Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Newer Chevy trucks vs old

tk865tk865 Member Posts: 52
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
My dad has an old 90 Scotsdale, 4x4, 5spd with 225,000 on the clock. It's started losing oil pressure, and my honest thought is that he'll replace the engine, b/c the truck looks great. He's tasked me with helping find a new truck, and won't look at the Tundra because it's "farn". So.... I'm not sure he CAN get what he wants:
1. Chevy
2. 5 speed
3. V8 (he says there's a new "327" engine?)
4. Extended cab
5. No floor mats (does a rubber floor sound right?)

Does Chevy make a truck like this? All the V8's I saw had auto trannys..... Dodge makes a V8 manual, but you have to have reg. cab or Double cab, no in between. He just wants the extra room for hunting gear, not people. And I'm not sure he'd take a Dodge anyway......

So my questions are:
1.) Can he get what he wants?
2.) Are Chevy trucks still as reliable as his 90 Scotsdale? That truck just seems bulletproof, and Consumer Reports says all the new Chevy trucks are plagued with quality issues....

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    the 327 is actually a 325 and is the 5.3 Liter V-8

You can get a "rubber" floor. Its a delete carpet option
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Go to GM's website and you literally can build the truck you want then e-mail it for quotes at dealers. (you'll pay more to this way unfortunately)

OR: Try Edmunds pricing under "new cars", look up and work up what you are looking for. This way you'll know exactly what the dealer is paying (invoice), MSRP and true market value.
    I did this when buying my Y2K Silverado ext. cab.
    Go to my profile and see just how I outfitted my truck. After getting my list of options wanted and totalling everything up I faxed to 10 dealers asking them "what do you want to sell me this truck for" the hungriest fish got the bait. I ended up paying invoice then a $500 rebate came out before I took delivery so I payed even less.

Ray T.
  • tk865tk865 Member Posts: 52
    After looking around, dropping a Crate motor in his Scottsdale seems likely. Chevy doesn't make a V8 or Extended cab 1500 with a manual. Dodge does, but he's not really comfortable with Dodge. I think he got a bit of sticker shock too, even though I told him about invoice and incentives.... He thinks $25,000 is just too much for a truck. Guess he's out of his league.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    with a drop in 502....sounds like a plan to me.
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    Sounds like a plan to me too Oby. And he will have a pretty rock solid truck, unlike the current model years.
  • dmdbitdmdbit Member Posts: 23
    Gm did recently discontinue the ext cab 5spd.They did offer it in 2000 as I currently have one.They did only offer the manual with the 4.3 and 4.8.
  • tk865tk865 Member Posts: 52
    Now he's coming around to Dodge, after I told him ALG residuals are the same for Chevy/Dodge.... He's still going to try a few more things with his Scotts, just to make sure it's not an oil pressure sending unit, or something simple. Yeah, his truck looks better than most of our late 90's (99,00) trades we get in. Not that's it's been "babyed", just VERY well maintained. The only paint is on the camper top where an explosion at the jobsite sent some rock chips into it. (His foreman's Ford had a BIG rock land on it. Not Good.) So I take it the newer Chevy's aren't up to what the older ones were, jaguar?
  • m1tommym1tommy Member Posts: 29
    I found a 1979 Chevy pickup with very low miles, 4WD. However, I've no clue about what to be wary of concerning the 4WD. This truck has "full time 4WD". A point to the proper forum, other links, advice or opinions are appreciated.
    Tommy
  • javman20javman20 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at an older model Chevy. Somewhere between 1962-66. The decal says it is a c20. The weird thing is that it is a 4x4. I thought if it was 62 4x4 it would be k20. So what year is it and is it worth getting?
    IMO, the newer Chevies are not built to the same standard that the older ones were. I had a 2001 Silverado 1500. It was plagued with problems from the start. I did like the truck, however constantly being at the dealer and the fact I did not need the big bed any more, caused me to part with it.

If you do a little research on here and some other sites, you will find that they are problematic.

On the flip side, my buddy has an old 90 and my Dad has a 94. Never had ANY problems. It just seems that GM's quality went down with the re-design in 99. Don't get me wrong, they are good trucks, but just not to my liking. You will find that some people on here have had very little if any problems, but this again seems to be rare.

Check out these links or do a search in google. Im sure you will be surprised/disappointed.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/gmpistonslap/
    http://agmlemon.freeservers.com/
  • black_silverblack_silver Member Posts: 39
    My last three trucks have been Chevy's, and they've all been troublefree.

1993 S10 Tahoe XC. Still in the family with over 180,000 miles.

2001 Silverado 1500 LT XC SB. Beautiful truck, but light of towing. Traded for.....

2003 Silverado 2500HD LT XC SB DuraMax/Allison. What a truck! Pulls stumps if you ask it, but great ride and fancy enough to take my honey to the Saturday night dance in high style.

Hans
  • cspauldingcspaulding Member Posts: 159
    GM's quality did seem to go down - I would check out Dodge (our next reg. cab will be a Dodge 1500).

We replaced our '00 Chev. (lemon) with an '02 F250 psd. and have had no problems (over 18,000 miles since July '02).

m1tommy...What do you mean by "full time 4wd"? It should have lockouts (on the hubs) I believe.

Chris
    Yeah I hear you on going over to Ford. Got rid of the shakerado, love my Supercrew! :)
This discussion has been closed.