Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1998 Chevy ZR2 S-10 P/U

J24J24 Member Posts: 17
edited February 2014 in Chevrolet
I'm considering buying a new truck this summer and
have been looking at the Zr2 off road package
offered by Chevy on their S-10 models. I'm looking
for people who have owned these trucks and what
their experiences have been with them. Good or
Bad. Thanks in advance for any input.

J

Comments

• petespetes Member Posts: 15
    If you buy one make sure that it is made in NJ, not LA (big difference in quality control).
  • MotormouthMotormouth Member Posts: 99
    Can you elaborate on that a bit? What is the main difference between them? How did you learn this? While the folks in L.A. may not like to hear it, if it's true, then maybe they'll redouble their efforts as the word gets out.
  • J24J24 Member Posts: 17
    petes
    I agree with Motormouth. How did you hear about the QC in NJ being better? I would like to know more about it as well.
    I had a 1996 S-10. The truck was mechanical nightmare, however, it did not rattle, squeek, buzz or have any type of sound coming from the inside. The bed of the truck was in perfect alaignment with the cab. There were even spaces around the body parts. For the most part everything seemed to fit. This truck was assembled in NJ.
    I bought a 1998 S-10 7 weeks and 3,000 miles ago. Before I took delivery there was a part that had to be replaced on the third door. A part under the hood was installed on top of another part and was pressing against the insulation and had to be repostioned. From the first day this truck has had nothing but rattles , squeeks and buzzes (dash and third door) It has been in the shop for a total of 12 days to have the rattles removed. When you look at the truck you can see that the bed does not line up with the cab (it sits lower than the cab plus it sticks out farther on one side). The third door has a gap towards the bottom and when you shut the drivers door the whole side flexes. you can stick your finger between the fender and chrome around the headlight on the left side and the right side is has much less of a gap. The left front side of the truck sits lower than the right side.There are others. This is an La truck.
    I walked through a large Chevy lot this week with a salesman and could tell the difference between every truck from 10 feet away (confirmed by the sticker).
    The NJ trucks appeared to have better fitting beds, headlight assemblies, tighter fitting parts in general.
    Until I see differently, if I buy another S-10 it will be assembled in NJ.
  • J24J24 Member Posts: 17
    petes,

I see. I will definitely have to keep that in mind. Although, is it possible when ordering a truck to request that it comes from New Jersey and not L.A.?
    J24
    That is a question only a dealer can answer. However any dealer can do a search for vehicles that have already been delivered to various dealers and tell by the 11th digit in the VIN. number and tell where the truck was assembled.(8 for La and K for NJ). Good Luck.
  • reset9reset9 Member Posts: 7
    NJ vs LA:
    I don't think that there is any guaranty that every truck assembled at any given plant will be the same just because of location!
    It is more likely that vehicles assembled after a week-end may have some glitches due to human "ingenuity" - or the lack of it- when it comes to how one spends his free time.
    That's my feeling too, reset9. We've all heard for years how cars built on Friday and Monday are good vehicles to avoid. It's not without merit. On Friday's, a lot of people are in a hurry to get done for the weekend and may not be focusing on details as they visualize their week-end plans.

On Monday, people are often "wasted" from a week-end that they tried to stretch a little too far into Sunday night.

Betcha what he saw was some Monday or Friday vehicles.
    Motormouth
    If what I saw were Monday or Friday vehicles LA just assembles on Monday and Friday. The truck that I own came from a different dealer then the one that I was at this past week. I have heard the same thing about Monday and Friday cars. I believe there is some truth in it. However, a sales manager from a Chevy dealer told me that he knows for a fact, that Tahoes built in Mexico are not assembled as well as Tahoes built in the U.S.. I know that S-10s built in LA are not of the same quality as S-10s built in NJ.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    My question is this: If this QC subject is true and quality does vary from plant, then what the hell is GM doing about it? The largest non-oil manufactuer of the world should wake up if they want to keep that title. How could this happen when tooling and training is supposed to be uniformed?
    In my personal opinion, it can be summed up in one word: NAFTA.

American manufacturers see a cheaper source of labor in Mexico, and that becomes the bottom line. Perhaps they have not yet developed the QC south of the border that we have enjoyed here for years.

IF this is the case (and I stress the word IF), then I would suggest customers inundate GM with complaint letters specifically identifying the source of the poor quality in hopes that they will respond.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    I didn't think LA was south of the border. As for the political issue, I better leave that one alone. I'm always RIGHT.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    I'll accept NAFTA as an answer for the Mexican built cars but what of the difference between American plants? Louisiana shouldn't have any noticible QC variables to the plant in New Jersey.
    Hell, both are union.
    ...when he mentioned LA, though I could wrong.

As to the difference in QC between plants, it has nothing to do with them being union. It has everything to do with the level of commitment of the shop stewards. There shouldn't be a variation, but it could be there IS in this case.

In either event, letters of discontent to GM are where you should be focusing your displeasure of their product. They won't accomplish much here. If they get enough letters at GM headquarters, however, that's when you will see some action.

People today often underestimate the power of the written letter. It DOES get read by someone in that division, and it usually gets a reply.

I've been a consumer advocate for years, and I don't hesitate to write letters when I think something isn't being done or handled right. I almost always get a response... and far more often then not, I get the problem resolved.

All it takes is a little effort to research the right person to write to... and the person to send a "cc" of that letter if the person you wrote to first ignores your letter.
This discussion has been closed.