Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Owners - Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owners Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owners Clubs

Comments

• frankno1frankno1 Member Posts: 68
    Name is Frankno1
    Vehicle F250SD CC 4X4 V10
    Truck name the Silver Bullet.
    Use mainly for towing. 17000
    miles on vehicle 15000 miles
    used on towing. Pulls a 9000#
    travel trailer, with Hensley
    Towing Hitch and gets 8mpg when
    pulling trailer. 11 to 12mpg
    empty. Very thirsty vehicle. Am looking
    at new Ford Diesel next year for
    better fuel ecomony. V10 enough power
    but cannot pass up a gas station.
    Cheers,
    Frankk
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    I have a '99 F-350 XLT Supercab, long bed, dually. It has the PSD with the 6-speed. As of today, the truck has 102k miles on it. To date, the only mod is a Western Diesel Turbo brake. But, now that the truck is completely out of warranty, I would like to do some other things to it, mainly a ram air, chip and straight turbo-back exhaust. I purchased the truck to haul a slide-in camper, but as things usually go, not long after I got the camper and truck, the wife decided the slide-in was too small. So now I have a 31' travel trailer. With the trailer and all of our gear, the rig grosses about 17k pounds. I usually get around 18.5 mpg empty and 11.25 mpg loaded. I'm knocking on wood right now, but so far the only problems I have had are a broken clock spring in the steering column and the infamous turbo bolts that won't stay put.

I love my PSD and intend on keeping it at least to 300k miles.
  • fordtuffordtuf Member Posts: 101
    it is a F250 XLT SC 4x4 V10 Wht/Slv.
    I live in the burbs of Atlanta.

Still love the V10, wish it was bigger. Installed K&N filter, have the JBA headers in my shop from my 99 I traded in.

Pull 27' TT, weighs 7500lbs, no problems, not the mileage a diesel gets but I'm a gas man.
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    Boy, you guys make me fell like a lil' pib squeak in here! 95 Ranger regular cab 4x2 in-line 4.

Tail light covers
    bug deflector
    Ford Duraliner bed liner
    JVC cassette head unit with a 12 disk changer crammed behind that miniscule space behind the back seats.

82 thousand miles, never been stranded.

Will hopefully be shopping for an F150 in a year or two.
  • steve616steve616 Member Posts: 5
    Truck is a 2001 F350XLT, CC, PSD, auto, 8' bed. Color is black with a silver bottom. I use it as my every day driver and also to pull a 30' travel trailer for vacations, etc. Plan soon to move up to a 5th wheel. Am planing on installing a Western Chip and going to the 285 tire size.

Love my Ford!
  • troym2troym2 Member Posts: 1
    Bought 1st new ford truck with 27 miles from the ford dealership. discovered that the front fender had been repainted and does not match in color or quality. overspray on window and inside engine compartment and turn signal out of place. dealership claims no records of any repairs on my truck. stating that i am s.o.l. local body shop says it will cost $638 to correct. I live in las vegas, NV. any suggestions. thanks, troy at troysaddress@aol.com
  • cyberdad2cyberdad2 Member Posts: 13
    Just bought a new 2001 SuperCrew XLT, 4x2, Tow Package and Anti-Slip Diff. With the 2003's almost out, the 2001's were finally marked down to where I could afford it!

Two tone green/beige (Nicknamed the green monster by my loving wife).

So far I love its size and ride.

Cyberdad Steve
  • allterrainallterrain Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone else own one? I bought it last September it has the 4.2 and I love it. I saw one posting that said if you were planning on buying a F150 with the 4.2 V6 to run the other way. I have 7K on it and so far its been awesome. Any comments or owners??
  • laudanskilaudanski Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer, purchased brand new. Truck has been wonderful and has been there for me thru everything. Now I own a brand new second truck, an F-350 Lariat Crew Cab Long Bed 7.3L V8 Diesel 2003 Model, Single Rear Wheel 4x4 FX4 package.

Nothing beats a Ford truck.
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    Now that you're a Powerstroker, you'll need to go to www.ford-diesel.com

Welcome to the club.
  • mrsmishamrsmisha Member Posts: 8
    I've been raised on ford trucks. Dad had a 1976 supercab F150 that died with over 400,000 miles on the original engine, and he worked that truck til it needed 2x4s to hold the engine up. now owns a 1986 F250 regular cab w/351W and C6 trans. Been rolled twice (physically that is) and is still going. I myself owned a 1990 F250 supercab XLT Lariot that I traded in with 198,000 miles with many needed repairs for my current 1999 Ranger 3.0L extended cab auto 4x4. Needless to say that the ranger has been hell on me. Check out script #582 under ranger problems to see what I'm talking about. If you would like to leave input, please do.
  • rayval43rayval43 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I am Ray.

I have a 1993 Ford F-250 Super Cab, long bed, 4-wheel drive, with a 460 ci. engine and a 168,000 miles. I have had the truck for 2 and a half years. I have had to do some repairs, mainly to the drive train, but the truck is in very good shape, drive great down the road, and runs like a champ, only minor work done to the engine. The gas mileage is bad, but it's very dependable, and pulls 10,000lbs easily. I have had many Ford and Chevy trucks, but I prefer Ford trucks, because they are built so well. The only two negitive things I have to say is, poor mileage, and real bad turning radius, as it has a 8 foot bed. Other than that, its a great truck.

I live in Lake In The Hills, IL.
    have owned 140 new and used cars and trucks since I have been driving.
    I know quite a bit about every aspect of vehicles.
    I am also a muscle car enthusiast.
  • ifd_32ifd_32 Member Posts: 3
    hi im new on here, my name is ronnie,
    i own a 1988 extended cab ford ranger, it has a built 302(5.0)with a c4 3speed transmission, 8.8 rear end with a 273 gear, i get 100miles to a tank of gas...which runs me 100$ a week:( and the gas hand doesn't work correctly so i have to go by the miles...lol
  • ksquaredksquared Member Posts: 1
    hey I just bought a 94 ranger. Its got the 2.3L engine and five speed tranny. just wondering, do you know any good ways of boosting power? the engine is a bit weak and I just put 31" tires and a lift and now need some more power to get it moving better. Gear change would work but looking for more power and help?

I have the same cd changer too but with xplod head unit, big speakers and amp
  • pusterracingpusterracing Member Posts: 186
    I've got an '03 F350 SuperCrew SB KingRanch with a 6.0L PSD, Power Moonroof, Pilot Brake Control, Removeable Goosneck (got a fiberglass lid though), Covermaster Lid, and tow a 27' Forest River Travel Trailer. My truck has no name....but I love it anyway.

-PR-
  • unhappy1unhappy1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a Ford 350 with 26,125. and the oil pumped failed taking the engine with it. Of course it was 6 months out of warranty. I've been working with Middlekauf Ford in Plano who was not very helpful and ultimatley passed me off to the Area Manager for Ford. Oscar, the Area Manager called me to get more info about what happened to my truck. I spent about 5 minutes with him on the phone. He told me they couldn't help me, and then hung up on me when I asked to speak to his supervisor. Has anyone else had this type of treatment with Ford Corporate, if so, how did you handle it.

One other note. NO ONE would give me the number for a regional office to Ford. But I have it now. Once again, NO ONE will take the time to call me back.

unhappy1
  • fixthisdudefixthisdude Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1996 Eddi Bauer Bronco. I have a problem. After I stop when I go to take off I get a clunk sometimes more than one. It almost feels like the back end drops. I checked my u bolts, replaced the uni joints,checked sway bar brackets, pleeease help. I am lost. I am pretty handy but this has stumped me. Thanks for any help you can give me.
  • barry47barry47 Member Posts: 1
    my 93 Ranger needs a new starter. however, i can't see how to get to the starter wire to remove it without first removing the upper and lower mounting bolts and letting the motor then hang down far enough to disconnect the wire. is this safe to do if i first disconnect the negative wire from the battery? or is something else required? any suggestions appreciated.
  • bronco3bronco3 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 1996 Eddie Bauer Bronco with what sounds like the exact same problem. Did you solve the issue? Any advice would be helpful right now.
  • jllewellynjllewellyn Member Posts: 7
    Hello I have a 93 F-350 diesel crew-cab recently I have had a problem with the brakes, sometimes they are power brakes and other times act like a non-power-assisted system would work. I always have brakes it just takes more pedal pressure sometimes. Can anyone help with what I should look at first?
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Had a similar thing with an '87 F-150. Some days I had to literally stand on the pedal to get the truck to stop quickly. Other times it only took normal pedal pressure. You could never tell what it was gonna be, normal stop or hard stop - finally got it fixed when I almost rear ended a bus. Turned out to be the Master Cylinder. There was a problem with fluid leaking internally - it never leaked out, but didn't always go where it was supposed to, and that would make for hard braking.

I do my own brakes - change out wheel cylinders, calipers, and brake lines too, but Master Cylinders are a bit beyond me,:confuse:! So, I left it to pros to fix. Truck stopped fine after that.
    Thanks for the information I have to get this fixed as we are going to use the truck for vacation transportation and others may be driving it. I don't need anyone else to get the hard brake surprise.
    Jay
    Hello I fixed the brakes. After talking to a few people about the problem I was having ( part-time power brakes) a couple things determined that it was the vacuum pump. Mainly the fact that when the hose that runs from the vacuum pump to a vacuum manifold, located on the left front inner fender, was removed there was little to no activity. When the vacuum hose running from that manifold to the brake booster was wiggled at the booster it was evident that the booster was holding vacuum. I always had brakes, although at times they required excessive pedal pressure, so i believed the master cylinder was okay. So the vacuum pump was replaced luckily it was the cheaper of the two that were listed. The pulley from the old pump has to be reused so a tool that pulls it off the old pump and pushes it onto the new pump has to used. The new pump had threaded bosses where the three bolts go through the pump, the old pump did not, the mounting area on the engine is threaded. I measured what the hole diameter was on the old pump, just over .375", and drilled out the new pump accordingly. Make sure you put the bolts through the holes in the pump before pushing on the pulley as they are too long to be installed after the pulley is in position.
    Thanks, Jay
  • cropercroper Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 F350 7.3 Diesel. I am having problems with my truck and with it stalling. I have had it on a diagnostic machine and it indicates ICP Pressure too high. When starting it, it runs for a few minutes then dies, I start it again, runs a few minutes then dies. I start it again and there is no throddle. I start it again and it runs OK until I get ready to use again and it starts all over again with dying and restarting, dying and restarting. I have changed the oil, oil filter, air cleaner and fuel filter. Any ideas on this problems.

Don :(
  • gofastnowgofastnow Member Posts: 1
    FORD F350, 2001 7.3 DIESEL
    CAM POSITION SENSOR at 42K
    I have had similar issues. Originally the engine would stall at speed and would usually re-crank and run a while longer. "Check engine" light did not illuminate except for twice out of the about 15 times it occured. Problem was the cam position sensor, bought on Ebay for 1/2 the dealer price and installed myself. Took about 15 minutes with the help of a web article of how to do.

ICP SENSOR at 43K
    About a month later the engine would stall as it was downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear (automatic). This time the engine light came on on every occurance. The engine light would eventually go out after some miles of driving.
    It progressively got worse. When the light would go out it would start to stumble at light load with throttle only cracked open. After stumble the engine light would come back on and the stumble would quit, but may again shutoff when coming to a stop. I had the ICP replaced only about 60 miles ago, but the engine is as smooth as original, so far.
    Independent garage about $300.00

Good luck, aren't modern vehicles great!?
  • amommyofmanyamommyofmany Member Posts: 2
    truck is not wanting to start not sure whats wrong anyone have any suggestions on what it could be. It can be push started. It is standard.
  • proamproam Member Posts: 2
    james i own a 2004 f350sd/psd 6.0 and a 1999 f250sd5.4 i transport light machinery like from 2,000plds up to 13,000lbs loader all with a double axle towmaster(roughly2000lbs i would say not positive) trailer equipped with electric brakes hooked up to a transmitter in the truck both truck pull increadbly my 99 get ready 188,000 miles pulling it whole life from 1,000 miles only problem was leaf springs thats it my brand new 6.0 350 pulls like nothing is there but way to many problems this truck has encountered my job relies on these trucks and when a brand new truck goes down the way this one does its shamefull i love driving this truck but simple if it keeps breaking i cant drive whick makes me unhappy bout this truck,which i am very shamefull to say cause the only reason why i bought this truck was cause i thought the 99 was time to retire and i di not want to encounter any problems down the road now took out a note and have nothing to show for it
  • lemon73lemon73 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had so many issues with this motor as I have, I bought the truck used, just after 100k since I have put in new injector seals, valve cover gaskets(burnt connnectors) new ICM, one new injector, and now after the new injector I am getting fuel faults, Ford dealer told me fuel just gelled, but has been in a garage 60deg. and outside temps above 35. four tanks of fuel through it, but anytime I get on it, usually getting on freeway, shuts down and can hardly keep it at 55. but after stopping and shutting down for a minute, all is fine, till I get on it. then yesterday, just leaving the parking lot, couldn;t get it up to 20..... sat for a min, alll was fine again.
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    Buying a 2007 F150 today.
  • kingswarriorkingswarrior Member Posts: 3
    Hi all, I have the above truck, bought at 11k miles former lease truck for a contractor..Supercab w 145" wheelbase..46L ..4x2..automatic w overdrive..trans cooler...Payload rating on door listed at 1,543 lbs. It has 18" M&S tires. (these are from a Lariat..mine is a stx)

I bought this with the intent of hauling a 1000lb slide in camper plus 500 lbs in cab (passengers). so its right at the max for payload. The salesperson said no problem, as often people put 1800 - 2000 lbs in this truck, with no modifications needed as long as its not constant.

(I am probably going to haul the camper 3000 miles a year...2 - 3 weeks per year. (mixed terrain..all highway ..Hills..mountains...valleys..) AZ..N.M. New England etc ....so To demonstrate the point, 1,850 lbs of sales associates got in the box ( 6 1/2 ft box) to determine how much room was left in suspension, seemed to be a good amount left. (however..after that test..I did notice a little more noise going over bumps (suspension noise) which may just be imagined..as its hard to believe 5 mins parked with 1850 lbs could harm anything).

But anyway..The salesperson knew I was getting a camper (a liteweight..pop top 1000 lb slide in cabover ) and said no problem, and no modifications needed , as its under payload rating. My questions are : do the 18" tires increase or decrease payload? at that weight, and for 2 weeks/3000 miles do I need any modifications? Does it affect warranty? ( as the literature came with a paper that stated do not use with a slidein camper..however the next paragraph was on how to load a slidein camper. ) can the engine haul it ok? Any advice from someone familiar with this would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Kingswarrior,

In all likelihood, the tires are the weakest link when it comes to load carrying capacity.

Here's what you need to do.

Find the vehicle placard. It will list the original tire size and the proper tire pressure for that size.

Then look at the 18" on the truck now. What size are they?

Post those 3 bits of information and I'll give you the answer to your question.

But from the beginning, I'll tell you that if you exceed the rated payload of the truck it will negatively affect the warranty. Any problem that can be traced to overload - and that covers a lot of territory - will be cause to deny warranty coverage.
    Hi, thanks for the help. info is: whats on the truck now are 18" max load 2271 lbs..P265/60R18 109T M&S. 35 psi..................... Original tire size says: P255/65R17 ..17x7SJ. 35 psi. ...........front GAWR 3450..rear GAWR 3800. also, may sound like a odd question, but is there any advantage to having the 17 " tires? I am sure, I would have to go to an set of 17" rims, to do this. and since this truck has paperwork stating a slidein camper is NOT recommended..(although dealership said its fine)...does it affect warrranty..EVEN if I stay UNDER the payload limit? Seems like if I stay under payload, and dont mention the camper, I should be fine? thanks.
    Hi, still looking for some answers, if anyone can help. Thanks. :confuse:
  • bullrider89bullrider89 Member Posts: 3
    hi im new here. I have a 91 f-150 with a 5.8 in it. i'm not sure if it has the windsor or the cleveland in it. someone told me its the cleveland but i think it the windsor. Only problems i've had is with the ignition elctrical system. i replaced that an it runs good. i would like to add some more power but i'm not sure what i want to due. if anyone has a truck like this with power upgrades let me know what they are and how u like them, thanks
    Hello after over 163,000 miles my ball joints need to be replaced I have never needed a repair manual to fix anything on my truck before but before I tear the front end apart I would like a manual can anyone recommend one.
    Thank you,
    jay
    Hello everyone, my truck engine acts up at any rpm's over 2500 it carrys on like a gas engine with bad wires, farts, cracks, backfires. I changed the fuel filter and added all kinds of fuel treatments. Anyone else experienced this problem? The engine has 172,000 miles.
    Thank you,
    Jay
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Jay - you'll probably get faster replies in the Ford F-Series Powerstroke Diesel Problems discussion. This is more of a meet-and-greet area.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • chilly94chilly94 Member Posts: 4
    hi all
    I am the proud owner of a black 93 and a white 94 first gen lightnings also have a 97 F350 psd 4wd and have just did a trans swap from an E4OD to ZF 5 speed.
    I just love that body, best lookin one in my opinoin lol.
    hope i can help anyone. look forword to meetin you all
  • susmanrealsusmanreal Member Posts: 1
    My son just brought a F350 diesel truck and we are trying to locate an owner's quide for it. Do you have any ideas about where to locate one?
    thank you
    barry
  • cincy686cincy686 Member Posts: 1
    I am the proud owner of a new 2009 F250 V-10. After doing a lot of research, I have figured out that the MOD industry is ignoring gasoline engines for Diesels. I love my V-10, but as funny as it may sound, I would like to find a way to increase my gas mileage. Can anyone advise if Bully Dog or any other product is available and would it help? or should I have bought a ..umm..Toyota?...cough...cough...no. Thanks.
  • hazardous1hazardous1 Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2003 F 250 6.0L Diesel Power Stroke. The truck has left me stranded 5 times in 297,000 miles. 4 times were due to injectors and once for the oil pump. I depend on a truck in my business and Ford has let me down. I also own 8 F-150's with the 5.4 L gas engines and have had great service. Several of the 5.4L are over 300K in miles. But as far as Diesel trucks I believe Ford screwed up when they abandoned the 7.3L. I have a fellow contractor with 30 Power strokes 2004 thru 2010. Half of them are in the shop with injector issues. I grew up a Ford fan and am considering the Duramax Allison combo for my next vehicle. If I could get a Ford truck with a Cummins engine and an Allison transmission I'd buy it.
  • dglasscockdglasscock Member Posts: 9
    I haven't heard anything good about the 6.0 yet. I have an old 95, 7.3 turbo and love it. Of course I only have 204, 000 on it right now.
  • breezy4breezy4 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2010 F150 king cab XLT. It has the 3v 4.6 with 6 spd transmission 4X2 . It is my first Ford product. I have put 7500 miles on it in 10 weeks. It is a pleasure to drive. I have three main complaints. I continue to accidently touch the set+ button on the cruise control the way I hold my hand on the steering wheel. I think the buttons shoud be reset in the steering wheel. Twice I have surged forward when I did not expect it. I have trouble in the rain with the lights on seeing the dash instruments. I feel the back lighting is poor. However, my biggest complaint is that there is a speed limiter control. I was not aware of this and when the truck suddenly slowed - no brake lights. I am lucky the car behind me was paying attention. Also a code is set in the computer so the service folks can tell you were at the limit I have since found out that every Ford vehicle has it and they do not publish this range for their vehicles. Even the service manager did not know. He had to get Ford engineering to answer and they wouild only give a range where it would occur. I was surprised when it happened.

On the plus side, I feel the gas mileage is a little better than I expected, the fit and finish is very good, the truck is reponsive on the highway and the ride is smooth and quiet. I find the seat very comfortable and it has a great exhaust sound. The radio is one of the better ones that I have had from a factory. I am also very pleased with the dealership in Panama City.
  • bigbutrbigbutr Member Posts: 111
    I too live in Panama City and was wondering about your dealer experience. I have talked with them a couple of times with very little pressure. Did you get a good deal on the truck? I'm still trying to decide what truck I want, but am leaning heavily (with wife's help) to the F150 XLT SuperCrew. I appreciate any feedback you can give me.
  • dlajrdlajr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 f350 crewcab 4x4 dually 7.3 powerstoke 4.10 gears and i get 18 to 19 mpg when running just truck hwy when i hook up to 52ft long gooseneck that weighs over 8000lbs empty it drops to 12 or so but am still real happy with performance use alot on farm and also some commercial i hear the new 6.7 is supposed to be an excellent motor am waiting to see how they fair
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you now own a Ford F-Series but previously drove a Chevy or GMC truck, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please respond to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, November 8 2010 and indicate which year and trim level Ford you bought.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jwrowejwrowe Member Posts: 1
    I purchased this F350 on 3/8/07. Current odometer reading is 36,589 miles. This is my fourth Ford truck and possibly a fifth, that being a 2013 F350 Diesel.

Does anybody have information on the new Ford 2013 F350 Diesels? Or know of a website where I can find out what Ford has planed for 2013 trucks?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    There will probably not be any information about the Ford Super Duty line until the Texas State Fair in September. 2013 production is not starting until late October... and the Ram HD line is waiting until January; they will extend 20012 production well into the fall.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to a loyal F-150 owner who is considering replacing his old truck. If you have owned F-150s, think it may be time to replace your aging truck and would like to share your story, please send your daytime contact info to PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 8 a.m. PT/11 a.m. ET.