Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Keyless Entry & Alarm Problems

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
edited March 2014 in Chrysler
Remote won't work? Need to adjust the alarm? Put your questions here and we'll try to get you an answer.

kirstie_h
Roving Host
Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• Options
    jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    If you change the battery in a GM keyless entry system you have to re-sync the remote with the car.

To do this sit in the car/truck with the ignition OFF, and all doors closed. Hold the lock/unlock buttons down for 20 seconds or until you hear the doors lock and unlock.

Now your remote should work with no problems.

Sometimes this is also required if you haven't used a particular remote for a while, manual says more than 30 day with out contact with the vehicle the remote has to be re-synced.
  • Options
    norm908norm908 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me with programming a remote entry for a 1994 Chrysler Concorde? It is not in the owner's manual and I've been searching the net with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • Options
    tuttietuttie Member Posts: 4
    i need to reset my remote keyless entry for a 1996 jeep grand cherokee limited edition. please help.
  • Options
    glennalglennal Member Posts: 2
    Do you have an owners manual. If so it's in there.(at least in my 95) if not, let me know and I will email or fax you instructions. Not very complicated. You just have to be precise, especially when doing more than one. email me at WeBuyHouses@Bellsouth.net

Glenn
  • Options
    rex111899rex111899 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Chevrolet pickup that has factory installed keyless entry. It works some time, maybe for a day or two then for no reason it stops working. Then the next time I try it it may work. I changed the batteries this did not help any thing. Can any one help with this problem?
  • Options
    If you go through the owners manual you can find the instructions on how to re-sync the remotes, I had the same problem until I re-synced the remotes. If memory serves you sit in the truck with the doors closed and hold down the lock and unlock buttons until the doors lock and unlock. Then you should be good to go. My first post goes into further detail on how it works. If it still doesn't work correctly you may have a bas keyless entry module, or remote. The dealer has a remote testing unit and they can check it out if you suspect the remotes.
  • Options
    rex111899rex111899 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks jgmilberg for the info. They tell you how to program the remote after changing the battery, on the inside of the remote. What is so funny is after reading your massage I walked out side to the carport pressed the remote the lights flashed and I could hear the locks workings I did this for ten times,worked every time.This is what happens tommorrow when I park at work most likely I will have to open the door and press the lock button. I was hoping someone new the answer without me having to lose a days work taking it to the dealer.
  • Options
    Well if you re program the remotes to the car and you end up with the same problem the only answer is the dealer. Sometimes you can have a bad receiver or transmitter, and only the dealer can tell you what it is. Most of the dealers now have a shuttle van to get you to work and if the car is done that day they can pick you up after work to get your car, if it's not done, or you get out of work after they close you have to make arrangements to get home though.

Most people don't look that closely at the remote case when changing the battery, and then have to go to the dealer just for that simple fix!
This discussion has been closed.