Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• Options
    lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    to check the oil. I've never had a problem with my speedo washing out. It's set so far back that the sun or light of any kind doesn't affect it for me. No munchkins for me (if so I'd have 'em stuffed in a mini van, not an rx8), so the dvd is of no value to me. there is a unit you can purchase to play dvd's thru the navigation. But, if I want to watch a movie, i prefer to be couched out at the house. Love the car, you will too.
  • Options
    astralastral Member Posts: 41
    Different strokes for different folks. I love the digital speedo and even in direct sunlight from the back, I haven't had trouble seeing it at all.

The 6th gear is crucial for getting good mileage on the highway. 6th gear is there to cruise and save gas. You can do mild passing in 6th, but anything more aggressive requires a downshift. And, come on, you know you want to! :) I guess we have different opinions on gearboxes, but I would hate to drive it with 4 gears. I wish the 6th gear was taller (for better gas), but otherwise the gearbox feels perfect.

I agree that power creeps up without you knowing it. It's very smooth. The car accelerates faster than it feels like. So far, I end up about 10-15 mph over my target speed accelerating onto highway (and I don't really speed), and always end up braking, because it just doesn't feel like it's going that fast. Very smooth. As you noted, the rotary rotates, not reciprocates. However, it also makes power every 2 strokes (despite a 6-stroke cycle), whereas a regular 4-stroke piston engine makes power every 4 strokes.

The RX-8 seems to have more body roll than you would expect for a sportscar like that, but what I find is that it still handles really well when pushed to the limit. It settles quickly and reacts just as quick. I think it's because all the weight is down low and to the center, and so the RX-8 can achieve exceptional handling with a softer suspension. Cars with weight more spread out and higher (e.g. my roommate's Impreza WRX STi) has to work harder (stiffer suspension) to achieve great handling.

Anyway, it's an awesome car, zoom zoom! 2100 miles already! 3 weeks :)
  • Options
    plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    The suspension is very "Euro", in that it is a tad soft at the edges, so that it actualyl can handle real world driving as well as more agressive moves. This is what makes BMW famous - they build a refined city car that wont beat a dedicated sportscar like a Porsche, but 95% of all people who buy a BMW won't ever BE good enough to tell the difference. You get a perfect "everymans's sportscar".

The IS300 and the RX8 are the only current Japanese cars that feel like a BMW - and it's a great thing. But BMWs are hideously expensive and full of ticky-tacky. A far cry from the old 2002s and 3 series that made them famous.

Plus, I like to be different. Lol. 4-stroke engines are over a hundred years old technology. They put tons of valves and computers and variable timing and so on to make it "modern", but it's still just a very fancy century+ old design. It used to be that a rotary engine was more complex, but now it's very much the reverse.
  • Options
    elianelian Member Posts: 4
    Hey,

Does anyone know when the 2006 RX-8 is supposed to hit the dealer lots?

Thanks...

Elian
  • Options
    mikezoomzoommikezoomzoom Member Posts: 69
    I've got three Phantom Blues on order with my first allocation a while back with an expected delivery of late December/early January. I've got more ordered already but they will be in succession to my allocation. 2005 models are still in the pipeline to be built and shipped through November.

ZOOM ZOOM!!!
  • Options
    flashinkaflashinka Member Posts: 6
    Yes I do have a Shinka and I love it. I'm glad I didn't just get a loaded RX8 for the same price because the Sirius and beautiful interior set the shinka apart from the rest. I have the manual with about 4000 miles. I'm sure part of the reason for early low mpg was my lead foot being happy with the new car. But when I'm not overwhelmed with feelings to push my car I help my mileage by skipping gears. That has appeared to help. With gas prices I still wish it was better. It just seems ironic since the car I traded in was a big Pontiac Grand Prix GTP that got average 25 mpg. Still I love this car.
  • Options
    emeraldhueemeraldhue Member Posts: 10
    I'm still slow off the line with an MT. But once I get past 40MPH, the car flies. I didn't buy my Shinka for the 0-60 factor though. It absolutely rocks in handling. After buying the car in LA, I took it to the uphill climb going toward Castaway. As some of you may already know, that jaunt is full of sharp turns all the way to the top. On second gear going 50MPH, fully seated with three passengers, I hardly felt any sway as the car swung past each corner. On my drive back home toward Kansas City (I flew all the way out to LA just to get an excellent deal on a Shinka), I put this baby to the test in the Rockies in Colorado on eastbound I-70. The drive from Glenwood Springs to Eagle was breathtaking. Again, it was an uphill climb full of sharp curves. 90MPH...no problems!

I got pulled over back in Utah though. :( The cop clocked me at 92 on a 75. I was very lucky not to get thrown in jail because I was going at 125 just minutes before. I couldn't resist!
  • Options
    too bad on the ticket, but some sacrifices are worth it, huh? And, it's so darn easy to speed. You think you're just cruising along enjoying the scenery and if the cruise isn't set, bam!, you're doing 85!! It is an exciting car to drive!!

PS I have driven a manual off and on my entire driving life, but the shifting in this car is unlike any I have ever driven and has taken some getting used to. I have found that a nice little rev to just over 2K rpms and an easy let-out on the clutch gets us going smoothly and gives smoother acceleration.
  • Options
    razz3razz3 Member Posts: 2
    I get 21 to 23 now.

Buy the Racing Beat Intake and CAI, not only will you get good performance but much better milage.
    :shades:
  • Options
    thelthel Member Posts: 767
    Well our local dealer has 3 leftover 2004 black RX-8s on the lot. I decided to go and test drive the cheapest one...a GT package / moonroof with an MSRP of $31.5k. They've been advertising it in the local paper for several weeks at $24.3k.

So I go in and the salesman can't find the car...turns out someone backed a truck into it and its in the body shop beign worked on. So I ask if I can drive the other black one with a moonroof and he agrees. After jump-starting the battery (I was expecting this), the wife, 4-year-old daughter and I were off.

What a wicked-cool car! I was shocked at how quiet the car is. My daily driver is a 1990 Miata A-package (no power gizmos) with 142000 miles so I'm used to loud cars. But I'd glance down at the tach and find myself at 5k RPM and the motor was barely audible...awesome!

The power seat was nice and the steering wheel made me feel right at home. The handling was amazingly precise with virtually no understeer at all, a remarkably well-balanced machine. My wife's pregnant with our second and the car only had 500 mile on it so I didn't really flog it much but I got a pretty good idea of what it can do.

My only complaints started with a lack of headroom (I may try out the one without the moonroof). The other complaint is the disappointing lack of rear seat leg room. It shouldn't be a big problem for me since my kids will be the only ones back there but no adult human will be able to fit behind me and my 6'1" frame.

I don't know if I can actually afford one, but it would be nice. Anyone think I could get a better deal on the one that got smacked? I'm kind of hoping that since they've been on the lot for soooo long that they may give me an outrageous sum of money for my 04 Civic EX sedan but I don't know...

Any input on prices / negotiating tactics or strategies would be aprreciated.
  • Options
    The "got hit" story is a typical bait and switch tactic. What I do is covertly poke around and if they ask I say "just looking". Often the car is there, but you'd have to check the numbers against it in the ad.

Still, it's a great car. Turns out my aging Buick I'm looking to replace is getting 14-15mpg(ouch!), though it runs like new otherwise, so it doulw actually be an improvement there. :)
  • Options
    I doubt a bait and switch here since the other 04 leftovers (3 total, all black, all over $30k MSRP) are pretty much the same car as I went to look at, they're only about $1k more expensive b/c they have the Nav system.\

I'm just wondering how low I should expect the dealer to go.
  • Options
    trispectrispec Member Posts: 305
    Yep, I agree on the speedo, like it, keep it. Here's why: 1) Speed should take a back seat to tach as it does visually in the RX8 dial face. 2) The speedo as a practical matter is hidden from the front passenger and this is TOTALLY AWESOME since my wife need never know that I'm going 95mph. 3) The cruise control button increments exactly 1 mph on the digital speedo.

Notes on driving the 4 speed Auto with the paddle shifting within the city limits of Boston. The RX-8 AT is almost required for us older drivers in Boston's excessive grid lock track. But using the paddle shifters on those occasions that you can, like over the Mass Ave bridge on the Charles river, one can join the high rev rotary to the max club. First, there is a bit more torque in the 4 speed auto, so 1st, 2nd above 4500 rpm will snap your neck if you kick in full throttle. Second, 1st and 2nd are all you need in the city. Third, using the throttle to sync the paddle shifter shifts is easy as pie and makes down shifts from 2nd to 1st very smooth.
  • Options
    So, trispec, have you gotten the 8 yet? You sound like you already have it :)
  • Options
    Yep. Got the last Nordic Green Mica Sports Package RX8 on the planet I think. Man I love that color. It's green, blue, and black all at the same time. I don't know why I was after Black or Silver in the first place.

Her name is Arwen Evenstar after the Elf princess in Lord of the Rings. The small windows remind my of elf ears and the Nordic Green Mica reminds me of the eleven cloaks and at the end of every day I feel like Frodo when Arwen Evenstar the elf princesses she is carrying him to Rivendale.
  • Options
    flashinkaflashinka Member Posts: 6
    Although I wouldn't trade my Black Cherry Shinka for any other color, I would agree that the Nordic Green would be my second choice. In fact when I first started looking, I was thinking blue, but when I saw the Nordic Green I was totally swayed to liking that color. In the end, it didn't matter because I got the Shinka but I just wanted to say good choice and happy motoring.
  • Options
    The Black Cherry would be my favorite as well, but I couldn't deal with the extra dollars and the moon roof's apparent loss of head room. The Shinka leather seats are nice too.

As for happy motoring, I've got to tell you, running a Boston rotory in my rotary beats any driving fun I've ever had. On my way to work, there are four rotories which setup perfectly for hard G forces one direction while in the rotory and then sudden maximum G forces whipping back the opposite direct on exiting.

The other "running rotories in my rotary" pleasure is the case of the occasional SUV cutting me off visually by passing on the left side on entering a Boston rotary. By using the high G whip turn on exiting, my rotary, Arwen Evenstar, has me past the wrath as she curses in elfish "If you want him, come and claim him." Then we disappear in the misty morning fog flying 55mph in second on old twisty roads through the mansion scape of Boston's West Roxbury and Brookline Hills.

Way way to much fun. :)
  • Options
    Congratulations trispec!

The Nordic Green is indeed a great color: I like the subtleness of the paint... it looks black, but it really isn't, and when you get close, those mica flakes really pop at ya.

I'm glad you're having fun with the car, I'm having a lot of fun with mine! My rotary skills aren't as good right now, as I don't drive through any regularly, but when I do, I drop a gear and zoom the heck away!

Here's to many happy miles in our 8s!

I received my winter tires two weeks ago, can't wait for the winter :)
  • Options
    I love the Shinka color (not as much as I love my winning blue though :) ), but I am not a fan of the light-colored interior... I really like those dark interiors. Still, what a nice car it is :)
  • Options
    Yep, way way to much fun.

On the tires, my dealer said not to give up on the 18" rims because of the air pressure sensors. Did you find a tire for the 18" rims? Thanks.
  • Options
    pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    If you want to use 17" wheels for winter tires there is no real problem. You will have a light on (tire pressure light) all winter, but it will not cause any problems. I find the tire pressure sensor system funny - if you park beside another RX-8 the two systems will interfere with each other. If you park beside another RX-8 with non-sensor equipped wheels on your car, the sensor light will probably go out! Funny! Perhaps useful, but still funny!
  • Options
    irritating. With the onset of cool nights and warm days, my light is on almost every morning. Once my tires warm up, it goes off unless I have one really low. I just wish they could have added one more gadget that could tell you which tire needed air. I spend every other morning running around the car with my guage trying to figure out which one is low. Minor issue, I guess, to have a car this fun!

trispec... on the wheels, someone posted some time earlier that it was wise to go with smaller rims to allow for snow and ice build-up in wheel well. What's the opinion on that thinking?
  • Options
    Just started having really cool mornings here in New England. The tire pressure light hasn't flicked on and off yet. Is there an audible tone over the radio?

The dealer mentioned BlizTechs for the low profile all seasons tires. If my rims hold up without developing the quirky behavior folks describe then I'll probably take the dealers advice on the BlizTech tires. If the 18" rims become a pain anyway, I'll probably go with new 17" rims with winter snow tires.

There was a Canadian dude talking about winter tires some time back in this forum. I'm guessing he know what's up for sure for winter equipment. Here in Boston, it's black ice and slush that cause most real problems.
  • Options
    pretty loud beeps at start-up (if you have a low tire). Don't think it does anything beyond that, at least, I haven't noticed it.

Thankfully, I don't have to worry about the winter tire thing. I can walk to work and don't plan on driving it this winter unless the roads are completely clear. I debated on buying a cheap winter vehicle, but the insurance costs are too high.
  • Options
    That would be me (Canadian dude ;). We use 17" AR wheels with Nokian WR tires. They are "all season performance tires". Work very well in rain and snow. Not bad on black ice (the dreaded freezing rain test!). We used the stock tire size, but in 17".

I also use them on my SUV. Very nice tires, but not cheap! They can be left on all year long, but you would notice they don't grip as well as the stock tires on warm dry pavement. That's because the stock tires are summer performance tires, and they are "sticky". Notice how they tend to throw small rocks when you drive over a gravel patch? The Nokians pick up small rocks due to the aggresive siping in them. Different cause, same general result. ;) On the SUV they don't appear to have "less grip" compared to the stock tires, in fact they have better grip year round.

You've got to know Fins know how to make winter tires! They get lots of experience, just like Canadians. :)
  • Options
    roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    I'm in the market for a new car and the RX-8 is on my list. I was at a Mazda dealership last weekend and they had (2) '04 RX-8's on the lot with $6000 off
    the price. I know the rotary has quirks, but what car doesn't? The vehicle seems
    to have alot of content for the price. The car has looks (imo), power, superb handling, and a good looking interior with quality materials.

What gives ? Why don't they sell ?
  • Options
    $6000 off? 2004 still on the lot? Buy it!
  • Options
    lack of advertising, for one. I'm amazed at the number of people that have never seen or even heard of my car. They may know about the rx7 but had no idea mazda had followed up with the 8.

I also think they have produced way more cars than normally sell for a quirky niche car. It shouldn't have been such a heavily mass-produced car (in my opinion), but something a little more exclusive.

I think folks are steering clear of the 04's because of the flooding problems and all that the first run cars did have. I have an early 04 and have had 0000 problems.

At this point, unless they are close to giving any leftover 04's away for FREE, most potential buyers will start thinking "extra year depreciation, almost 2 years" and step up to an 05 which probably has some decent rebates at this point.

I do think the biggest factor is just that 95% of the people out there are not interested in niche cars. Our Chrysler dealer still has at least one, maybe 2, 04 Crossfires on the lot. Same thing (plus they are really ugly!!)

my $.02 !!
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    I agree.

My 'vette had a similar system but they took the next step and gave you a digital pressure readout. The BMW system used the ABS sensors was very poor - no indication of which tire and it had to be REAL low to cause an alert.

The good news is the RX-8 system is very sensitive. On the first cool morning here (50 degrees) or so mine came on. The tires LOOKED OK, but once I checked the pressures COLD (at lunch) I found that the normal cool weather pressure drop had occurred. They were all 2-3 psi low due to having been last checked on an 80-90 day. I carry a pump in the car (IDI "Truck Air") so I quickly for them up to the right temps and no light on the way home or since.

So the bad news is that you will not know which tire without checking them all and the good news is that even a slight pressure decrease will cause an alert.

Just check and set them all before the car has been moved on a cold (and preferably cloudy) morning and you should be OK. If you have a garage, you may want to leave the car out overnight so you can check the pressures in the morning.

Dennis
  • Options
    roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    Just curious. Does anyone know what the average monthly sales are for the RX-8 ?
    Nissan sells ( on average ) about 2000 350 Z's / month. I realize that these two vehicles don't compete with each other directly but they are both what I consider to be niche vehicles. Is there a Mazda website for sales figures ??
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Don't forget that 1/2 of the country sees snow....during the snow months sports car sales generally are terrible. We sell 80% of our sports cars and convertibles during a 5 month period. That leaves alot of unsold inventory sitting around if the inventory isnt managed well..
  • Options
    that the cars in the RX8 price range are the hardest to sell. You can always find wealthy people looking for a $50K+ vehicle to buy and there will always be sales for the $20K and below cars for folks who are thrifty car shoppers. He said that $25K to $40K are the toughest cars to move? Too costly for a lot of folks and too cheap for others. Even middle income folks who make the money to afford them are usually into the big mortgages, the cost of raising kids, college... It seems to make good sense to me.
  • Options
    My take is that the "Average American" is a sheep in wolves clothing at best when it comes to buying cars. And the RX-8 has a reputation (that rotary engine car) which mostly scares folks away. So the RX-8 comes out when the whole market is really a bunch of scared sheep. Who cares. Sheep are idiots and I love running them down cause most times, they are just standing there being stupid.

Now I confess, I tried hard to be a sheep. For fifteen years I bought American made, Chrysler, Ford and GM. But when the RX-8 came back to life in a FOUR FREAK'N SEATER! I began to dream of becoming a wolf again (my RX-7 called out to my soul from 1987). Then suddenly, my heart pounding, blood rushing, the deal cut, there are sheep to run down and devoured once more, for I am a wolf again. BEWARE Average American.

The young folks do get the difference; they know they can become wolves rather than sheep. Today, coming to working down Huntington Ave in Boston, past the Mass. School of Art, a young guy leaned out over the road as he saw us coming fast. The student, risking his life in my path, twirled his fists rotary fashion. I paddled shifted to first popping 7000 on the twins letting them howl just as I pasted his position. I laughed as I in glance rear to see him pumping his fist Tiger Woods style, cause I had made his day, his wolves blood flowing, at the high howl of twin rotors running free....
  • Options
    A quick Google of "car price trends" the first hit is

http://www.edmunds.com/help/about/press/103766/article.html

and has this for 2004: November 22, 2004

"Last month, the sales-weighted average new vehicle sticker price was $30,371, $268 higher than in September 2004 and $704 higher than in October 2003. The sales-weighted average net price was $25,750, $933 higher than in September 2004 and $518 higher than in October 2003."

On a historical note, the Model T's stunning break through had everything to do with getting the Average American to buy what had been up to that time, the most unimaginable luxury of all, an automobile. Most American's simply believed cars, not that much more expensive, than the Model T were only for the rich. Ford's trick was to convince his own workers through outrageous standards of pay for that time, to buy their own goods. What really took over after that was the pure consumer lust by tens of thousands of middle managers in Banking and Retail industries who were pissed off that Ford factory works could buy cars.

There were much better cars than the Model T at the time, but the consumer mass opinion snubbed those other cars as to expensive. So then Ford's mass appeal largely killed the custom car business. Of course, Ford didn't do much innovation at first and that lack of innovation nearly killed the company just a few years later, which had fallen behind other companies that made innovative and economically appealing products.

Jumping to the current market, the RX-8 rotary engine is a bit to innovative for the Average American, a four seater sports car simply can't be believed or practical, and the gas millage numbers put up by the insanely complex hybrid cars and SUVs have completely blinded folks to the math of gas vs car price. (A 100% increase in the price of gas over 4-5 years is way less than financing the extra 20% price increase in a hybrid car over 4-5 years.)

If the beauty of the Renesis rotary engine design, the wow of the RX-8 classic body, and the pure fun of driving that high rev engine through tight turns with your whole family in the car too, doesn't do the trick for ya, then you've got bucks to burn or you'd best be checking yourself for a pulse.

Bring on the Hydrogen Renesis RX-8 and maybe the mass appeal numbers will kick in.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Glad to see the RX8 owners are alive and well.

Having owned one of the first RX8s to hit these shores (and subsequently having it demolished by a RAM), it's good to see people still discussing this innovative car.

This past weekend, I saw an ad in the local newspaper stating "$7K off" any RX8. Curious, I wanted to see what others were expereincing and why the drop in prices.

Yes, the RX8 is a quirky little number. It can handle with the best of cars out there (short of the exotics). Yes, you can fit 4 people in it.

I think the competition has raised the bar over the past couple of years. While the closest competitor, the 350Z, has raised HP and interior quality, Mazda really hasn't made any significant updates to the RX8. First, the HP fiasco came out when it was first released. While this didn't bother me as much, a lot was made of it (and I eventually took the $500 plus free maintenance deal Mazda offered).

Then the whole issue of "flooding" came to light. Again, this wasn't an issue for me, but Mazda really does need to put stronger batteries in the car.

Most who came into the "rotary head" world hadn't owned a rotary before. They weren't used to having to (horrors!!!!) check the oil. I've always believed it to be just good car maintenance procedure to check the oil every 2nd or 3rd fillup. But, engines have become so maintenance free (at least piston engines), that people didn't think it was something they needed to do.

There was a general perception that a 1.3L engine should get good MPG. Mazda didn't do themselves any favors by stating that the RX8 pre-production models would get 30 MPG as well as have 250 HP. As we know, none of that happened. It's still a mystery (at least it is to me) why Mazda had to "detune" the RENESIS because of cat converter longevity....before they even sold any here.

Add to that, there was the A/C issue....that is, it wasn't very strong. Plus, some heat disapaited into the cabin from the drivetrain tunnel. That didn't help matters.

Now that I'm on the outside looking in, I believe all of the above conspired to make people shy away from the RX8.

My ownership experience was exemplary. Mazda took care of any concerns I had (although it was a bit frustrating to keep taking the car back to the dealership to reflash the ECU all the time and to "fix" A/C issues, oil pan issues, etc).

All that said, if a potential owner knows of all the above, and adjusts their thinking a bit, they'll be rewarded with a car that handles, rides among the best in the sports car world. It's a quick car (although, I wouldn't consider it truly "fast").

I don't know what Mazda's plans are for the RX8. If there is to be a 2nd gen RX8, Mazda has to first, exorcise it from the bugaboos mentioned (nothing they can do about oil consumption given the rotary's inherent design). They need to boost HP either by super/turbo charging, or by adding rotors. The 350Z has upped the ante to 300HP. The RX8 doesn't have to hit that number (since it's lighter), but they do have to show some improvements over where they are today.

All-in-all, the RX8 is still a unique car with unique capabilities.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    I liked the looks of the rx8 when it was a concept car and then it became a reality and I wanted one. Held off from buying because I had just made a car purchase, but started reading up on the car. Owners were doing all this complaining about the car - oil consumption (that's really a bad thing), flooding, and on and on. Wrote the car off for a while. But I had a Mitsu and every time I took it in to my dealer for whatever, I looked those 8's over very good (Mitsu/Mazda dealer) and still really liked it. So, I started asking the salesmen and the service guys about all the "bad" things.

They assured me that oil consumption was normal and that the flooding problem was better with updates to the car and not that bad when you know how to handle it. So, March 2005, I bought one. I knew alot about the car before I bought it and have had no surprises. However, had I been one of the ones to grab one when they became available, I may have very well been unhappy with the "quirks" of the car.

I know this is too long already but a really funny story... my salesman told me that when the cars first arrived on the lot, they wanted the "perfect" spot for them on the lot. So, they move them all to one area on the lot and shut them off. Then, folks start arriving to drive them and almost none of them would start. They had no idea they would flood like they did. The service guys gave them a lesson on proper warm-up and got them all running!! I can just imagine all these guys standing around "How the heck are we gonna sell these things, they won't even start!!"
  • Options
    Styling is what gets people into the showroom and on a test drive. The 9K RPM and the "indy car" sound the RENESIS makes usually seals the deal. Throw in the high handling capabilities, and the RX8 makes for a compelling sports car.

Most (like you) who do some research, and know what to expect, are usually pleased with the car.

But (there's always one of those), having been able to stand back and take a look at the sports car entries over the last couple of years, shows how far some of the RX8's competition has come. I mentioned the 350Z. While I wouldn't trade the RX8's combination of "ride vs handling" for the Z's, 300HP makes up for a lot of "cost cutting" that Nissan had to do with the interior and suspension.

Expanding the RX8's competitors....you can look at the WRX (getting a bit long in the tooth), Mitsu EVO (really "cut rate" materials and performance geared to the fast & furious crowd)...even the Mustang GT (my current ride) and the Pontiac GTO (slow sales that doesn't look to have much of a future) and it becomes clear that a new dawn of HP "wars" has begun. Even with $3/gal gas, HP seems to be regaining significance in the performance car world.

When I bought my RX8, I paid $30K for it.....and was lucky to get that deal. Now, even with major deals to be had with the RX8, it's clear that Mazda has to do something to revive sales. I don't know if there will be any major changes to the '06 models. There was a rumor a year or so ago that there might be a reborn RX7 (with 300 HP) or a redone RX8 (again with 300 HP). Don't know if that rumor ever panned out.

I don't know if Mazda ever got the "flooding issue" sorted out for '05 models, either.

You obviously know what you've got with your RX8. That goes a long way towards adding to the enjoyment of a very unique car. My biggest frustration when talking to others here and elsewhere were the complaints about flooding, oil useage, and MPG. A little reseach would have gone a long way in setting correct expectations by those folks.

Mazda can and should do more to address those same issues, however. With all the ECU reflashes, it sounds like they were taking more of a "band-aid" approach to those complaints rather than to come up with a permanent fix.

Still, I miss my RX8. After mine was totalled, I toyed with the idea of getting another one. But, as they say, that ship has sailed.
  • Options
    The 2006 automatic will be a 6 speed, keeping the paddle shifters. It will also have more HP, but we're not sure yet if this is due to tuning the "low power" 4 port or using the "high power" 6 port engine the manual has. I'm a manual trans. fanatic, but this is tempting!
    No word yet on changes to the manual trans. model.

The reflashes have now settled down. They have pretty much got the air/fuel where they want it. Changes now are mainly operational. Remember, this car is one of the most integrated electronic cars on the market - so they can change braking, steering, etc. with PCM reflashes. I still have trouble believing this, when I look at how simple the PCM is (physically - I get to study it from time to time).

One exciting developement - there is now a prototype 2 door being shown in auto shows. Is this the next RX-7 in development? A direct injection Rotary, and a hybrid!
  • Options
    Really. It's like expecting a IS300 to beat a M3 - it's not designed to be a 3-series destroyer anymore than the RX-8 is designed to blow the doors off of the 350Z.

It's made to be a family-friendly, commuter and city-traffic happy sportscar for the normal person. The Z - tried it - it's a terrible car - it reminds me of old 1960s musclecars - all that power in a straight line and punishment while dong it. There is no smoothness, no easing itself around twisties. It's a totally different car, just like how a Boxter is compared to a S2000. One's refined and useable and the other is more of an enthusiast's car. Both are good cars, mind you, but the RX-8 pulls off the same trick the Boxter has for roadsters - it's great all-around and just enough for the average buyer to handle without beating themselves up or getting into trouble.

It's fine as it is. For $27K, plus rebates once the 2006s come out - I defy you to find a better sportscar for the price.
  • Options
    Thanks, pathstar....as always, you continue to be a wealth of information.

I do agree....the the ECU, PCM, etc is one of the most integrated I've seen on any car. I'm sure that being a tuner/tester, that having such an integrated computer does frustrate you from time to time, though.

I'd be interested in hearing even rumors regarding the manual transmission model changes.

I didn't put much stock in the hydrogen RX8 being thrown about several months ago. I know something like that isn't even remotely on the production horizon. But, direct injection and a hybrid model would get my attention.

Matter of fact, a hybrid would seem to me to be very doable. Plus, it would be a way to "kick up" performance and fuel economy at the same time. I can't even begin th imagine the complexity of the computer control over a hybrid RENESIS, though. That begs several questions.

--if the fuel/air mixture reflashes have truly been "optimized" to keep the flooding in check, how would the starting/stopping of the RENESIS be handled in a hybrid type system?
    --would it be a true hybrid?

Any news on the convertible front?

While a reborn RX7 is intrguing, what could it possibly offer over the RX8? The RX8 already had coupe styling (just with 2 extra doors)? Bigger/more rotors? Turbo/supercharging?
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Just curious. Does anyone know what the average monthly sales are for the RX-8 ?
    Nissan sells ( on average ) about 2000 350 Z's / month. I realize that these two vehicles don't compete with each other directly but they are both what I consider to be niche vehicles. Is there a Mazda website for sales figures ??

Mazda could only WISH for z numbers. In numbers sold the Z blows the 8 into the weeds and if you add the G35 coupe and the Z it becomes a REAL spanking :)

Heck, the low-volume "halo car" S2000 has now out-sold the RX-8 for the year so far! The S2000 sales were spurred by a discounted lease program - but Mazda had a discounted lease program going as well.

Too bad Ford does not break out the Mustang by GT and v-6, since I would be curious as to how the v-8 GT did.

When folks go to plunk down $30k or more for a sports car they have lots of choices, and I much as I love the looks and driving dynamics of my RX-8 I can see why sales are slow: TERRIBLE mileage, flooding problem, rotary "differences", Mazda dealer network, first year problems and recalls, etc. But I think the biggest thing is just the other choices - you can get a v-8 Mustang that gets better mileage (on regular), is faster/quicker, and handles decent (score one for the RX-8!) for the same or less money. You DO see tons of them on the road (score another for the RX-8).

Here are the numbers for September 2005.

Model 9/2005 9/2004 change YTD 05 YTD 04 change
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - ---------
    RX-8 1,148 651 76% 5,929 7,525 -21%
    350Z 1,963 2,158 -9.0% 21,325 23,939 -10.5%
    G35 Cpe 1,993 2,188 -8.9% 20,283 22,084 -7.8%
    S2000 659 482 36.7% 6,533 5,835 12.5%
    Mustang 10,976 6,333 73.3% 128,485 94,468 36.0%

EDIT: I think the RX-8 sales numbers are WRONG. As of July 2005 Mazda was reporting 9,498 RX-8s sold, so unless they gave a LOT of folks their money back they listed the numbers wrong. I think those are MIATA numbers. The RX-8 numbers may be:

"RX-8" 949 1,827 -48% 11,592 19,226 -40%

They crossed up the Miata and RX-8 sales numbers, it appears.

FYI, I account for 1 each in the YTD 2005 totals for the RX-8 and the S2000 :shades:

Dennis
  • Options
    Sales numbers for the '05 Mustang GT were roughly 32% of total Mustang volume of 190,000 units. That means Ford sold about 61,000 '05 Mustang GTs. '06s are just hitting the streets over the past few weeks, so no numbers are available.

I wouldn't slam the RX8 so much, however. Don't know what the 350Z numbers have been, but it's clear their are a lot more of them on dealer's lots than there was a couple of years ago. I'll assume their numbers have drifted downward, too.

The S2000 is a "niche" vehicle much like the RX8.

Having lived with both the Mustang GT and the RX8, the Mustang isn't real finicky. You fire it up and go. And, it does go like a bat out of hell.

And yes, I do get better MPG on regular gas with the Mustang than I did with the RX8 burining premium (about 17-18 MPG in town and about 23-24 MPG on the highway).

It can't match the handling finesse of the RX8, but is a lot faster and dare I say, just as comfy. But, my guess is, you'd be able to buy an rX8 for less money than a Mustang GT right now. There isn't any Ford $$ support on the GT. Nor, is there much discounting from MSRP on them, either.

They really are two different cars. The GT makes wonderful V8 muscle car noises and has the performance to back it up. The RX8 is a scalpel to carve up roads. Id say that Ford has learned a thing or two about "tightening" up the Mustang from Mazda, to boot.

It's not all about straight line acceleration, though. As we debated ad infinitum with the GTO crowd (which in '04 guise was a tad slower than the Mustang GT and the '05 GTO a tad faster), the entire package has to be taken into account. Ford keeps selling and cranking out Mustang GTs at a breakneck pace, while GM isn't even sure there will be much of a future for the GTO since it's been such a disappointment.

If the MAzda team did indeed get the "buggaboos" sorted out with the RX8, it's sales will only be helped by upping it's performance. The rest of the package (styling, braking, steering, shifting, ride, etc) is just fine.
  • Options
    There isn't any info. on the car (I named it incorrectly - it's a "concept car" at this stage). I don't subscribe to the argument that some "hybrids" are or are not "true" hybrids. That's an elitist concept. If it can run on electricity or gas, then it's a hybrid in my books.

Actually, the hybrid renesis wouldn't have a flooding problem. The electric motor that drives the car in a hybrid is used to "start" the gasoline (or diesel) engine by just using an electric "clutch" between them. So the rotary would be "started" at over 2000 RPM - which equates to near perfect combustion chamber sealing. Remember, the main reason the RX-8 floods is at 250 RPM (starting speed) the seals perform poorly, meaning they can't eject unburnt or unvaporized fuel from the chambers - it builds up and results in flooding once it soaks the plugs.

One little known fact is the current engine has plugs installed on "ports" that could be used to inject oil into the combustion chambers to allow a quick recovery from flooding. We have been considering using these to allow starting when at -30 deg. (the car is very suseptable to flooding when it gets that cold - even with the new programming). We have only flooded ours once when it was that cold, and even when boosted by a tow truck it wouldn't start. It had to be towed into a warm garage before it could be re-started. If you've never lived in a climate such as ours (Edmonton Alberta Canada) you can't imagine how "uncomfortable" it is trying to get a vehicle started at these temps., ankle deep in snow, frost on all surfaces. Even we say "YUCK"! ;) A little digression just so everyone understands why some people will put up with hurricanes. :)

I'm not sure the current chassis design could be made into a convertible, as there are "tubes" made up in the body (particularly around the side doors - both top and bottom) that are required to give the car it's rigidity. If you cut the top tube the car would severely distort. There is always an engineering solution of course, but could they sell enough to make it practical to produce?

What the RX-7 offers over the RX-8 is pure uncompromized performance. It is hard to drive (because many of us can't handle the performance), it is uncomfortable (rough ride), and impractical (seats only two - very little cargo space). BUT, it goes from 0-60 in under 5 sec., will go faster than any public highway will tolerate, and is SEXY! And that is why it's replacement is wanted by current owners. I like the RX-8. It handles at least as well as my RX-7, but if you ever get a chance to ride in a 3rd gen RX-7, you'll understand just how much "performance" the RX-8 is missing. We want that with the RX-8 handling and braking. That is what we expect if a new RX-7 is brought to market.
  • Options
    if your light is on every morning, then your tires are LOW! inflate them to the proper temperature in the morning! you're driving on low pressure, you're sacrificing gas mileage and wearing your tires more aggressively and less normally (+ sacrificing handling as well).

tire pressure goes up while driving (normal), and that's why your lights go out when you start driving. the warm tire pressures are typically 4-6psi higher.

afaik, the light goes on if the pressure falls below 26psi... that's way too low. inflate your tires to 32psi (i think that's the recommended pressure) in the morning, so it's cold temperature. don't inflate your tires after driving.. let the tires cool down for 4 or more hours.
  • Options
    Owned an RX-7 in 1987 and a Mustang 5.0 in 1991. All I can tell you is that only RX-7 called out to my soul over the years, even though the Mustang 5.0 killed the RX-7 in most every way except twisties. Driving, no COMMUNING with the RX-7, rotary revving, sweet design, nimble intelligent road manners just held a sacred place in my head. My Mustang 5.0 was just junk. Driving the 5.0 was nothing but work and the seats and suspension were the most uncomfortable I've ever owned.

Today, I feel the same way. My RX-8 makes me feel fantastic just sliding into the seats. I feel intelligent and stone cold cool starting her up pulling out on the road, twin rotors howling.

Before I even drove the RX-8 I gave another glance at the new Mustang. I did the full dealer treatment, test drive, good look at the options, look at the GT, and thinking about the rag top. In the end, the feelings I had for the new Mustang were the same as years back. Nicer in many ways, but the same in all the basics areas.

It would have been easier to buy a Mustang but the RX-8 just grabs me deep in my soul.
  • Options
    I realize I have at least one tire low when the light comes on. The problem I have with the system is not telling you which one is low. I understand the dynamics of air warming and expanding, tire wear.... I just don't like running around my car trying to find the "winning" tire 2 or 3 mornings per week!!
  • Options
    Mustangs sell well and they sell on raw horsepower and the legacy behind it. Most people that buy the Mustang are buying it because it is THE American sports car. Even though the Corvette fills that bill as well, the Vette appeals to the folks who are a little more refined. Not to step on any toes here, but the Mustang is the ultimate "Redneck" sports car in WV. Every coal minin', gun-totin', [non-permissible content removed]-huntin', baccer-spittin', red blooded backwoods boy has a Mustang GT in the driveway. And, by God, they don't drive no [non-permissible content removed] car!! Mazda, Mitsubishi, Honda, Toyota... or any other of these makers will ever build a sports car to appeal to them!!
  • Options
    I liked the suggestion made in this site a while ago - on the way home inflate your tires to 35 PSI or so. Then next morning, let the air out until they are all at the correct pressure before you start driving. Do this once a month and you shouldn't ever see that light on.

It makes good sense for all of us with all our vehicles. Tires do loose air over time. Driving without enough air is bad for mileage, the tires, and safety.
  • Options
    still has 3...yep 3...leftover 2004 RX-8's. They're all black and have MSRP's of 31,500 to 32,xxx. The "cheap" one has been advertised in the paper on Sunday's for months at about $7000 of MSRP but no takers.

I'm sorely tempted, but I just can't see myself dumping my old 4WD truck to get one. Especially with winter approaching.
  • Options
    lhess,

It should only take one morning. Tires don't lose pressure that fast. Just try checking all four tires the next morning, and inflate the one that's low.

So you wouldn't be running around 2 or 3 mornings per week... you'd just do it once and if you make sure that all your tires are 32psi cold (in the morning), then you should be set for months.