Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

wilferonwilferon Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Chrysler
I am struggling to make a decision between the
Odyssey LX and the Chrysler GCS. Given the Odyssey
has a more advanced and more powerful engine, the
GCS is a few thousand dollars less expensive. My
major concern here is their competency in towing a
pop-up tent trailer. I suppose having 30 hp less
than the Odyssey (at 210) doesn't necessary mean
that the GCS is not quite as capable in towing.
Besides, the 2001 GCS is supposed to be innovative
and very quiet. Having read that the Odyssey is
lacking in low rpm grunt, I do wonder where the GCS
stands in comparison. I have tried fruitlessly to
search the hp/torque performance curves of these
engines. Would anyone be able to shed some light on
this issue or direct me to relevant web sites, I
should be most grateful.

Comments

• axle59axle59 Member Posts: 28
    Actually dodge makes the GCS and chrysler makes the town and country. Regardless though they are basically the same van with diffent name plates on them. That said the honda does makes more horsepower only if you elect to have the 3.3L engine in the chrysler van. Otherwise the 3.8L witch I have in my van make 215hp or if you wait a couple of months the Town and County limited will come with a 3.5L out of the 300M that makes 230hp. Whats more is that in order to get the 210hp from the honda you must use premium fuel whereas the chrysler vans only require regular 87 octane. I'm not sure of the torque on the honda but the chrysler 3.8 has 240lbft of torque and the 3.5 will have 245lbft.
  • mike734mike734 Member Posts: 128
    The high end line of the Dodge product may ultimately have more power and if towing is your concern, there is no substitute for power. However, the Dodge product will be a "new" model and may suffer the ills of a new model. The power rear door comes to mind. Alternatively, the Honda is in its' third year. I believe most bugs are worked out. Of course, the bottom line is how you feel on the test drive. I suggest going on a test drive without the salesman, if possible. If not, make him sit in the back and be quiet. Take your time and don't second guess yourself once you have made a decision. My advice is to get the Honda EX-Navi. I love mine.
  • mojo66mojo66 Member Posts: 83
    This was a pretty easy decision for us, but we waited until the '01 DC vans came out just to be sure. The only area the Odyssey may fall short in comparing these vans is in interior features. The Odyssey interior looks plain and doesn't offer leather, and the stereo system is terrible, but these things can be added. In any case, Honda's strong suit continues to be engineering, and in that respect the two vans couldn't be further apart. It's the main reason the Odyssey is so popular with buyers, while Chrysler is already offering huge rebates and cutting production in Toronto. The Odyssey is just a well thought-out vehicle that will last far longer on the road than the Chrysler and will almost certainly experience fewer problems. Do yourself a favor and get on the waiting list for an Odyssey. It's worth the wait.
  • rbacsafrarbacsafra Member Posts: 85
    "The Odyssey is just a well thought-out
    vehicle that will last far longer on the road than
    the Chrysler and will almost certainly experience
    fewer problems."

Last longer on the road than chrysler and fewer problems? Why is it that the Odyssey Problems Topic grows and grows and grows and people with the 2001s are still experiencing some of the problems the 1999s have. The Gen2 Odyssey hasn't been out long enough to prove it having fewer problems. I dunno about lasting longer...we'll just have to wait and see about that. Minivan shopper...do yourself a favor, buy what you like and what you are comfortable with...all minivans have problems but the Honda isn't perfect.
    To answer your question: The owners of the Odyssey have very high expectations. I believe the problems so far have been minor.
    Transmission clunk/replacements, engine whine, fuel gauge inaccuracy, fuel tank thud, pull to the left or right, falling roof rack pieces, speedometer, dash lights, phantom sliding doors are minor? I have high expectations for a vehicle myself and I don't consider things like that to be minor. In fact things like very early transmission replacements are major things to worry about.
    and to top it off...these problems were evident in the 1999, 2000 and even the brand new 2001 models? And just recently American Honda Motor Company has requested ALLDATA to deny access to Acura and Honda repair information. So that means you will not have access to Acura or Honda vehicle repair information, technical service bulletins or recalls. Sad isn't it?
    You have a point. I have been lucky and have not experienced any of the above problems yet. I'm just glad I did not buy a Toyota Sienna.

I would say a transmission change and phantom doors are the two most serious problems. I hope Honda will stand by their product on a case by case basis. I guess my point was that I expect the Odyssey to be less troublesome than the competition. I guess we will see....
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I traded in a 95 Dodge Grand Caravan on a 99 Odyssey because of a transmission problem. While Daimler -Chrysler has been putting in a marginal at best transmission in its vans for many years- do a web search on bad transmissions to verify. DC has a hidden recall, Honda replaces bad transmissions when they are found.
    As for the number of Honda problem forums is now up to VII, the Honda discussion forum is up to XXX. If you look at that ratio the number of the problem forums looks smaller.
  • masshoosiermasshoosier Member Posts: 70
    You can scan ANY problem forum for just about any vehicle and come up with a list as long as yours. I mean come on, the end pieces falling of the roof racks? I saw those posts and they are very recent ones(and very few). I've been following the problem thread for well over a year now and no one up until now complained about that. There was somebody just recently had the dial of the rear heater unit break off, you must have missed that one.

Point being, Do a little more research on what your calling major problems, just don't scan the headers and compile a list. The gas tank thud just happens with this van, its a design give and take with the well created by the third seat and only happens when its filled up full. The speedometer shows around 4 mph higher than the speed but well within gov. standards. Engine whine? Where did you see that one? Perhaps its the ones where the owners are not recognizing the ABS cycling sound at start-up. I'll admit Fuel guage inaccuracy and dash lights have been reported but not heavily. The owners manual states that the gas light pops on at 1/4 which is earlier than most vehicles I think, but mine hits that right on and with consistancy.
    Enough defending, the argument will never end until there's only one brand to choose from. God help us if that day ever comes.
  • bozobearbozobear Member Posts: 4
    With long pointy snout, power sliding doors, and overall general appearance, it was just a matter of time for the Odyssey EX Limited RR
    version. Exclusive options are bright center mounted front headlight,
    loud airhorn, PA system that announces "All Aboard".
    Since no railroad service would be complete without cargo, just flip the magic seat and you can haul coal, ore, or whatever.
    Now when Honda can solve the problem with erratic power sliding doors, break down of transmissions, etc...your liability insurance will drop as you offer new rail service...without the problem of fixed
    metal rails.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We had one of those Buick vistacruiser type wagons when I was a kid. I couldn't ride in the magic seat for long since it faced the rear. Riding backwards in trains doesn't seem to bother me.

I actually liked the lack of options offered by the Odyssey when I was shopping back in late '98. Basically you picked the LX or EX.

At the Dodge dealer, there were seemingly dozens of option packages, and the ones you thought you'd be interested in were never installed with the "right" engine or whatever on the 100 vans on the lot. I didn't have "swift" salespeople at either dealer though. The Dodge guy just started work that am and was clueless about his inventory.

Steve, Host
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    If we can trust the members of the Town Hall who post in all forums. Sienna had a torque converter problem for one brief period. Chrysler had problems in the past. Odyssey transmission problems are in the present. My 99 GC SE has 22,444 miles with zero problems.
    The percentage of Sienna, Chrysler, Odyssey, etc. with any type of transmission problems is very low... BUT: if a person gets one of the very few, percentages do not matter. I have asked every one of the many owners of DC mini vans (that I know)to tell me of the problems with their DC mini van. Not one transmission problem.
    The only problem I have been told is that my sister felt her 1986 Caravan with the little 4 cylinder engine was under powered. Zero problems in 170,000 miles and it is still being driven by the 3rd owner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For the past 2 days, I have attended the big Auto Show and looked at a sample of almost every vehicle sold in the USA plus some new concept cars like the Chevrolet Avalanche, Chevy Nomad, Buick Cielo, Chrysler Chronos, 2002 Trailblazer, 2002 Envoy, 2002 Bravada.
    I looked more closely at the 2001 Odyssey EX, Grand Caravan Sport, Caravan Sport, Caravan SE, Voyager LX, Voyager Base, T&C LXi, and Sienna XLE and tried to make a very close comparison.
    Unfortunately, the batteries were disconnected which made it difficult to properly evaluate the driver's seating position for visibility and exact comfort level at the place I would position seat.
    The Odyssey offers most of the nice features I would have on a minivan at the best MSRP.
    Sienna appeared to be slightly more upscale in appearance and was considerably more expensive. Leather, power moonroof, etc. are not items on my desired feature list.
    Dodge and Chrysler had models from the under $20,000 Voyager with 4 cyl to a luxurious Grand Caravan Sport AWD and Town & Country LXi. True, the base Voyager lacks many features but would be a very good choice for someone who needs a minivan to seat 7, have 2 built in child seats, and have an MSRP of only $20,005. Add $375 for Cruise and tilt steering.
    The Odyssey appeared to have the most leg room. Very comfortable front and middle row. But, the magic seat hinges poke me in the back if I sit at either end of 3rd seat. All the Sienna seats were very comfortable...even the middle of 2 piece 3rd seat...but leg room was lacking in 2nd and 3rd rows. Chrysler and Dodge 50/50 3rd row seat was NOT comfortable in the middle due to hinges poking me in the back. They are not as comfortable in the driver's seat for me with place to rest left foot as were Odyssey and Sienna
    but other seats were equally comfortable to Ody and Sienna except Sienna 3rd row seat is more comfortable than Ody or DC minivans.
    The Dual or Triple Zone heating/AC of DC minivans is superior to the Ody and Sienna. Ody has heating in only front and very rear right. Sienna has front plus ducts under front seats. DC has heating in front, rear of front doors plus the rear right. All 3 had A/C in front and ceiling...but here again, DC A/C also comes out the rear of each front door and ONLY DC permits the driver and front passenger to have individually adjusted temperature of heat, vent, or A/C.
    I can see no reason to trade our 1999 GC SE in on any of the new minivans except to get a more powerful engine than my 3.3L with 158 HP and 203 lb-ft of torque.
    I felt that the 2002 Trailblazer showed the most improvement over its predecessor than any vehicle...but, the 2001 Blazer NEEDED more improvements than other vehicles. I liked the new RAV-4 and Sequoia but the Highlander was a disappointment. Insight is not practical like
    a 5 passenger Prius.
    as we drove to the funeral of my wife's uncle and it was 1 degree below zero (Fahrenheit) enroute. It was 18 degrees below zero Centigrade.
    With the powerful heater in front and the nice powerful rear heater with a separate fan, the van warmed up quickly when we left home where the temperature was a milder +10 F. The Odyssey with a separate front a rear heater unit would have heated the van just as nicely.
    The temperature rose from 9 F at the funeral site during the viewing and funeral to a more comfortable 15 F. It had warmed up to 30 F at home just 110 miles south of the town where the funeral was held. Living in a place where temperature can vary from well below zero F. in the winter to above 100 F. in the summer, the excellent heating and air conditioning of Grand Caravan, T&C, and Odyssey are greatly appreciated.
  • netgazernetgazer Member Posts: 1
    Dodge just announced a GC EX and is priced lower than the Odyssey EX. You might want to compare the standard feature offerings to the Odyssey. You can configure the new EX at www.4adodge.com. T&C also has an EX (www.chrysler.com). Good luck in your pruchase decision.
    We love our 99 GC SE and just had the tires rotated at 23,620 miles. Rear tires had no measurable wear and front tires had about 70% of tread remaining. Van has had ZERO problems. GREAT
    purchase and am glad we got the GC SE.
    Has many options I do not want such as Power liftgate and power sliding passenger-side door, 50/50 rear seats, removeable center console with power outlet.
    Now, why did it not include the Trip Computer? (that I have on my 99 GC SE). Why not offer the Trip Computer and 3.8L on the GC Sport?
    DC has made an attractive package with GC EX and T&C EX but have things I do not want while not having a nice item like the Trip Computer.
    On the other hand, the Odyssey LX has most of the things I like at a lower price (Although not the Trip computer...and also not the Triple Zone of DC minivans).
  • tmicrptmicrp Member Posts: 1
    I have no doubt that the Honda is a fine machine, but I absolutely love my 99 Grand Caravan Sport. We bought it in May 99. It now has 26,0000 miles. I've followed the book for routine maintenance. It has run perfectly in every respect. It's handling, acceleration, braking etc., have met my every expectation.
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    carleton1, I just went to the Dodge website and for just under $27,000 you do in fact get a trip computer plus all the other power amenities on the EX. So it does in fact come with a trip computer and temp readout for under $27,000. Also, I understand you're entitled to your opinion and all, but if the price was right, why wouldn't you go for a power seat, doors, and the removable console? If you don't like the console you can take it out, and it's another great place to put stuff. Although, I guess I'm a little biased since I've had a power seat on all my vans starting with my 1988 Grand Voyager and now power doors, back gate, memory mirrors/seats, etc., on my 2001 T&C LTD. Does this mean you have manual locks and windows, too on your 99 SE? Just wondering.
    My 99 GC SE has overhead console with Trip Computer and Compass/Outside Temperature. The sheet I printed on 2001 GC EX from Dodge web site states the EX has only an Overhead console plus compass and temperature...The Trip computer is NOT listed...My Dodge 2001 brochure shows ONLY the EX has Trip Computer and GC Sport has compass and temperature. The EX does have the more desirable 3.8 L V6.
    MY 99 GC SE has speed actuated power door locks, power windows, Infinity 10 speaker 200 Watt stereo with cassette and CD player, Cast Aluminum wheels, lighting group, etc. The only option I can think of that I do not have that 99's SE's could have was the security and remote key fob. The 2000 GC SE did NOT have a Trip Computer as an option while my 99 Trip Computer/compass/outside temperature came with the Dual Zone/ Rear Heating Rear A/C option. I would have preferred the Sport option over the regular SE but the dealer did not have a GC Sport when I bought. My 99 GC SE had MSRP of $27,490 and after discount my price was $22,590. The 2001 EX is NOT eligible for incentives.
    Our 99 GC SE with the 3.3L has also met or exceeded my expectations once I got used to some features that did not measure up to my 91 Astro CL with the 4.3L V6.
    I preferred the larger 4.3L with MUCH more torque, the more comfortable seats, the 27 gal fuel tank, the rear panel doors and the higher seating position of the Astro.
    Twenty-three months later, I like the GC better as the heating and air conditioning of GC is far superior to the Astro. The front passenger seat is much more comfortable in the GC. The GC has had zero problems whereas the Astro had that damnable digital dash instrumentation which started working intermittently (coolant temperature and oil pressure)a year or so after purchase. The trim on sliding door came loose and would not permit the door to be opened from the outside. (I think the door had been dented before I purchased the Astro as the "alleged" first owner and in the repair, the Chevy dealership was too damn cheap to also replace the cheap plastic items that held the trim to the door).
    The less powerful 3.3L in GC gets about 3 MPG better gas mileage on highway trips than did the Astro and about 1 MPG better mileage overall than did the Astro. Result: I prefer an engine larger than the 3.3L and wish we had bought a 99 GC Sport with 3.8L and the nicer quality seats than our SE.
    I think DC could design a more comfortable place for driver to rest left foot while driving than is the situation with the 96 and later DC minivans. Our daughter's 1988 Voyager had a better place to rest the driver's left foot and also had more comfortable front seats than does our 1999 GC SE.
  • sapp4lsapp4l Member Posts: 1
    Thanks a lot Dodge for the EX. Only you don't allow the trailer tow option that would make owning the 3.8L worth it. Since this is clearly an aim at the Odyssey (who has a better MSRP, and the dealers are getting it!), a strong 3.5L (similar specs to the Dodge 3.8) it falls a bit short! Add to this the lack of any incentives that you have on the other models, and it's a loser in my book. The marketing / pricing genius who thought this 'package' up must not have many DC stock options -- DC is sinking fast.

It's back to looking at the ES... with the options needed to tow 3000lbs, you're pushing 30K while Honda is still around 26K. Hmm, let me think on this...

My last three vehicles were Chrysler products, but the pricing of the 3.8L with trailer tow options has made me consider my first Japanese nameplate (though it's built in the same northern climes as the Caravan!). I sat with my local Dodge dealer last fall, and he couldn't offer any thing except consolation, as the hoards went down the block to the Honda dealer (to wait in line to pony up MSRP).

Get with it folks!
  • erucehteruceht Member Posts: 26
    The ES is by far the better buy. It rides better,looks better, is quietist of the two and has more features. With the tow package is has a Edmund's TMV of 28,167. With the $1,500. rebate it comes to $26,667. Throw in the 0.9 or 1.9% financing and one would be dumb to buy the Honda.
  • hotspurhotspur Member Posts: 34
    "The Honda rides better..."

And Automobile Magazine says, in naming the Ody an All-Star and best minivan (February 2001): "The Odyssey distinguishes itself, simply enough, by being more comfortable, more reliable, and more fuss-free than the rest."

And then there's resale. A five-year-old, little, four-cylinder, prior-generation Ody is now worth more in trade than a five-year-old Town & Country.

Both are fine vehicles. You pays your money and takes your choice.
  • enternamehereenternamehere Member Posts: 42
    If the Ody rides anything like my 2000 Accord EX (same base frame) then Motor Trend is way off. The uncomfortable ride is very noticeable on a 2-3+ hour trip. I also drive a '99 DC LE AWD that has a very nice ride (drove it 12 hours straight last summer) that the Honda ride cannot compare to.
  • hotspurhotspur Member Posts: 34
    My neighbor the Chrysler dealer had a 1999 T&C and the ride was, quite simply,not very good--uncontrolled, lumpy, etc., IMHO. Attempting to compare the Ody with an Accord--at 1,000 pounds less, shorter wheelbase, etc.--is uninformed at best, misleading at worst.

The 2001 DC minivans supposedly ride better, but according to Motor Trend--and others--are still not up to Ody standards.

Both are fine minivans, but it certainly cannot be "dumb" to buy the first choice of Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Automobile, Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc., etc.
  • mrperfectmrperfect Member Posts: 16
    Motor Week, a weekly TV show over 20 years old, stated today that the Diamler/Chrysler minivans are the vans to buy for 2001. Winners of the SUV category were the new Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute twins. Honda motor company only made the winners list with the luxury priced SUV Accura MDX. Diamler/Chrysler also won the mid-size sedan. Best of show was the little combo car/van from Diamler/Chrysler. Best of small sedans is the Nissan Sentra. Best luxury sedan is the Lincoln LS. BMW M-5 led the HOT sports sedan class. All in all a good show. :-)
    hotspur,
    I guess you could say the ride is "very subjective" if you just happen to own a Honda Ody and you think it is a great vehicle. My comparison is also subjective. Honda makes a so-so car that isn't a great anything car. I consider it a beefed-up version of basic transportation. I don't need to compare weight etc of the Accord to the Ody, nor do I need a magazine article to tell me what is better. I happen to know that the way my 2000 Accord EX rides is "cheap" just like the Ody that I test drove. Also, now at 18,000 miles my automatic transmission is slipping, so I now have to question Honda's reliability factor. I would be trading it right now if wasn't for the fact that it is just a year old. Unfortunately, due to resale conditions, I will be driving this Honda for another 2 years.
  • erucehteruceht Member Posts: 26
    Motor Trend was one of the few if only magazines that said the Odyssey rides better than the Chrysler mini vans including Consumer Reports. Most of the people who has actually driven both vans and have posted their opinions in town hall have preferred the ride of the Chrysler vans. Those of you who use AOL should check out Members Choice under Autos where owners rate their cars. The 2001 Chrysler vans get an overall satisfaction rating of 80% where the Odyssey EX gets a rating of only a 56%.
    And would still select the 99 GC SE if the choice were made today after reading in the Town Hall, CR, MT, C&D, etc. I enjoy all the nice comfort and convenience items of the GC SE but if I were to buy a 2001 minivan, it would be the Odyssey LX as it has all the items we feel are an absolute necessity: Front and Rear A/C and Heater, deep tinted sunscreen glass, seating for 7. Just as the Trip Computer, quality stereo with cassette and CD are nice but not essential, so is the Magic Seat.
    The Odyssey is available at an honest MSRP with no rebate, incentive, etc. games to play and wonder if a better deal could be had if one waited a week or 2.
  • cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    For those that dont use AOL, you can also try:

http://www.carreview.com/reviews/vans_minivans/

(Honda top rated by consumers and the "CHOICE award winner")

http://www.epinions.com/auto_Make-Vans_Minivans

(2000 Odyssey rated #1 by consumers, not enough data yet for 2001 models)

I think the point is every consumer is different. Ride is subjective. Some like a ride that absorbs everything, but leaving the vehicle wallowy in turns with no road feel. Others like the ride to be very tight to improve road feel and handling at the expense of feeling every little pothole. An extended test drive should help you decide which you like better, unless you know your preferences match those of a particular reviewer or magazine.

While I look forward to *trading* in the Honda,
    which I drive daily :( we have decided that our Caravan is a "keeper" and plan to extend our warranty another 5 years for our '99 DC LE AWD 3.8L which has every conceivable option except leather seats. You cannot compare your ody to this vehicle. :)

You are wrong about the Honda trade-in my friend, it has dropped value by over $3,000 in just 18 mos of ownership. Hopefully the resale value won't drop so much over the next year and I will trade it in for a new Lexus.

Get a grip and face it, you settled for less with your ody just read what other posters are saying...
  • scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    Re: #34 Caviller,

If interested, here are some more useless consumer opinions that actually compare the current year 2001 model minivans.

2001 Dodge Caravan

vs.

2001 Honda Odyssey

vs.

2001 Town and Country

. target=_blank

• cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    I agree that anecdotal consumer opinions are not too useful. I provided them in response to a previous post you apparently missed, since you didn't comment on it. You must not think they're too useless, as you continued to provide some yourself. I did state why I didn't include the 2001 numbers, and therefore provided links to the general minivan sections of those opinion sites. Please reread my posts if necessary. It is not the first time you've completely missed the intent of my posts ;-) In this case, the point was that consumers should take extended test drives to evaluate subjective issues, and not solely depend on the opinions of other owners or magazine reviews. The variance of these reviews seems to be reflected in the differences of opinions among magazines, and the consumer opinion sites mentioned.
    There is nothing in your response that is worth repling to. :)

You, my friend, are suffering from Hondaitus. Don't worry though, over a period of time you will realize that Honda's are not perfect. I did. My wife refuses to even ride in the Accord, never mind drive it. Talk about edgy
    For the very best buy at MSRP, the Odyssey LX is THE choice. For a 7 passenger minivan with necessary comfort items, a plain Caravan is the best choice at a far lower MSRP...but with no rear air conditioning and rear heater.
    For the main options my wife and I prefer, the Odyssey LX is an excellent buy with front and rear air conditioning and front and rear heater, dark sunscreen windows, powerful standard engine, and very useful, flexible seating arrangements.
    We love our 99 GC SE with many additional features not offered on the Odyssey LX. However, if we had never had these features we would be just as happy with a 99 Odyssey LX...with the 2nd and 3rd row seating possibilities of Odyssey plus easily accessed additional cargo space by folding the Magic Seat into the floor.
    Does your GC have a full sized spare tire? The Ody cannot accodomodate the full spare or AWD due to the location of the "magic seat".
  • h20guyh20guy Member Posts: 64
    Hi Carl how have you been? I was just wondering if your GC has a full sized spare tire? Because if it doe's you won't be able to have a fold down magic seat like my ody. But I know you made your choices out of your needs just as I made mine out of my needs. Since I did not need a full sized spare (choice) and did not need AWD (choice) and did need fold down magic seat I purchased the ody out of my needs. Conclusion: Choices are a good thing. ;)
    Has Honda started offering load levelers for the Ody. Seems that would correct the rear-end squatting when under load. This is great feature offered by DC.
  • ody4everody4ever Member Posts: 1
    This should end this discussion once and for all. D.C. has inferior products that are highly discounted and have extremely poor resale values.
    Good luck and wise buying to all!
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    ody4ever? Helloooo??? This is just a car/minivan!! Do you have a personalized "ody4ever" license plate for your minivan too? I am sure Honda will send you a thank you letter if you do. Since when a discounted product equal to bad product? Anyway, I don't think the points you stated in your message can end this discussion, in fact, I don't think anybody can make a statement to end this topic. This is a matter of needs and taste. If you like your Odyssey that much, fine, keep it forever or buy a new one every 3 or 4 years. We don't drive or ride with you so we really don't car what you want to buy or drive.
  • gcintendergcintender Member Posts: 36
    Just a LITTLE bit prejudiced now, aren't we?

Why should a minivan buyer look to an SUV topic for advice?

And as for resale: anyone should buy a car for hinself, not for what a stranger will pay him many years down the road. Do that, and the DC owner knows he made the right decision!
    "read jeep grand cherokee messages "

Typical remark to expect from an ody owner. I suspect that you're also one of those ody owners that compare their ody to the Acura MDX too! ha!ha! Keep Dreamin'
  • midwesternermidwesterner Member Posts: 4
    I came to this section of the site to hopefully gain some good viewpoints about various mini vans. What I seemed to have found was kids in high school arguing over what car they think is best. So maybe this message will give some future reader some help.
    We've been looking at mini vans, and this is what we have found....
    Honda oddessy(LX): good van at a good price. Didn't necessarily care for the softness in corners. Cool stowaway third seat. Good practical vehicle. Honda's are known for longevity so that's a plus, sort of limited color options. No from the factory leather when we test drove one.

Toyota Sienna (XLE): Not too shabby, nice fit an finish on the interior and some cool color options for paint (A black mini van... all you need is aftermarket wheels and Mr. T and you can do an A-Team remake). Also had option for moon roof from the factory, that's cool. Had some noticeable Torque-Steer under hard acceleration/shifting, but was a quick accel.

Ford Windstar: Not real impressed. Interior looked cheap, and somewhat poor finish. Some items looked like afterthoughts. However, also had cool color options for exterior. The salesman seemed like he came right off of a used car lot, so we didn't even take it out for a test drive (he hit the side of the doors with his fist to show us how dent resistant it was... whatever.). But we pretty much nixed it based on the interior (we own a 95 Taurus currently)

Dodge Grand Caravan ES/Chrysler Town and Country: Tons of creature comforts, and a well thought out interior. Definitley go with the 3.8, the performance difference is worth the $300. Pretty decent exterior color options.

Didn't look at Chevy/GMs, the she part didn't have any interest in them.

Things that we were looking for :
    Her: Creature Comforts, comfortable driving environment (instrument layout, seat comfort, safety) ability to seperate bickering siblings- and they all do, easy to keep clean, easy entry and exit with three kids in tow (one in infant seat).
    Him: Able to get out of it's own way (read: go power), fairly stiff suspension so no rolling in the turns. Clean looking fit and finish inside and out.
    Both: LEATHER, because it's easier to clean (by the time you get the kids in the house and get back out to clean an oops, it will wipe off leather esaier than coming out of cloth). Something that we can both be comfortable in and feel relatively safe in. Good finance rates.

Our Automotive background: Own: 95 Tarus SE, 92 Toyota 4x4 xtra cab, 71 Plymouth Duster (V8), 67 Dodge Polara (V8), 83 Toyota Pickup, considering a 1970 Opel Manta.
    Have also owned 87 Nissan Maxima.

We have settled on the Dodge GC ES or Town and Country Limited or LXi. Here's why...
    Finance rates .9% is like free money
    Interior: Only van that you could easily get to the third seat while carrying a car seat with a child in it (fold the back of the second row bucket and then tilt the seat forward). Creature comforts: Lets face it, if your going to buy a vehicle that is the size of a small house, it should have the comfort level to match. The little things like a removeable center console, split rear bench that can be taken out in halves and the nifty little plastic grocery bag holders and power outlets everywhere are nice. Most comfortable seats out of all the ones we checked out. One thing we wish we could get is the seperate media choices for rear passengers (Venture has this option), but a couple of inexpensive portable CD players should do the trick for the time being.

Exterior: Decent range of colors, although I still think the black offered by Toyota was cool.

Drivetrain: Decent size engine per horse power. I come from the old school of "want more horsepower, you need more cubes (or liters)". Still not comfortable with wringing every last ounce out of an engine, I'll leave that to race cars. The traction control option (and even AWD) are some nice to have options, but I don't know what that may cost in repair down the road. I do hope that they have resolved the transmission problems that some of the earlier Caravans had. That's my only drivetrain concern, and the extended warranty should help alleviate that.

This is the type of stuff I was hoping to find here (not a virtual shouting match), so I hope this will help someone else out who may be looking around.
    I guess most of the posters here are past the point of comparing and have purchased their choice vehicle. Now you see the next step, vehicle ownership. Read a little further into the messages and you may learn more differences between the vehicles (what is being defended) than things you may not have thought of before i.e. magic seat means no full size spare tire etc.
  • h20guyh20guy Member Posts: 64
    Full size spare means no magic seat etc.(choices) ;)

Midwesterner, thank you for your post we need more like it.
    So...where do you keep your mini spare tire? Not very comforting on long trips. Is it. Does Honda provide Road Side Assistance for the Ody? I know they don't offer it for my Accord, but my DC has it, as well as, a full spare tire.
  • coop20coop20 Member Posts: 1
    it's nice to see someone in here who cares about the facts. my wife and I own a 98 caravan e. we are looking to upgrade to a cc or odyssey or maybe even a montana. not sure yet what to get. we have only test driven the montanna. very nice solid comfortable ride. we would like to test drive a 2001 odyssey but there are none around us to test drive. have read alot of mixed reviews about all the vans we're interested in. I think no matter what vehicle you buy you can get a lemon. 2 years ago I bought a 99 s-10 and traded it in 7k later for 97 Dakota which I have been extremely happy with so who knows. we do think the dodge cc has the most to offer for the money. but we haven't made a firm decision on any model yet. hopefully people can take this area more seriosly in the future. any input would be greatly appreciated thank you
  • wannabuyavanwannabuyavan Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Midwesterner for your very unbiased opinions on these mini vans. However, I am still on the fence between the 2001's T&C EX (or maybe the LXi AWD- read on) and Ody EX. Now here is where I need some advice. We live in an area with a lot of snowfall. I mean a LOT of snow. I am debating on the merits of an AWD van vs. one with traction control. Of course the very big difference in MSRP for the AWD may decide for me. I wonder if the traction control would be sufficient for our road conditions (most people drive SUVs around here), and if so,is there a difference in the traction control between the Ody and T&C. Also, as I've only bought Hondas, any clues on how much off (besides the incentives) the MSRP I can expect to get on the T&C with some haggling.
This discussion has been closed.