Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fixing Alloys

sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
edited March 2014 in Honda
A friend of mine who recently rolled a Prelude SH (months ago!) should have it out of the shop this week. We stopped by to see it. As an aside, Autometric of Royal Oak, MI, does a rather amazing job. His Prelude SH was probably the least expensive car there, as the place was filled with highline vehicles like 911 Turbos and SLKs and M roadsters being taken apart and reassembled.

ANYWAY the question - the car was in a rollover and two of the stock alloys were slightly damaged. A third had a scratch that he says he thinks happened at the same time; the shop is replacing that too. They're giving him the "damaged" ones. Of these, one has a tiny scratch (it's fine) and two from the side on which the car rolled have bent lips although the shape seems to have remained the same. There might be other damage (we won't see them for a few days) but it seemed to be relatively minor.

He asked for them back thinking that he might be able to get them fixed, buy a 4th, and have a good set of winter tire/rims out of the deal.

Questions would be,
- has anyone had alloy rims fixed/refinished before?
- where?
- results?
- is it worth trying or should he just junk the bent rims?

Comments

• zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    with normal tools in our garages. If you try to bend a wheel back into shape, it will most likely break.

The saving grace is that in the back of Car and Driver and Road and Track magazines, as well as several enthusiast magazines, several companies offer aluminum wheel repair and refinishing services.

The offset is that to repair the average dinged-up wheel is $100-150 per wheel. With that in mind, you an easily replace the wheels with nice aftermarket wheels for under $400 per set. Consider replacing the wheels with aftermarket and using the new Honda wheels for snow tires, or check with salvage yards for OEM replacement.
  • jjstokes0430jjstokes0430 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 1992 Pontiac Sunbird with factory aluminum wheels. The wheels are in good shape except that the clear coat is peeling off. Does anyone know of an inexpensive way to recoat the wheels. Thanks. John Stokes
    sandblasted or bead blasted, then re-clearcoated. You may find that after they're stripped, you may want to leave them natural - aluminum is very weatherproof and the wheels require a great deal of preparation before shooting with clear.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Texas was OK, but we lost my cousin to cancer, my Mom was hospitalized, etc while I was there.

I did drown my sorrows excessively (with help from my friend Brian, a MSgt at Randolph, and my brother-in-law) through the use of six cases of Coors Light.

Did brisket, Weimar sausage and jerky, and of course, Sonic Drive-In and Fuddruckers.
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    Sorry to hear about your cousin. You've had it rough recently, IIRC.

TB
    Now hungry for brisket.
    It's good, but Sonic is my favorite - I worked there as a 9th-10th grader. Chicken Fried Steak sandwich, tator tots with cheese and a root beer frostie. Or a double Sonic burger, cheese fries and a Route 44 vanilla diet coke. It really doesn't matter what you eat when you're drinking a diet coke! No calories!!
This discussion has been closed.