Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

17" tire problems

ph0493ph0493 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Volvo
Hello. Was told this message was better suited for repair and maintenace board, so here I am.

have a 00 C70 convertible that came with 17" Pirelli 225 45 17 Y tires. They have been nothing but problems. I had to have all 4 replaced at about 15K because of tears and bubbles. They were deemed a mfg. defect, and after much hold time,arguing, etc. got most of the money for new ones. Now, another 5K into it, 2 of the new ones have huge bubbles! I know they're high performance tires and don't handle bumps and stuff well, but this is ridiculous. All I basically do is drive 12 highway or backroad miles back and forth to work. I don't drive the car hard or anything. If these tires can't handle regular road bumps, what good are they? Anybody else with this problem? I've heard Volvo knows it's a problem so they try to stay out of it and make you deal directly with Pirelli because they hear so many complaints. HELP!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

• zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    they aren't the same quality as those main line tires available through tire stores and on-line places like the Tire Rack. They are made specifically for a vehicle fitment and are not designed to be a tire that is advertised and marketed, so the quality, longevity or overall durability are not issues.

They are also not tires that are "insured" under road hazard plans or pro-rated in any way.

Signed,
    a long time in the retail tire business.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    ph0493-

Besides replacing the OEM tires, if you live in an area that gets cold and snowy in winter, you might want to pick up a set of snow tires on 16" steel rims for winter use. You can order these from your dealership and they will come with genuine Volvo wheels and wheel covers, rather that the questionable generic stuff that comes from some aftermarket dealers. Of course the tires will help you drive in the snow, but you can also benefit from the smaller steel rims...a New York Size winter pothole can easily take two of your stock 17" alloy rims permanently out of commission. Volvo alloy wheels are infamous for being easily damaged, and you don't even want to know what the replacement cost is. Steel wheels on smaller diameter snows are less likely to get damaged when the roads get torn up in the winter.

-Andrew L
  • ph0493ph0493 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the advice. So, are you saying that if I get 17" separate from the ones that came standard with the car, I may have better luck? And as far as the 16", am I better off just using those year round and forgetting the 17"?
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    ph0493-

You could always permanently downsize to 16" wheels. This might impede handling just a bit, and won't look as cool, but will likely be less of a hassle in the long run. I just mentioned the snows because I see a lot of Volvos with snow tires on steel wheels in the winter...I guess owners know that the oversize alloy wheels are not cut out for dealing with winter salt and potholes.

-Andrew L

• bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    Snow driving needs notwithstanding, if the Volvo dealer is making you deal with a Pirelli dealer, and you can get replacement tires under warranty, why not try to get Pirelli to offer a monetary credit towards the purchase of another brand - or - try another Pirelli model tire? It sounds like they keep installing the same model and size of tire. If Pirelli is having problems with one tire model chances are good they're not having that problem with another model.

16" tires mean you'll need 16" wheels. What will you do with the 17" ones?
  • idletaskidletask Member Posts: 171
    just ask the dealership what the homologated tires are for this car and select your pick.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    Must disagree with your comment about OEM's "They are also not tires that are "insured" under road hazard plans or pro-rated in any way." I visited my local Discount Tire store after buying my C70 which came with 225 R45 17 inch Pirelli P6000 summer tires and bought their certificates. Cost was $150. Also bought their certificates for the wife's Lexus which came with Michelins. In addition to the waranty, free rotations and balancing are included.
    Road Hazard warranty, then sure, your covered by Discount. I used to sell RHW on new tires when I worked for Super Shops.

The manufacturer of the vehicle and the tire manufacturer DO NOT offer or sell or guarantee your new vehicle's tires against any form of road hazard.

There is no disagreeing to be done - you're talking about something completely different than I was.
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    Are you saying that you purchased road hazard, rotation and rebalancing service and warranty for the original equipment tires on your car? And you bought that package from Discount Tire at a cost of $37.50 per tire? I have two cars with OEM tires, so this is interesting... but the price seems high.
    My 2002 Mercury Mountaineer Premier has 17 inch BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A tires. They have caused me no grief whatsoever. I'll be needing to rotate them, and don't necessarily look forward to it with gusto! (:o]
    but I sold the road hazard, lifetime rotation and balancing for $9.95 a tire. Recently.
    Your price on the road service package is what I have been paying when buying tires from my favorite source (Military Base facilities). My surprise here is the concept of anyone selling such warranty on tires they did not sell; but at $37.50 per tire, I guess they consider the risk worth it.
    was if you sold 30-40 $40 tire packages and you have to replace 2 or 3 tires, you're still way ahead.
    I have had several opportunities to rejoice over having bought the road hazard, plus the privilege of watching someone else rotate and rebalance for me! (:o]
    but it is nice to have the rotation and balancing done while they're changing the oil. I live in an apartment with no garage, carport, etc and I installed every bit of my racing suspension under the car on jack stands. 3 days worth of work - I'm happy to let someone else rotate my tires.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    Yes, the Discount Tire certificates were bought for the OEM tires on the car when I bought it. I'm sure there's a mileage limit you can have on the car, but I don't know what it is. Obviously, I wouldn't think they would sell the certificates for tires with a lot of miles on it or bought from another tire store, but there was no problem at all with the new car with new tires. For me, $37.50 to cover a $250 tire for any nonrepairable damage, plus "free" rotation and balancing for the life of the tire was a no-brainer. When cracks developed around 19k, a new set was installed with absolutely no hassle or cost.
    I have found much the same thing. Whenever I buy a set of replacement tires, I go for the road warranty, balance, and rotation package. Up to this point, I would say I have come out ahead as a result on even the road warranty part, just as you already have. Around these parts, rotation and rebalancing is about $20.00 for each time, unless you have the "package." Therefore, it is a good deal, anyway you look at it. I suspect your high cost per tire must have been based on two factors: You didn't buy that first set from Discount Tire, and the tires were exceptionally expensive to begin with.
  • oskar1oskar1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody have any experience with the base 2002 v70 2.4 with 17" on it. Wondering if they would fit the car. I know they would look nice...
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.