Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Fuel Pump/Fuel Tank Problem

mausa1mausa1 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Jeep
Last Saturday, Feb 1, 2003, My '96 Gr Cherokee just sputtered to a stop in the high speed lane of a local highway. I had to get it towed to the dealer for diagnosis and repair. What I found out astonishes me.

It seems that putting gasoline in my fuel tank has caused my fuel pump to fail. I know, it seems ridiculous to me too, but its true. What's more, the dealer indicated it may be several days before he can get parts as several others are having similar problems.

The details: It seems in late 90's Chrysler put a liner in their fuel tanks that deteriorates or dissolves after prolonged contact with gasoline. The sludge that results fouls the fuel pump and the fuel pump eventually fails.

A call to Chrysler yielded only the form letter response "This vehicle is beyond it's warranty period, any maintenance is the responsiblity of the owner" that I have seen verbatim in other's postings on this site. .

When I inquired further, The Chrysler Customer Assistance Hot Line indicated that there were no others with similar issues. This is in direct conflict with the claims of my local Dealership's Service Mgr who has 2 others on his lot with this same problem and indicates he can't get parts because they are back-ordered.

SO, You can see, the replacement of the fuel tank and the fuel pump is obviously the owner's problem since I actually put Gasoline into my Gasoline Tank for the past 6 years!

Pretty Lame.

So let's do something about it! If you have had a similar occurence, please register it here. Daimler Chrysler arrogantly denies that there is any sort of trend - Let's show them a trend!

Comments

• 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Before you go too far, get a second opinion.
    I'm not saying that it isn't likely, but there are some other known problems.

Did they show you how they came to that conclusion?
    Did they take a sample of the fuel? Did they show you said sample?

There is a TSB on the fuel pump, before you replace the tank and pump, I would get a second opinion from another shop.
    Note where it states "In rare case where MULTIPLE fuel pump failures occur".

Here is the TSB.
    NO: 14-06-97
    GROUP: Fuel
    DATE: Jul. 3, 1997
    SUBJECT:
    Fuel Pump Diagnosis
    MODELS:
    1997 (TJ) Wrangler
    1996 (ZJ) Grand Cherokee
    1996 (ZG) Grand Cherokee - International Markets
    1994 - 1996 (XJ) Cherokee
    SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
    Symptoms may include no start, rough idle, long crank times, driveway die outs or erratic fuel pressure. A new fuel pump has been released which delivers improved performance. This pump should be used whenever fuel pump failures are encountered.
    DIAGNOSIS:
    Basic fuel system diagnostics should be used as outlined in the appropriate service manual. A brief recap of the basic diagnostics follows:
    Fuel pressure specification - 49 psi - plus or minus 5 psi.
    High fuel pressure indicates problems with the fuel pressure regulator. Refer to the service manual for regulator diagnosis. Do not replace the fuel pump for high pressure.
    Low fuel pressure - Low pressure could indicate a pump problem or it could indicate a plugged fuel filter or restricted fuel line or no fuel in the tank. Be sure to check these items before replacing the fuel pump.
    Fuel System Leak down - When checking fuel pressure be sure to check the integrity of the system after shut down. With the fuel pressure gauge connected, shut the engine off and observe the pressure gauge. The system should maintain at least 24 psi for five minutes after shut down. If the pressure bleeds off quicker, it could indicate that an injector is leaking down or that the pressure regulator is leaking. This can lead to driveablity problems and require further diagnosis.
    NOTE: IN RARE CASES WHERE MULTIPLE FUEL PUMP FAILURES HAVE OCCURRED ON THE SAME VEHICLE, A BUILD UP OF RESIDUE MAY HAVE ACCUMULATED ON THE INSIDE OF THE FUEL TANK. THE PRESENCE OF THIS RESIDUE IS NOT EASILY IDENTIFIABLE. THE RESIDUE CAN PASS THROUGH THE IN TANK FILTER AND CONTAMINATED THE PUMP ROTOR. IF MULTIPLE FAILURES HAVE OCCURRED WITH NO OBVIOUS INDICATION OF THE CAUSE, CONSIDERATION SHOULD BE MADE TO REPLACING THE FUEL TANK TO AVOID FUTURE PROBLEMS.
    PARTS REQUIRED:
    1 04762964 Pump Module - 1994-1995 XJ
    1 04798941 Pump Module - 1996 XJ
    1 04883261 Pump Module - 1996 ZJ
    1 04897754AB Pump Module - 1997 TJ - 15 gallon tank
    1 04897755AB Pump Module - 1997 TJ - 19 gallon tank
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    is from any type of tank lining. there is residue in your tank from several factors: condensation, poor fuel, etc. They can all hurt a fuel pump.

Having been a DCC shop manager, I've never seen "a tank lining" cause a fuel pump failure. Sounds like a load of bunk from the shop guy.

I do know that the Grand Cherokees and Cherokees have repetitive fuel pump issues, but a class-action suit or a letter-writing campaign won't change that.
  • john269john269 Member Posts: 3
    I reported to this board about my problem with fuel tank and pump (see other thread about fuel pumps under Town Hall-Jeep-Grand Cherokee). I had to have both items replaced on my '96 model. However, about 3K later, again I had a problem with the fuel pump. The dealer replaced the pump for free. I was told that this is so common that the dealers have to keep lots of pumps in stock, and not to be surprised if the replacement does not last for too long. Also told by the dealer that Jeep refuses to address the issue of poor quality replacement pumps.
This discussion has been closed.