Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Vibe/ Matrix v. PT Cruiser v. ZX5 v. Protege5 v. Elantra GT v. Aerio SX

Comments

• joffficerjoffficer Member Posts: 169
    The seat (at least the drivers) has to be very adjustable. My Hyundai GT's are great for that! I like the leather and all the adjustments so you can put the seat where YOU want it. Not where some engineer thought it should be!
    During a long drive I mess with the adjustments to change positions without moving the seat to and from. This helps comfort, and makes the trip go faster.
  • mrolandmroland Member Posts: 129
    Keep in mind the seats in a Focus SE are totally different than a ZX5. Those are called "lowback" as in no support, especially for your bum. They would probably get a do not buy from me. The ZX3 and 5 has what are called the "sport" seats with extra padding on the bottom and along the sides for cornering. Seats have always been subjective. I have never owned a car that has had the "perfect" seat. The PT Cruiser, and mid 80's Saab 900 are the ones I remember liking the most...
  • th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    true I have different seating positions for highway driving/around town/long distance/city... depending on the amount of attention i need to devote to driving...
  • tdoghbmtdoghbm Member Posts: 1
    Hello! I am looking for an opinion between the Pontiac Vibe and the Chrysler PT Cruiser. I test drove both of them and cannot decide which to choose! I have 2 big dogs, which is my main reason for these vehicles...help!
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    there will be a five door SVT focus available. Looks like a SVT-ized ZX5. Looks good, but of course I'm biased ;-)

http://www.focaljet.com/

According to Edmunds their will be a lot more trim levels next year. It has a base model with the 15 inch wheels, all the way up to SVT. 2002 Zx5 only one trim level, loaded....

I wish I had two big dogs....

I like the Cruiser much better. It doesn't look like a bad photocopy of my car, nor is a Toyota underneath. PT made in in America, and every one still catches my eye every time I see it. The reasons I did not get one are fuel mileage, price, and heft. Cornering ability was way high on my list, if comfort was tops, this would be the car...
    The current issue of Consumers Reports has a review of these type vehicles this month: Jetta Wagon, Matrix/Vibe, ZX5, Pro5, and Subaru Outback.
    They liked the Jetta and Matrix twins the most, but thought the driving position in the Matrix and Vibe was not good at all. The Focus handled best, but guess what, far below average relibility kept it off recommendation. The Pro5 was too noisy and rough riding for them, and the Subaru had issues too...
  • winlet28winlet28 Member Posts: 19
    Yeah they drive and handle great but just look at the problem area to see if you want to purchase that car. I sold my 2000 Jetta due to lots of "little" electrical problems. Loved the car too. Fun to drive and built really well.

My neighbor sells auto parts for a major dealer in our area and he talked to the service men at VW and NONE of them will own one. Same issue, electrical problems and in the shop a lot....maybe not now......

But hey, if you like the car buy it. Just get the extented warrenty. :-)
    I saw a Cruiser with the Woody package last night. White with the wood trim, and special factory chrome spoke wheels. Very nice looking. However the grey interior just didn't match quite right. Too bad its not real wood like a 1948 Town & Country...
  • hardoohardoo Member Posts: 31
    These cars have attracted lots of interest in the past year or so, with big articles in both Car & Driver and Consumer Reports in the last few months. And I expect that in the coming year even more people will be drawn to 5-door hatchbacks, which offer some SUV functionality with a better driving experience, better gas mileage, and a better price than the trucks which have dominated the roads in the last decade. In the next year, I plan on purchasing one of these vehicles. The contenders:

1. Ford Focus ZX5 -- decent looking car that apparently handles very well, with the added bonus of an SVT 170 hp version in 2003. Unfortunately, the Focus has had a host of reliability problems, and I even saw a piece on TV last night about melting parts under the hood. As someone looking to buy and keep this vehicle for 8-10 years, I pass.

2. Hyundai Elantra GT -- great value and a great warranty for an improving product. However, I am not ready to be a Hyundai man, nor will I buy a Daewoo, a Kia, or a Suzuki.

3. Pontiac Vibe -- Toyota reliability with Pontiac styling equals GM's best small car. However, I can't see paying more for a Pontiac with less residual value and a lesser warranty.

4. Toyota Matrix -- the economy of a Corolla combined with a sportier stance and more useful cabin make for one intriguing vehicle. I really want to want this car, but as Car & Driver wrote, I "couldn't find love for it." Its looks, beyond eccentric, strike my tastes as odd. My head keeps telling me that I should like this car, but every time I look at it, my gut objects.

5. Chrysler PT Cruiser -- unique retro looks combined with cargo capacity and affordability make this vehicle a strong contender. This is the vehicle that I wish I didn't want, as my head tells me that it's risky to gamble on 8-10 years from a Chrylser product. And these concerns received some confirmation this week, as Chrysler recalled all 2001 and 2002 models for some fuel pump modifications. But despite every objection from my head, this vehicle is the one which most speaks to my gut. It is definitely one of my finalists.

6. Mazda Protege5 -- perhaps the best compromise vehicle in the bunch for what I'm seeking. While it may not be as distinctive as the Cruiser, it has a sporty look that I admire. And while it may not have the reputation of a Toyota, it is a well-constructed vehicle still made in Japan. Basically, it offers a driving experience recommended by Car & Driver as well as a reliability record recommended by Consumer Reports. And while it doesn't speak to my gut like the Cruiser, it is a car that I think I could grow to love.

Ultimately, the Matrix, Cruiser, and P5 look like my 3 finalists with the Matrix a distant third at this point. My final decision will probably come down to which dealership will provide me with the best value and which manufacturer is offering the best incentives when I'm ready to make a move. Thoughts?

Pat
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Looks like you're shopping the "right way" (if there is such a thing). I'm a Cruiser owner, so you'll see some bias. Outside of the Hyundai, which which fell out of my comparisons early, for many of the same reasons you probably had. Plus, subjectively, the Hyundai, while giving their cars the good ole "college try" still feel a couple of generations behind the rest of those on your list (kind of like an early '90s Celica...which isn't a bad thing). I have to agree with Car and Driver. The Cruiser feels much more expensive than it really is. It's just a very high quality piece when compared to the others. Now, Chrysler just upped their warranty, which is "icing on the cake".

If "style" enters at all into the equation, that's subjective, but that's where the Cruiser shines. The Mazda is nice, too. I'm pretty ambivalent about the Vibe/Matrix twins, even driving standard and "hot" versions. Same with the Ford. I like the Focus, just wish I could have been more certain of them getting all the "kinks" out of it.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Here goes the Focus flag waver again, but I have never heard of any Focus owner have something melt under the hood. I could give you a list of common problems that crop up on the website I visit and melting parts has never been one of them. I have no idea why the media continues to pick on the Focus. It is a great car, and a real surprise from Ford. Too bad they keep the well built ones in Europe where it has won quality awards, whereas here it is considered another lemon in Ford's history of Citrus fruits. (Pinto, Maverick, Tempo). At least this one fun to drive.
    Best of luck, I have 9K on my ZX5 with no major issues or RECALLS!!
    Maybe the website that you frequent doesn't provide a representative sample of Focus owners. I pulled this report off of Car & Driver:

"NHTSA Upgraded Ford Focus Fire Probe
    August 16, 2002
    Page 1 of 1

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said on its Web site that it upgraded its investigation into reports of engine compartment fires in Ford Focus cars.
    NHTSA opened the investigation in March after receiving seven complaints of engine compartment fires near the battery. NHTSA said it has since had two more complaints, and Ford reported 61 similar complaints and 286 warranty claims relating to fire, scorched parts or a burning odor."
  • elantradriverelantradriver Member Posts: 14
    For those of you who have dismissed the Elantra GT because of Hyundai's bad reputation from the early 90's I urge you to take a second look. Hyundai has come an incredibly long way in a very short time. The GT is definitely on par if not better than every other car being discussed here in this forum. My only grips about it is that the 140hp engine should be upgraded. If your going to call a car a GT it should have a larger, sportier engine than the base model. As well the back hatch lighting needs to be improved. In the dark it is sometimes hard to find things back there with such a small amount of light.
  • bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    I have never driven a Celica. But my sister has an early 90's Camry. The Elantra is a much preferred car. The Camry is solid, but other than that the Elantra is superior in ride, materials and even engine (she has the 4 cylinder)is better.

I always use the comparison of the two to illustrate how far cars (even economy cars) have come in the 90's.

Yes, do call me a Hyundai man. If being a Hyundai man means a person who test drove the competition and found the Hyundai to be the best in price, features, with a very good ride and quality. That would be me :-)

Y
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    The Elantra is a significantly larger car inside than an early 90's Acura Lengend (the largest Acura). It seems quite a bit larger than the last generation (soon to be two generations ago) Accord. Although the Elantra isn't as good a handling car (at least in GLS form) as a Focus, it is significantly more powerful and quite a bit more comfortable. It's also more reliable.
  • biker16biker16 Member Posts: 26
    Facts:

Focus #1 in owner loyalty even with the recalls, #1 for the past 2 years and leading half way thru this year.

Polk.com

Autonews.com

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=40458

"Comparing the 2002 and 2001 models, the Focus improved 17 percent in problems per 100 vehicles after three months in service, according to the J.D. Power Initial Quality Study.

The Focus falls "just slightly below" the industry average of 133 problems per 100 vehicles, J.D. Power said."

improvements for the 2003 Focus

better interior materials, a 2Db decrease in road noise, Traction control, heated Seats and mirrors. and the new 2.3l PZEV Focus.

Fixing the Focus

What: Squeak, rattle complaints

Change: 42% reduction in complaints for 2002 model versus 2001 model

How: New tool more accurately gauges torque when installing nuts, bolts or fasteners

What: Wind and cabin noise

Change: 18% reduction in complaints 2002 vs. 2001 model

How: Thicker cabin carpet, more sound deadening under floorpan and engine firewall, new door handle seals, use of ultrasonic air leakage transmitter on every vehicle, new air leakage test

official Recall history.

Recalls

2000 model year

Recalls: 7

Units: 834,317

2001 model year

Recalls: 3

Units: 20,073

2002 model year

Recalls: 1

Units: 569

The BMW X5 has had 11 recalls Where are all the people complaining about it's quality?

The Focus is #1 in reliabilty in germany there is no reason it shouldn't be the same way here.

• maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The Focus is #1 in reliabilty in germany there is no reason it shouldn't be the same way here.

You are right. Maybe building them in Mexico wasn't such a hot idea.
    you think detroit union labor would be any better? ;-)

I'd be curious to see defect brake downs by the U.S. made Focuses versus the Mexican made ones.
    Maybe it's supplier issues. It seems that Ford gets in trouble when it tries to cheap out production and squeeze everyone and everything but their own big belly. I assume that there is something fundamentally different about Ford of Europe but by appearance it's location, location, location.

My experience with multiple VWs tells me that it's not the first time a difference has been seen between Mexican and European production.
    I really think the difference between U.S. and Europe spec focus is the two different markets they are sold to. I think people expect more quality materials and better options that we might expect in a higher class car. I think here in the U.S. we expect compacts to be cheaper, not as well equipped as the average western european consumer might. I think it's just Ford building to their respective markets. I do wish they would just charge more and have nicer quality materials, and while I haven't had problems with mine, better quality control.

Of course if you're Ford, you've got to hope the market is willing to pay more for more in this class. I don't know how much the average buyer on the street is willing to pay for a compact Ford, no matter how nice.
    but some hard stats would be nice. I'm sure some six sigma blackbelt at Ford has a filefolder full of good info that we will never see.
    somehow I bet you're right. How's the Pro doing? Treating you well?
    I'm in a truck right now...probably get a P5 in Nov/Dec
    P5 was my runner up. Good car.

By the way, and I say this with trepidation, you're the sane one of the bunch over in the Protege topics. Nice to find someone who likes the Pro/Pro5 and hasn't gone insane like some others. Just nice to be able to talk cars with someone.

back on topic. When does the GT Cruiser come out?

Oh, also, the Focus will be available in the 2003 model year with a PZEV (special low fuel emmissions model if I remember correctly) with the 2.3 duratec 4 cylinder. Now I know that it makes more power than the 2.0 (especially torque) but will probably be tuned a little "soft" for emissions purposes. However, I imagine that it would only be a chip and exhaust away from some surprising power. Might surprise some. I'm curious to hear more details about this version.
    but I'd love to see the current Protege chassis with that 2.3 in it.

I guess if we wait a year we'll be fighting on the same side, but for now lets keep the flames high. :-)
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    GT Cruiser Turbo is out. I bought one about 3 weeks ago. The engine puts the Cruiser in a whole new category. Maybe a milisecond of turbo lag (this car goes fast, RIGHT NOW!). Engine was reworked with stronger pistons, block and a hotter cam. It's also got a sophisticated oil and water injection system to keep boost up. temps down and aid in adding even more durability. Then there's the added warranty they added to all Chrysler products.

Suspension was beefed up and they put 17" wheel/tire combos. Steering is still a bit light for my tastes, but it doesn't detract from the entire package. Instead of the Cruiser being a very nice, uniquely styled car, wagon, mini-van, mini-SUV, whatever you want to call it. It's now a bonafied screamer. Tough combination to beat for the price.

The down side is that most dealers are asking over MSRP. It took me two hard days of negotiation to get mine under MSRP. MPG isn't great. I'm getting about 20-21MPG in mixed driving. It isn't broken in yet, though.

Very nice piece all-in-all.

Still like the P5 as the runner-up however because good deals that can be had (well under MSRP).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    By the way, and I say this with trepidation, you're the sane one of the bunch over in the Protege topics. Nice to find someone who likes the Pro/Pro5 and hasn't gone insane like some others. Just nice to be able to talk cars with someone.
    by seminole_kev
    ProX2, is this a critique from someone who called me a troll? Yes I probably should have tempered my statement, but I am appreciative of the fact that I can talk to a Protege fan who won't knock on my door on the weekend and ask me if I heard of the book of protege.
    You're still not keeping me from liking the Protege/Pro 5 by the way. I'll still like that car no matter how you act ;-)
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Hey, whats wrong with a good family car? Cripes, I love this car.

http://www.motortrend.com/mar02/matrix/matrix_f.html

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Here's a direct link to Edmunds' road test of the 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT. Thanks for your comments!

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards

I'm drawing closer to a decision in my search for a car that combines style, utility, and reliability, and I think that I have narrowed my choice down to 2 options: the Protege5 and the PT Cruiser. I am a 30 year old teacher who drives minimal miles (8k per year) and plans to buy this next vehicle with the hope of keeping it for 7-10 years. So, my question to the forum is why should I choose one over the other? Thanks in advance for your responses.

P.J.Heff
  • fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    Well,
    I only test drove the P5 and sat in the PT on the lot.
    I thought the P5 was noisy and rough and storage space small and the PT I thought was cramped inside.
    That and the poor front crash test rating put me off the PT.
    I owned a ZX3 for three years and was happy to unload it for a Hyundai GT hatchback. The GT has
    lots of room and is perky with leather and power everything and for your situation, a ten year warrenty!
    I paid list for an '03. Best deal I ever made.
    I urge you to test drive one at least.
    This is a nice car and a great value.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    but not as comfortable as my Elantra GLS. Drove a base PT cruiser and although the idea is great, I wasn't that crazy about the execution. The base car handled poorly and seemed a bit crude.

I agree that the GT is probably better than either of these--certainly for the money, but that fact will probably have little bearing on the great majority of potential buyers who would never, ever purchase a Korean car no matter what.

Of the two cars mentioned, I'd pick the P5 if I didn't need the space. I think it would be the more pleasant car to live with day in and day out.
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    fgaydos: see http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2002Vans.html

for the current PT crash test results.

The PT Cruiser is now a 4 star rating for the driver (it was 2 star for the 2001 model) and remains 4 star or 5 star for the other seating positions and roll over.

Where do you find the PT cramped inside? I'm bigger than average and there is plenty of room for four of me. Everyone that rides in it comments on how big it is inside.

I do agree the Hyundai GT is as you describe, a better dollar bargain and a nice car too.

• clayman1000clayman1000 Member Posts: 69
    Well, I found it cramped as compared to my ZX3 which is very easy to get in and out of due to it's large door and raised seat. I think it also felt lower seating compared to the Zx3.
    I actually like the style and love the colors.
    Thanks for the update on the crash ratings.
    Frank
  • jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    Just as an FYI....I just picked up a Suzuki Aerio SX, (wagon), and I'm finding it excellent. I'm a long-time Car & Driver subscriber, and I'm amazed that they rated it so poorly in their small-wagon comparison test. I didn't test drive the P5, (not enough cargo space), or the PT Cruiser, (too slow and I'm just not comfortable with the retro look). I did test the Matrix though, and I thought the Suzuki was far better - better engine, more space, I can actually read the gauges, better seat, don't need long arms and short legs. Plus the Aerio was several $thousand cheaper than the others, and has the best warranty.

It may not be to everyone's liking, but I'd urge you to take a look. 2002s are still available with $1-$2k off dealer invoice and $0 down 0% for 60 months. You should check it out. I wrote a complete review of my first week with the car over at the Suzuki Aerio forum.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    C&D disliked the looks and the dash, on both of which counts I concur. But Suzuki makes really great cars that last a long time, and as such are a bargain. The C&D test was as skewed as every other car mag comparo...

All thru that particular article they went on and on about rear seat room and comfort, then they rated the Mazda number 1 for being most fun to drive, even though they called the ride hard and harsh, and the rear seat uncomfortable. Basically, the only cars that will ever be highly rated by them are sports cars, which are only suited to about 5% of the buying public, if sales figures can be trusted to tell the story...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    The dash is a little wierd at first, but it's actually very easy to read. The speedo numbers are large, and the tach is a curved rising bar that is also easy to read. The main advantages are the ease of reading and the very small space it takes up. When you think about it, an analog dial with a sweeping needle shows all the speeds all the time, although only one of them is being pointed at by the needle. I honestly don't miss them.

If the P5 had a little more space, I would definitely have given it a long look. Are they doing a MazdaSpeed wagon? I picked up a large washing machine in the Suzuki on Sunday, in it's packing case. No problems sliding it right in. My wife and I were able to get it out easily, too.
    had the problem that they gave up working before the car did, and they were VERY expensive to fix or replace. It is pretty uncommon for analog speedometers to quit working entirely, even if they get a little inaccurate as they age.

As long as it keeps working, I have no issue with it. The "slash in the dash" that C&D referred to is what strikes me as odd looking. But I applaud the fact that it is different from everything else on the road - carmakers are way too conformist in their thinking.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• ashdadashdad Member Posts: 9
    I almost didn't buy my Aerio because of the digital dash and the looks. The deciding factor was my 11 year olds' comfort in the back seat. I didn't mind the looks too much, but I still don't think the bottom skirt does anything for it. On the other hand, I find the digital dash to be be the most convenient, functional and easiest to read of any car I have ever owned.
  • drive10drive10 Member Posts: 6
    http://www.pontiac.com/pontiacjsp/vibe/access/supercharger.jsp?source=vibema&pagename=vibeacsprv

You can now get a supercharger for the vibe and I assume toyota will be offering soon also. The low end low rpm torque will be welcome.

• gintoginto Member Posts: 12
    hardoo,
    First off, let me say that I'm a longtime P5 owner (since June 2001), so my remarks may be biased. I still love this car!

If you are really interested in keeping the car 7-10 years, I would say take the Mazda. The 323/Protege is a tried and true platform. I've owned several Chrysler products over the years, and although I started out with this same "keep forever" philosophy, I have, without fail, gotten rid of these cars "before their time". I doubt I'll own another in the near future. That said, I have heard that Chryslers have improved lately; and in Canada warranty coverage has improved to 7yr/100,000km (I don't know if this applies in the States).

I also concur with the Hyundai Elantra GT supporters; the value is hard to beat. At the time I was buying, it was really the only competition for a hatch (no Honda Si, Matrix/Vibe, or MB-C230 yet; too many issues with Focus/Golf at that time). I just valued "fun to drive" more than "great value for the money"; YMMV.
  • delaluzdelaluz Member Posts: 48
    I paid around $20K for a 2001 PT cruiser around 15 months ago. Wifes car

I paid around $13,000 total (tax, license, etc.) for an Elantra hatchback, auto, moon/sun roof., leather seats. Here's my 2 cents.

I like driving the elantra better...better visability, seat is more comfortable, smaller turning radius.

It's easier to set the elantra up for cargo than the PT.

The only things the PT has that the elantra doesn't have is a compass, ABS (i could have ordered this on a 2003), a cargo net in the trunk.

I lke the cd/audio system in the elantra much better.

I noticed in the PT that if I went on 2-3 hour trips my legs would get a cramp. I haven't gone on 2-3 hour trips in the elantra yet, but the seat feels nore confortable.

The elantra gets better mileage.

BTW, I looked at and drove the Suzuki Aerio before looking at the elantra. The Suzuki drove well and was a little noisier than the elantra. The interior of the elantra looks much nicer than the Aerio.

My 2 cents!
  • icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    Seriously. Especially Chisler. 95 Neon with nothing but grief.

ME - "The glue around my front and rear windows is melting and running down the sides of my car."

THEM - "Sir, that's just age. Your car is 7 years old, that happens."

ME - "I defy you to find any car other than a Chrysler with this problem! Chrysler used faulty glue and acknowledged it in their TSB."

THEM - "If you had brought it in before your warranty expired we wopuld have fixed it."

ME - "It wasn't a problem!"

THEM - "I'm sorry sir."

Honda, Toyota, Mazda the big three.

Ford, GM, Cry-sler the pig three.

I'll take mileage, relaibility, and quality over patriotism any day of the week.

PT and ZX3/ZX5...it's your money.
  • music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    I've been driving a 2000 Focus ZTS for about 3 yrs/55K. It's been great, averaging 33 mpg w/5 speed and, other than those pesky recalls, faultless. Now it's time to consider a new econo/commuter. The Jetta was tinny compared to the Focus, the Saturn is also "not enough car" for my taste. The PT Cruiser LE is just right. It's quieter, more substantial, roomier, better on rough roads and more useful like a mini-minivan. Mileage should be close to 30 mpg w/5 speed and there's a $2500 rebate, even with ordered cars. The warranty is better than VW's, too. My wife even likes it. (She suggested the car, btw.)
    The LE w/abs, traction and heated leather seats (a must) is about $20K including rebate, tax and delivery. My dealer is taking $200 over the total invoice.

I'm buying one right now!

Jay
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Wait until you can get the Turbo Engine! :)
    it comes out in a couple of months...in a month, you will think the base engine is slow.

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The turbo is already available in the PT. It has been since about November.
This discussion has been closed.