has always worked.

This is not without some pain and whining on the part of the sales rep about costs of staying in business, etc. All BS.

At the end of the day they won't make the deal unless they at least make something. I just make sure that its as low as possible.

I bought 3 cars (for myself and family and friends) since July, of various makes and this always works.
    Good luck.
    Steve
  • sonataglssonatagls Member Posts: 3
    I drove home a 2013 Sonata GLS - IRIDESCENT SILVER BLUE PEARL
    with PEP +
    Auto Dimming RearView Mirror with HomeLink and Compass
    Carpeted Floor mats
    Cargo Mat
    Cargo Net
    Rear Bumper Protector
    Wheel Locks

MSRP with add ons + dest -> 23,090

Invoice for above -> 22,045
    Hyundai Financing rebate -> -1500
    Competitive Owner rebate-> -500
    Dealer Discount (holdbacks etc.) ->-1445

Total -> 18600

OTD -After taxes and fees 20,045

Steve, Michelle, Brian, Sanket, UnivRebel and others - Thanks for providing valuable data from our posts.
    If the sales rep ever did accept my offer on the spot without having to get management involved (which has never happened by the way), but if it did happen, I would walk.

I see. So you are fine in using deceptive buying practices. You make an offer, it is accepted, then you retract the offer and leave. Sorry, you just lost me there. Good luck to you.

btw, there's a chain of dealerships (including a Hyundai store) in my area where management NEVER gets involved in a deal. The sales people have total responsibility for each transaction, from working with the customer on which vehicle (and they can sell a vehicle from any of the chain's many stores, from many makes), agreeing to a price, arranging for financing, and discussing add-ons like extended warranties. You only see one person for the entire transaction. So if you are looking to always have an offer taken to management, you may have to strike some dealerships off your list.
    I am far from deceptive. I am very respectful throughout the process. As I said, it has never happened where my offer was accepted by the sales rep immediately. With the pricing I come up with, it can't happen.

I also do my research. There is one dealer in my area where the is no negotiating. The prices are clearly displayed. I have a strategy for dealing with such dealers. I don't shop there, period. I would also not shop at a dealer as you mention where management is not allowed to get involved. Its as simple as that.

I haven't met anyone yet who gets a better deal on a car than I can. I help others to do the same and to be respectful.
    Steve
    Sorry, but IMO it's not respectful nor honest to be ready to renege on an oral contract if it's accepted too quickly for your taste. If you ever run into a situation where your initial offer is accepted by the sales person, I hope you will do the right thing and accept their offer, rather than walk out.
    IMHO, $20,000 OTD is a good price for a GLS with PEP. Enjoy your new car.

I haven't closed my deal yet. Hopefully, I will do it by Jan 2.

I got an estimate for extended warranty (Warranty Direct) for 10 years/100,000 miles for $990 ($100 ded/visit). I am not sure whether it is worth getting this one or not ? I haven't obtained a decent number of comments here. I am still researching about it elsewhere.
    Thanks, was offered a 10y/ 100k warranty with 50$ deductible for 13xx$. I think this warranty covers above and beyond what hyundai already covers. I declined, though. I bought the car in north texas.
  • michellej87michellej87 Member Posts: 28
    Which dealership in N TX?
    I ought mine at Freeman Irving after Van Hyundai dealer did not agree on lowering price.
    Van Hyundai wanted me to pay 20k before taxes.

I settled on 19k before taxes with Freeman.
    OTD is about 20300.
    Freeman irving.
  • usfarbuo1usfarbuo1 Member Posts: 35
    i'll give you a dealer where there is no negotiating because their deals are so good you won't believe them. they post the msrp and then give you the actual price which is thousands ( yes thousands ) lower than the msrp. the dealer is in salem, new hampshire. their website is www.salemhyundai.net
    i'll be using them next time i buy a hyundai and i have bought three at a dealership in mass. and i intend to use salems price when i negotiate with the mass dealer for my next purchase. and their "price in salem usually does not include the incentives.
    salem new hamp. is only 25 miles from me.
    check it out.
  • neptune00neptune00 Member Posts: 16
    Looking for best price for this car after all rebates, live in New York and want car real soon, totally loaded invoice 29980. What should I expect and how do I go about negotiating with dealer? Please help!!
  • jefk56jefk56 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought '13 Sonata lim pzev w/ premium pkg, mud guards, carpeted and all season mats - blue/camel leather. 24600 +tax +MV+doc(249).sticker was 29980 plus the few extras, in central jersey. Felt it was almost as good as I could get,wanted to buy close to home, family owned dealer.
  • sharoooniesharooonie Member Posts: 4
    Congrats!
    Where did you get in SFLA?
    Did you purchase? Lease?

I've been looking and want to get one today..last day of rebates..but no deals as good as yours.

Happy New Year.
    edited January 2013
    i got the car at lehman brothers on countyline rd and 441. i went in with a price of 23,590 and we settled at 23,790. i had to fight hard but i got my price
    and remember that was after they took the $2,000 off in rebates. i love the car it drives so great and looks beautiful in white with the all black leather interior
    good luck oh and yes we bought it!
  • follathadollafollathadolla Member Posts: 1
    Yes, the RED one is delicious! I had the 2011 SE in Venetian Red... found it on the sales floor. Then, 3 months later heard about the Turbo. Wanted, but didn't see a red one, and was not willing for a dealer to locate me one... I was happy with that car.

But as luck would have it, a 2012 Red (Sparkling Ruby, I think) Turbo SE was sitting on the showroom floor as I was in for routine service 18 months following my purchase. I drove IT home that very day!

I live in the Nashville, TN area and did not see another red one on the road for forever, but occasionally do now. I still am yet to see another red Turbo. Trust me, save up for a red... and spend the extra on the Turbo!

Can you say ZOOOOOOM and BIG FUN to drive?? Love mine well enough to pay the 3 years without changing again... LOL
  • sharoooniesharooonie Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your response. :)
    I am happy you like your car!

Did you go through internet sales?
    Anyone you recommend to deal with?
  • danslevindanslevin Member Posts: 3
    DB,

I actually just purchased the Sonata Limited 2.0t for $23,100 with Navigation and everything. I am from PA and tags and taxes were included.
    I just bought the Sonata Limited 2.0T with Navigation for $23,200. Tags and Taxes are included. I got $1600 for my car and put down 2k. Payments are at $307/72m with 3.9 apr. Did I get a good deal? I am from PA. All the input would be very helpful, as I am new to this board. Looked like a site with honest/good responses
    Sounds good, I am looking for the same except add premium package and a few small goodies. Where did you buy from? I am from Long Island and the prices seem much higher here, they don't negotiate much.
    Looking for the same package with spoiler deflector and mud guards. Live in New York and willing to travel for a good deal. Can not get one on Long Island. What was the MSRP and where did you get your deal?
    What did you get the car for? Where are you located and what dealer for that price? I am looking now.
  • hanyuyehanyuye Member Posts: 5
    Hi all!

I've been shopping around for a Camry here in LI, New York. I got an OTD price of 2013 Camry SE with Sunroof and Nav, no leather or other options whatsoever. I was upset of how the dealership handled the price because they first offered 25K, then the 'manager' said no, and asked for 25800, we said ok. Then the manager said no to OUR 'ok' and said, ' you know what, we'll give it to you for 26200. We walked out and my father almost berated and cursed out the manager.
    Btw, Taxes in NY is 8.8 percent.

I've always wanted a Sonata and I've convinced my father that the Sonata is a very good car. I'm interested in the Sonata SE and/or Limited with Nav. I'd prefer the Limited because it HAS rear heated seats! My goodness, am I right or am I wrong?! Anyways, I see that some folks have been achieving an OTD price for the 2013 Limited with Nav for 26K. Is that what I should be aiming for?
    As for the SE, should I suggest 24K OTD?

I intend to put 8 to 10K down cash and the rest finance over 60 months.
    What dealer did you use
    i did have a dealer from kendall call me through internet sales and i got him to send me an email with the 23,590 price. i then told the dealer at lehman that i had an email and that he had to meet that price or beat it and he said he would but i then had him send me an email with his price on it and then and only then did i take a drive down there
  • michellej87michellej87 Member Posts: 28
    Cool, we both bought at same dealer (I got slightly worse deal but its all good).
    Are you the buyer who bought the blue one parked right in front as a display car?
    I bought mine on Saturday, Dec 22.
  • drichie97drichie97 Member Posts: 2
    Good evening, yall. I need some help here. Buying my first new car. I live in HW Houston. I want to buy the 2013 Sonata Limited (2.4L w/ 198 HP). With Premium Package. Floormats, Mudguards, etc. Total MSRP on the website comes out to $30,150. I have heard your first offer should be 30% or so off the MSRP. And then work from there. I dont know if this is true or not. What should be the highest price I should settle at w/ taxes and Title? Any comments would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Derek
  • drichie97drichie97 Member Posts: 2
    To phrase that question a little better, what should my target price be?
  • blacmaxblacmax Member Posts: 3
    I recently bought this car in New Orleans.

MSRP: 27,515 (invoice $26,085)= NAV, Carpet floor mats, Cargo Mat, Cargo Net, Mirror w/homelink. (salesman added window etching/Ipod cord- tried to get window tint but the dealership didn't do window tinting)

Dealer added "value": $1095 (my est. invoice & $572) Accent package? Paint/fabric protector/splash guards.***words of advice, shopping on websites do not prepare you for the actual dealer added items that you have no idea about until you see the car. The first place I went to, had $1,700 worth of extras. These can catch you off guard as you don't really know how to properly negotiate them. I was thrown off, as $27,515 MSRP was my price I was working with and getting in my head before I went to the dealership. I also went on Fitzmall and found the exact same car(diff color) with options for $27,515 MSRP and printed out the sheet and had it with me. The lowest price on Fitzmall was $23,300 and this included all the current rebates.**** This was the best # I saw in all my research and crunching the invoice/incentive numbers myself.

Total MSRP of my car @ dealership was $28,606(Invoice~$26,675)

Final car price $25,657 - $1,500 - $500 = $23,657. Almost 5k below MSRP.
    Add 8.5% tax + $232 doc fee (didn't bother to negotiate any more at such a small cost) total out the door was $25899. I shot the dealer a really low OTD price of $25000 & then $25,500 but he complained about losing $$ on the deal. I had no real bargaining power with no trade in and not putting any money down.

At the end of the day, I paid just $1018 below invoice without any incentives or $3,000 with them all. I think in the south some of the incentives have expired. I actually gave up the $1,500 in Hyundai incentives to get the 0% for 60months, which saves me ~ $400 over the life of the loan.
  • jefk56jefk56 Member Posts: 4
    Circle, shrewsbury
  • mnc4494mnc4494 Member Posts: 13
    I bought a 2013 Sonata limited 2.4 with mud guards, carpeted mats, cargo mat, wheel locks and ipod cable in Delaware.

MSRP $26, 995

Invoice$25,515

Car Price $23,299

Doc Fee $249

Rebates $2,000
    Tags$300

Tax (7%)

OTD $23,478

1.9 % 48 months through HMF
  • mosbo1654mosbo1654 Member Posts: 1
    What would be a good OTD price for a 2013 Limited 2.0T w/ premium package and could you break it down similar to the post above this one? Thanks
    I bought it from Conceilla Hyundai in Conshoken(spelling?), PA. It is about 2 and a half-3hrs from Long Island. MSRP was $27,700 and got it for $23,150 with taxes/tags included.

Way to get it down is to go in to a dealership, talk to them and make sure they know you are interested in purchasing a car within next few weeks.

Next, no matter what, you need to do is let the dealership know you will be going to another Hyundai dealership and get another quote. If you need to, tell the next place your going too that the other place offered you a deal $200-$300 less then the actual offer. Getting a good deal is all about bluffing. Regardless, you can always come back to the previous deal offered. Remember, dealerships do not want to lose to competition. Getting a good deal is all about bluffing in the right manner and have enough self control to leave. Also, I do not believe you will be able to get an extra upgrade for that price since the invoice was like 25,200 and I got it for 23,150. Maybe you can then, I did not want to go to each dealership more then twice.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    edited January 2013
    REF: 8777
    What was the price before tax and tags? Your numbers don't add up. What discounts (loyalty, military, etc.) did you have? Was 27700 the window sticker or a BS dealer pack sticker? In a previous post, your numbers were 1600 trade + 2000 down + 72 payments of 307...
    edited January 2013
    I already have a loan approved for 3.9% for 72 months through HMF and I am planning to use this option along with $2400 rebates ($1500 HMF finance, $500 loyal owner rebate and $400 student rebate) to purchase a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. I have an offer ($18,750 before TTL) for a new 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS (RED) with the popular equipment package along with added features (carpeted floor mats, all-weather mats, cargo net, rear bumper protector, wheel locks, and auto-dimming rear-view mirror with compass and HomeLink ). The MSRP of this car is $23,110 and Invoice is $22,271 (destination fee included).

In early December, I was looking only at 2013 Sonata GLS only. I was able to get an offer lower than $18,750 before TTL but the travel cost to get the car significantly nullified the difference. However, after seeing the IIHS 2013 safety tests (Dec 20, 2012), I am kind of worried about Sonata 2013. It got only Top Safety Pick and not Top Safety Pick Plus. In the small overlap test, it's scores were lower than Accord 2013. The most worrying thing is the fact that side curtain air bags did not open.

It appears that Honda engineers (Nissan engineers for their Altima 2013 and others) knew about the new test and modified their 2013 design accordingly. However, in the case of Sonata 2013, it is primarily based on 2011 design and hence, it missed the mark. The Sonata may score better in their next model (2014 design). I am surprised to see Optima 2013 based on late 2011 design getting Top Safety Pick Plus (and not Sonata). However, Optima has a slightly lower score than Accord 2013. The significant difference is the fact that it's side curtain bags opened unlike Sonata. BTW: Camry 2013 has the worst IIHS ratings compared to these three cars.

However, in the case of NHTSA tests, Accord 2013 and Sonata 2013 are very similar.

It appears that some are getting 2013 Accord LX (Auto) between $21,000 and $22,000 OTD (in various states with tax ranging from 6 to 9%). The offer that I have on a 2013 Sonata GLS with PEP is about $19,900 OTD (after 6% tax). I am planning to keep the car for a long time.

2013 Accord LX Advantages ($21,000 and $22,000 OTD in various states with tax ranging from 6 to 9%):
    1. Better engine. Honda engines are known for their reliability. But, what about CVT ?
    2. Better gas mileage - 27/36 vs 24/35 (If I keep the car for about 10 years, then I could save about $2000 !)
    3. Better safety (IIHS 2013 Top Safety Pick Plus)
    4. Better resale value (It may not affect me, since, I am planning to keep it for a long time)
    5. Rear view camera
    6. Hill Assist

2013 Sonata GLS with PEP Advantages ($19,900 OTD after 6% tax):
    1. Longer warranty
    2. Better style
    3. Fog lights
    4. Heated front seats
    5. Heated side mirrors
    6. Power seat with lumbar support
    7. Auto dimming mirror
    8. 6 speakers vs 4 speakers
    9. Garage door opener (Home Link auto dimming mirror)
    10. Lower price (about $1000 - $2000).
    11. Front legroom is 45.5 in vs 42.5 in and headroom is 40 in vs 39.1 in (I am 6 ft 4 in and hence Sonata would be better)
    12. Additional accessories (all-weather mats, cargo net, rear bumper protector, and wheel locks)
    13. 8 air bags vs 6 air bags - NEED TO BE VERIFIED (Can someone confirm this ?)

Accord's better gas mileage could nullify the price difference, if I keep the car for a long time, provided Accord's shorter warranty will not give me huge repair bills. I don't mind loosing some features and style for improved safety ratings. If I haven't come across IIHS 2013 tests, I would have bought Sonata 2013 without any second thought. Am I giving too much importance to the IIHS 2013 test results ?

Any comments. Thanks in advance.
    REF: 8779
    great write-up! Not to add more work to your endeavor BUT the 2013 Optima LX can be had with the Convenience PLUS package ($1100) that includes a rear camera, upgraded mirror, power driver seat and the Microsoft UVO audio system. Total MSRP for that model is 23.3k

"COP - LX Convenience Plus Package - $1,100
    Includes Power Adjustable Driver's Seat, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror w/Homelink & Compass Also Includes Radio: UVO Infotainment System w/Rr Camera Display."

sample:
    http://kefferkia.net/2013-Kia-Optima-LX-Charlotte-NC/vd/13025853
    Sonata has 6 air bags, not 8.
    The latest IIHS test is the small front overlap, which places just a fraction of the front end with the brunt of a full-force impact. It’s made automakers sweat the details a little more. And some have done a little better than others. The IIHS announced its new test in 2009, giving automakers plenty of time to make their vehicles safer.

A vehicle that came out all-new in 2011 might not have had the time to undergo any changes, as its design was locked into place years ago. But a new car only takes three years to reach the market. There’s really no excuse for any of them to perform too poorly, even if it is an all-new test.

View & Read: http://blogs.automotive.com/iihs-gives-2013-honda-accord-best-rating-in-new-cras- h-test-ratings-122825.html#ixzz2HnJWFk8R
  • bob225bob225 Member Posts: 46
    This was my deal on a 2013 Sonota Limited
    Tech Pkg.
    Nav.
    Carpeted mats, cargo mat, net, mud guards
    MSRP $29,880
    Rebate -$1,500
    Financing -$1,000
    Conquest -$500
    No trade
    Dealer discount -$1,968
    Purchased for $24,912
    Add local tax plus $225 fees/tag transfer
  • maureen14maureen14 Member Posts: 9
    Hi there. Have been checking out these forums for quite some time. You wrote that you got the limited 2.0 for 23,150 including taxes and title. What was your price before tax and title?
    My son is interested in the se 2.0 and when I figure out the whole deal with what Steve writes, it comes to about 21800 without tax and title. (He wants spoiler and mud guards). If I add in tax and title, it comes to more than what you paid for a limited. We are from long island, but would be willing to travel for a price that good. If he could get the limited for that price, he would be extremely happy. Thanks for your help.

Maureen
    REF: 8784
    Don't believe everything you see on these forums. That deal is not possible unless it's a demo with tons of miles on it. His numbers don't add up and he hasn't responded to my inquiry either.