Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Timing belt replacement

acuraowneracuraowner Member Posts: 57
edited March 2014 in Acura
Ok here is the deal. Today I called the Acura dealership to ask about new accessory belts. I was quoted a price including the timing belt and water pump replacement. I went into how I was going to have it done at 105k miles as the owners manual recommends.

Well back to the story. The service guy says its supposed to be done at 90k miles, he went on how my car is still running by luck and how my timing belt should have broke by now.

Where can I find the recommended inteval for timing belt replacement. I know there is a site out there but I am unsure of where its at.

Comments

• Options
    vidtechvidtech Member Posts: 212
    I WOULD JUST HAVE IT REPLACED.AT 105000 MILES YOU GOT YOUR MONEY'S WORTH.WHY TAKE A CHANCE.IT MAY BREAK WHILE YOUR STILL LOOKING FOR THE INFORMATION.
  • Options
    alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Try here:

http://www.gates.com/downloads/files/catalogs/tbelt.pdf

P.S. Make, model, year and engine would help.

• Options
    acuraowneracuraowner Member Posts: 57
    That site says 105,000 miles. Same for my owners manual. Both the Acura dealerships around here say 90k and that they never do the accessory belts as a stand alone job.

Anyways the other Acura dealership in town explained to me why they do both jobs at the same time. He said Acura designs the timing belt and accessory belts to have the same life expectancy and when one is going bad the other isnt far behind.

He quoted me $499.95 plus tax for the timing belt, new water pump, new valve cover gasket and new accessory belts. I guess I will go ahead and have it done just to get it over and done with.

Thanks for your help
  • Options
    alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    You're welcome. Good luck with it.
  • Options
    mrdetailermrdetailer Member Posts: 1,118
    The dealership is definitely advising good preventative maintenence. They can do the repair once right.

Most dealers service areas know the quirks of their particular models. Their prevenative advice is generally good.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Well, like Alcan said, if you gave us the year, make, model and engine, we could tell you exactly what the manufacturer's specified interval for the timing belt is.
    I realize it is an Acura, but each modle may have a different engine and each engine has it's own specifications and they can change them from year to year.
  • Options
    brorjacebrorjace Member Posts: 588
    Acuraowner, that's a VERY fair price for that extensive service. I had the same service done on my Honda by a private shop for about $300 ... but they owed me a BIG favor ... and I provided all my belts (I kept spares just in case).

90,000 miles is a perfectly sensible interval for timing belt and water pump. Yes, I know Hondas running with 140,000+ miles on their original belts ... but I also know of a late-eighties Honda Accord whose belt failed at around 85,000 miles. It did a lot of damage when it snapped, too. But, the guy griped to Honda and they split the bill with him.

>:^)

--- Bror Jace
  • Options
    bburton1bburton1 Member Posts: 395
    Had my 97 I4 timing and all drive belts replaced at 118K-would have waited till 150K but had warranty work to do that I thought ran out at 120K. The old belts looked just fine-would have probably lasted another 50K. Have broken a belt on a 80 accord with no damage. The I4 non vtec is a non intereference engine - unless you have lots of carbon build up and then it will damage the engine.

Got all belts replaced for $375 by a honda dealer. Other dealers wanted over $600 and they said they would probably have to replace the water pump and that would add another $100 to the bill. Shop around-I found the smaller the town in which the dealer is located the better deal you get.
This discussion has been closed.