Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Hybrid

Comments

• ucbrendanucbrendan Member Posts: 3
    I have just entered the market for a new vehicle and the 2008 Escape hybrid is really appealing to me. I especially like the full tax credit, and I am hoping it stays around for another month or so.

My question concerns the battery life in the hybrids. I have read around and found some contradicting information on the battery life, cost to repair, etc. Basically I heard the battery needs to be completely replaced every 3-5 years, at a cost of about $3000. Any thoughts?

I figured this would be a good place to get some honest feedback on possible battery problems with the hybrid.
  • devomidevomi Member Posts: 10
    They Hybrid technology, which includes the battery comes with a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty from Ford Motor. Another nice part is the oil change interval is every 10,000 miles.
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    After three years on the market, I have yet to see a failure of the High Voltage Battery reported to any of the forums or the technical bulletin clearing houses. [I did see mention of some taxis with 200,000 miles on them in 2 years that replaced the HVBs] The HVBattery and the car's computer software is designed to use only a fraction of the real capacity - so as to extend the useful life. Plus, it is under full warranty for 8 years or 100,000 miles (more in some states). :D

Be careful not to spend the tax credit before you get it. As with all credits, the tax code will only let you take the credits until they reduce your tax bill to what you would pay if you were paying the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) - even if you are not in the AMT range. Some of us buyers who are not paying AMT only received between 1/2 and 3/4 of the credit when we actually computed our taxes. :cry:
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    Just wanted to thank those who offered advice. I am the soon-to-be proud owner of an Escape XLT - but not the hybrid. My driving habits just don't warrant it.

I do think the hybrid is a sweet vehicle and I wish all you lucky owners the best.

Ladyblue :shades:
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Standard Federal Emissions. 8 years 100,000 miles full replacement cost.

If the window sticker or sticker under the hood says "california emissions" and you buy the car in a california emissions or "cross-border" state, you get:

8 years 100,000 miles warranty on the hybrid components PLUS 10 years or 150,000 miles full replacement cost on the hybrid high voltage battery.

Mark.
  • bouser63bouser63 Member Posts: 1
    Dave have you had any response about your noise? I just had my 08 Escape hybrid at the dealer and also told me this was a normal noise..I disagree! I test drove a number of escapes and even the one I bought didn't make the whistle noise. It just started this week after about 600 miles on the car. I think they just don't know what it is so they just call it normal and I should just drive with the radio blaring loud enough not to hear it.
  • dave_f_ndave_f_n Member Posts: 8
    Just thought I would post the latest developments on my '08 Escape Hybrid that has a high pitched whistle at about 1600 rpm's going between 60 and 70 mph.

1.The service manager had me go out with their hybrid mechanic in one of their '08 Hybrid Escapes sitting on the lot. The mechanic agreed that the noise in my hybrid is the loudest of the three '08's he's driven. I was riding shotgun and honestly didn't hear any noise at all!
    2.The service manager arranged for the Tristate field engineer to road test my car.
    3.Dropped off Whistler on 6/22/07 and I went on vacation.
    4.Checked my phone messages – Service manager called – the noise according to the field engineer and engineering is a “normal hybrid noise” - “the field engineer wrote a report” - the rest of the message was garbled.
    5.Will pick up Whistler and the field engineer's report on 7/5/07 and post the opinion of the field engineer.

If anyone has a similar problem and would like to contact me my e-mail address is dave_f_n@yahoo.com
    are those crappy conti's to blame?

Mark.
  • dave_f_ndave_f_n Member Posts: 8
    Back from vacation and picked up Whistler (’08 AWD Escape Hybrid). My previous posts outlined the problem (1390, 1393, 1412). The service manager arranged for the field engineer to test drive Whistler while I was away.

After giving The Whistler a test drive here is what the Trisate field engineer wrote on the work order, “Road tested vehicle for a whine/whistle nose around 60 MPH. On road test, was able to duplicate noise. Noise also heard while driving at lower speeds. I have heard this whine in other hybrids (08’s) but contacted engineering for further assistance. Was advised noise is normal for the Electronic Continuous Variable Transmission (ECVT) due to transmission being on electric motor/generator. No repairs to be made at this time due to vehicle operating to design intent.”

Service manager’s comments were, “Live with it.”

My comment "BS" - not all '08's make this noise.

Comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
    The Toyota Prius uses the same trans.

Mark.
  • dhuang2dhuang2 Member Posts: 15
    My 2008 FEH does whine when car is accelerating. I can also hear the same whining noise when I test drive the Ford Freestyle with CVT. At constant speed (60 mph) Freestyle has no such noises, but the FEH does have little whistling noises (electronics??). I think this noise is very minor and most of people may not pay attention to it.

If your FEH generated this noise significantly than other FEH. It is suggested to call Ford Customer Service and complain about this issue. Usually, OEM will take customer's complain more seriously than dealers.
  • floyd2222floyd2222 Member Posts: 9
    I have a very difficult time being able to read the dash gauges. At night it's even worse. Hardly any backlight.
    Do others have this problem?
    Floyd
    there is a thumb wheel near the headlight switch.
  • sksuhsksuh Member Posts: 13
    How long does it take for a factory order?

My FEH was ordered on May 16 and now has an ETA of Aug 15 after at least one production delay.

Any other FEH users up here in southern Alberta?

Stephen
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    We signed the paperwork on May 8. It was ordered and it arrived on June 21. We took delivery on June 25. We are located in NW Jersey. Randolph, NJ
  • tuaarac1tuaarac1 Member Posts: 4
    I live in the south, and every time my 08 Hybrid has been sitting in the sun for awhile and has really heated up, the AC does not work. It will not turn on, I literally cannot turn it on as the button does not respond as only the "ECON" button stays lit, and it blows hot air. this goes on for about 8-10 minutes and once the car cools down I can manually turn the AC on. I brought the car to the dealer and they ran all kinds of tests and said the car was fine. He says it is supposed to be like this. I have also had the AC just plain shut off on me as I am driving down the road...this is is manual mode, not in auto mode.

Anyone else have these issues?
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    We only run our 08 with auto climate control in Auto mode and Econ mode. WHen the Gas engine shuts off the cold stops coming, the blower continues to blow. As soon as the gas engine starts it blows cold. We keep the temp on 68. If you want the A/c to blow all the time, take off the econ button.
  • tuaarac1tuaarac1 Member Posts: 4
    I know that is the way it is supposed to work, but it does not work like that for me, at least not for the first 10 minutes if the car has gotten real hot. What happens is that the A/C button will not respond at all...the ECON button stays lit but I press and press and press the AC button and it refuses to turn on. The car just blows hot air for about 10 minutes, then it the AC button responds and everything works fine.
  • fnaticfnatic Member Posts: 7
    Hi people,

this may be the dumbest post of all but I thought i might as well ask. I don't much get the tongue weight etc yet- I was looking into towing more than 1000 lbs. Is it the car itself which in that case i wouldn't risk going over the limit, or simply getting an after market tow which will enable the weight to rise. If this is possible I would love to do it.

Help folks?

Thanks
    Cheers and peace.
    It is the car it self, not the hitch.

Towing really taxes the transmission. That is the most important component when it comes to towing. The eCVT is not rated to tow more than a 1000 and would rather not tow that.

Mark.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    If you are a long-term hybrid owner, our Senior Editor, John O'Dell, would love to hear from you! A short email with your maintenance experiences and concerns would be great. Please send to John at jodell@edmunds.com by close of business Wednesday, August 22, 2007. Be sure and include your Forums username.
  • hybridnewbie1hybridnewbie1 Member Posts: 1
    I just took delivery of our new Escape 4X4 Friday and I have question. Our Escape doesn't have a 4X4 emblem on the back. Is the standard for the hybrids? I really don't see a way to even know it is a 4X4 other than the sticker that came on the car says it is.
    Look between the rear wheels. Is there a large round metal object in the centerline of the truck with a shaft coming out of each side going to the wheels? That is the rear differential that supplies power to the 3rd and 4th wheel when the front two wheels start to slip. :D
    the 5th through 7th digit on the VIN on all AWD Hybrids, 2008 and newer is U59.

Mark.
  • thornerthorner Member Posts: 1
    Good luck. I ordered my Escape Hybrid May 30th and I am still waiting after three months. The dealer and the Ford Motor Company are of no help on finding out when it will be built. I would have thought a week after I ordered it they could give me a build date. Not the case. I am still waiting and would like to get some answers. From everything I have read, I think I will be happy with the vehicle, but I am not happy with Ford or the dealer.
  • celtviperceltviper Member Posts: 12
    I have an '06 4wd Escape Hybrid. Last week I received a letter from Ford Motor Company asking that I contact my local dealer and make an appointment for Program # 07B48 service. This applies to '05-'07 Escape and '06-'07 Mariner Hybrids. Apparently, there has been a problem with a resister in the power unit that causes a DTC red triagle and chime in the message center. The messages directs the driver to "Stop Safely Now" and eventually the vehicle shuts itself down and will not restart.

I have an appointment for tomorrow and the dealer tells my mine will be the first for this service. It's supposed to be a half day service but the service writer told me it will be most of the day since they have never done it before. I hope they read the instructions thoroughly. I'm not thrilled being the dealer's guinnie pig. I'm hoping this isn't a case of "If it's not broke, don't fix it" situation where I don't have a problem but will after the service.

Has anyone had experience with this particular service and, if so, what was the result? I'll post my experience with the service and the resulting performance.

Thanks.

Dan
  • dhuang2dhuang2 Member Posts: 15
    You may send your complaints to Ford Chiefs:
    Mark Fields(mfield27ford.com) or Alan Mulally (amulallyford.com). Usually, Ford works hard to satisfy customers if their dealers didn't. A guy in this forum did send an email and got a response next day.
    I hate to say it, but it sounds like your dealer really dropped the ball.

Also, for the past 4 weeks Ford is not scheduling any further Hybrid orders. They may even be done for the model year.

As a sales rep, I follow my factory orders very closely, (its my money). I took a Hybrid order on 5/31 and it just came in this week. It took the intervention of my factory rep to get it scheduled.

Getting a factory rep to intervene is an option open to every dealer.

Incidently, I drove our stock hybrid to a Green Fest last Saturday and I got 30 mpg combined on mostly highway! Don't ask how my dealeship has a stock hybrid either, it cam in last week. How got it built is a secret.

New EPA test: Appearently under the average number in big print for mpg there is now a range in small print showing what you can get if you don't drive like an idiot. The high numbers for the 4WD FEH are 34 city, 30 hwy. The averages are 29 city, 27 hwy.

Mark
  • rnargrnarg Member Posts: 27
    I am not familiar with the underhood components of a hybrid and haven't been able to locate one to open the hood.

My question is: Does a Hybrid still depend on a conventional battery charged by an alternator etc for STARTING purposes and other purposes. If not, I assume there would be no way to start the gasoline powered engine should the Hybrid batteries die? In other words, I assume if the Hybrid batteries go dead, there isn't a way to "jump start" the gasoline engine to restart the Hybrid charging process of the hybrid batteries through normal driving and braking? (Or am I missing something here?)
    The Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) is always started by one of two motor/generators (MG1) with voltage supplied by the HighVoltage (HV)Battery. The 300+ volts of the HVBattery is used to keep a conventional 12V car battery at charge to run lights/radio/accesories (like on a non-hybrid automobile) when the FEH is parked. There is no conventional automobile alternator on the FEH.

The FEH PCM (computer brain) is very conservative with the HVBattery and never lets it go below 40% charged. In an emergency situation if the HVBattery is somehow drained, there is a procedure to use the 12V battery to "heat-up" the HVBattery and "jump-start" the FEH. (The opposite situation of the premise of your question) Again, 95% of the time the FEH is using the HVBattery to send power othe wheels, runs its electrical accessories, and to re-start the ICE.

From reports of owners over the last 3 years, the HVBattery seems to be one of the most robust components in the FEH. [It is made to Ford design specifications by Sanyo and comes with a 10-year warranty] :D
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I assume if the Hybrid batteries go dead, there isn't a way to "jump start" the gasoline engine to restart the Hybrid charging process of the hybrid batteries through normal driving and braking? (Or am I missing something here?)"

Since the first reply did not answer the question, here is the answer:

Your assumption is correct; if the hybrid battery dies, the vehicle will not run. The hybrid system on the FEH (like the Toyota HSD) will not allow the vehicle to run if the hybrid (called "traction") battery fails.

The Honda IMA system will allow the vehicle to run on ICE only, but the full hybrid system of Toyota, Nissan, and Ford require electrical energy to be provided to the transmission.
    To Mecheng1 and Stevedibi----Thanks for your replies.

Doesn't look like there would be much use in carrying jumper cables as part of an Escape Hybrid's Emergency kit.
    Looks like a bicycle would be a more useful item to carry.

Thanks again

Rnarg
    Allow me to elaborate on my earlier post.

Carrying a bicycle in a Hybrid Escape "incase the Hybrid Battery" dies would be like carrying a bicycle around in a non-hybrid vehicle incase the crankshaft breaks. We are talking about components that are designed to last the life of the vehicle.

The Hybrid's HVBattery is a complex component designed to last 150,000...200,000...or more miles. It shouldn't be compared to 12V automobile batteries that may not hold enough charge to start the car after 24 months of use. :)
  • carysblueskycarysbluesky Member Posts: 36
    The battery is supposed to last 10 years. At least thats what its warrenteed for. Just carry around your Master Card; that gives you lots of options.
    PS Jumper cables for your car battery has nothing to do with the Battery in the back which suppliments your power. :blush:
    I was only joking about carrying a bicycle in place of jumper cables.

Carrying a credit card and/or joining AAA seem to be better ideas.

Thanks

Rnarg
    Your original post is a very good one....it is a question I believe many folks have about Hybrids and batteries. With my post(s) I had hoped to address the last line of that original post ["...am I missing something here?"]

The hybrid batteries are designed to be a reliable and consistent part of these vehicles....one of the many components that do not require a on-board back-up (or 'spare tire')...........it is a good question and one that deserves an answer and some explanation. :D:D
    Real world milage is...30-32 mpg after driving 10k. So, you're right on.
    I'm thrilled with the Z-1 I installed when I bought my 06. Now they have the Z-3, so you might want to look at the new model. I've stored more than 80 CDs in the Z-1'a harddrive; works great and so does the database, which covers the whole US. :blush:
    Dealer's full of crap. The guage moves when the system is being charged by braking or assisted when accelerating.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Doesn't look like there would be much use in carrying jumper cables as part of an Escape Hybrid's Emergency kit. "

Actually, the vehicle needs the 12 volt battery to start, so jumper cable can be used if the 12 volt goes flat.

Basically the 12 volt powers up the electronics so that the main hybrid batteries and system can be engaged.

Personally I don't carry jumper cables in my ICE vehicles any more - I use my AAA card for problems like that!
    Last year, I swapped in a FEH from another dealer. That dealer had the vehicle on their showroom floor. Naturally, due to peeps opening and closing doors, messing with pwr seat, etc. The 12V battery went dead. That dealer jumped the car to get it too me.

When I got the car, I discovered that something was not quite right so I sent it back to the shop and it was found that the dead battery condition caused the hybrid control modual to "self distruct". Naturally it was fixed under warranty before we deliveried the car but the part had to be back ordered.

Mark.
  • villagraciavillagracia Member Posts: 4
    There are 2 separate jump starting procedures in the 2006/2007 FEH Owner's Manual. The first is on page 244, which deals with a discharged 12 Volt battery, which is needed to power the Battery Energy Control (BECM), Power Control (PCM) and Transmission Control (TCM) Modules. All have to be operating to start the FEH because the transmission's motor/generator IS the starter. The BECM and PCM also have to be powered-up in order to energize the battery disconnect relay and the internal combustion engine (ICE) fuel and ignition systems. This, of course, assumes that the 330V high voltage battery has enough charge to run the motor/generator in order to "crank" the ICE.

If the HV battery is discharged :sick: (through weeks of inactivity or by running in 5 mph "limp home" mode, like what happens when you run out of gas :blush: ), you will instead need to use the HV Battery Jump starting procedure on page 248. This allows the user to use the internal HV inverter to charge the HV battery. You have to remove a plastic cover on the left driver's side kick panel :confuse: and press a button. The process takes about 8 minutes and you will hear a high-pitched whine similar to what you hear when a camera's flash unit is charging.
    One more thing: This procedure tends to drain the 12V battery after several attempts, so make sure your car's 12V battery is fully charged before attempting to do this. Hope this helps! :D
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to check out Senior Editor John O'Dell's newest addition to our lineup, the Green Car Advisor for news and commentary on environmental automotive trends and technologies.

Looking forward to all your comments!
  • jefe74jefe74 Member Posts: 1
    Why only tan? get some real options for the hybrid. It's the biggest thing making me reconsider.
  • kedlkedl Member Posts: 1
    I'm strongly considering buying the 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid, but hear that if the A/C or Heater is on that the electric motor will not be used, even when driving less than 25 mph in "D". Is this true? I really hope not.
    The person that told me this said that with the 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid that either you use full electric or full gas, but never a combination of both. Is this true? I really hope not. If someone could point me to some documentation from Ford that says otherwise then that would be great!

Cheers
    Unless Ford has completely overhauled their system, you use both battery and engine anytime you accelerate beyond that of a turtle. (I own an '06). You can always override the engine shutting down by putting the A/C switch in the "Red" (7 o'clock position); you can't get either A/C or heat if the engine is not running. The design of the hybrid is so the engine shuts down when decelerating below 30 mph. or stopped; this is how you save gas at a stop; and, the reason your milage is better in the city than on the open road.
    :blush:
  • jdw334jdw334 Member Posts: 5
    Who ever gave you that information was incorrect. The system is designed to use a combination of engine/motor for optimal fuel efficiancy. If you get an 2008 with navigation you will be able to see that on the screen, or with out you will see the needle move in the assist/charge. You will still have heat even when the gas engine is off (I live in New England trust me you still have heat or it would be miserable). You will not get A/C unless you have the control in the orange areas of the dial. With the Ford system the A/C only works when the engine is running. Toyota's newer system (2004 forward) can run the A/C with the engine off, they installed an electric A/C instead of a belt designed one. Read a online test of the vehicle ie. Edmunds for an acurate depiction of how the system works. Go test drive one and you will also see that the person giving you the information was not correct.
    As you may be aware, you can still get the benefit of the electric mode with the A/C switch ON as long as you also have the "Econ" switch also on. (2008) The A/C will not be working once the electric motor engages, but since the electric motor doesn't stay on very long anyway (unless stopped in traffic), the A/C will come back on as soon as the gasoline powered engine cuts in. (That is,assuming the temp you have set is calling for it to come on)

Also, I have noticed that once your gasoline powered engine has heated to its operating temperature and you are traveling on a flat or any degree of downgrade, (one where you need hardly touch the accelerator), if your gasoline engine is still engaged, simply tap or apply the brake slightly, and the vehicle will switch to the electric mode and stay there until the nature of the roadway changes to where more than electric power is needed. (This is the way my 2008 is working, but whether it's normal to let you have this little bit of control, I don't know)
  • johndix60johndix60 Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone know who makes the Escape/Mariner Hybrid Nav System in the 2008 vehicles? Not Nav Tec, they only provide the data base.

Thanks,
    John