Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• tampajoshtampajosh Member Posts: 9
    I'm thinking about replacing the factory tail lights on my 06 CE with the clear Euro Altezza type tail lights. I'm just curious if anyone has done this and if so how difficult are they to replace?
  • tracynoelle23tracynoelle23 Member Posts: 1
    How do I know if my 2001 Toyota Corolla has a block heater already in it?

Thanks ahead of time for any help!! :)
    I finally got around to replacing the factory tail lights with aftermarket clear tail lights and I must say they give the car a much different look. I especially like the fact that the light housing is all chrome so it looks really good next to the chrome Corolla emblem. They installed very easily, just had to remove a few nuts and transfer the lightbulbs to the new light cases. I'll try to post a few pictures at a later date.
  • rollaboyrollaboy Member Posts: 11
    I'm thinking of getting my 04 Corolla S lowered. Tein or Eibach offer kits for about 150$. My question is - is it alright to lower the Corollas by about 1.75" - 2" keeping the Stock shocks? Does anyone know how this will affect tire life? :confuse: (can't believe PepBoys is asking for 500$ just for front installation and 300$ for rear) :sick:
  • rick0013rick0013 Member Posts: 1
    my mother just purchased a 2006 corolla ce. it has power door locks and a security system, but it did not come with a keyless remote fob. would a 2005 corolla fob work and if so does anyone have any prgramming instructions they could pass on.thanks in advance......
  • sagigsagig Member Posts: 1
    Hey Coat113,
    Does this procedure apply to a 2004 Corolla ? I would like to install a car kit. It is basically a box that will connect to the Toyota wiring harness and to the radio. These are the questions I have:
    1. As mentioned, does this apply to Corolla 2004 ?
    2. Where can I place the car kit box ? is there any room / mount behind the radio ?
    3. If I connect the original wiring harnesses to the car kit they will already be connected to the power and to the speakers and I would not need to worry about it. Correct ?

Thank you so much,
    Sagig
    Anyone? - I'm thinking of getting my 04 Corolla S lowered. Tein or Eibach offer kits for about 150$. My question is - is it alright to lower the Corollas by about 1.75" - 2" keeping the Stock shocks? Does anyone know how this will affect tire life? (can't believe PepBoys is asking for 500$ just for front installation and 300$ for rear)
  • jiazzijiazzi Member Posts: 3
    Hi Corolla owners,

I wasn't sure where I was supposed to post this but I've been wondering if the 2006 Corolla has a trunk release feature on the key chain (key fob?).

It sounds as if it doesn't but I can't tell since Toyota's website says that a "remote trunk release" feature is available...But does that mean it's on the keyfob as well?

Thanks!
  • elegant55elegant55 Member Posts: 2
    I have the audio system configuration with the CD auto changer in my 99' corolla. There's a cassete player but I have seen nowhere a CD can be inserted. There are buttons like "Tape" & "CD" on the panel. So can anyone explain to me how does it work?

thanks to any response.
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    Nope. It sounds dumb, but nope. No electric trunk release on the fob. Its mechanical and on the floor left of the driver's chair - right where its been for 30 years. So much for "cutting edge".
  • yomkiyomki Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I have a corolla LE 2005, I'm thinking of changing the air box with a cool air intake to gain a little power and improve gas mileage. Is there anybody did this? please advice, thanks :)
  • starsky3starsky3 Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchased a Toyota Corolla Deluxe Sport Coupe 2 door sedan. It has a little squishy black button that makes a weird noise on the dash when pushed. I thought it was the mister for the wipers, but it isn't. Anyone know? Also have a weird problem where it doesn't start. It just clicks? Starter? Is this common. It is a real cool body style. Anybody else have one. They were made from 75-78, mine is a 78
  • corollaaddictcorollaaddict Member Posts: 9
    I am also thinking about replacing the tail lights with aftermarket altezza lights, but I don't know if I will be able to complete this task without screwing up. Is the process complicated? Did the lights come with instructions teaching you how to replace them properly?
  • chaudierechaudiere Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 Corolla and would like to install an after market tachometer. Late year Corollas do not have a conventional coil, which normally has the tach sensor wire attached to the negative post. Can someone help me identify the tachometer signal source wire on the distributor-internal coil?
    One of my fog lamps is not working anymore. If I buy a replacement bulb (what kind should I be looking for, how much do they cost), how do I get to the back of the assembly to remove it? It all seems hidden behind the front lip without access from inside the engine compartment or from below. Any suggestions? :surprise:
    They are VERY simple to replace yourself...

See the link below for Do-It-Yourself instructions w/ pics...

How to install new tails
    Wow! That is AWSOME! Thanks a lot tampajosh! I wish they have pictures for the instructions on fog lights too. A pic is really worth kilo words = =;;

I am assuming that the lights for 03-05 will also fit 06?
    I am wondering if changing the air filter, adding cold air intake, and improving the exhaust system will significantly reduce Corolla's awsome fuel economy, and where can I find more information on these types of modifications and their costs?

THanks in advance
    Well, if I recall, I've read somewhere that there is a slight difference between the fog lights for the 03-04 models and the 05-06... If you're buying them off Ebay I would definately make sure you get a set that are listed for 05-06. I've done a lot of searching, looking for a DIY for the fog lights and I haven't found a good one yet... I'm hoping to install some fog lights on my car within the next month or two and when I do I'll make sure to take PLENTY of pics.
    OH Yeah... If you go back on this forum to post #225 you will find some instructions for installing the fog lights... There aren't any pictures but the directions sound pretty straight forward. The only thing is that they require that your vehicle has pre-existing wiring for the headlights and you also have to replace the head-light control switch on the steering column (and that piece is kind of pricey if I recall).
    lol PLEASE do take LOTTA pics when you install the fog lamps. I read post #225, but unfortunately I cannot understand most of the terms used in that post. Why? 'Cuz I wasn't such a car maniac (specifically Corolla) until recently when my parents bought Corolla CE for me so that I can drive to work (and I still need to pay them back soon T_T)...that's why "pics are worth thousand words" apply very well on me...
    Is it true that lowering the vehicle will improve the Cd and therefore its overall fuel economy? Are there disadvantages of lowered vehicles? (like you are screwed when there's a speed bump or uneven road condition or something like that?)
    I don't know if it will have any effect of fuel enconomy... I haven't heard anything about this but I'm also no expert by any means. I do know that lowering your vehicle can have some negative results, especially if you drive very agressively (i.e. street racing) or drive on roads that have a lot of pot holes, speed bumps etc. The main problem you will encounter is decreased shock/strut life. The factory shocks and struts are not designed to be used with lowering springs, therefore lowering the springs adds considerable stress to these parts. I've read about shocks/struts crapping out as soon as three months after installing the springs, however I've also heard about people driving 75K miles with no problems at all. It all really depends on the AMOUNT of drop (more drastic drop = more stress on the shocks/struts) and your driving style.
    Thanks tampajosh for ur inputs.

oh...is there any way to go around that? Is it possible to replace struts/shocks that are designed for a lower ride height? Does it cost a lot?

The main thing I liked about Corolla is its fuel economy. This may sound weird but I am trying to do modifications on my Corolla not to improve its performance but to improve its fuel economy :P So that's why I was wondering if lowering helps...

Another reason that I wanted to lower my Corolla is 'cuz I hate that big gap between the tire and the car body. I also considered changing to bigger rims and tires, but I learnt that bigger means more energy will be needed to turn them and thus cost more fuel. And the speedometer and odometer will be slightly off and needs calibration too. So I gave up on that. ANy other suggestions on getting rid of that big gap between the tire and the car body?

Also heard that spoilers or car wings will cause more drag, is it true?
    The only way to go around shortening the life of your shocks/struts is to purchase and install specialty shocks/struts and they are VERY expensive (~$1000). If you you can refrain from driving like a maniac and avoid hitting pot-holes it shouldn't create too much of a chance in the life of you shocks/struts.

As per the new wheels/tires... The actual size of the wheel won't affect the mileage, it's the weight... It's very possible to find 17 inch alloy wheels that are considerably lighter than the 15 steel wheels that come from the factory.

You really need to make an account on www.9thgencorolla.com

That will be the best resource for you. However, I recommend taking an hour or two to browse through the discussion forums before you start posting questions, b/c pretty much every question you have asked on here has been asked on that forum MULTIPLE times. Do a simple search and you will be overwhelmed with hits.
  • nini1122nini1122 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I am new here. I have 05 Corolla, I am thinking about installing 8000K HID headlights on my Corolla. Do I need to change the factory headlamps to special HID headlamps in order to use HID headlights? because HID headlights produce extreme amount of heat. I am not sure if factory headlamps can handle it . any suggestions? Thanks very much for your help!!!
    Thanks tampajosh for all the resources. I have read through couple threads in the forum in that website. It really does provide lots of information. I especially enjoyed the albums, where all the crazy mods came to reality.

Still don't know how to properly install fog lights, though. There was a DIY, but I still don't understand how the wiring goes. And dun even know what a harness is :confuse:
  • jpgavin1jpgavin1 Member Posts: 3
    I'm trying to put 195/75/14 tires on my stock 02 chevy prism.
    Anyone know if I will have trouble with clearance?
    I got the tires cheap.
    Stock is 175 or 185/65
  • leonelleonel Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the market for a new Corolla LE and was wondering what accessories people would recommend to purchase?

Any advice would be appreciated
  • leonelleonel Member Posts: 2
    Would anyone recommend purchasing the Vehicle Intrusion Program accessory or is there something better that would do the same thing?
  • ckone0814ckone0814 Member Posts: 71
    Hello. In the process of purchasing a 06 Corolla LE and was wondering if there's a Toyota option available to connect an Ipod or satellite unit? Thanks much.
  • drjmandrjman Member Posts: 1
    For HID you will have to get new bulbs and possibly new lamps. They are really expensive and would suggest doing other performance mods to your car first. Unless you really like HID lights. :D
  • peregrineperegrine Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

Can somebody point me to a website or something for instructions on how to attach the cargo net for the trunk of a Corolla '06?

Thanks.
  • xltransxltrans Member Posts: 1
    i have a 22r engine. does anyone know if it will fit in a 87 corolla?
  • rjw1rjw1 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if you can put a different radio in a 2006 Corolla? I would assume yes, but whenever I use those "see if it fits" tools on like bestbuy.com or circuit city where it tells you what radios will fit, none come up for the Corolla.
  • flashbulbflashbulb Member Posts: 2
    I just installed a cargo net in my 2006 Corolla and it’s real easy to do. Remove the “pop out plugs “ on each side of the trunk lid frame they are 10 inches up from the bottom. Don’t remove lower plugs. After you remove the plugs slide the bracket nut under the liner and screw in the hooks on top of the liner, presto takes 10 minutes to do the job. Instructions should have come with net.
  • peregrineperegrine Member Posts: 7
    Thanks. Sounds simple enough. I was wondering where I was suppose to attach those screws.

It's a hand me down net from a friends 2005 corolla so it didn't come with instructions.
  • jade321jade321 Member Posts: 2
    can anyone help me how to wire the switch for my fog lights.... i just got my fog lights from a friends and it has no instructions on it.. i dont have the replace for the turn signal so i decided to use a switch but the problem is i dont know how to wire it.. thanks....
  • flashbulbflashbulb Member Posts: 2
    I need some information on where to obtain OEM Fog Lights for my 2006 Corolla LE. I understand the wiring harness is in place however the LE model did not offer fog lights as a option. My local Toyota dealer said they are not listed in his catalog.
    A seller on eBay Vertex Racing sells what they claim are OEM for lights for the 2006 model, they come with a switch & wiring harness however the switch is not the type that mounts or replaces the headlight/turn signal lever with fog light switch standard on the S model Corolla. The local dealer also told me that aftermarket lights would void my warrantee. Can anyone advise how to obtain genuine OEM lights and switch. The price was right on eBay $80.00 plus shipping however their purchase might be opening a can of worms.
  • sirikitsirikit Member Posts: 2
    I just got a '05 Corolla CE about a month ago (I love it). The color of my car is Silver Streak Mica but side molding on my car is black, I want to get the molding color matched to be the same color as my car. Does anyone know how much that would cost?

I also want to get an exhaust and a body kit for my car... does anyone know any good sites to buy parts like this?
    I need some help picking out a good body kit and exhaust... im a girl and i dont know a whole lot about cars, i would really appreciate it if someone would help me out. :)
    The first thing you need to do is REMOVE the side moldings, mmmkay? It looks sooo much better without them. Here is a picture of my car without them:
    http://premium1.uploadit.org/joshodonn/CAR/100_2042.JPG

Here is a link with instructions on how to remove them, it's super easy:
    http://9thgencorolla.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14858

While you're reading that link, go ahead and make yourself an account on that site.... It's the best resource online for you as a Corolla owner. Pretty much ANY question that you might have has been discussed at length multiple times, all you have to do is search the forums for your answer. If it hasn't been discussed, all you have to do is ask and it will be answered pronto.

I hope this helps, and enjoy your Corolla!
  • misterfmisterf Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if you got it out in 1 piece and would you consider selling it. Let me know.
  • sirikitsirikit Member Posts: 2
    wow... that looks great.. i might try it.. thanks for the tip.
    So i decided not to go with a Body kit.
  • bscott3bscott3 Member Posts: 9
    I was wondering if anyone knows how to take the radio out of a 2006 Corolla S.
  • misterfmisterf Member Posts: 2
    If it is the same as my '04, here it is. Start with the covering around the shift lever. It should pop right up with a little persuasion at the bottom. Next, remove the center knob for the A/C fan control. There should be a screw behind this knob. Next, gently pull the entire assembly, from the front of the shift lever all the way to the bottom of the radio. It should come out in one piece. You will see there are 4 screws below the radio. All the screws need to come out. Once they are out, pull on the radio assembly and the entire radio and vents should come out together.
  • beaker2beaker2 Member Posts: 1
    My daughter just bought an CE and we didn't realize it had no keyless entry--do you have info on where and what kind of aftermarkets are available for the 2006 corolla ce?
    Thank
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    Hi All,
    My folks just bought a 2006 Corolla LE and wanted to protect it with some seat covers that will work with the side air bags they have.
    Anybody out there have any recommendations for them?
    Thanks
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I saw somewhere seat covers that specifically said they were compatible with side air bags, but I don't remember where.
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    Thanks mcdawgg and kenym for the info.