Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004 GMC Envoy XUV

fst1fst1 Member Posts: 18
edited March 2014 in GMC
The XUV would seem to have the most versatility of any sport ute out there, but is it really that much better than the Explorer Sport Trac?

Comments

• lrymallrymal Member Posts: 105
    If it only had Quadrasteer........
  • jdivokyjdivoky Member Posts: 3
    I don't see it as needed for the size of vehicle especially given the significant extra cost.
  • BrettFBrettF Member Posts: 3
    Unfortunately, the Envoy XUV won't be available for another year (GMC.com says "early fall 2003"). IMHO, it's kind of frustrating to see so much info about this vehicle (it's even listed second on their list of vehicles on the site) when it's not going to be available for over a year. I guess they want to build the hype.
    The XUV info at gmc.com is not available today. Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought it was an imminent offering. Especially the way they listed it on their main page. An article at motortrend.com used the expression "later this summer" which doesn't sound like Fall 2003. Oh well, I need a vehicle now, not next year.
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    I'm getting excited! I think I can hold out until fall next year for this baby...
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    Info is available now, by the way. Go to

http://www.gmc.com/gmcjsp/envoy/

and click on the 2004 Envoy XUV link.

• joefooshjoefoosh Member Posts: 2
    I was shopping for now, considering Avalanche & Envoy, but deciding to wait to check out XUV next year.
    Gonna lose these great discount/finance deals now out there? Seems GMC is undermining present market demand with publicity approach on XUV.
  • jeff186jeff186 Member Posts: 95
    OK, any word if when this vehicle is coming out? If it's om '04, does that mean October?
  • jeff186jeff186 Member Posts: 95
    Anyone know if it's there?
  • blaronnblaronn Member Posts: 2
    Edmunds is saying it'll be available in September '03. Only four months or so to wait. The GMC website said it would be at the NY auto show. No idea whether it was or not. jeff186, did you make it out there, and if so, what did you think about the XUV? (assuming it was actually there too)
  • blaronnblaronn Member Posts: 2
    XUV availability likely delayed. Read details at:
      http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/EnvoyXUV/
  • blunv1blunv1 Member Posts: 1
    The Oklahoma plant will re-open june 30th. Production of the XUV to start in sept., and be in showrooms by the end of the month. I will be there with check in hand. Tom
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The XUV is the featured vehicle on this week's spotlight ad on the main edmunds.com page.

Anyone seen any of these on their way to the dealers?

Steve, Host
  • mkarpmkarp Member Posts: 22
    Does anyone know when this vehicle will be in the show rooms? I did a drive by today and did not see any on the lot.
  • eemeryeemery Member Posts: 1
    I work at the OKC plant, we are starting up the build of XUV this month, but I do not know for sure if they are capture fleet or "for Sale" units yet. I would expect to see the XUVs by Christmas since we are going to be at full speed by late November..
  • falcon74falcon74 Member Posts: 67
  • shifty4shifty4 Member Posts: 53
    I really like the concept of the XUV and gathered as much info as possible without the ability to see it or drive it. I had to purchase a >6,000 lb GVWR vehicle prior to yearend to get the business tax break. I felt uneasy about GMC's ability to deliver prior to year end. I chose the Lexus GX470, Build 9700B when they raised the GVWR to 6,150. No real regrets.
  • fixermanfixerman Member Posts: 2
    Guys & Gals,
    My son & I saw a real live XUV on the car lot tonight! Pretty slick looking. I am test driving it tomorrow. Wish me luck.
  • mkarpmkarp Member Posts: 22
    Are these now on the lots? I am very interested in seeing on in person.

fixerman: how did the test drive work out?
  • fixermanfixerman Member Posts: 2
    mkarp,
    The test drive went so well it is now in my garage! It is a cool vehicle. The roof works great. I very much like the way the tailgate swings open. We probably would not have gotten it if it just lowered the way the others do. It really makes the whole back end usable.
    Hope to see you driving down the road! Honk Honk
    Fixerman
  • falcon74falcon74 Member Posts: 67
    Just wondering....how could you already have one since November when they don't start coming to the dealerships until mid- January???
  • pwitzpwitz Member Posts: 51
    My dealer up here in Rochester,NY has loads of 'em now...he must have at least 10 of them in stock. I'm checking to see if I can try one out on the 24 hour test-drive thing.
  • shifty4shifty4 Member Posts: 53
    There has not been a post on this board in 30 days. Has no one bought the XUV or is there nothing to say about it?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I guess that's the interest level in this new GM design
  • hersubaruhersubaru Member Posts: 1
    I bought a White 2004 Envoy XUV SLT for my wife this weekend. It is absolutely the quintessential pet mobile compared with my Acura MDX. The midgate with all weather cladding in the cargo area keeps the critters out of upholstery harms way. It will also be great for hauling trees from the nursery, my 8HP rototiller to the repair shop and other taller than normal items that just don't fit well in the normal cargo areas. Got a great deal with $3,500 rebate, full retail value trade-in allowance on the 2001 Subaru VDC Wagon plus 3.9% financing. The rig comes with a navigation system, XM radio, plush leather upholstery, adjustable gas and brake pedals, memory seats, rain sensitive wiper and side impact air bags. It's built highway cruising with a mushie suspension that doesn't provide much cornering ability but will be great for long trips. We got the 6 cylinder because the V8 was an extra $1,500 with only 15HP more since we do not haul a trailer. My wife likes the truck-like feel while I prefer my car-like MDX handling. But when it comes to hauling stuff or critters, this XUV is best of breed. Hmmm I guess I will not have to change my handle to HerXUV!
  • dsharonedsharone Member Posts: 1
    Hi, all.
    I am a female and I just bought the XUV for the convenience of a car/SUV and a pickup. I must say that I absolutely LOVE it. It is everything that I could ask for. I bought the SLE 2WD but the dealer had ordered it with an upgraded stereo, OnStar/built-in phone, side airbags, heated OS mirrors & auto-dimming review mirror, just to name a few of the options, but he sold it for the price of a basic model. I'm still referring to the manual to learn how to operate this stuff. I upgraded from a top of the line Toyota Solara, and I have not been disappointed in the least. The ride is actually smoother and softer than the Solara due to the Bilstein Luxury shocks that are standard on all XUV's. With the GM incentives and my discount as a GM supplier employee, I snatched one with not a penny down! I must say, the greatest selling point was the sliding roof. I have a friend that owns a Mercedes C320, and she commented that Mercedes had nothing on this vehicle. She was impressed by all the things it could do and the options that it had. I have never owned a GMC before, but if the service is as pleasant as the sales transaction, I will be a happy camper! As a precautionary measure, I purchased an Extended Warranty. Test drive one and you too will be sold!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A newspaper reporter aims to interview people who are dealing with vehicle recalls, such as the recent problems with the back gate on the pickups. Please send your daytime contact info to farataye@yahoo.com or jfallon@edmunds.com by Wednesday, April 7, 2004.
  • puppypaws12puppypaws12 Member Posts: 1
    I bought the white one as well. I can't stop raving about this vehicle - especially with ZERO percent financing!!!! Anyone in the LA area - go to Rydell in Van Nuys. They ROCK! They have taken care of me and my buddy who bought a Tahoe from them. As for the cargo area, I tether two of my dogs in the rear area with harnesses, a straightened choke chain and a caribeener on each end. That way, they won't jump out while driving. I love the power glass in the midgate and I love the fact that the rear door opens down or to the side.

Options: If you have dogs, get the leather seats and the two front seats are HEATED!!!!! Great for long drives or after a long day. And get 4 extra cargo tie-out loops. There are 12 holes, yet only 4 come with the vehicle. I also wish there was a retractable cargo cover back there, a work light under the hood, an arm rest in the rear seat and a pop-out no-spill water bowl in the cargo area for the pups.

I also love the air compressor in the cargo area. Perfect for an air mattress. They even sell a tent rig for the back of the XUV. Kind of makes it a mini RV. The other day, one of my dogs barfed in the cargo area. I broke out the hose and washed it right out - it has vents built in. So it ran right underneath the truck.

FYI: any of you Envoy XUV owners want a roof rack....use this GM part number: 12497469 Bar Kit. It needs to be THIS one because it needs clearance for the retractable roof. You can also use the Yakima tower kit for stock rails.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Does the Midgate have glass in it? In other words, if the roof is open and the tailgate glass is down, can the interior of the truck still be sealed?
  • klingkling Member Posts: 1
    atlgaxt,
    yeah, it has a power glass window in the midgate.
    (i guess they learned their lesson with the manual one with the avalanche). With it up, it is secure and waterproof. they say you can go through a carwash with the roof open and the midgate up and it will drain out and the inside will stay dry.

all,
    I just leased one a few weeks ago.
    I love it, but there are a few things:
    1) The daytime running lights don't seem to go on when it rains (any other xuv owners notice this?)
    2) the 60/40 rear back seat it usually a great feature, but because of the midgate, it's useless, and in fact, it just creates extra work when folding everything down
    3) The tie down rings in the back ... they have places for 12 of them and put in 4, and want you to use a star wrench to move them. the dealer says they're $20 each. GM could have put them in in the factory for a total of about $50. GM took the cheap way out there.

Don't get me wrong, I don't regret it, I'm 90% happy with it.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    thoughts on the long-term reliability of the motorized roof???...does it seal well against the wind and the rain (esp the rain), and will it still seal well in 4 or 5 years???
This discussion has been closed.