Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003 Saab 9-3

Comments

• diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    It was blue - very BMW-ish from certain angles, looked a little bigger than a 3-Series.

Paint was shiny and thick. Had the requisite jeweled headlights.

Overall, nicely done. Saw some spy pics of the hatchback and that too looked nice.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Where are the spy pics of the hatchback?
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    http://www.thehollywoodextra.com/saab/saab.html

Vince's web site is notorious for having photoshopped pictures, but these look real to me.

Thanks diploid.

I like the hatches, and the wagon too. I would be in the market for a 4 door, but the 2 door hatch looks a little better. I think the rear deck on the 4 door is too short, making the c- pillar a little big and awkward (still like the car though) - too bad the 4 door does not have the same treatment in the rear as the 2 door with the longer deck and smaller c-pillar. Maybe it will by the time it gets produced.
  • saablover2saablover2 Member Posts: 10
    i really think the saab will stand strong aganist the bmw. but you got to admit the bmw is nice.but with the new seden model look and new platform and engine and just about everything else new you dont know what to expect. and being better saftey wise that is a good for saab.and i think the look is nicer then the bmw.but i know you will have to wait to spring to see fast wise because 175hp 4cyl turbo dont stand a chance aganist the bmw.and the front wheel drive will be better for the snow. also my opinion about it is seden model stock 16in rims with perilli tires or 18in rims. with a 6cyl 250hp turbo 2.5 liter and sporter looking with rear spoiler and tinted windows lower to the ground. and the old seats with the turbo inprinted on the seat.with all the stuff that the new model will have. then that car will kick [non-permissible content removed]. i will pay like 38,000 base for that.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    I like both cars. Comparing the two on some levels makes sense and is human nature. But in the end, a comparison of the cars is difficult. The end result may be the same, but they use very different ways to get there. Personally, I think having diverse alternatives is great.
  • jsrowejsrowe Member Posts: 9
    I too was disappointed that AWD was not offered on the new 9-3 because my '95 900SET is *terrible* in the snow. I'd love to jump at the new 9-3 but if it's not substantially better than my current car, I'd be really disappointed. Can anyone explain why mine is so poor and give me hope that a new 2.0T will be better?
    Tires zre the most important factor in snow performance. What tires do you have?
  • tcams76tcams76 Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone know the gas type these new Saabs use?
  • jsrowejsrowe Member Posts: 9
    dudleyr: I have had a couple different ones, including Michelin Z rated and some Yokohamas. I've never put snow tires on it but I've lived in CO for 5 years and never put snow tires on any cars (My '86 Honda Prelude was great in the snow)
    That answers the question. Z-rated summer tires are not designed for snow at all, at least the prelude probably had all weather tires. You can either get all weather tires and have a compromise 100% of the time, or use the tires appropriate for the season. If you really don't think you have enough snow to warrant snow tires, there are some decent all weathers that will be compromise but handle well and will get you through light snow.

Evan an AWD vehicle with z-rated summer tires is going to be horrible in the snow - especially when you hit the brakes.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Dallas dealer supposed to have a auto and 5 speed for test drives in the next 2 days according to sales there.

DL
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    Not quite.... Sewell will be getting there 9-3's on Friday, but they will not be available for test drives until Saturday at the earliest. Sorry, but the service techs get the first crack at these cars. I was told that Monday would be the best day to come by.
    Are you comming all the way from Alabama to drive one? they told me a couple of days,but they would call me. im not off til monday so no big deal.

good luck
    DL
  • temprontempron Member Posts: 8
    and unfortunately I was not impressed with it's looks, however the interior looks quite nice. My feeling is that the exterior styling is crisp but a bit boring, like it will just fade into oblivion after a few months of seeing them on the road. It just did not grab me at all. Thus said, I of course did not drive it, and it may be fantastic on this front but let's face it, if it doesn't visually grab me, I'm not particularly motivated to even take a test drive. Oh well, I had high hopes. Previously owned an 89 900 and a 94 900, both bought new. I will always hold a fondness for Saab's in general, my conclusion is that they just did not get the styling right on this new 9-3 (for me anyway).
  • shades80shades80 Member Posts: 53
    Very impressive...hugs the road..tight controled grip..steering a little loose but not as much as other competitors..im getting one...sticker with every option was 32.8K...was black/char..linear with launch pack, tire /wheel pack and cold weather pack...all for 32.8K..felt fast for 175hp..torque is 195...green backlighting was beautiful...no real complaints..drive a bmw now..considering a g35, another bmw or poss madza 6 v6...
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    to test drive one. Although I would really like the Arc model with the higher performance engine. Why is Saab not launching all models at one? Seems like a strange way to launch a new product? It would make more sence to come out with the more expensive models first for a couple of reasons-
    -more profit potential
    -higher performane models should get more positive press, hence helping sales.
    -all three models give customers a wider range to choose from, with out this potential sale could be lost be consumers choosing other models with better performance.
    Just my thoughts.
    Did you drive one at Sewell also ? I thought it was much better in person that the photos ive seen. only thing the steering wheel seemed to have a large diam, ?

I also thought for a 175hp sluch box it wasnt bad, but for a loaded up at 32,8 i think id rather have a arc with manual.

The dash was very nice, and i have to say Saab has more nice wheels available than any one, and lots of accessories.

The 11th is the lauch date however they claim to not know what cars are comming in, or can take orders, no ED for about a year also.... that stinks.

DL
  • phoenexiusphoenexius Member Posts: 30
    All models (Linear, Arc, Vector, Aero) have been launched in home (read proven) markets.

If saab could actually sell a decent number of cars in North America the latest 93 would not have as mainstream a design and they would have all models available from the launch.

Only the Aero gets the 210 hp in Europe.

The Aero is 32,500 Euro, man am I buying my next saab in europe.
  • devil_tazdevil_taz Member Posts: 21
    For those who have test drove the new 9-3, hows the back seat room?Would it fit 3 average size (5"7 120-150lbs) adults adults comfortably?
    Also, is it just me or is the steering wheel from the cadillac cts?
    Drove it at Dirito in Walnut creek...i was told as well not to expect a car till early Nov..they had no idea what colors or options are coming..i told salesman my preference and he will call me if that setup was on first allotment.
    Steering wheel kinda like the cts..i have driven both but the saab was meatier and smaller..
    Are you in US or Belgium ? They are telling me cant do a ED just yet on theses models.

Taz. comparied to my 3er, A4 ect.. the back seat looked more roomy, but i did not set back there, one thing i did not mention is the trunk was HUGE plus fold down seats...

i never drove a cts, so im not sure . the wheel was nice and thick, it just seemed large in diameter.

If the cars show up on the 11th, ill post what comes in.

DL
    dl7265;

Are you thinking about doing an ED? I am. I have heard that the Saab people are especially helpful. I've also heard Sweden is a great place to get some European driving experience in the new car before heading south to more crowded Germany and France. Have you heard anything positive/negative? Thanks.
    yes i am. But depends on the time frame. if its not available til next year that might be too late. of course the BMW ED is very popular and a great savings. I cant find on Saab what the discount is. used to be if i recall a discount and 2 free tickets, that may have changed though.
    if i hear more ill let you know.

DL
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    Little different setup for the North American market. Linear is out now with the 175hp engine. Arc and Vector out in Spring with with Arc's 210hp engine. Spring of 2004, the Vector will get its own engine. Reportly, Vector will be getting a 250hp engine. That is what I am waiting for.

I am interested to see how things turn out. Here in North Dallas, Saabs are still a little scarce so it is nice to be original. But, I have test driven a 330i and must say they are nice. The throw on the manual is a little long, but is smooth. I guess we will see how things turn out in 2004. Later y'all!
    I just noticed Edmunds has invoice pricing , and no supprise there is not very much mark up at all. i guess due to the low starting price.

Glenn your right, my 3er in Dallas is as common as a accord . I like the 9'3 styling myself.even though there is allmost no one posting here, my sales lady had a fist full of contact cards allready,

DL
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You may have already noticed, but we're having a chat on Thursday, Oct. 17 with some reps from Saab USA to talk about the 2003 Saab 9-3. It'll be question & answer format, so it's a great opportunity to find out a bit more about the 9-3.

Here's the link for details:

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/saab93chat101702.html

kirstie_h

Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Does anybody who has seen the 9-3 know what the EPA mileage numbers are? Preferrably for the manual tranny on the 175 hp model. Thanks.
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    gBrianK, that's interesting that you say they're scarce in North Dallas. The suburb of Addison (in North Dallas) uses Saab 900 turbos as their police cars! Or at least they did at one point.
    This first 03 9-3 with 175hp/195tque has everything the arc and vector will have has minus the extra interior trim and the larger engine...when i saw it, i was impressed..im not a saab loyalist so the new styling points hit the mark for me...never liked the prev versions..european press has raved about this car..they are usually very critical so this was definitely a good thing...only hesitation is reliability and resale...anyone else drive it yet?
  • JingleJillJingleJill Member Posts: 120
    DL are you thinking of switching over to the SAAB?

I saw one the other day here in SA. Very nice looking.

Stacy
    On the auto it was like 21-29 not bad, didnt see the 5 or 6 speed.

Host, i have to work that day :( , will there be transcipts ?

Addison Police: are in Dodge Durangos these days. makes me wonder why im in a Ford .....

Linear launch : i agree its a nominal fee to move up to 210hp, most makes have a large gap just to go up in HP.

Stacy, dont shoot at me yet :), You know i love my 3er, i am still disgusted over the huge price increase for 2003, so im looking at a few alternatives til i can do a ED. btw thanks for photos of "Pierce".really looks nice. Im really not fond of the new sedan lights, i prefer my car actually...

DL
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    What a shame. They used to have such a reputation for the Saab police force.

Of course in Europe, everything from Ford Mondeos to Saabs to BMW's are police cars.
  • JingleJillJingleJill Member Posts: 120
    I'm not going to shoot you...YET!!!

Hey, I like the looks of the new 9-3 and the price is very nice. Have you driven one yet? If so, let me know what you think. I'd like to drive one just to see what they are like.

As for the new lights on the sedan, I don't like them either. The lights on the coupe are much nicer. I'm glad I got an '02 instead of the '03. I might have a year old car now, but it has no miles on it. (I plan on keeping this one!!! I PROMISE) I just hit 1500 miles and I've been getting about 26mpg. Not to shabby.

My husband and I are going on a "road trip" next week. We'll be taking his truck (02 Dodge Ram Quad Cab)(her name is Belle)up to Maine and back. Pierce will be sitting at home resting. ;o)

Hey, it is finally cooling down...I can't wait to take the Miata out more. ;o)

(Do I have too many cars?)

Stacy
    Belive it or not Stacy this is the 1st time im down to one car ! so i am looking for a little more utility.

Actually i did drive one of the 1st 93 they got in , in slush box version. For a fwd it was pretty nice, like i mentioned i Really like the wheel choices they have...

I concured on your 02 Coupe looking the best i hope they dont screw the coupes look up now :(.

Maine thats some road trip, i bet Pierce is jelous :).... im sure there are some nice twisties on the way,,, im going up to my cabin and then to okla this weekend myself, alli can say is

Go SOONERS :)

DL
  • phoenexiusphoenexius Member Posts: 30
    dl - In Belgium, saab dealer two blocks away

Vector with 250 hp should be sweet. I assume they'll take the 2.3t from the 9-5. I hope they make a new aluminum block and head (like they did with the 2.0t).
    On second thought the Hirsch upgrades to the 9-5 Aero could kick some serious [non-permissible content removed] in the the 9-3 (280 or 305 hp from the 2.3t)
    http://www.saab.com/main/GLOBAL/en/pressreleases.xml?id=1

I'll let you know if/when the 250 hp comes out in europe.

Here is a link for the European mileage numbers (in metric of course):

http://www.saab.com/main/GLOBAL/en/environ_prod_93s.xml

Those of you who drove it, can you feel the ReAxs?

WOW 305hp in a fwd ? i bet thats exciting, im suprised a 0-60 of only 6.4 also. Looks like wont be comming over the pond for us anyways...

ReAxs um no i didn't matter a fact i forgot til u mentioned it. Ill have to pay more attention on my next drive.

thanks for the links..
    DL
    The complaints from Saab hard liners aside, appears GM has a sweet little success story simmering up in Sweden:

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/press/021006.html

The launch success of the 9-3 per the linked report above is probably behind Saab's delay in getting the ED program going. I intend to take part in the Edmunds Town Hall meeting with the Saab people on the 17th. Maybe they can shed some insight.
    Thanks Tom, i just got back in town , it will be interesting to see what they say. Like i mentioned according to Edmunds info there is not very much between invoice and msrp, a ED would be nice.

DL
  • rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    I just got a look at the new 9-3 (inside and out). Very nice. Thought the exterior was much more distinctive than the pictures led me to believe. Loved the inside (except the tacky fabric on the doors and the armrests, and the cheap plastic covering the handbrake). Other than that, the interior was quite elegant.

I just wish the Navigation system, which is available in Europe, was going to be availble before 2004 here in the US...
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...the 9-3 last Thursday. I was pleasantly suprised by the room in the back seat. Saab did a nice job scooping out the front seatbacks to allow for more leg room in the rear. Loads of room up front. I'd like to compare this to the TSX when it comes out. Both look to be in the same price/performance area.

I was suprised to see the sticker list Japan as the source of the transmission on the automatic. Not being a Saabista, I was wondering about that.
    What is a TSX ? :)

DL
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Local dealer has 4, not make that 3 new 9-3's. One was sold when I was there. One manual the rest were autos. Manual was a base with no options. All if the autos were with the launch package. The car looks very sharp. Had one in the Merlot color - awesome color. Looks very sporty. I might go this week and see if I can test drive one. If I were to get one I will wait for the Arc model. From my first impressions and the few reviews I have read I think Saab will have a winner with this one. In Europe apparently demand well exceeds supply. Looks forward to hearing from anyone who has driven one.
    TSX is an Acura version of the European Accord.

http://auto.ascii24.com/auto24/auto24.cgi?source=issue/2002/1011/npr_kt1011_03_03.html

More info on TSX area of sedans board.

Black/Char every option for 32.8K-Linear launch..steering was sharp but just a little loose..off the line was quick and precise..there was an accident on the freeway so i couldnt blow it out but the little i did do put a smile on my face..love the green lighting, interior was sharp with high quality materials..i drive a 95 bmw now and its kinda weird but when i drove the saab, it felt like i was in my bimmer..i have never felt that way with any other car i test drove before even the 02 bimmers..i want one.
    Don't forget Thursday's Saab 9-3 chat, 5-6pm PT/8-9pm ET.

Here's the link for details:

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/saab93chat101702.html

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    I owned a Saab that had some unfortunate build quality issues...and it just kept running me between the mechanic and the cash machine.

Are new models getting any better regarding repair costs?

I know Saabs are still Saabs, but is the GM influence helping to reduce prices for parts and repair?

Would love a new 9-3 (little high price for me ATM) but not sure if I would feel comfortable about the possible reliability/repair issues.

Personally, I loved the last generation design, and this one looks cool too. I will miss the hatch though...that was one of the most unique and polarizingly beautiful cars on the roads. :)

I just think at the price, it would be hard to overlook an S60, or 325, or A4.
  • rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    I missed most of the townhall chat about the 2003 9-3 last night. Anyone able to summarize the interesting tidbits/info that was revealed?
    Well, I was there for the whole she-bang, and we got a lot of questions answered. The transcript of the chat should be up in a couple of days, and I'll be sure to post the link to it.

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

This discussion has been closed.