Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Handling Characteristics

sdf250sdf250 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Ford
I am curious if any has encountered the following condition.
2001 f250 SD 4x4 v10: Tire Pressure 80lbs
When going into a corner, L or R, the truck appears to have an exceptional amount of sway. Actually feels to lurch over to the side. One would think this vehicle would be rock solid though turns.

Comments

• mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    How long have you had this truck? Your truck sits high off the ground and therefore has a high center of gravity. Do you have front AND rear sway bars?
  • jcave1jcave1 Member Posts: 137
    How many miles are on those shocks? Could be they are worn out.

jerry
  • sdf250sdf250 Member Posts: 5
    Understand high center of gravity.
    The vehicle has 12500 miles on it.
    I have owned it for 3 weeks and driven it ~1000 miles.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    80psi? Is there a load in the bed?

Whats the max psi on the tires?

Id suggest dropping the psi
    With 12,500 the stock shocks should have a few miles left in them. I'd agree with Ryan, 80 psi is a bit much. Most tend to run 50 - 60 depending on load.

jerry
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    If you have a standard F-250 SD the suspension is kind of soft for a truck of that size if you either buy the truck with a load handling package or put the sway bars on yourself it will make the truck handle a little better. Also with the load handling package they stiffen up the rear springs which will help.
    Sway bars and adjustable shocks, set firm, should fix your problem. I agree with Ryan and Jerry, drop the psi to 50 or 60. My truck will scrub the sidewalls off in a turn with no body roll. Of course I also have a dually with the camper certification.
    Thanks for info, sorry, PSI it is actually 60lbs. Truck has front sway bar but no rear. Never thought to look before I bought, because it has towing package and my old truck came stock with front and rear sway bars. I have no problem installing the sway bar, but I think adding leaf springs is beyond my capability.
    Anyone have any luck getting Ford to fix this issue?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    " I think adding leaf springs is beyond my capability"

I have never done this but it doesnt look to hard.
  • akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    Let's visit this term. Are we talking about list like a boat or top heavy camper arrangement, or like a feeling of almost fishtail?

Is the bed empty, or is there a collection of light or heavy stuff? Aluminum shell or tall windowed fiberglass shell? Camper?

Existing tires must be LTs by the pressure. Are they highway, OffRoad, or in between? I would expect a difference in feel between the extremes of the range.

It's the details that set the stage and help us all understand our what to expect from our trucks better.
    "Is the bed empty, or is there a collection of light or heavy stuff? Aluminum shell or tall windowed fiberglass shell? Camper?"

Bed is empty.

"Existing tires must be LTs by the pressure. Are they highway, OffRoad, or in between? I would expect a difference in feel between the extremes of the range.

OEM Firestone M&S tires from factory.
    Since the question of the meaning of "sway" has come up; I've made the assumption that you mean body roll in a turn.
    Body roll is also my assumption. Actually mine will roll a bit if I take cornes too easy. Adding a little power flattens that corner right out. Watched a dually f-350 one night. Couldn't believe how that truck powered through a corner, he was flat haulin.

jerry
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Thought I'd chime in too. F350, 4x4, CC, LWB, V10. I have camper package with rear sway bars. Stock Firestone AT tires, ~17K miles. I notice a bit of body lean if I mometarily forget that I'm driving a truck and go into a turn a little too hot with an empty bed. (I've had cars that leaned worse.) Feel it's pretty reasonable considering truck is >22 feet long. I think truck actually leans less when loaded; back of truck is sitting down further using the helper leaves of springs, so there's more resistance to lean. (Of course, if I've got a load I also tend to drive a bit more conservatively.)
    I've put 80 psi in rear when I've carried 3500 lbs+, then forgotten to let it out later and drove around empty. Did this one day and hit wash-board surface on a curve and rear end felt like it was gonna kick out as rock-hard tires bounced more than shocks could compensate. Couple of white-knuckled seconds there as ABS got confused by the bouncing and uneven surface. Almost learned a hard lesson on that one.
    Mine corners like it's on rails. And I have the rounded edges on the front tires to prove it :p
    lariat1/mullins87,
    thanks for the advice. Installed an anti-sway kit from Hellwig last evening and the difference is night and day. Drove to to work today and didn't feel like I was going to lose it in the corners. May stiffen up the rear later on, but quite satisfied now, handles like a truck should.
This discussion has been closed.