Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Are Volkswagen parts really expensive???

monicab1monicab1 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Volkswagen
I am not sure because I heard something about VW parts, that they are the most expensive ones..is it true?? \
what do you recommend ? I receive any comments or suggestions, please help

Comments

• Options
    tbaytbay Member Posts: 22
    Parts for european cars have always tended to be expensive. A friend of mine recently had an oil change on her Passat and part of the bill for her $70 (no typo!) oil change was a $30 charge for the oil filter (yikes!). Back in the 1960's my Dad had a Beetle and said a brake job then would usually be twice what it would be on an American car.
  • Options
    swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    so many stories about the $900 muffler, and every time I talk to somebody with an experienced krautmobile, I find these are not exaggerations.

the good news is, they are finely machined.

the bad news is, it was done by unicorns using each particle of diamond dust one and only one time, and they never missed a break period.
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    The $70 oil change should be for synthetic oil.

check out places like http://www.vwparts.com or http://www.parts4vws.com

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I've never paid more than $40 for an oil change on my Jetta.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I've never paid more than $8.00 for an oil change!

(Do it myself---Less than $4 for filter, less than $.69 per quart for oil on sale w/rebates). Of course, this is for a Taurus--maybe VW filters cost $20???
  • Options
    Your Roving Host has to have it done at the dealership, though. If it's at all possible, I actually have LESS than zero technical expertise.

VW filters are slightly more expensive, though.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    My oil filter costs $8 at the dealership.
  • Options
    tbaytbay Member Posts: 22
    .......was for regular oil only folks!
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    VW does not make oil and except for TDI VW's do not require oil that is anything out of ordinary. Even oil for TDI which must be synthetic diesel oil is available at Walmart for $12.88 a gallon. OEM style filters made by Mann or Hengst are available online for around $6.00 and available for a couple dollars more at auto parts stores locally. So paying $70 for an oil change is shame on the dealer and shame on the owner for allowing such a greedy dealer to profit so much. Regular maintenance parts are not excessive cost, though parts such as alternator are significantly higher than the cost of domestic auto parts.
  • Options
    wainwain Member Posts: 479
    in my city
    toyota dealer $19.95
    infiniti dealer 29.95
    mercedes 85

they prob all use the same oil
  • Options
    saturnfansaturnfan Member Posts: 40
    Wow! My Toyota dealer sells Toyota filters for $3.99
  • Options
    Example: Today I need a new brake light switch - $60 parts & labor included. I also chose to get my oil changed, since I am somewhat maintenance-lazy and might otherwise let it go too long - additional $38.

Right, so $38 is probably paying over the odds, and if I shopped it around, I could probably do for much less... but I couldn't be bothered.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    windblownhairwindblownhair Member Posts: 7
    you were slightly "high grossed!!..$70 bucks is pricey in anyone's book..it's a shame woemen can't get service without being "serviced"!!
    --when i had my -64 bug in california,i learned to NOT buy the mexican brake parts,like drums, even shoes!! (the glue would break down under heat!!..and the drums were made with cheaper metal )first time you hit a water puddle,if the brakes were warm at all,they would warp..got the one's from germany,..$40.each,as opposed to $19.95 on sale at bugpac,it was worth th extra money..they are still making the super beetle in either mexico or brazil..they won't pass e.p.a., so ya can't get 'em here still,a cheap driver..
    with most german cars i've had,it's worth shopping around ,but the cheap price isn't always you're best value..find out who made the part,
    with the bug, you could put a set of $1.99 points in it,two month's later it's running rough..put a set in from bosch,and it ran great for a year!!(i did finally learn to adjust mt own valves!!what a pain!!)..a great car,if you fixed it all the time..bought it for $200. drove it 3 years,sold to a street rodder for $950. i did rebuild the engine,but,served me well..
    ..if you learn to fix it yourself,buy the good parts..they stay fixed longer.. maybe the g8irl with the $70. oil change could buy a few filters at wallyworld,and pay the mecanic for his time?!
This discussion has been closed.