Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Report Your Local Gas Prices Here (retired discussion, please see the new one)

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    $2.47 now in Potomac.

Funny how prices skyrocket up, then ooze down slowly.

-juice
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    :D $2.02 at Mr. Patel's :D
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    was reporting on a station in Austin at $1.99. I witnessed $2.04 at the local Go Mart on my way in to work this a.m. Prices seem to be falling .01 or so virtually everyday.
    We have a Shell and Exxon station that are back to back, it's funny to watch them duke it out on price. The Shell usually lowers prices first, but then the Exxon matches them.

Both has been at $2.49 or so, then suddenly the Shell dropped to the $2.3x range, I forget exactly but the difference was more than a dime (and they are literally back-to-back!).

I find that strange because Shell is the one with the gas card for deeper discounts, not Exxon. You snooze, you lose, I guess.

-juice
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Central VA, 87

$2.059 at Sheetz and Exxon
    $2.099 at Hess

The local news was doing a story last night on a nearby town I call the armpit of Central VA: Shell 87 at $1.999.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The usual place...

87 - $2.199
    89 - $2.299
    93 - $2.379
    94 - $2.439
    diesel - $2.439

kcram - Pickups Host
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    WaWa, Blackwood, NJ $192.9
    The Exxon in Potomac dropped its price to match the Shell, and in Georgetown the Exxon was down to $2.41 last night.

-juice
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Regular is now $2.10 at the Sunoco at Rhawn and Verree in NE Philly. Ultra is $2.38, Super is $2.30, and 89 grade is $2.18.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Dwopping the pwices, making us believe there is a fwee mawket. Its cowwusion I tell ya, cowwusion. ;)
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    I watch this show every night and Bill has been following gas (and other energy commodities) prices pretty closely since they skyrocketed during hurricane Katrina. He thinks there was (is) collusion between the oil companies to raise gas prices artificially high for the sole purpose of gouging, and now he thinks prices have come down so much because the oil companies are afraid of the backlash. Bill's had many guests on his show to discuss what's going on with energy prices and while many agrre with him, many other claim prices are market driven. Both sides present good supporting data to make their case and there seems to be a split of opinions in this forum of what actually drives energy prices. I don't know what to believe anymore. Both sides present such a good argument, either is believeable. I just wish I knew what REALLY determines energy prices.
    Couldn't resist...

kcram - Pickups Host
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    If the companies really did have complete control of the pricing and could raise it that much at will, why wasn't the price higher all along? Assuming that there was a plan to do this, which is certainly implied by collusion, wouldn't a better plan been to have raise the price slowly YEARS ago and take in slightly smaller windfalls over many years instead of going for the whole enchilada all at once and risk a backlash???

I just have to disagree about this being a plot of "big oil" All you have to do is watch how the traders react to EVERY piece of news during a day, driving the price in whatever direction they think current events will take things. It was fear and panic in the commodity market as far as I could tell. We had a sequence of events that led to a stampede on the trading floors that had virtually nothing to do with actual supply and demand.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Regular is at 2.19 a gallon. We have the highest state gas taxes in the Southeast (and maybe in the nation).
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    We're finally down to pre-Karina or even marginally lower levels here.

It was all a market test. Things changed when it got hot under the collar. Prices are down here like 25-30% in 5 weeks. I can't imagine we've really seen supply or demand change that much.
    "We're finally down to pre-Karina or even marginally lower levels here."

Then I would blame your local retailers. The national average pre-Katrina (August 30) price for unleaded was $2.604/gal. It dropped back down below that level, on the national average, on October 25, when the national average price was at $2.593. Apparently, your local stations are slower than the rest of the nation, by better than 3 weeks, in getting the prices back down to pre-Katrina levels.

The current national average is at $2.222/gal. The last time we had the price at this level was July 7, when the price was at $2.221.

"It was all a market test. Things changed when it got hot under the collar."

For it to be a market test, there must have been collusion. So I go back to the host's previous post: IF they have that ability, why do a stupid rapid upsurge in price which would guarantee 'investigations' by our political heros? Why not simply gradually raise the price by a penny or two every week? This would give them prices $1/gallon higher after a year or so without all the 'gouging' ranting and raving.

Market test for what? "Gee, I wonder if we jack up the prices 0.75 in two weeks, d'ya think anybody'll notice? Nah, let's go fer it!"

You must think the oil industry is not only incredibly evil, but also incredibly stupid. The LAST thing the industry wants is rapid price upswings because these are just the sort of market fluctuations which could lead to individuals changing their consumption habits.
    ....there have been very good points made to support either case. It doesn't make any sense for the oil companies to do all of their gouging at once, but I don't notice any of the oil companies doing anything to help the consumer either during these times when they're raking in all these profits. At least they could be spending some of those profits building some new refineries and/or locating/developing new energy sources. We don't hear anything about this, instead we just hear about how much profit they're making.
    "... when they're raking in all these profits."

A note about 'all these profits': last month I kept hearing about the 'record' profits Exxon-Mobile was reporting for the 3rd quarter. I kept hearing the phrase "ten BILLION dollars in profit" being bandied about. I did a bit of checking by reading the EM's actual quarterly report:

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/exxonmobil/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&newsId=2- 0051027005507&ndmHsc=v2*A1072962000000*B1130442993000*C4102491599000*DgroupByDate*J2*N1001- 106&newsLang=en&beanID=2030803304&viewID=news_view

It turns out that the actual net income (profit) that Exxon-Mobile made on the sale of downstream petroleum products (gasoline, diesel, aviation fuel, kerosene, heating oil, etc.) IN THE UNITED STATES was $1.1B for the quarter. And for the quarter, they produced a bit over 14B gallons of downstream petroleum product for sale in the U.S.

I'll leave it up to you to figure the amount of profit/gallon they made.
    Again, any documented changes in supply or demand that can be correlated to price changes? I didn't think so. Who controls the local retailers? When they ALL lower their prices at a given rate that differs from elsewhere...maybe it's just a big coincidence.

"Market test for what?"

To see what a quick gouge will do for their profits. Drop the line about profits per gallon unless you dare to compare it to the past and then explain why markets not connected to gulf oil in any way also saw a price gouge. We both know the evidence will never show up. It's all an experiment. Oil makes the world go round, and they know it. It's just a little game to see what happens.

Big oil stupid? Probably not, in the long run. They aren't dumb enough to run prices to the point of breaking economy. Evil? Well, depends on your leanings. Hard to call them benevolent. Maybe it's different for those who aren't connected to the industry in some way.

But in the end, prices are lower now, and the economy is better for it. All's well that ends well, I suppose. Of course, this won't be the end.
    "Again, any documented changes in supply or demand that can be correlated to price changes? I didn't think so."

That straw man argument.....again.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that economic models exist which will accurately predict the price of oil (or gas) based on known supply and known demand. Now assume that these models can also accurately predict prices based on speculation of numerous other factors (ie. disruptions to supply caused by hurricanes or sabotage or strikes, changes to demand based on foreign development, etc.)

I assume that many such models exist, and are used by traders on a continuous basis to help them with their continous business of buying and selling. I also assume that these various economic models are also fairly well guarded secrets; particularly those models which prove accurate, because having an accurate price-prediction model would be a huge asset. Being an economist, you probably already know this.

So what makes you think that anyone in here can come up with some sort of model in which we can plug in the documented changes in both the supply and demand to show the corresponding change in price? But you KNOW that such a model can't be produced; which is why you continually ask for it.

Short response - just because the model can't be produced doesn't mean there is no correlation between supply and demand, and the resultant prices.

"...and then explain why markets not connected to gulf oil in any way also saw a price gouge."

First, if this is to be discussed rationally, let's try to leave words like 'gouge' out of the discussion since these words are entirely subjective. I have no idea what qualifies a price increase as a 'gouge' in your mind just as you have no idea what it takes to be a 'gouge' in mine.

So, let's examine why markets not connected to gulf oil 'in any way' also saw a rapid price increase.

First, there were many areas where the refineries where NOT impacted, but THEIR supply of oil WAS impacted (most of the Texas coast). Rather than just let these refineries shut down, do you think that, PERHAPS, they began receiving crude oil from other areas besides the gulf? Do you think that, perhaps, this would have made less crude available to your local refiners?

Second, one of the first things the President did was to substantially reduce the various regional requirements for multiple gasoline blends. In other words, he made it much easier for refineries in other parts of the country to supply product to those parts of the country most impacted. The reason why the SE did NOT sustain prolonged, widespread fuel shortages/outages is because they were able to bring in fuel from other portions of the country. Perhaps your local refineries were sharing some of their product with areas that wouldn't ordinarily receive it.

Therefore, your initial assertion that some markets were "not connected to gulf oil in any way" is false. Unless you were referring to the markets in Europe....although I would imagine that even European markets felt some affects as the SE received some refined product imports in addition to the normal crude oil imports.

Now, about my 'line' about profits per gallon: I don't know what the PAST profits/gallon were. I don't care (although if they were less than .08/gallon, I would find that evidence of 'benevolence' right there). For all I know, the past profit was only a .04 a gallon and now they've jumped up to the 'obscene' level of around .08/gallon. Oh, the horror.

But I suppose $25.8 BILLION dollars in TAXES that Exxon-Mobile paid in the last quarter (which does NOT include the federal/state/local gas taxes paid by the consumer at the pump which averages around 0.40/gallon nationwide) is just fine hunky dory. In fact, you've opined that the oil companies should pay MORE taxes......which are ultimately paid by whom? Yeah, this makes total sense. There's no better way to lower the prices at the pump than to institutue another tax..... :confuse:

Big oil "probably" not stupid in the long run? Well, there's an understatement. I wonder how many extremely intelligent MBA's (not to mention fairly competent economists) work for the EM's of the world? Yes, I too think they are "probably" not stupid.

Benevolent/Evil - pointless discussion, destined to go nowhere.
    Nowhere indeed. You can explain what supposedly hasn't happened, but you can't explain what has happened. Quite a skill.

"just because the model can't be produced doesn't mean there is no correlation between supply and demand, and the resultant prices."

It also doesn't mean there is any correlation. The only correlation is between the emotional actions of traders and which experiment the corporate powers want to try next. That's exactly what I ask for a model as proof...because it doesn't exist. No real justification exists.

I haven't seen any documented changes in supply and demand, and I won't even get into a model. The talking heads and soulless politicos just assure everything that the pricing is all on the up and up, and we should believe it. Just be a good patriot and do what you're told, yeah, it'll be OK.

" Perhaps your local refineries were sharing some of their product with areas that wouldn't ordinarily receive it. "

Perhaps...but perhaps really isn't good enough, is it? Perhaps isn't justification. But when you have the gold, you make the rules. At least until the bullets and guillotines catch up.

And about corporate taxes, how much of a giveaway do you want? The corporate contributions to IRS rolls are already at about a record low, should we just abolish them totally? Maybe more deficits are a good thing.

"..although I would imagine that even European markets felt some affects as the SE received some refined product imports in addition to the normal crude oil imports."

I'd love to see a justified correlation between Katrina area increases in other countries vs what they imported to help the US.

The numbers can't be justified. It was all just a game, and we'll see it again, I wager within the next 12 months. Some people and some states will make bank, as usual. And those people will pretend and lie that everything is peachy keen.

That's enough on this subject, I am going to have the red state trickle-downers flocking in here again, and those lobotomized souls aren't worth it. Back to the cars, away from the partisan garbage. Good day.
    ...I don't buy Exxon gasoline anyway and all the Mobils have become Lukoil which is run by the Russian mob.

Anyway, the Sunoco, (a local Philadelphia company) on Rhawn and Verree in NE Philly is down a penny with regular at $2.09. Ultra is $2.37.
  • au94au94 Member Posts: 171
    1.99 for regular this morning
    Local Go Mart at 1.99 for regular this a.m. The two local Shell stations were at 2.03 for regular.
    ...we'll get $1.999 also. The next town over already has it, and we're down to $2.059. Just in time for a Thanksgiving trip!
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    which means with my Kroger Plus card I can get it for $1.95
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    WaWa gas $1.90.9
    usual Sunoco truck stop, Palisades Park NJ. All gasoline down 8 cents from last Tuesday, diesel down 4.

87 - $2.119
    89 - $2.219
    93 - $2.299
    94 - $2.359
    diesel - $2.399

kcram - Pickups Host
    Hess 87 at $2.049

The rest along my commute are still holding at $2.059.
    I spotted 4 separate stations (2 Shell stations, 1 Exxon, and one generic) at $1.99 for regular yesterday headed into downtown Austin. It was at $2.00 at the local Chevron this a.m.
    "Lowest Price" lives up to its name: $1.989 for 87.

Express Car Wash no-name gas, East Coast, and another no-name brand at a convenience store are all $2.029.
    Just like they moved gas from one part of the country to another to help cope with the supply issue right after the hurricanes wiped out civilization as we know it:), I'm wondering if the price drops are being phased in.

The price here in State College had been moving down with everyone else. Some place were lower, some were higher, but we generally were moving with the group. But we've been stuck on $2.13 for about two weeks now while the prices seem to have been dropping most other places. The Reading/Lancaster area in PA is runningdown around $1.95, but that's down 10 cents since we dropped to our current price. :confuse:
  • addiaddi Member Posts: 33
    Fuel:

Henderson, KY: #87 = $1.929

Evansville, IN: #87 = $1.989
    ....Fox News is doing a piece on why these low (relatively speaking) gas prices are bad for the country. I'm interested to find out why they say it's so. Could gas prices be a catch 22? Either pay now or pay later?
    That's the JoePa effect, Sneaks... when the football team is going good late in the season, why not make a few bucks? ;)

kcram - Pickups Host
    That's usually the case around here. On a home football weekend, prices seemed to mysteriously bump up on on Sat when everyone arrived in town and would probably need to fill up to go home. But this season that has not been the case, and it really struck me as odd.

Prices did drop here yesterday to $2.11
    I want to my brother-in-law's house in Maryland for Thanksgiving. The price of Regular in NE Philly is around $2.07, but out in places like Kennett Square and Longwood, rather wealthy areas, the price was more like $2.21 for Regular.
    ...I filled both the tanks on my girlfriend's LaCrosse and my Cadillac Seville STS yesterday. Regular is now $2.05 and Ultra is $2.32 at the Sunoco on Rhawn and Verree in NE Philly.
    The lowest yesterday was $1.999 for 87 at Kangaroo and Chevron. Unfortunately the latter was out of 87 and 89, and I didn't want to take a chance with Kangaroo. So I went a few doors down to fill up on BP, where it was $2.029.

Meanwhile, farther north in VA, $1.999 was common, and I saw $1.979 at East Coast in Front Royal, VA.

In Pittsburgh over the weekend, the going price seemed to be $2.099-$2.139, but I found one BP station for $2.039.
    In Georgetown, DC, they're down to $2.31 now.

-juice
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    in Glenn Dale, MD is down to $2.119 for 87. I forget the other grades, and they're not going by simple 10-cent increments anymore.
    Down two more cents in State College, PA to $2.09 for regular. Mid grade at $2.19, $2.39 for premium,
    at Hess, Central VA.

89 is 10 cents more; 93 is 20 cents higher.
    ...at my backup station, I found a "1" - Mobil, NJ4 westbound, Hackensack NJ

87 - $1.999
    89 - $2.099
    93 - $2.199
    diesel - $2.459

kcram - Pickups Host
    $2.07 in Happy Valley
    has 2 stations (Shell and Go Mart) this a.m. at $1.94 for 87.
    Interesting - gas prices have generally crept up .02-.04 in the last few days. The lowest I've seen lately has been 1.96 for 87.
    Noticed it too. Maybe we've been living in a fool's paradise for the past month. The Hess station near my workplace went from $2.05 to $2.11 for Regular. The Sunoco station is 2 cents up across the board.
    In Georgetown (DC) it's $2.34. In Potomac, $2.29. Odd because usually Potomac is more expensive.

-juice
    Sunoco truck stop, Palisades Park NJ

87 - $1.999
    89 - $2.099
    93 - $2.179
    94 - $2.239
    diesel - $2.359

kcram - Pickups Host
This discussion has been closed.