Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda6 Owners Meet the Members

Comments

• Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Say, what arguments did you use to swing the RX-8? If I fit into the thing, I may have to use some of them on my wife. :)
  • Options
    seretseseretse Member Posts: 6
    Thanks mazdafun. I'll keep tabs on what stretch comes up with. As for convincing my wife, here's how I did it.

Months (literally) of dropping hints/suggestions, signing up with Mazda USA as an insider and getting constant updates/cd brochures, video files etc and recently comparing cost with that of other potential buys. Added all up, she's now almost as big a fan of the RX-8 as I am. She likes the 4-door sports car concept too! However, the real kicker is that my 1995 626 was recently totalled (I was rear-ended), so there is a real need for another car. Also, it was love at first sight with her and the Mazda 6, so she understands where I'm coming from :-)
  • Options
    My better half views them more as appliances, although she thinks the Beetle looks cute with the daisy wheels (though she'd never get one...reliability and practicality do impact on her judgement of cars).

I think I'll have to help get a larger house first. That's her thing.

Sorry 'bout your 626. Hope you're OK.

That 6 sure is nice-looking. I think it looks better from a slight distance. You can appreciate the overall car better, and it still looks good close-up as well.
  • Options
    stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    update coming. In short, adding an amplifier and speakers was fairly simple and a total success. It's a far cheaper and better alternative to the Bose stereo.
  • Options
    skyrayskyray Member Posts: 156
    Cool, Stretch. Can't wait to hear the scoop. Obviously I'm following the stereo topics over on Mazda6Club.com as well.

I brought some music CDs with me today and I have to say the stock stereo is... unsatisfactory. I like the controls, etc. just fine. But the audio quality bites.

Hopefully Mazda will ship the MP3 player soon (supposed to be the second half of March). Once I have that in, I can look to enhancing it with an amp and decent speakers.
  • Options
    Who's crossed the thousand mile mark? Two-thousand?

To those who have "aged" 6's already: how's your engine after break-in? Clutch? Brakes?
  • Options
    Redfire 6i MT, ULEV package only.

Clutch is so easy and smooth now. It wasn't the easiest thing in the world when I started driving it- it's become far more natural, and I don't think this is entirely from my "getting used to it".

The brakes, too, have been pure joy. They no longer feel grabby or sensitive- but purely an extention of my intentions. There's no playing around here- push and stop. Love it, love it, love it. I hate driving other cars now, though- everything else feels outright broken in comparison, like there's air in the brakelines.

The engine has changed for the better and the worse. The engine is quite torquey down low now- it's a joy in traffic. Problem is, it isn't as fun as it was. It's hard to say exactly what changed since the change was gradual rather than overnight. The engine pulls clear to the limiter, but it doesn't pull much harder at 6k than 4k. That is, it pulls harder down low than it used to, so while the car is probably actually faster, it's not as fun. It feels much more like a CamCord engine now, but that doesn't encourage revving!

I'd really, really like to hear other owners' experiences on this.

While I averaged 34mpg on my first two tanks of gas while conservatively breaking in the engine, I've been getting in the high twenties since. It doesn't seem to matter if it's in the city or highway. It's been consistently wet, snowy, and below freezing since I bought the car- all of which probably reduced my mileage slightly.
  • Options
    seretseseretse Member Posts: 6
    Steel grey 6s, AT, no sport package.

In auto the gears are a little short for my personal taste, but I've become accustomed to it now. Initially there was a slight delay when shifting manually, but it's much better now. Engine has lots of oomph (scientific term) in every gear, and pulls ALL the way to the rev limiter. Can't wait to let loose, as I can just "feel" all the fun thats waiting to be had.

Brakes are excellent, very linear. Handling is very good. Mazda certainly wasn't lying about zoom-zoom!

Mileage in the mid twenties, but that might be due to the recent snow/ice/cold here in NYC as well as my wife's driving :-)

Nice fit and finish to the car - no stray noises. So far the only things not up to par are the average standard stereo, and the lack of the integrated fogs (they're already wired I believe, so why not have them as an option?)
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Runs like a top. I'll have to get more detailed sometime. One thing to note: My mileage sucks, but I can attribute that to the fact that the 4cyl loves to rev and I just can't stay off the throttle. I'm averaging 25 MPG on Cali gas which is not known for meeting EPA ratings.
  • Options
    mazda6sammazda6sam Member Posts: 20
    I just bought a Silver 6i this past Tuesday and it is without a doubt the best car I've ever driven that's under $40k. I test drove four or five models with all transmission choices and engines. I decided on the 6i because the 160hp is very fun to play with and the gas mileage is just right: 420 miles to a tank. I passed a guy the other day in an A4 and he was gawking and followed me for a while to get a better look at my 6. It's so fun to drive and I love the styling. The only thing I'll probably change is the wheels, I got the standard steel wheels because I can get some Konigs for around $500. The radio and interior are awesome. My whole family loves my new toy!

Sam
  • Options
    mike1770mike1770 Member Posts: 20
    Steel Grey 6s, MT, no sport.

I did my first oil change this past weekend. The dealer's service department was pretty packed, and I didn't want to wait, so I purchased oil and a filter from parts and went home to do it myself. On the V6, anyway, access is TIGHT. The oil filter is on the side of the engine towards the front of the car, and there's just enough room between the front crossmember and exhaust pipe to slide the filter out. I would definitely recommend a socket-type filter wrench for anyone who's going to do this themselves on a regular basis. I haven't decided if I'll keep doing it myself or not. And, yes, I filled it with the recommended 5w-20, in spite of the raging debate in the maintenance forum. ;-)

So far, the only problem I've had with the car is that the passenger-side seat heater didn't work, but the dealer already fixed that. The car is fast, smooth, handles better than my old Prelude, and is tough to keep under the speed limit. Interestingly, the engine is so peaky that I have fun doing this: On rain-slick streets, with no traffic, I shift out of 1st early and give the car full throttle. When the engine hits around 4K rpm in 2nd gear, I can feel the front wheels trying to break loose from the sudden increase in power, and sometimes the TCS light comes on. It feels more like a turbocharged 4-cylinder than a V6. Anyway, it's a very enjoyable ride. My gas mileage is staying at around 20 mpg, but I do drive it somewhat aggressively, so that's not too bad, considering. The car is still tight and quiet, and everyone says nice things about the looks of the car and the smoothness of the ride.

I purchased the car December 18, and hadn't seen a single other 6 on the road until yesterday, and I live in Houston! This one was a Steel Grey/sport/auto, and was parked in the garage next to the Binz building downtown. Did it belong to anyone on the boards here? It needed a wash -- it was pretty dirty. :-P
  • Options
    alcjewalcjew Member Posts: 173
    Stretch, I have around 1500 mi (90% highway) om my 6s MT and it feels more zoomier than when I picked it up at 5 mi. I've been averaging about 22 mpg from 20 mpg before breakin.
    Mike1770, I normally change my own oil & filter myself also, but I have several questions if you don't mind. Did you go from the top to remove your filter? The reason I ask this is because I haven't check to see where the oil filter is located. What tool did you use to remove the oil filter, just a band oil wrench? Did you also replace the oil drain plug washer, if there was one? How much was the filter? Did you record your purchase (oil & filter) to ensure that you don't void the car's warranty? Thanks!
  • Options
    mike1770mike1770 Member Posts: 20
    The oil filter looks impossible to change from the top -- I don't see any way to reach it except from under the car. The only tool I had was a band-type wrench, but it was VERY tedious using it -- I was unscrewing about 1/32 turn at at time. Then, when I had gotten the filter loose enough to turn by hand, I tried to fish the wrench out, and got it stuck in there for a minute. I would definitely spend the few bucks for a socket type filter, if you're going to be doing it yourself. Take a look for yourself sometime -- just slide under the front of your car, and look just above the front crossmember; you'll see the filter there.

I purchased my oil and filter from a Mazda dealer, so there wouldn't be any warranty questions. The filter was $5.20, and the Mazda-branded oil sold for about $4 a quart (you'll need 5.5 quarts with a filter change.) I know it's a ridiculous price for dino oil (doesn't say anything about synthetic on the label) but I was in a hurry and didn't want to hassle with it. I got a receipt for the oil and filter from the dealer, and wrote the mileage and date in a small notebook I keep in the car. I'm not sure I'm going to keep doing it myself, yet.

Interestingly, the drain plug seems to have a black nylon "washer" molded just under the head of the bolt. It took very little torque to remove it, and I was careful not to overtorque it when I put it back in. It would probably be a good idea to find out exactly how much torque is specified by Mazda. It looks like overtightening would ruin that nylon washer.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
  • Options
    mazda6sammazda6sam Member Posts: 20
    I think it's a good thing for me that I haven't seen any 6's on the road except for mine but it could be a bad thing for Mazda. Anyway, these cars are getting such good press I can't imagine why these won't be everywhere within a year.
  • Options
    auto_clownauto_clown Member Posts: 10
    Proud new owner of a 6i, purchased on 2/28. Steel grey, w/ AT, sport package, premium package, comfort package, leather, moonroof, ABS/SAC, & bose package. Three days after purchasing the vehicle, I went on vacation for a week. So I have only put 125 miles on it. I have been wanting to drive it more, but because of several snowfalls, I haven’t wanted to subject it to the road salt that is so heavily used here in Wisconsin. How frustrating! So far though, driving it has been a pleasure. I have noticed a few long stares while out cruising, and have gotten several very favorable comments about how the vehicle looks. I can’t wait until the weather gets nicer and I have the vehicle broken in, so I can really cut loose with it!
  • Options
    vegoenvegoen Member Posts: 82
    Hey proud M6 owners, I have a techincal question. Obviously the overpriced Bose system is a pain to realize when you get the sports package. So if I decide not to get the Bose package how would I be able to install a head deck into the normal deck? Because its all connected and I dont know how to take it off and I want an amp and sub plus speakers to go with the head deck, so how does this installation work?
  • Options
    Go the M6 accessory & mod board on here. Stetchsje has outlined his system set-up with results.
  • Options
    The short of it is to keep the stock head unit and use a line-out converter. At least one manufacturer is working on a replacement faceplate, but it probably won't come cheap.
  • Options
    I meant stretchsje...
  • Options
    clemulusclemulus Member Posts: 27
    Anyone have a picture of their Steel Grey 6? I am awaiting factory delivery and would love to see a picture as I only ordered it based on viewing it on the Mazda site and brochure. Thanks.
  • Options
    A few shots of my steel gray here:

http://users.adelphia.net/%7Edennya/Mazda6/index.htm
  • Options
    clemulusclemulus Member Posts: 27
    Thanks! It looks great. Congratulations. Dealer finally called today to say the car just arrived. After 10 weeks of waiting, the time is now.
  • Options
    Awesome, Clemulus! Post some pics over on Mazda6Club.com after you get the new toy home!

Congrats on your excellent taste in colors.
  • Options
    mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    Yous does NOT have the Sport Package, correct? Just the Lip Spoiler?
  • Options
    You are correct!
  • Options
    OK GUYS WHICH CAR IS BEST TO GET FOR VALUE/PERFORMANCE??? MAZDA6s, 2003 HONDA ACCORD EX V6, OR 2003 IMPREZA WRX ????????? THESE ARE IN THE TOP 10 LIST OF BEST CARS IN 2003
  • Options
    Mazda6: I liked it enough to buy it. :)

Honda Accord EX: The new Accord is just flat out ugly! Didn't really consider it after driving it. Apparently lots of reliability gripes in the Accord boards here, but I haven't read them myself.

Impreza WRX: I'll take the Mazda 6's V6 over the WRX's Turbo any day. No power till the turbo kicks in. Far less room inside than the other two.
  • Options
    bob08857bob08857 Member Posts: 10
    I just bought a 6s with manual and all the bells & whistles. This will be replacing a 2000 Integra GSr which is coming off lease in two months. After 150 miles, all I can say is "I love it!" This is my first six cyl. engine, and it's so smooth, I have to keep a very close eye on the Tach to stay below redline, and the speedo to keep it legal. I was pulling away from a stoplight, & before I knew it, I was doing 50, IN SECOND. Effortless speed. My only complaint is the incredible short sightedness of the Ford execs that decided to produce only 6% of the production run with the stick...stupid move!!! I'm in the very traffic unfriendly northeast...anybody else have a problem tracking down a stick?
  • Options
    ...Ford execs that decided to produce only 6% of the production run with the stick

Mazda has their own planners.
  • Options
    anybody else have a problem tracking down a stick?

I wouldn't say I had trouble, but I certainly had to do some looking. In the end, my car came from Philly, about 150 miles away from Washington DC where I live.
  • Options
    IF im going to invest a lot of money on this car i want it to be safe, how do i go about doing this? cause i got a lot of rim stealers and theft break ins in my town, anyone knnow?
  • Options
    If you can, garage it.

If you can't, you can try alarms (with stickers proclaiming its presence...and flashing LEDs to show it's active), keeping portable items and cash out of sight (a little loose change is enough to tempt some), wheel locks etc. A "Club" may discourage theft of the driver-side airbag module. Not much you can do to protect the passenger-side module.

You can also try a car cover with a locking cable. They may not want to waste the extra seconds to remove or get under the cover. Then again, they may steal the cover, but it's a bulky item that is relatively custom-fit.

None of these will stop a determined thief. Probably the best is to use wheel locks (or a cheap set of wheel covers), an alarm, keeping items out of sight and always making sure the doors are locked (unlocked doors and windows are the #1 items burglars look for...having grown up in NYC, I'm used to locking everything, but many people here don't do that, yet).
  • Options
    Yea thats what Ill do then. How do wheel locks work? And whats the pricing of alarm systems?
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me the advantages of having a 6 cylinder with contious valve timing? or would it be better with 4? So overall the adavantages of CVT
  • Options
    They go on like regular wheel nuts, but have a different outside shape, so you need the keyed socket to turn them. They should cost $40 or less for a set of nuts and a socket.

The 6 is already wired for an alarm system (thus, the "panic" button on your remote, which will set off the lights flashing and the horn honking). It just needs the sensors and central control box which trips off the lights and horn. You can get the price of this option off mazdausa.com. Aftermarket systems start mid-$100 and go up to several hundred, depending on the features you get.
  • Options
    bob08857: There were plenty of sticks when I checked the Mazda on-line NE dealers inventory several months ago, but they were mostly 6i's with assorted packages. I almost gave up looking for a 6s MT w/sport pkg until I luckly checked one time and found one that had just arrived a day earlier at the dealers showroom 85 miles away. It was a loaded black beauty (1st choice was steel gray) 6s MT and bought it on the spot. Pics are posted at this site: http://www.msnusers.com/Mazda6group/shoebox.msnw?Page=Last
  • Options
    gadawg21gadawg21 Member Posts: 10
    This is one of my first entries, so forgive me for the long-windedness...I have a lot to say about this car.

I just bought a loaded (sport/comfort/Bose packages, moonroof, leather, side airbags/curtains [wheel locks & mats thrown in later]) black on black MT 6s. I wanted the glacier silver, but the market wasn't cooperating. This car was driven by the sales manager and came with a deal I couldn't refuse...$500 below invoice on a car with only 3,600 miles. I would prefer zero miles, but those 3,600 miles aren't worth the $2,615 I ended up saving off the MSRP. Not that it matters much, and for purely academic thrills, what kind of deal do y'all think I got? Regardless, it is a seller's market out there when it comes to the MT 6s. I don't have the luxury of shopping forever or waiting for the market to calm down because I'm coming back to the states after being stationed in Turkey for the past 2 years...had to have a car ASAP.

Now, to the Mazda 6s compared to the Accord and the gang. First, I didn't even consider putting this car up against the obvious opponents (Accord, Altima, Camry) because they are not in the same league. The Camry and Accord are innocuous and soul-less cars...not for enthusiasts. Second, even while some stats show the Accord with a slight edge it is a lifeless car. My BMW wasn't the fastest car out there, but the way it did its thing...primarliy handling and overall feel...is what made the difference. The Mazda comes with many more options than the Accord; I do understand some complaints about how folks are unable to pick and choose specific options...Mazda is addressing this one. If you use Edmunds' comparison of 6s competitors, you'll notice that the Honda doesn't even offer numerous options or standard features that the 6s does. The Accord is a great car, but passionless and cookie-cutter. The Altima is decent looking, powerful, but with too much torque steer and the cheapest, ugliest interior in the group. The Camry may be built solid and reliable as hell, but come on, that's one UGLY car with zero personality and the most boring interior of the lot. The 6s is a driver's car, so I put it against the other like vehicles.

As I stated, I'm actually a BMW guy, owning one right before moving overseas, but after putting the BMW 330Ci and the Lexus IS300 MT against the Mazda 6s MT my world changed. The BMW, as well as the other wonderful but expensive German sports sedans, is no longer recommended by Consumer Reports, primarily because of the drop off in reliability..this led me to look elsewhere before I threw down some serious dollars ($43K on the BMW coupe that I would have bought).

The 6s compares as follows to the BMW and Lexus: the materials in the 6s are on par with both, different, but on par. The stereo was second only to the Lexus. The transmission was second only to the BMW. The roominess blew both of the other two out of the water. The handling was VERY respectable, particularly being a FWD, and I preferred it over the Lexus...Man did I wear those cars out. It is better looking than the Lexus and will be more reliable than the BMW. The cockpit is superb and comparable to the BMW (the 6s has an obviously German-Japanese hybrid interior) and much more appealing than the absurd chronograph, boy racer looking Lexus. And finally, the ultimate selling point...as a married man and a father of two I just could not justify spending $18K more for the BMW and $10-12K more for the Lexus when the Mazda 6s held it's own with both of these cars.

While I love the car, there are a few nit-picky areas I would like to see Mazda change if they were possible: one-touch up/down function for windows (at least the driver's), one-touch function for moonroof, folding mirrors, full size spare (may not fit though), 18" wheels like the ones on the world's Atenza and power passenger seating. They're all minor, but they would put it in a league with the bigs boys of performers, and will remain MUCH cheaper.

On another note...does anyone know how I can get my hands on teh Atenza (world's Mazda 6) taillights? The clear ones?
  • Options
    On another note...does anyone know how I can get my hands on teh Atenza (world's Mazda 6) taillights? The clear ones?

Currently on back order from Mazda, but when available (Part Number 0000-8Z-H15) they will be about $300 for the set of 4 lamps.
  • Options
    Thanks maltb. I looked all over the web for the tail lights, but couldn't find anything. So, they will be sold through the dealerships...great news! I assume they are simple enough for us to install our own....at least I hope so.
  • Options
    gadawg21: Try: http://www.finishlineperformance.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=actio- n&key=MAZ6-8ZH15
    Cost about $220. Going to order mines next week (payday and after mortgage payment) should be easy to put on according to others read (can't mention where per our host) that have already switched theirs.
  • Options
    aljew: Went to the site and found "exactly" what I was looking for...thanks. Have you seen the taillight lenses in person? They don't appear to bulge out like the red ones do, can you confirm? How do they look if you've seen them?

Either way, thanks for the site hook up.
  • Options
    gadawg21: I don't know if these have the bulge. You can contact them and hopefully they can let you know how they are, bulge (like the original) or no bulge. I think on a one of the other boards someone had installed the clear lens and it did not have the bulge, but not sure if it was the same part/mfg as Finishline Performance. Let us know what they say if you contact them.
  • Options
    I think the clear lense taillights on my black 6s will look beyond sweet regardless if they protrude or not like the red ones...I just think the US version's shape is unique. However, the clear lights will match much better with the clear headlight assembly on the darker, colored cars. Thanks again...I'm probably gonna buy them anyway.
  • Options
    gadawg21: Cool, I have a black 6s too so post pics when you get it and installed. I'm going to delay getting mines for awhile. Promised my son that I'll get (graduation present) him a used car, because he's going to college (33 miles) this Fall.
  • Options
    gadawg21: Check this other source (last item in the Accessories & a little cheaper) for the RCL, now I'm really tempted to get one! Japanese (Atenza) & Euro spec'd lens.
    http://www.mazdaformance.com/mazda6.htm
  • Options
    I'll check the site out and definitely post the car when I get it set up. Thanks again.
  • Options
    jeffb1jeffb1 Member Posts: 42
    I am the proud owner of a 6S (sport/comfort/Bose packages, moonroof, leather, side airbags/curtains/all-season floor mats) black/ black auto-tranny 6s. Purchased 1 month ago; has 1100 miles on it now. This car is fun to drive -- period. MPG has went up 1 mpg each tank, from 21 mpg to 23 on my last fill-up. Am amazed by the amount of front brake dust, but hey, if that's the worst complaint I can come up with, I'd say I'm off to a pretty good start with this vehicle.

Jeff
  • Options
    bob08857bob08857 Member Posts: 10
    Jeff, I noticed the same thing, I've had to powerwash the front wheels pretty much every week. I mentioned this to a Service Rep., and he said that the 6 is using a softer brake pad. I've averaged 40,000 to 50,000 miles between brake jobs in the past, I wonder what will happen with this car? Not that I care, this car is a BLAST!
  • Options
    mjvchicagomjvchicago Member Posts: 149
    That's an onyx black 6s with manual tranny, sport package, moonroof, airbags, comfort package, homelink, Bose, leather, alarm upgrade, the works. Check my post in the main Mazda6 forum for the experience I had buying the car. But I love it! Well on my way to my first 1000 miles. Just can't get the smile off my face driving it with the windows down, moonroof open and music jammin'!
  • Options
    ustabooustaboo Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 6i (didn't get the s because I drive 110 miles a day commuting and I needed the better gas mileage) in early February from Cush Mazda. I have over 7,000 miles. (Steel Grey, moonroof, comfort, Bose, M/T, etc...) This is my 3rd Mazda, I traded in my '98 626 (with a bad transmission) for the 6. I LOVE this car. I am frequently giggling like a little school girl when driving. It's such a hoot! Because of previous experiences with Mazda transmissions I'm a bit concerned about this M/T transmission, which is why I bought the super-extended 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. Otherwise, I have no complaints or worries at all. This car drives better than my old Mercedes and is zippier than my husband's old CRX. It sure makes the long commute to work more bareable.
This discussion has been closed.